HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: PED's in Hockey

Old
02-04-2013, 09:32 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
It goes further than that with Ray Lewis... I might just be making assumptions here... But the guy clearly looks like he's on Cheque drops for big games. I mean...Crying during the anthem? Jesus.. It's either that or he's on Cocaine.

He has looked younger and had alot more vigor in those playoff games too... Maybe you it was just about stepping it up for the playoffs I don't know... But the question need's to be asked.
That's what I don't like about all of this. Assumptions and accusations, people examining, in Ray Lewis' case, his recovery, his play and abnormal emotions pre- and post-game. I found it as strange as you by the way, but what do I know of his past experiences and his emotional stability and what not.

Same thing goes with his performances this year. The guy has always been good, definitely a Hall Of Famer, so was this stepping up to his last plate appearance, or was it something more?

And this can go on and on, for example with players coming back from injuries (some serious, others less) and performing even better than before. Oh, so should we link them to PEDs as well, since that's prevalent in sports these days? It should be the league's job to fight this, not ours.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
That's what I don't like about all of this. Assumptions and accusations, people examining, in Ray Lewis' case, his recovery, his play and abnormal emotions pre- and post-game. I found it as strange as you by the way, but what do I know of his past experiences and his emotional stability and what not.

Same thing goes with his performances this year. The guy has always been good, definitely a Hall Of Famer, so was this stepping up to his last plate appearance, or was it something more?

And this can go on and on, for example with players coming back from injuries (some serious, others less) and performing even better than before. Oh, so should we link them to PEDs as well, since that's prevalent in sports these days? It should be the league's job to fight this, not ours.
My main problem with Ray is that he's too damn intense for being a sane person Damn he's scary.
I've played alot of football and I've never really played with someone who was like him or against but if I was I'd sure would crap my pants

Imagine being a WR and needing to slant in OUCH Knees weak

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
There is some lack of research, but that I know of there has been two studies that show that testosterone is not harmful on healthy adult males.
Interesting stuff, I'm going to try and educate myself about this.

I know it'll never happen... but it would be great to see one of the major sports leagues put a bunch of money into commissioning some of these studies.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

I know it'll never happen... but it would be great to see one of the major sports leagues put a bunch of money into commissioning some of these studies.
It is harmful... Most of the people that take performance enhancer admit that it's harmful.

It's the same thing as all drugs or bad food...
If you smoke all your life you'll pay for it.. If you smoke once? Won't affect really...

Thing is to see substantial results, you need more than one cycle. Wich means it's longterm, wich means its harmful.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:57 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

Galchenyuk94 is way off base here

Roll out a list of retired football players and pro wrestlers and you'll see a list of cemetery fodder mixed in with the guys enjoying their twilight years.
Before his death Lyle Alzedo (a raider from back in the day) came out and spoke against the use of PEDs and growth hormones and he attributed his pending death to them. The list of dead wrestlers is worse than that of the football players.

G94 is not the only one here to come out of a "gym' environment.
I've known hockey players from back in the late 80s and 90s trying to make it that were on equivar and winstrol.
Now, the sky is the limit with drugs like MT(methyltrienolone)and other designer roids making their way to the market the combinations are infinite. Its not uncommon to have athletes taking mutiple PEDs at a time.

Let's make one thing clear, your first cycle will likely be your weakest cycle. There is no going soft on PEDs, when you take em you take them for their impact and gains they provide. There is no "i'll just take a little".

One point where I do agree with G94 is to throw the doors wide open let all pro athletes use them, if not, the leaugues should then stop being hypocrites and clamp down on it. Start a rigorous testing schedule in order to stop the use of PEDs, there is no middle ground.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post

Roll out a list of retired football players and pro wrestlers and you'll see a list of cemetery fodder mixed in with the guys enjoying their twilight years.
Before his death Lyle Alzedo (a raider from back in the day) came out and spoke against the use of PEDs and growth hormones and he attributed his pending death to them. The list of dead wrestlers is worse than that of the football players.

I've known hockey players from back in the late 80s and 90s trying to make it that were on equivar and winstrol.
Now, the sky is the limit with drugs like MT(methyltrienolone)and other designer roids making their way to the market the combinations are infinite. Its not uncommon to have athletes taking mutiple PEDs at a time.

Let's make one thing clear, your first cycle will likely be your weakest cycle. There is no going soft on PEDs, when you take em you take them for their impact and gains they provide. There is no "i'll just take a little".

One point where I do agree with G94 is to throw the doors wide open let all pro athletes use them, if not, the leaugues should then stop being hypocrites and clamp down on it. Start a rigorous testing schedule in order to stop the use of PEDs, there is no middle ground.
One point about the wrestlers who've passed on... Painkillers is what really did a lot of them in. Oxycotin is poison.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:

Lyle Alzedo's death was not linked to steroid use. in his case I should say abuse though.

The problem with some people who abuse steroids is that they often use other illicit recreational substances as well.

Dr Harrison Pope, an expert on the subject, is a great read if you have the time. 250mgs of exogenous testosterone per week has been studied on healthy adult males, and no significant health risks were attributed to them. Meanwhile loads of prescription drugs with serious health problems are being ingested daily in North America, but it's okay because they ''have a prescription for it''.

I disagree about just taking a little isn't effective. If you take 600mgs of test a week (use), and the other guy takes 2g of test a week (abuse), he won't get better results. His body can't use all of that testosterone, he'll just convert it to estrogen and cause health problems, as well as some funny physical changes

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:04 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Lyle Alzedo's death was not linked to steroid use. in his case I should say abuse though.

The problem with some people who abuse steroids is that they often use other illicit recreational substances as well.

Dr Harrison Pope, an expert on the subject, is a great read if you have the time. 250mgs of exogenous testosterone per week has been studied on healthy adult males, and no significant health risks were attributed to them. Meanwhile loads of prescription drugs with serious health problems are being ingested daily in North America, but it's okay because they ''have a prescription for it''.

I disagree about just taking a little isn't effective. If you take 600mgs of test a week (use), and the other guy takes 2g of test a week (abuse), he won't get better results. His body can't use all of that testosterone, he'll just convert it to estrogen and cause health problems, as well as some funny physical changes
Most people dont do pre and post cycle therapy either. but they should.
Your doctor is quite interesting, he stated himself that he believes that long-term PED abuse may lead to cardiovascular issues - more studies are required with controlled groups and so on.

Now tell me in today's day and age, other than in the bay area where is one to find a doctor willing to prescribe PEDs in proper dosages to adult healthy amateur athletes and gym rats?

Old
02-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Most people dont do pre and post cycle therapy either. but they should.
Your doctor is quite interesting, he stated himself that he believes that long-term PED abuse may lead to cardiovascular issues - more studies are required with controlled groups and so on.

Now tell me in today's day and age, other than in the bay area where is one to find a doctor willing to prescribe PEDs in proper dosages to adult healthy amateur athletes and gym rats?
Key word is long term abuse.

To amateur athletes and healthy young gym rats? No where, not in Canada anyways. It's all underground labs. I suspect you can get blood tests done while you're doing PCT and have abnormally low hormone levels and try to get pharmaceutical grade prescribed, but who knows.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:19 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Key word is long term abuse.

To amateur athletes and healthy young gym rats? No where, not in Canada anyways. It's all underground labs. I suspect you can get blood tests done while you're doing PCT and have abnormally low hormone levels and try to get pharmaceutical grade prescribed, but who knows.
Thats why very few people stick to 250 mgs per week or less

A few years back there was an interesting poll taken of north american olympic athletes; 90% said that they would take PEDs even if death was assured a few years later on the condition that they were guaranteed gold. Says a lot about the drive of athletes.

MT a fave amongst bodybuilders helps build muscle while shredding, thus helping the athlete stay in their weight class, yet a few grams a week more can lead to fatal failures in the liver and kidneys.
Yet, the athletes still take them

Old
02-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Thats why very few people stick to 250 mgs per week or less

A few years back there was an interesting poll taken of north american olympic athletes; 90% said that they would take PEDs even if death was assured a few years later on the condition that they were guaranteed gold. Says a lot about the drive of athletes.

MT a fave amongst bodybuilders helps build muscle while shredding, thus helping the athlete stay in their weight class, yet a few grams a week more can lead to fatal failures in the liver and kidneys.
Yet, the athletes still take them
Well there's obviously ethical issues in studying large amounts of steroids on individuals, but the scientific double blind studies that have been done were for 250 mgs of testosterone.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Galchenyuk94

And I had to look up MT because I had never heard of it. Oral trenbolone pretty much, damn. Trenbolone is 10x more anabolic and 10x more androgenic than testosterone.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Galchenyuk94

But bodybuilders aren't the ones we should be looking at, but athletes. Bodybuilders are insane with the quantity of steroids they take.... and they still drop dead in their 70's.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:51 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
But bodybuilders aren't the ones we should be looking at, but athletes. Bodybuilders are insane with the quantity of steroids they take.... and they still drop dead in their 70's.
Not a couple I've known unfortunately.

And as for MT that's just one in many, PEDs is not a finite world its actually quite the opposite. As for oral vs svp, i'll take the svp any day.
But I digress.............

Old
02-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Roulin

Reading through the NHLPA's summary of the new CBA, found this on PED testing: "during the off-season (no more than 60 tests per off-season and subject to NHL/NHLPA agreement on logistics and off-season testing protocols)"

...so if a player were to use PEDs only in the offseason, there would be a maximum 8.5% (60 out of ~700 players) chance that he'd be tested, if the NHL decided to do the max number of tests. Reduce that further to account for whatever "logistic" requirements have to be satisfied, and then take into account successfully masked doping and testing errors. Seems like avoiding getting caught is a pretty good bet.

Of course, if the NHL are doing the max 60 tests, randomly, and no NHL'er fails, that says something else. I don't expect the league to release that info, AFAIK they never have in the past, which is curious, as the whole reason for testing seems to be to assuage fan fears?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

subban still wears a livestrong bracelet. he's a doper.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote