HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
  #701
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
@TysonGiuriato
#Canucks prospect Evan McEneny grabbed one assist while Frank Corrado was plus-5 in the @OHLRangers 11-4 win today.


Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
  #702
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
@TysonGiuriato
#Canucks prospect Evan McEneny grabbed one assist while Frank Corrado was plus-5 in the @OHLRangers 11-4 win today.

Jeezuz... Corrado with a +5 (team leading) no points in an 11-4 win.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:38 PM
  #703
Waveburner
RIP Luc
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In Morrison's house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Too much exaggeration in this post.

To the best of my knowledge, scouts did not sour on Gaunce's shot, IQ, or acceleration. I wouldn't say they soured on anything, if there is one knock on Gaunce is he has slow feet (very good top speed), doesn't seem to take or make skilled plays at top speed, and his game isn't predicated on all out 'visible' effort (like a Jannick Hansen type guy).

His coach in Belleville compares him with Jordan Staal, not the player the role...all situations (1st PP, 1st PK, 5-3 for and against) good on the draw, strong on the wall, hard heavy shot, good vision.

I feel Staal will be the better guy taking on defenders and goalies one on one, but to say his shot is any heavier than Gaunce's at the same age is just wrong. Staal still doesn't have a great NHL 'shot', he scores most of his goals within 15 feet of the net.

Gaunce may not turn out anywhere as good as Staal (pretty unlikely) but I just didn't like the exaggerations and comparisons you drew in your post.

I like that a Joel Otto type is probably Gaunce's floor, that size and ability to grind on the cycle and along the boards will keep employed for a long time.
Yah there was probably some exageration in my post, but I think you are overstating the general consensus on Gaunce's offensive tools. By IQ I meant offensive IQ/vision mostly, and I am quite certain that teams did sour on this part of his game. Otherwise no way he drops to the late first in the weakest draft for forwards in over a decade. As for acceleration vs 'slow feet', I think we are arguing semantics here. His first few steps need improvment, if that's not acceleration then call it what you want. Staal did not have the same critique at draft age either.

I concede the point about his shot because I can't remember anymore. For some reason at the time I thought Staal was said to have a very heavy shot, but I could be just misremembering.

As for the coach comparing roles, really? Well of course Gaunce plays all those roles in the OHL, what first round center doesn't? I don't think that means anything whatsoever. He will not be playing first unit powerplay center in the NHL, and that was certainly the projection for Staal at draft time.

As for Otto as his 'floor', I do not agree. I see that as his probable ceiling, with a very slim chance for a bit more offense. I do see a high likelihood of reaching that ceiling however, which is why he is so appealing as a prospect.

Waveburner is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 08:49 PM
  #704
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
Gaunce was still a great pick where the Canucks were IMO. Third line is where I see his future, hopefully a Joel Otto type of player. I'll take that as a late first any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I like that a Joel Otto type is probably Gaunce's floor, that size and ability to grind on the cycle and along the boards will keep employed for a long time.
Any mention of Joel Otto is honestly ridiculous.

Otto is maybe the meanest, most physically dominant defensive center of all time. The guy was hard as a rock and regularly up near the 200 PIM range. Was also probably one of the top 5 faceoff men ever. Dynamic player.

Gaunce is a hard-working guy with a defensive conscience, but very little bite to his game. 28 PIM this year.

Gaunce's upside is to to be Brooks Laich-type tweener #2-3 center. If we get that return, that's absolutely terrific.

Personally I'm not a huge fan and think it's more likely that he's a servicable, space-filling #3-4 center who is a low-event big body in an NHL team's bottom 6 and puts up 25 or 30 points. There's just nothing dynamic in his game that makes me think it's a strong likelihood he'll put up points at the NHL level. I see quite a bit of Malhotra in him, to be honest.

MS is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 10:41 PM
  #705
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I like that a Joel Otto type is probably Gaunce's floor, that size and ability to grind on the cycle and along the boards will keep employed for a long time.
Gaunce's floor is an AHL scrub. There is no way Gaunce should be considered a sure-fire NHLer.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
  #706
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Gaunce's floor is an AHL scrub. There is no way Gaunce should be considered a sure-fire NHLer.
Gaunce's floor is what ever he is right now. Too many people just assume players get better. Gaunce wont get ANY better unless he works at it. 99.99% of the time players do but don't go saying his floor is a sure fire 11 year 3rd line center pro.. amirite?

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:11 PM
  #707
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,587
vCash: 500
Video here of Mallett giving someone a recent beat down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4D8V8lVllI

orcatown is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:18 PM
  #708
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING
 
Hansen 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Video here of Mallett giving someone a recent beat down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4D8V8lVllI
Man, Mallet can really fight


Speaking of the K-Wings, how's Grenier doing? Still PPG?

Hansen 36 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:23 PM
  #709
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Man, Mallet can really fight


Speaking of the K-Wings, how's Grenier doing? Still PPG?
Yup

1 goal, 9 assists in 10 games. +10 to boot

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
  #710
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING
 
Hansen 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Yup

1 goal, 9 assists in 10 games. +10 to boot
Nice! I wonder if he'll get called up to the AHL any time soon. Might be better if he stays in the ECHL for the season, he might develop and excel further there like Archibald did.

Hansen 36 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:22 AM
  #711
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Caught Beattie's last game. Currently on the 4th line LW with no special teams time.

He was not as physical as i've seen him before. I suspected an injury previously, possibly shoulder as i think he mentioned something on twitter, who knows. But he still skated as well as I remembered. Made one nice backcheck play in the first, dangled around a defender and passed but it didn't make it to his teammate. Not bad in 4 shifts.

2nd period, he splits the D with some stick handling and drives to the net. He was going backhand but the puck rolled off his stick as he ran out of room and he ended up in the goal. But very nice drive. Probably the best scoring chance of the period. Another good effort on the backcheck, just puts his head down and was the first forward back.

This line plays very short shifts and usually starts in the off zone. The 3rd period was bad for Yale though, they lost the game in this period and Beattie did not play much as they were trailing and trying to come back.

Still think he's got some good tools to work with. He needs 4 full years and should have a good opportunity to move up next season with 3 outgoing seniors up front. Crossing my fingers that this one doesn't quit.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 04:06 AM
  #712
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,033
vCash: 250
From a somewhat recent game. Unfortunate that K-zoo only seems to post highlights of home games - and even only some of them! (was looking for any video of that 4-point night from almost a month ago)

Only the 1 assist here but a nice pass by Mallet @ 0:54 nonetheless:


vanuck is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
  #713
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Caught Beattie's last game. Currently on the 4th line LW with no special teams time.

He was not as physical as i've seen him before. I suspected an injury previously, possibly shoulder as i think he mentioned something on twitter, who knows. But he still skated as well as I remembered. Made one nice backcheck play in the first, dangled around a defender and passed but it didn't make it to his teammate. Not bad in 4 shifts.

2nd period, he splits the D with some stick handling and drives to the net. He was going backhand but the puck rolled off his stick as he ran out of room and he ended up in the goal. But very nice drive. Probably the best scoring chance of the period. Another good effort on the backcheck, just puts his head down and was the first forward back.

This line plays very short shifts and usually starts in the off zone. The 3rd period was bad for Yale though, they lost the game in this period and Beattie did not play much as they were trailing and trying to come back.

Still think he's got some good tools to work with. He needs 4 full years and should have a good opportunity to move up next season with 3 outgoing seniors up front. Crossing my fingers that this one doesn't quit.
Good to hear, I really like this pick, seems to have a ton of potential, and that video of him playing whatever league that was that he was dominating really reminded me of a Steve Nash recruiting video I saw of him in high school, where he too was clearly well above his peirs.

racerjoe is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 10:27 AM
  #714
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Nice! I wonder if he'll get called up to the AHL any time soon. Might be better if he stays in the ECHL for the season, he might develop and excel further there like Archibald did.
I have a good feeling both he and Mallet will stay in the ECHL all year. Gillis seems to like the late bloomers, and big forwards. Because of this, I think we'll utilize the ECHL more now than we ever have before. These guys need to learn offense at the pro level, the ECHL is definitely a nice stepping stone between the Q and the AHL.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
  #715
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,081
vCash: 500
Anyone know what's with the week off in both Swedish leagues? All star break? Swedish spring break?

PRNuck is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:50 AM
  #716
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Anyone know what's with the week off in both Swedish leagues? All star break? Swedish spring break?
National team break. Most european leagues are having the week off.

Jevo is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:53 AM
  #717
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
National team break. Most european leagues are having the week off.
Ahh cool thanks, is Jensen expected to be able to play?

PRNuck is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
  #718
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Ahh cool thanks, is Jensen expected to be able to play?
Jensen should be over his shoulder injury and is expected to play.

Jevo is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:14 PM
  #719
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog
 
Ogie Goldthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NS via BC
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Video here of Mallett giving someone a recent beat down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4D8V8lVllI
Okay, if Gaunce isn't mean enough to be the next Otto, maybe Mallett could be.

Ogie Goldthorpe is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  #720
Epimetheus
Registered User
 
Epimetheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Japan
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I have a good feeling both he and Mallet will stay in the ECHL all year. Gillis seems to like the late bloomers, and big forwards. Because of this, I think we'll utilize the ECHL more now than we ever have before. These guys need to learn offense at the pro level, the ECHL is definitely a nice stepping stone between the Q and the AHL.
I really hope that one of them can beome 3rd line center a.k.a. nightmare matchup in 3-4 years.

Epimetheus is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 06:43 PM
  #721
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Since we know Gillis and Gilman were also scouting the NCAA, I figure now is a good time to take about NCAA free agents this season. (Canucks Scouts were also at UND-WIS this weekend, but I assumed that was for LaBate).

I've gotten a good look at Antoine Laganiere this season and I'd say he is amongst my top free agent this season, along with Andrej Sustr and Nate Schmidt. I'd also add Ryan Walters to my list of wants!

Laganiere definitely fits into the mold Gillis has been trending towards, a package of skill, speed and size. He covers a lot of ice in little time, seem him breakaway and drive to the net quite often. Also, with the system Yale plays, He is very aggressive on the forecheck and has thrown some strong hits along the boards. When you combine all of this with his hands, you can see why the Canucks first invited him to camp and why they are scouting him now in person. He is the player we'd want Beattie to become at the end of his 4 years.

Not that high on Zengrele anymore. Looked invisible in most of the games I've seen this season. Just doesn't create much and looks much less dynamic than he was when Schultz was there. TBH, the last couple games I watched, LaBate and Lee and Mersch looked much better than Zengrele.

Another FA I liked was Spiro Goulakos, but unfortunately he was just diagnosed with cancer. So I don't know what to do with that. He is definitely a very noticeable player for Colgate, solid defensively, can skate very well, very mobile, and has a high level of offensive awareness. The PP with and without him is stark. Hopefully he can recover and return next year?


Last edited by thefeebster: 02-04-2013 at 06:52 PM.
thefeebster is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
  #722
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,135
vCash: 1752
So disappointed in Suave. We took him over Schultz

Bgav is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 07:26 PM
  #723
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,033
vCash: 250
Nate Schmidt has been on my radar since last season. Wonder if the Nucks are interested?

vanuck is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 07:37 PM
  #724
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,956
vCash: 500
Would love Andrej Sustr to sing here. Beyond all the obvious stuff, he's so smooth despite his size and he's also a very smart guy.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 07:47 PM
  #725
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Would love Andrej Sustr to sing here. Beyond all the obvious stuff, he's so smooth despite his size and he's also a very smart guy.
No way he takes over from Donnelly during playoff season though.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.