HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barnes tells it like it is

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2003, 09:22 AM
serum114

vCash: 500
Barnes tells it like it is

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...A-F176E9ABD18E

Well, you get away from the Edmonton Sun (nee Comrie) and into the Edmonton Journal--with apparently no need to be beholden to advertisers or local business big wigs--and you get this, Dan Barnes' stellar piece which, IMO, captures the mood of Edmontonians to a T. It doesn't hurt that he takes a couple swipes at the Brownlees and Jones' of the world either...

Old
12-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Oilhitch

What a difference of opinion. I for one support what Barnes has to say

Old
12-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Watts02

Great read! And the part about more trade partners popping up once the demand was leak, well that should tell all you nay sayers (if there are any left) that the rest of the GM's won't hold a thing against Kevin. Now only if we can win 5 of the next 7........

Old
12-13-2003, 09:48 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Excellent article.

By the way, did anyone happen to catch the MC cartoon in the Journal yesterday? It had three Oilers sitting on the bench, with a high-chair in between two of them. The second player said "The bench just isn't the same without Comrie."

Old
12-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Oi'll say!

It's great to hear that the vast majority of Oilerfans support Lowe in this, initially there were a lot of eyebrows raised by his demands.

Great article by Dan Barnes

Old
12-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Scorpion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
Excellent article.

By the way, did anyone happen to catch the MC cartoon in the Journal yesterday? It had three Oilers sitting on the bench, with a high-chair in between two of them. The second player said "The bench just isn't the same without Comrie."
HAHAHA!! AWESOME!!

Old
12-13-2003, 11:42 AM
The Rage

CANADIAN PRESS: reports Oilers GM Kevin Lowe has been fielding calls of "overwhelming support" from the hockey communityfor his request of payment from the Comrie camp before signing off on the trade of the youngster to Anaheim. Lowe claims his request isn't unreasonable.

I think it's safe to say that Lowe has strong support.

Old
12-13-2003, 12:40 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

This is what Edmontonians feel. Go to Calgary Puck, and you will see a HUGE difference of opinion.

Old
12-13-2003, 12:50 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Nichols has also polled the ownership and found overwhelming support for Lowe. The owners spent too much money on Comrie - about $12 million in 21/2 years according to Nichols - and it was a risk they hadn't really been prepared to take.
Nichols said the owners agreed to the lucrative bonus structure in Comrie's deal only if the bonuses were insured.

"The first year there was no panic. The second year the insurance options began to dry up and then came 9/11 and they all dried up," said Nichols.
"We got caught paying it all."

They were counting on Comrie as a long-term investment, one that would deliver more and cost less in years four and five. But Comrie bolted instead.
"$12 million in 2 1/2 years" this number keeps growing and if the Oilers don't realize a big immediate return on this investment this will go down as the worst signing in the Oilers' history! Mikey you'd better take the best buyout available and get out of town fast. I'm for letting you sit for the next 8 years so your average wage ends up being 1.14 mil U$ a year. It would be an expensive lesson for the Oilers but it just might be the right tone to set! Given you are the Oilers' property, and if you want to become a big fish in a the big NHL pond somewhere you might want to consider what it would be like to finish-out your bigtime career in say Switzerland. Good banking $ystem they have there I hear.

How egotistical do you have to be to take that much cash and have no loyalty to your teammates, your coaches, the organization and city which gave you the chance to excell. You spoiled brat you, being paid bigtime and afforded the privilege of playing in the NHL while other more deserving players were cut adrift, just so you could bite the hand that nutured and fed you mounds of cash. Do you really think any other team would have put you on the 1st line, let you make the mistakes you made and continued giving you a 1st line spot with all kinds of PP time too boot? The answer is NO!!!

Give your inflated head a big shake and make the buy out deal and take the many millions of dollars you will still have left and stop hurting your ex-teammates. What goes around comes back around even if you would attempt to justify bad behavior with the excuse: "I am only following advice from ... "

Old
12-13-2003, 01:17 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
This is what Edmontonians feel. Go to Calgary Puck, and you will see a HUGE difference of opinion.
I wouldn't expect Flames fans to say anything nice about anything concerning the Oilers but I'll bet that if you talk to their management or ownership they are thrilled that somebody has finally stood up to be counted.

Old
12-13-2003, 01:29 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

man was that a great article or what. heres to you barnes . great to hear the truth and not the bs from brownlee and jones. hey jones more like your article blew up in your face, so much for swinging the masses towards the comrie camp. nice try. :p

Old
12-13-2003, 07:11 PM
Winn

Can someone go to the trouble of posting that Edmonton Journal article for me please? I've been trying all day to access the Journal's web page from where I am and all I get is a "cannot find server" message. It would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old
12-13-2003, 07:23 PM
barto

Just keep in mind that while the Sun may want to suck up to The Brick for advertising dollars, the Journal is (or was?) a part-owner of the Oilers, at the lowest level possible, mind, and they weren't part of the 'ante up' deal 2 years ago so their stake is diluted further, but still...

I LOVED Barnes' article, don't get me wrong, but let's not go too far in suggesting the Journal wouldn't also have a vested interest in taking the management's side on this.

Still glad I have a subscription to the Journal, though, rather than the Sun...

Bart

Old
12-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Digger12

Let's just say that the stances of both papers aren't exactly a surprise, you know?

Old
12-14-2003, 12:33 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn
Can someone go to the trouble of posting that Edmonton Journal article for me please? I've been trying all day to access the Journal's web page from where I am and all I get is a "cannot find server" message. It would be much appreciated. Thanks
Fed-up fans show zero sympathy for Comrie

Dan Barnes
The Edmonton Journal

Saturday, December 13, 2003
EDMONTON - The people have spoken.

They have also applauded, lauded, cheered, praised, complimented, thanked, hailed and supported Oiler general manager Kevin Lowe for his demand of $2.535 million US from Mike Comrie.

It's truly mind-boggling.

Listen to the sports radio phone-in shows. Check the e-mail responses on various sports news and fan-driven web sites all across Canada.

This was not, as some of us had predicted, a public relations gamble that would at best split Lowe's loyal following and at worst blow up in his face.

Not even close.

If Lowe doesn't have 100-per-cent support among the grassroots for his attempted reversal of Comrie's fortune, then it's oh-so-close. He's gold. He can do no wrong.

Knowingly or not, when Lowe demanded a cash rebate from Comrie before he would sign off on a trade with the Mighty Ducks earlier this week, the Oiler executive tapped into the psyche of the fed-up Canadian hockey fan. He did it by jabbing a needle into the eye of the spoiled professional athlete and practically everybody outside the Comrie inner circle rejoiced.

With Lowe and the team currently out of the city, messages of fan support are being delivered to Oilers shareholders.

"As I walk around town, people pull you over," said Cal Nichols, chair of the Oilers' ownership group. "It just happened today. Somebody said, 'If you're talking to Kevin, tell him he's doing the right thing.' I've had almost nobody phone to say you're ruthless or unethical."

Nichols has also polled the ownership and found overwhelming support for Lowe. The owners spent too much money on Comrie - about $12 million in 21/2 years according to Nichols - and it was a risk they hadn't really been prepared to take.

Nichols said the owners agreed to the lucrative bonus structure in Comrie's deal only if the bonuses were insured.

"The first year there was no panic. The second year the insurance options began to dry up and then came 9/11 and they all dried up," said Nichols. "We got caught paying it all."

They were counting on Comrie as a long-term investment, one that would deliver more and cost less in years four and five. But Comrie bolted instead.

Whatever Lowe can do to mitigate the financial damage is OK with ownership.

"We see this as management protecting the assets of the Oilers and the community," said Nichols. "What he's doing is everything he can to be competitive."

Fans agree. Instead of building serious sympathetic support for Comrie, this twist has done the opposite.

Lowe's monetary move has rallied the masses even more behind his cause and against Comrie.

Oilers defenceman Tom Poti, that soft stickchecker from Boston, didn't evoke this much anger. Nor did Jason Arnott, a floater through games.

It is now quite safe to say Comrie will go down in history as the most vilified Oiler holdout of his era or any other.

This city's fans love to hate him. He has kept the Team 1260 sports talk radio station in business for three months. It's all Comrie, all the time and late afternoon hosts Bob Stauffer and Mark Spector ought to send him a Christmas gift.

Comrie should have a sackful of goodies sent his way. Canada Safeway could send sour grapes. New York Rangers GM Glen Sather has kindly donated some ice fishing equipment. There are nice fruit baskets from Poti and Arnott, who are thankful.

Hockey Canada has chipped in with a round-trip ticket to Davos for Comrie to attend the Spengler Cup. That's one gift he might actually use, although Lowe said Friday he would try to move Comrie before the Dec. 19 roster freeze.

"It's Christmas and I'm spending countless hours trying to get this done. I have as human a side as anybody. I don't want this hanging over his head forever," said Lowe, who added that he hasn't been surprised by the support for his strategy.

He obviously wants full value for Comrie. If he doesn't get it from Anaheim, he'll look elsewhere. On the flip side, the furor over his request for Comrie to "top up" the Duck deal has led to trade inquiries from several other teams.

"At least they know what our demands are now," he said.

Lowe played a different hand than anyone expected on Monday and he scored a huge win in the court of public opinion. Though he definitely had his share of detractors before that day, they cannot get a word in edgewise anymore.

dbarnes@thejournal.canwest.com

© Copyright 2003 Edmonton Journal

Old
12-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Yanner39

Never was a big fan of what Lowe did, but I support him in trying to get the best deal he can, however he can. I thought asking for the cash from Comrie was a little weird, but it's quite obvious that the Ducks weren't going to give him FMV, so he'd ask Comrie for it. I really believe Lowe doesn have and always had the Oilers best interest at heart. Way to go K.lo!

Old
12-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Winn

I appreciate you posting the story Oi'll say. It's a great article and was most likely written by Barnes to set the Edmonton public straight as to how the majority of people are looking at Lowe's actions. The Sun's opinion of this whole fiasco is pretty biased which is becomes totally obvious when reading anything written by Jones or Brownlee. It's nice to see someone present something that not only contradicts Brownlee and Jones, but actually has some facts and quotes in it instead of just some unconfirmable rumours from unnamed sources. Great read! Thanks again!

Old
12-15-2003, 12:18 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
i live in calgary and everyone i know here thinks lowe's request is awesome.

the flames posters around here are just pissed because button landed zainullin for their spoiled brat (who has 14 goals this year btw). they kept ranting about how we would end up with the same thing. unfortunately for them the worst the oilers are looking at a 1st round pick and a solid prospect. more proof that button was possibly the worst GM of all time.

Old
12-15-2003, 01:27 PM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
i live in calgary and everyone i know here thinks lowe's request is awesome.

more proof that button was possibly the worst GM of all time.
And he didn't stop there, Button is now vying for the coveted double:worst GM and worst TV analyst!

I'm also a Calgarian and most who I've discussed it with feel it was a move long overdue. There is the prevailing feeling creeping in to many conversations I've had that the biggest problem with the CBA has nothing to do with the CBA. The CBA works fine. The owners/GMs simply don't use it to their advantage.

When they do, as Lowe did, they shock the hell out of people and make some very angry. Most people I've talked to said what Lowe did was a move LONG overdue.

I agree.

Old
12-15-2003, 03:10 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
And he didn't stop there, Button is now vying for the coveted double:worst GM and worst TV analyst!

I'm also a Calgarian and most who I've discussed it with feel it was a move long overdue. There is the prevailing feeling creeping in to many conversations I've had that the biggest problem with the CBA has nothing to do with the CBA. The CBA works fine. The owners/GMs simply don't use it to their advantage.
Another Calgarian here. Most of the people here I've talked to are Oiler fans anyway, so I haven't been able to get a read from Flames fans myself.

However I saw Button on the Score last week talking about how he thought the move was such a bad one. At least he admitted that he isn't very close to the situation, but he intimated that it was the wrong thing to do.

Looking at the return he got for Savard, it sounded to me like sour grapes. It just proved how terrible of a GM Button was, and although I'm a die-hard Oiler fan it is good to see someone more competent in the GM chair in Calgary.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:36 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
although I'm a die-hard Oiler fan it is good to see someone more competent in the GM chair in Calgary.
I agree completely. There are lots of things I don't like about Sutter as a coach but I gotta tell you that I can't imagine him being intimidated by an agent or his whiney client either. It's time for the oil and the flames to be competing and hating each other at the top rather than the bottom of the playoff picture again. Until that happens we should be together in getting this mess straightened out.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:38 AM
Smaug

vCash:
Speaking as an old fart who remembers the classic Oiler/Flame battles of the 80's when Alberta was known as "death valley" to visiting NHL teams, I can definitely say it is more fun to hate the Flames when they are good team. I can only applaud their recent improvements, and hope the process continues untill the Oilers and Flames can duke it out in the confrence finals. Then, of course, it is every fan for himself

Old
12-16-2003, 09:09 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug
Speaking as an old fart who remembers the classic Oiler/Flame battles of the 80's when Alberta was known as "death valley" to visiting NHL teams, I can definitely say it is more fun to hate the Flames when they are good team. I can only applaud their recent improvements, and hope the process continues untill the Oilers and Flames can duke it out in the confrence finals. Then, of course, it is every fan for himself
Agreed. It's pathetic when pity tempers a good, healthy HATE.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:26 AM
reg dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
I wouldn't expect Flames fans to say anything nice about anything concerning the Oilers but I'll bet that if you talk to their management or ownership they are thrilled that somebody has finally stood up to be counted.
i for one am a flames fan, and i think Kevin Lowe is outstanding.. he is not getting pushed around, and he wont be told what to do by a spoiled baby.. us small market teams are all in this together; lets hope other gm's follow suit..

Closed Thread