HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
@TysonGiuriato
#Canucks prospect Evan McEneny grabbed one assist while Frank Corrado was plus-5 in the @OHLRangers 11-4 win today.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
@TysonGiuriato
#Canucks prospect Evan McEneny grabbed one assist while Frank Corrado was plus-5 in the @OHLRangers 11-4 win today.

Jeezuz... Corrado with a +5 (team leading) no points in an 11-4 win.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Too much exaggeration in this post.

To the best of my knowledge, scouts did not sour on Gaunce's shot, IQ, or acceleration. I wouldn't say they soured on anything, if there is one knock on Gaunce is he has slow feet (very good top speed), doesn't seem to take or make skilled plays at top speed, and his game isn't predicated on all out 'visible' effort (like a Jannick Hansen type guy).

His coach in Belleville compares him with Jordan Staal, not the player the role...all situations (1st PP, 1st PK, 5-3 for and against) good on the draw, strong on the wall, hard heavy shot, good vision.

I feel Staal will be the better guy taking on defenders and goalies one on one, but to say his shot is any heavier than Gaunce's at the same age is just wrong. Staal still doesn't have a great NHL 'shot', he scores most of his goals within 15 feet of the net.

Gaunce may not turn out anywhere as good as Staal (pretty unlikely) but I just didn't like the exaggerations and comparisons you drew in your post.

I like that a Joel Otto type is probably Gaunce's floor, that size and ability to grind on the cycle and along the boards will keep employed for a long time.
Yah there was probably some exageration in my post, but I think you are overstating the general consensus on Gaunce's offensive tools. By IQ I meant offensive IQ/vision mostly, and I am quite certain that teams did sour on this part of his game. Otherwise no way he drops to the late first in the weakest draft for forwards in over a decade. As for acceleration vs 'slow feet', I think we are arguing semantics here. His first few steps need improvment, if that's not acceleration then call it what you want. Staal did not have the same critique at draft age either.

I concede the point about his shot because I can't remember anymore. For some reason at the time I thought Staal was said to have a very heavy shot, but I could be just misremembering.

As for the coach comparing roles, really? Well of course Gaunce plays all those roles in the OHL, what first round center doesn't? I don't think that means anything whatsoever. He will not be playing first unit powerplay center in the NHL, and that was certainly the projection for Staal at draft time.

As for Otto as his 'floor', I do not agree. I see that as his probable ceiling, with a very slim chance for a bit more offense. I do see a high likelihood of reaching that ceiling however, which is why he is so appealing as a prospect.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:49 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
Gaunce was still a great pick where the Canucks were IMO. Third line is where I see his future, hopefully a Joel Otto type of player. I'll take that as a late first any day.
Quote:
I like that a Joel Otto type is probably Gaunce's floor, that size and ability to grind on the cycle and along the boards will keep employed for a long time.
Any mention of Joel Otto is honestly ridiculous.

Otto is maybe the meanest, most physically dominant defensive center of all time. The guy was hard as a rock and regularly up near the 200 PIM range. Was also probably one of the top 5 faceoff men ever. Dynamic player.

Gaunce is a hard-working guy with a defensive conscience, but very little bite to his game. 28 PIM this year.

Gaunce's upside is to to be Brooks Laich-type tweener #2-3 center. If we get that return, that's absolutely terrific.

Personally I'm not a huge fan and think it's more likely that he's a servicable, space-filling #3-4 center who is a low-event big body in an NHL team's bottom 6 and puts up 25 or 30 points. There's just nothing dynamic in his game that makes me think it's a strong likelihood he'll put up points at the NHL level. I see quite a bit of Malhotra in him, to be honest.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Gaunce's floor is an AHL scrub. There is no way Gaunce should be considered a sure-fire NHLer.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Gaunce's floor is an AHL scrub. There is no way Gaunce should be considered a sure-fire NHLer.
Gaunce's floor is what ever he is right now. Too many people just assume players get better. Gaunce wont get ANY better unless he works at it. 99.99% of the time players do but don't go saying his floor is a sure fire 11 year 3rd line center pro.. amirite?

Old
02-03-2013, 11:11 PM
orcatown

Video here of Mallett giving someone a recent beat down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4D8V8lVllI

Old
02-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post

Man, Mallet can really fight

Speaking of the K-Wings, how's Grenier doing? Still PPG?

Old
02-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Man, Mallet can really fight

Speaking of the K-Wings, how's Grenier doing? Still PPG?
Yup

1 goal, 9 assists in 10 games. +10 to boot

Old
02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Yup

1 goal, 9 assists in 10 games. +10 to boot
Nice! I wonder if he'll get called up to the AHL any time soon. Might be better if he stays in the ECHL for the season, he might develop and excel further there like Archibald did.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:22 AM
thefeebster

Caught Beattie's last game. Currently on the 4th line LW with no special teams time.

He was not as physical as i've seen him before. I suspected an injury previously, possibly shoulder as i think he mentioned something on twitter, who knows. But he still skated as well as I remembered. Made one nice backcheck play in the first, dangled around a defender and passed but it didn't make it to his teammate. Not bad in 4 shifts.

2nd period, he splits the D with some stick handling and drives to the net. He was going backhand but the puck rolled off his stick as he ran out of room and he ended up in the goal. But very nice drive. Probably the best scoring chance of the period. Another good effort on the backcheck, just puts his head down and was the first forward back.

This line plays very short shifts and usually starts in the off zone. The 3rd period was bad for Yale though, they lost the game in this period and Beattie did not play much as they were trailing and trying to come back.

Still think he's got some good tools to work with. He needs 4 full years and should have a good opportunity to move up next season with 3 outgoing seniors up front. Crossing my fingers that this one doesn't quit.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:06 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
From a somewhat recent game. Unfortunate that K-zoo only seems to post highlights of home games - and even only some of them! (was looking for any video of that 4-point night from almost a month ago)

Only the 1 assist here but a nice pass by Mallet @ 0:54 nonetheless:

Old
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Caught Beattie's last game. Currently on the 4th line LW with no special teams time.

He was not as physical as i've seen him before. I suspected an injury previously, possibly shoulder as i think he mentioned something on twitter, who knows. But he still skated as well as I remembered. Made one nice backcheck play in the first, dangled around a defender and passed but it didn't make it to his teammate. Not bad in 4 shifts.

2nd period, he splits the D with some stick handling and drives to the net. He was going backhand but the puck rolled off his stick as he ran out of room and he ended up in the goal. But very nice drive. Probably the best scoring chance of the period. Another good effort on the backcheck, just puts his head down and was the first forward back.

This line plays very short shifts and usually starts in the off zone. The 3rd period was bad for Yale though, they lost the game in this period and Beattie did not play much as they were trailing and trying to come back.

Still think he's got some good tools to work with. He needs 4 full years and should have a good opportunity to move up next season with 3 outgoing seniors up front. Crossing my fingers that this one doesn't quit.
Good to hear, I really like this pick, seems to have a ton of potential, and that video of him playing whatever league that was that he was dominating really reminded me of a Steve Nash recruiting video I saw of him in high school, where he too was clearly well above his peirs.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Nice! I wonder if he'll get called up to the AHL any time soon. Might be better if he stays in the ECHL for the season, he might develop and excel further there like Archibald did.
I have a good feeling both he and Mallet will stay in the ECHL all year. Gillis seems to like the late bloomers, and big forwards. Because of this, I think we'll utilize the ECHL more now than we ever have before. These guys need to learn offense at the pro level, the ECHL is definitely a nice stepping stone between the Q and the AHL.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
PRNuck

Anyone know what's with the week off in both Swedish leagues? All star break? Swedish spring break?

Old
02-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Anyone know what's with the week off in both Swedish leagues? All star break? Swedish spring break?
National team break. Most european leagues are having the week off.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:53 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
National team break. Most european leagues are having the week off.
Ahh cool thanks, is Jensen expected to be able to play?

Old
02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Ahh cool thanks, is Jensen expected to be able to play?
Jensen should be over his shoulder injury and is expected to play.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post

Okay, if Gaunce isn't mean enough to be the next Otto, maybe Mallett could be.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Epimetheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I have a good feeling both he and Mallet will stay in the ECHL all year. Gillis seems to like the late bloomers, and big forwards. Because of this, I think we'll utilize the ECHL more now than we ever have before. These guys need to learn offense at the pro level, the ECHL is definitely a nice stepping stone between the Q and the AHL.
I really hope that one of them can beome 3rd line center a.k.a. nightmare matchup in 3-4 years.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:43 PM
thefeebster

Since we know Gillis and Gilman were also scouting the NCAA, I figure now is a good time to take about NCAA free agents this season. (Canucks Scouts were also at UND-WIS this weekend, but I assumed that was for LaBate).

I've gotten a good look at Antoine Laganiere this season and I'd say he is amongst my top free agent this season, along with Andrej Sustr and Nate Schmidt. I'd also add Ryan Walters to my list of wants!

Laganiere definitely fits into the mold Gillis has been trending towards, a package of skill, speed and size. He covers a lot of ice in little time, seem him breakaway and drive to the net quite often. Also, with the system Yale plays, He is very aggressive on the forecheck and has thrown some strong hits along the boards. When you combine all of this with his hands, you can see why the Canucks first invited him to camp and why they are scouting him now in person. He is the player we'd want Beattie to become at the end of his 4 years.

Not that high on Zengrele anymore. Looked invisible in most of the games I've seen this season. Just doesn't create much and looks much less dynamic than he was when Schultz was there. TBH, the last couple games I watched, LaBate and Lee and Mersch looked much better than Zengrele.

Another FA I liked was Spiro Goulakos, but unfortunately he was just diagnosed with cancer. So I don't know what to do with that. He is definitely a very noticeable player for Colgate, solid defensively, can skate very well, very mobile, and has a high level of offensive awareness. The PP with and without him is stark. Hopefully he can recover and return next year?

Last edited by thefeebster: 02-04-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
So disappointed in Suave. We took him over Schultz

Old
02-04-2013, 07:26 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Nate Schmidt has been on my radar since last season. Wonder if the Nucks are interested?

Old
02-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Tiranis

Would love Andrej Sustr to sing here. Beyond all the obvious stuff, he's so smooth despite his size and he's also a very smart guy.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:47 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Would love Andrej Sustr to sing here. Beyond all the obvious stuff, he's so smooth despite his size and he's also a very smart guy.
No way he takes over from Donnelly during playoff season though.

Closed Thread