HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign D-men Nolan Baumgartner (2 years, 2.4mil) and Lars Jonsson (1 year, 942k)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2006, 06:01 PM
  #76
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
and Meyer and Vandermeer. Clarke has a knack of finding these players so let's hope this one is another diamond in the rough.
How important of a role do you see Freddy Meyer playing next season?

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:04 PM
  #77
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack View Post
You guys are making Baumgartner up to be a god, and at 1.2 million he's definitely not.

Enjoy him.
Who in the world is making Baumgartner out to be a god?

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:05 PM
  #78
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Who in the world is making Baumgartner out to be a god?
Canuck fans. Just go back to some game threads and you'll see the negativety thrown at this guy by the fans, oh how quickly people on Hfboards forget about players.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:16 PM
  #79
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
OK, I checked around HF's Boston page for scouting reports on Johnson. He is no longer listed as a prospect, but there are old articles that have a few blurbs on him. He is written well of, but the main concern in Boston seems to be that he would never sign with them . Reminds me a bit of Drozdetsky, who by all accounts is NHL material but doesnt seem to want to come over.

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=1233

Quote:
Jonsson is an incredible skater whose smooth, effortless stride and great puck control remind scouts of Scott Niedermayer. His blistering shot and no-holds-barred rushing style draws comparisons to Sandis Ozolinsh. He is able to cut in and out of the neutral zone like a streak, and has excellent lateral mobility which allows him get back into the play. His shot and quick release make him dangerous in the offensive zone and he is an outstanding power play quarterback. The bad news? Jonsson needs some work in his own end. Because he is ultra-aggressive offensively, he gets caught out of position and has been known to blow assignments in his own end, leading to goals against. Defensive zone deficiencies aside, Jonsson is so talented a player, that it was easy for Boston to take the chance on him. You can teach better defensive play, but you either have the requisite skills to play Jonsson's style of game or you don't. Because he also has good hockey sense, the Bruins figure him to be a winner.
Quote:
8-28-2005
7. (7) Lars Jonsson, D Age: 23
Acquired: 1st Round, 7th overall (2000) Grade: 7.5C

Possibly one of the most highly anticipated of Boston’s prospects, Jonsson has yet to become the offensive dynamo that so many have predicted. The 2000 first round draft pick continued play in his native Sweden for Timra with 11 points in 50 games during the 2004-05 season. While defensive play in his own end has been an issue in the past, Jonsson still demonstrates his phenomenal skating ability and glimpses of just how dangerous he can be offensively.

Jonsson is loaded with talent. The biggest question, however, isn’t so much what he can or can’t do, as it is to wonder when -- or if -- he will finally come to the States. Jonsson hangs onto his spot in the rankings by virtue of the fact that he is so gifted, but his stock is on the verge of crashing. It’s now been five years since the young Swede was drafted, and if Boston doesn’t coax him overseas soon, there’s a strong possibility they never will.
http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7882


Quote:
4-11-2005
7. (6) Lars Jonsson, D – 23 – Timra IK (Sweden)

In stark contrast to the blueliners ahead of him on this list, Jonsson is a pure offensive talent. Expectations were high when the Bruins used the seventh selection in the 2000 draft on the slick Swede, yet in four subsequent seasons, Jonsson has yet to explode offensively. Originally he struggled to stay in the top league in Sweden. This past season, he put five goals and 11 points in 50 games with Timra IK, which was almost identical to his previous season with Leksands IF.

The offensive tools are undeniable. His skating was compared to Scott Niedermayer at the draft, his offensive gifts to Sandis Ozolinsh. He has all the makings of both a leader of the counterattack, and a power play quarterback. Although his defense has slowly improved since being drafted, he seems to have trouble combining stable defense and dangerous offense at the same time. The best course of action for Jonsson would be to come over to North America and work on his game for a season in Providence, but his hype is dying, and sooner or later, he could be labeled a suspect, not a prospect.
http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7647


Quote:
9-17-2004
7. Lars Jonsson, D (Drafted 7th overall, 1st round in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft)
Jonsson has remained in Sweden ever since Boston drafted him four years ago. A puck-moving blueliner, he had a strong year with Leksands IF last season, recording career highs in virtually every offensive category. He has attended training camps for the Bruins over the last few seasons, indicating he is interested in joining the NHL, but so far, nothing further has resulted. He still needs some work in his own end, and it wouldn't hurt if he played the body more, but what could really help him is some time playing in North America.
http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7199

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:02 PM
  #80
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post

...
i'm liking the sound of him. at the very least it's a good type of player to take a chance on. it may be that he isn't capable of playing well enough defensively to be an everyday player at the NHL level... however, in the right situation he may thrive.

lets hope for the best. 27 pts in 50 games over in the SEL is nothing to scoff at IMO.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:42 PM
  #81
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,345
vCash: 50
If Jonsson sucks on defense you can bet he'll never see the ice as long as Hitchcock is around.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:56 PM
  #82
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack View Post
Canuck fans. Just go back to some game threads and you'll see the negativety thrown at this guy by the fans, oh how quickly people on Hfboards forget about players.
Ah, but you said "you guys are making Baumgartner up to be a god." Perhaps you are mistaken, but this is not the Canucks board.

____________________________

I'd rather have anyone over Chris Therien, and Baumgartner isn't Therien, so I'm not complaining. And he's not led footed, so that's a bonus.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:28 PM
  #83
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If Jonsson sucks on defense you can bet he'll never see the ice as long as Hitchcock is around.
Hitch may not have a choice... let it play out.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:50 AM
  #84
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i'm liking the sound of him. at the very least it's a good type of player to take a chance on. it may be that he isn't capable of playing well enough defensively to be an everyday player at the NHL level... however, in the right situation he may thrive.

lets hope for the best. 27 pts in 50 games over in the SEL is nothing to scoff at IMO.
nor is his 50% shooting ratio!

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:56 AM
  #85
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,345
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hitch may not have a choice... let it play out.
He will when we get another defensemen.




Because it's going to happen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:59 AM
  #86
Art Vandelay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Baumgartner confirmed at 1.2 million.

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...phy.asp?ID=278

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:48 PM
  #87
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 33,205
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack View Post
Canuck fans. Just go back to some game threads and you'll see the negativety thrown at this guy by the fans, oh how quickly people on Hfboards forget about players.
well regardless of what they are saying. he is a 5/6 guy who is still a upgrade over Chris Therien and Randy Jones. At least this guy can skate.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:11 PM
  #88
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
I love how some people are already throwing in the towel because of things like this. Really dedicated Flyers fans you guys are.......

HOW can so many people be negative about these 2 guys when we have NO CLUE how they're gonna play with this team. Personally, Jonsson sounds like he could possibly fill a horribly large speed gap in our defense, and Baumgartner should put up good points if he doesn't spend significant time in the minors improving(I'm guessing he might). There are players that are meant for certain teams, just because you guys think that they're useless doesn't mean they won't blow up and be amazing. This league is meant for the young players. I've actually got confidence in this because like I've said all year our problem on D was speed.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:14 PM
  #89
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Jeez, jump off a bridge.
I don't know much about either guy, but they have to be upgrades from Chris Therien and Randy Jones.
And if you think they'll miss the playoffs, you're really nuts.
I think one poster is pissed they didn't they're screename
BTW, I'll agree with this too. Everytime Randy Jones steps onto the ice we lose.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
  #90
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
People who are upset by this should look around the league and tell me how we can have a roster full of star players and live under a salary cap. If we have a generous 15 mil budgeted for Defense, how are we supposed to sign an established name player, and fit everyone under the cap if Pitkanen demands big money, no one wants Hatcher or Rathje in a trade, and we are thin on NHL ready defensive prospects? We only spent 2 mil, because we only really have two mil to spend at this position with two roster spots available. Seeing what was thrown at free agent defensemen this summer, we had to look for value. Show me a single free agent defenseman who was better, that signed for less, and didnt give their team a home town discount. Jonsson is a very intriguing signing, and could bust or potentially wind up one of the best signings in the NHL. Baumgartner does not have the upside, but is better than Jones, Printz, Timonen and probably Picard.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:39 PM
  #91
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom View Post
well regardless of what they are saying. he is a 5/6 guy who is still a upgrade over Chris Therien and Randy Jones. At least this guy can skate.
I'll give him that.

What role is Freddy Meyer going to play on the Flyers this year? I'm assuming top 4 minutes.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:43 PM
  #92
donelikedinner
Registered User
 
donelikedinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a house
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
wow, what a thread of divas dishing out dirt! time to change your tampons ya bunch of mangina's. it will be the end of the world when we finish dead last in the east and just plain disappointing if the Flyers don't make the playenoffs. Till then, take 2 midols as required and grow some balls.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:50 PM
  #93
Art Vandelay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack View Post
I'll give him that.

What role is Freddy Meyer going to play on the Flyers this year? I'm assuming top 4 minutes.
Probably depends on Jonsson, if Jonsson makes the team out of training camp you'll probably see Meyer's minutes go down.

Right now it looks like this:
1st pair: Pitkanen - Rathje
Gauthier and Hatcher each has a spot in the two other pairs.
Baumgartner is probably a given as the 6th d-man

Jonsson and Meyer will battle it out for a spot in the top-4, as they both seem similar in style and are on two-way contracts. The one who doesnt make the team will probably be 50/50 on the Flyers/Phantoms.

This is all of course if everyone is healthy...

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:12 PM
  #94
glovesave*
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Penn
Country: United States
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Actually. I do buy season tickets.
Well good, but if you're that upset at these signings don't buy them and ignore the team. It's that simple.

glovesave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
  #95
glovesave*
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Penn
Country: United States
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
I love how some people are already throwing in the towel because of things like this. Really dedicated Flyers fans you guys are.......

HOW can so many people be negative about these 2 guys when we have NO CLUE how they're gonna play with this team. Personally, Jonsson sounds like he could possibly fill a horribly large speed gap in our defense, and Baumgartner should put up good points if he doesn't spend significant time in the minors improving(I'm guessing he might). There are players that are meant for certain teams, just because you guys think that they're useless doesn't mean they won't blow up and be amazing. This league is meant for the young players. I've actually got confidence in this because like I've said all year our problem on D was speed.
Great post, and I agree. It's hysterical that on July 2nd people were already saying the season was lost. I had to talk a few people from jumping off a bridge yesterday. Those that are naysaying were never real Flyers fans to begin with.

Our ONLY net loss is Kim Johnnson (Hillary S****'s twin), who didn't play 40 some games last year, and we still managed 45 wins and 101 points in the standings.

What else have we lost?? Yet, now all of a sudden the Flyers suck? Give me a break...

Screw the haters and nay sayers. We don't need ya.

glovesave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
  #96
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
People who are upset by this should look around the league and tell me how we can have a roster full of star players and live under a salary cap. If we have a generous 15 mil budgeted for Defense, how are we supposed to sign an established name player, and fit everyone under the cap if Pitkanen demands big money, no one wants Hatcher or Rathje in a trade, and we are thin on NHL ready defensive prospects? We only spent 2 mil, because we only really have two mil to spend at this position with two roster spots available. Seeing what was thrown at free agent defensemen this summer, we had to look for value. Show me a single free agent defenseman who was better, that signed for less, and didnt give their team a home town discount. Jonsson is a very intriguing signing, and could bust or potentially wind up one of the best signings in the NHL. Baumgartner does not have the upside, but is better than Jones, Printz, Timonen and probably Picard.
Excellent post! Thank you for the voice of reason!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:29 PM
  #97
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave View Post
Our ONLY net loss is Kim Johnnson (Hillary S****'s twin), who didn't play 40 some games last year, and we still managed 45 wins and 101 points in the standings.

What else have we lost?? Yet, now all of a sudden the Flyers suck? Give me a break...

Screw the haters and nay sayers. We don't need ya.
Lost Forsberg for 40 games, not enough? The season hasn't started yet. Primeau played 63 games in 3 years. No one said Flyers suck.
I offered a small rebuild, became a public enemy #1.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:40 PM
  #98
donelikedinner
Registered User
 
donelikedinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a house
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Lost Forsberg for 40 games, not enough? The season hasn't started yet. Primeau played 63 games in 3 years. No one said Flyers suck.
I offered a small rebuild, became a public enemy #1.
maybe its because you made a lousy first impression and many here think you're just a goof spewing garbage?

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:59 PM
  #99
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
i don't think theres a chance in hell that meyer doesn't play signifigant minutes this season

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:08 PM
  #100
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,345
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan View Post
I guess he'll have to switch his screen name. Or switch to the Wild message boards.

I actually frequent the Wild boards, have for a while. They're already on my shortlist of teams who I root for.

I have a few ideas in store now

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.