HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 01:31 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
I think this whole line juggling thing gets more attention than needed. He's experimenting, and as 77 said using for a few different other reasons. A lot of team do it. It's not always about the hear and now, you build thru the year to try and get all the bugs worked out and peaking for POs. ESP with a lead like ours. It also effects other teams scouting ( which is heavier leading up to POs)

There a ton of reasons he does this. He's here to win the marathon not every game

Come POs hell go with what's worked and what he feels gives them the best shot and his guess will be more educated and better than ours.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Sure does! See, he didn't want to juggle the lines during the streak for fear of that being the reason the streak getting broken. Also during the streak, if you recall he did juggle lines out of necessity due to suspensions and injuries. You are just noticing it more now as he gets more creative
I would attribute the 'struggling now' (although we seem to be on the right path as of late), to the shake up at the deadline. Even small changes can send a ripple effect throughout a solid team.
Remember last year when we got McKegg...why on earth would a team go to the crapper after adding a player like Mckegg? Doesn't make sense does it...but we did. And I attribute that to the shake up of chemistry. It happens.
We aren't playing for a streak right now, and with the lead we have in first it isn't panic time so I think the development of the players has become a priority and the line juggling is just one aspect of it.
Shake up at the deadline.... 2 players left and 1 was with the team early then another joined then Sefton. I don't see that as a shake up ... that's just me. Shake up is dealing Harrington or someone like that.

I'm still waiting to see that player McKegg was suppose to be... I think the Leafs are too.

Right now it's about bad habits and trying to keep them out. Right now I'm see too many.... shifts that are way to long... certain players 5 on 5 are out there 1:30+, effort level, defensive coverage looks like a mad scrammble for a football(better against OS), the lack of team playing, passing the puck and needless penalties that don't even need to be taken but are.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:53 PM
SimonKnightsman

I agree on too many guys getting caught out there at the 1 minute mark of a shift. Sorry for yur luck and now it's in yur net. This is where I miss Donskov, Rammage who were really tight with shifts.....I recall Donskov just giving it to a pair of forwards in Niagara last spring...yelling, and one was their best player.

They will sort this out it takes time and they still have 3 new players to fit in. It's not as easy as people think...takes time but things do smoothen out.

The 2 SO games are great first step but now that PP has to get real. Into PO with weak PP and yur dead road kill far to often.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Shake up at the deadline.... 2 players left and 1 was with the team early then another joined then Sefton. I don't see that as a shake up ... that's just me. Shake up is dealing Harrington or someone like that.

I'm still waiting to see that player McKegg was suppose to be... I think the Leafs are too.

Right now it's about bad habits and trying to keep them out. Right now I'm see too many.... shifts that are way to long... certain players 5 on 5 are out there 1:30+, effort level, defensive coverage looks like a mad scrammble for a football(better against OS), the lack of team playing, passing the puck and needless penalties that don't even need to be taken but are.
Sometimes a personality or two coming or going is enough of a shake up and we, not being in the room, will never know.
I agree that McKegg underperformed but my point was when you add a potential 50 goal scorer you shouldn't get worse, only better....but it took time to gel, and he never did make his mark scoring goals with us, but as a faceoff guy and some good play in both ends sure helped us.
Ares emphasized my point in that come the stretch/playoffs, it will all work out. Rather lose games now than later.
You make a good point, long shifts and some disoranization are hindering us at the moment....and when you get results like we did on the weekend, somebody is doing something right (goalies).
All in all, its nice to have these small things to complain about as a first place team....could be worse (see Windsor - sorry guys).
Looking forward to the matchup against Sarnia...better not be a let down!

Old
02-04-2013, 03:58 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
I agree on too many guys getting caught out there at the 1 minute mark of a shift. Sorry for yur luck and now it's in yur net. This is where I miss Donskov, Rammage who were really tight with shifts.....I recall Donskov just giving it to a pair of forwards in Niagara last spring...yelling, and one was their best player.

They will sort this out it takes time and they still have 3 new players to fit in. It's not as easy as people think...takes time but things do smoothen out.

The 2 SO games are great first step but now that PP has to get real. Into PO with weak PP and yur dead road kill far to often.
The powerplay can be frustrating but I think it is an overrated thing in the OHL. London was average on the PP last year too and it didn't matter, it's the 5 on 5 play that mattered. Plus, with the way the OHL has been letting interference and stickwork go again the last couple seasons, PPs are even less important than before and into the playoffs. It's funny, watching NHL games right now, they are at least attempting to call the interference but the O seems to have reverted back to pre 2005 rules. Not necessarily a bad thing for London, with their big D they should take advantage of it.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:43 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I think this whole line juggling thing gets more attention than needed. He's experimenting, and as 77 said using for a few different other reasons. A lot of team do it. It's not always about the hear and now, you build thru the year to try and get all the bugs worked out and peaking for POs. ESP with a lead like ours. It also effects other teams scouting ( which is heavier leading up to POs)

There a ton of reasons he does this. He's here to win the marathon not every game

Come POs hell go with what's worked and what he feels gives them the best shot and his guess will be more educated and better than ours.
I've been critical of Hunter at times, and his 'curious' line juggling, but you are right about the PO--Hunter does a great job preparing the team for the PO--they are always ready to go.
Last game (vs. OS) was a step in the right direction...they played inspired hockey and that's all I ask for.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Snippit

Good road game for the Knights. Think they're really in Owen Sound's head right now. Still, regular reason records don't mean much when the playoffs roll around (past two Kitchener and London series, for example). Good to hear Max is okay.

Just noticed only 9 points separate 3rd from 7th. That's gonna be the real race going down the stretch. Oddly enough, 7th might be more desirable than 5th or 6th, since you'd play the winner of that weak division. Though I'm confident Plymouth will win, since they're hot and Sarnia lost Gally. So depends if you'd rather have OS or Plymouth.

Fairly confident of this much: 1 - London 2 - Plymouth

Think OS, Kitchener, Guelph, Soo and Sarnia will battle for the next 3-7 spots. Might be a 9 point gap, but the Soo is coming on hard. Sarnia has been struggling without their top player, so I'll slot them in at 7th. The other 4 teams are pretty inter-changeable at this point, but OS has the upper hand.

Saginaw with a comfy lead over Windsor, and I expect that to stay. So looks like I'm predicting London vs Saginaw and Plymouth vs Sarnia.

Speaking of the Spits, I don't like their chances at the Memorial Cup bid if they can't make the playoffs. Doubt they're going to give it to a non-playoff team after what's happening in Saskatoon. Worst part is, Windsor didn't really rebuild. Held onto Khokhlachev and got Aleardi, neither of whom will be back. Koekoek was a good deal since he'll be returning, but he's gone for this year. Even with these additions, they might not make the playoffs.

London could probably put together the best bid, but with it being so recent, I think this one could go to Barrie.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:12 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
The other 4 teams are pretty inter-changeable at this point, but OS has the upper hand
OS better start playing hockey on a more consistant basis because they'll have a very short playoff run if they don't. On the powerplay right now, it's rather the "Ceci show" and as good as Ceci is, it seems like it's creating a chemistry problem. Speaking of chemistry, the lines has changed considerably and the players seems to be having a hard time finding chemistry with the new lineups. I hope they find their grove, it's not the speed and the skill that is missing on the team. The coaching staff have their work cut out for them, and have just a few games to find the problem.

Not scoring a single goal in a game, even against London, is unacceptable with a lineup like OS.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
OS better start playing hockey on a more consistant basis because they'll have a very short playoff run if they don't. On the powerplay right now, it's rather the "Ceci show" and as good as Ceci is, it seems like it's creating a chemistry problem. Speaking of chemistry, the lines has changed considerably and the players seems to be having a hard time finding chemistry with the new lineups. I hope they find their grove, it's not the speed and the skill that is missing on the team. The coaching staff have their work cut out for them, and have just a few games to find the problem.

Not scoring a single goal in a game, even against London, is unacceptable with a lineup like OS.
It really isn't surprising and especially because the player you added changes a large dynamic in that he plays a lot of minutes and quaterbacks the PP.
Given some time, talent usually reigns supreme. Just takes some time to find that chemistry.
Now if they had made several large changes, you might worry that the chemistry would not form. Not the case here.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:08 PM
SimonKnightsman

It does take time to build chemistry but they still have Daniel Catennacci...one guy I would not want to count on to carry my team into PO hockey.

People keep mentioning Plymouth as some high almighty juggernaut, they are what their record says and that's being generous. They still have a very suspect D and net minding ....first round fodder for someone.

Guelph, Kitchener, Soo are not what you want in round one. I hope Saginaw holds the 8 seed.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
clearwater

Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
JL17

Aside from Owen Sound and Saginaw and maybe Sarnia every other team in the West has questionable goaltending heading into the playoffs.

Teams that I can see winning the West... London, Soo, OS and Sarnia in that order. Sarnia I think drops out of the running without Galchenyuk.

I think the most dangerous team is the Soo going forward.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
It does take time to build chemistry but they still have Daniel Catennacci...one guy I would not want to count on to carry my team into PO hockey.

People keep mentioning Plymouth as some high almighty juggernaut, they are what their record says and that's being generous. They still have a very suspect D and net minding ....first round fodder for someone.

Guelph, Kitchener, Soo are not what you want in round one. I hope Saginaw holds the 8 seed.
The playoffs is another level of intensity. Throw regular season, stats and tendencies out the windows. There is a whole new level of competition and drive. The teams that want it the most win. You can't count out any team as every aspect of the game gets tightened up.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:52 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.
I would agree the Spirit have been playing great since Christmas

I would think that Windsor would be the desired 8th place team

considering 1 probably 2 of their best D-men are out for the season,a forward

may be lost for the year too with concussion issues,sort of like if the Knights

were to lose Harrington and Maata for the year not 3 weeks like at Christmas

Most if not all teams would struggle if 2 of their best D guys were lost for the year

leaving their oldest guy at 18 at that position,not an excuse but a factor

I know injuries are a part of the game

Old
02-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I would agree the Spirit have been playing great since Christmas

I would think that Windsor would be the desired 8th place team

considering 1 probably 2 of their best D-men are out for the season,a forward

may be lost for the year too with concussion issues,sort of like if the Knights

were to lose Harrington and Maata for the year not 3 weeks like at Christmas

Most if not all teams would struggle if 2 of their best D guys were lost for the year

leaving their oldest guy at 18 at that position,not an excuse but a factor

I know injuries are a part of the game
Agreed. Windsor would be my preference for several reasons, but for somebody to suggest that we wouldn't want to play Saginaw in the first round baffles me. Why, because they beat us during the season. As another posted said about Plymouth and this rings true to Saginaw, they are what their record says they are and Sagnasty are sans Trochek, and their "team canada goalie" (what a joke) has average stats at best. Bring it on. We are in first for a reason and Saginaw aint shakin me.

Soo looks good, Kitchener could be scary, Guelph doesn't worry me at all (although they should worry some other teams).
Either way, playoffs is a different beast...every team elevates to a certain degree.
Favourite time of year, lookin forward to it.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:01 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Agreed. Windsor would be my preference for several reasons, but for somebody to suggest that we wouldn't want to play Saginaw in the first round baffles me. Why, because they beat us during the season. As another posted said about Plymouth and this rings true to Saginaw, they are what their record says they are and Sagnasty are sans Trochek, and their "team canada goalie" (what a joke) has average stats at best. Bring it on. We are in first for a reason and Saginaw aint shakin me.

Soo looks good, Kitchener could be scary, Guelph doesn't worry me at all (although they should worry some other teams).
Either way, playoffs is a different beast...every team elevates to a certain degree.
Favourite time of year, lookin forward to it.
People commenting probably because anything can happen,ie injuries to both Londons
goalies,dont think Treavor Wheaton would take London to the promised land,the fact that Saginaw despite trading Trochek have been one of the best teams in the OHL
and have been real good since just before the Christmas break,while the Knights have been average for the most part
The West will be a dog fight in the playoffs,and if anybody including the Knights
takes someone as being easy it may not be pretty

Old
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Aside from Owen Sound and Saginaw and maybe Sarnia every other team in the West has questionable goaltending heading into the playoffs.

Teams that I can see winning the West... London, Soo, OS and Sarnia in that order. Sarnia I think drops out of the running without Galchenyuk.

I think the most dangerous team is the Soo going forward.
I hear that Gibson kid in Kitchener is not too bad either!

Old
02-05-2013, 05:43 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
Good call... I've been looking at game sheets and haven't seen his name because he's injuried.

Kitchener is a dangerous team and I'd stick them in a tie with the Soo right now.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
I also hear that Sparks kid in Guelph is not too bad also!

Gibson is out for the month of February with a hip flexor but will be back to get in most of the games in March.
IMHO the team with the weakest goalkeeping is Plymouth and will be their achilles heal!

Old
02-06-2013, 06:02 AM
SimonKnightsman

Rangers will likely and up with another huge second rnd PO unless they draw the Soo early. Windsor with their D or not where never going to push London anyway Legend...not happening. When PO begin the ream quickly floats up and those teams that are 4 lines deep usually move on. London can roll 3 sets of D starting in rnd one as good as any in CHL...and defence wins. Guelph are going to surprise some people once they get healthy, and they will. The Soo,s lack of pure talent will begin to show once good teams start to smother Cousins and Tolchinsky and not carrying you to the promised land. Murray in net....MEH....

Old
02-06-2013, 07:37 AM
sbrug

Quote:
Rangers will likely and up with another huge second rnd PO unless they draw the Soo early. Windsor with their D or not where never going to push London anyway Legend...not happening. When PO begin the ream quickly floats up and those teams that are 4 lines deep usually move on. London can roll 3 sets of D starting in rnd one as good as any in CHL...and defence wins. Guelph are going to surprise some people once they get healthy, and they will. The Soo,s lack of pure talent will begin to show once good teams start to smother Cousins and Tolchinsky and not carrying you to the promised land. Murray in net....MEH....
Hard to say London's defence is as good as anyone's in the CHL when they aren't even top 3 in GA in the O. Sefton's had a hard time here so far. And I'm not sure Dale will use a 17 year old import that much in the playoffs. I would but that's me.

As far as other teams, Sarnia also lost Murphy for the season and they've been sliding a lot lately. Don't know why London would care if they get Saginaw or Windsor in round 1. Not an arrogant statement I just don't see London having any trouble in round 1. If Guelph or the Soo is meeting London in round 2 then I can see upsets.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:09 AM
JL17

Quote:
I'm not saying Ryan Sproul is Marc Staal but there a player that can carry a team. I'm not sure there record but they seem to win alot with Sproul in the lineup. IMO London doesn't have anyone to match Sproul. Right now secondary scoring is showing up in the Soo also. It's just there goaltending that is questionable.

Well Maatta seemed to do alright as a 17 year old import last season. If Dale doesn't use all 6 D in the playoffs he's not using his bench properly. We don't need to run down our top 4. I'd be more confident with Raine and Zadorov as a pairing but what can you do.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
SimonKnightsman

Sproul aside who on that Soo team worries you? One line teams don't do so well in 7 game series , ask Niagara. Dale will role 4 up front and all 6 d.....don't worry about Sefton he will be fine. A big D always takes time to find his groove and where he fits....he goes from a room where he was #2 to a team where he now sits in the lower end of D....and he is ok with that. He walks into London's dressing room and prolly never seen that much skill on his defence before. Once he gets settled in people will begin to what he brings and that will physical hockey and punishing forwards every night to wear them down.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:59 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Sproul aside who on that Soo team worries you? One line teams don't do so well in 7 game series , ask Niagara. Dale will role 4 up front and all 6 d.....don't worry about Sefton he will be fine. A big D always takes time to find his groove and where he fits....he goes from a room where he was #2 to a team where he now sits in the lower end of D....and he is ok with that. He walks into London's dressing room and prolly never seen that much skill on his defence before. Once he gets settled in people will begin to what he brings and that will physical hockey and punishing forwards every night to wear them down.
This post shows you haven't watched much of the Soo, they have 11 players who have scored 10+ goals 8 of them being forwards so it's far from a one line team. They have big forwards like Alderson, Schumaker, and Broll who can cause problems. I don't think London would lose to the Soo but I also believe the Soo matches up very well with London.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
This post shows you haven't watched much of the Soo, they have 11 players who have scored 10+ goals 8 of them being forwards so it's far from a one line team. They have big forwards like Alderson, Schumaker, and Broll who can cause problems. I don't think London would lose to the Soo but I also believe the Soo matches up very well with London.
My comparison Marc Staal had Justin Donati and Nic Foligno. Sproul has 2 forwards as well plus some other guys that are scoring.

------------

Sefton has been playing like this all season. Not just here. Read some stuff the Wolves fans have said about him. Excuses get old considering he's played 9 games.

Closed Thread