HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Michel Therrien

Old
02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Guess

vCash: 500
I think that one of the big tests for MT will be how he handles the Eller situation.

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
The puck is definitely moving in the right direction, but Martin never had a defence this good and this healthy. The team looks great, but I think we need more time to understand Therrien's impact.
There is a reason this team looks great. They are motivated. They are playing as a team. They have bought into Therriens system of up tempo hockey because they know that style of play works

With Martin, the team was going through the motions because they had to play his passive system.

Coaching matters. This season shows it

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:54 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
I think that one of the big tests for MT will be how he handles the Eller situation.
Ellet has more to do with his own situation than Therriens does. Can he play the system that he is being asked to play?

Time will tell

Old
02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
Agreed................But in order to handle the big bad GOONS tomorrow night, I think White should replace Eller.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
There is a reason this team looks great. They are motivated. They are playing as a team. They have bought into Therriens system of up tempo hockey because they know that style of play works

With Martin, the team was going through the motions because they had to play his passive system.

The problem with Markov and Gionta wasn't motivation, it was their broken bodies. I don't know that Scotty Bowman in his prime could have motivated Darche and Campoli into being adequate replacements.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

MT had a good first season with the habs during his first go-around too. He far exceeded anyone's expectations on the back of Theodore's MVP season. Its still amazing that team made the playoffs with no koivu for the majority of the season, and then kocked off Boston.

Jury is still out whether he can last a few years though. Actually, you would have to go back quite a ways to find a coach that lasted 5 years in this organization.

Anyways, I had little doubt that this team would be better this year. Lower expectations, and a healthier lineup alone would accomplish that. So far, this team has performed beyond anyone's wildest expectations, but again, we'll see how it is when the honeymoon period is over.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:21 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
The problem with Markov and Gionta wasn't motivation, it was their broken bodies. I don't know that Scotty Bowman in his prime could have motivated Darche and Campoli into being adequate replacements.
Systems can make a decent player bad. On the other hand, systems and motivation can make a decent player over-perform.

Last year was not a Stanley Cup team. Nor was it a last place team. But we ended there and the Martin/Gauthier era ended.

So, thanks Jacques for hastening your own demise.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Agreed................But in order to handle the big bad GOONS tomorrow night, I think White should replace Eller.
If he uses Eller and do not dress White then that means we're back into typical Habs wussy coachs situation that we've had since forever.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Travis Moen

I don't like Therrien

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:22 PM
SB164

Michel Therrien on Tout le monde en parle.

Very interesting and candid interview. In French.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions...parle/saison9/

Edit: And afterwards, check out the Priyanka Chopra interview

Last edited by SB164: 02-05-2013 at 10:46 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:23 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If he uses Eller and do not dress White then that means we're back into typical Habs wussy coachs situation that we've had since forever.
Or perhaps he understands that goal scoring and puck possession > stupid penalties when it comes to winning hockey games

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

Well, I can see that along with these things, this team is definitely more "technically proficient" than they EVER were under Martin as well. PK is already reining in some of the stupid decisions that he is prone to making in the past. Passes from everybody is tape-to-tape, and are made very deliberately. Fellow players put themselves in good position to receive passes. And the guys are crashing the net far more than they ever did under Martin. Hell, even Tomas Kaberle has started shooting the puck, something he was averse to doing ever since he was traded to Boston.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:35 AM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Well, I can see that along with these things, this team is definitely more "technically proficient" than they EVER were under Martin as well. PK is already reining in some of the stupid decisions that he is prone to making in the past. Passes from everybody is tape-to-tape, and are made very deliberately. Fellow players put themselves in good position to receive passes. And the guys are crashing the net far more than they ever did under Martin. Hell, even Tomas Kaberle has started shooting the puck, something he was averse to doing ever since he was traded to Boston.
MT does whatever he feels is best for the team.....Old Kaberle actually had his best game EVER as a hab against the Sabres on Saturday then he sat out on Sunday......That`s MT....lol....MT likes speed and offense. I just hope he realizes what an offensive threat he has with Subban. I`ve said it before and i`ll say it again, PK Subban can put the puck in the net and is a heads up player who can set up some pretty goals. LET HIM RUSH THE PUCK MORE......if he was playing in L.A. do you NOT think he`d be rushing it more ? Why is it that in Montreal we want 'stay at home D men ?" I don`t get it. Surely a forward could drop back and cover for him........LOVE to see him nail a couple of goals against the big bad GOONS tonight ! Can`t wait..........KICK SOME BUTT HABS !

Old
02-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Habblues

I was shocked that White did not play against the Bruins tonight.....WOW.......Could have used his energy.......
I`d really like to see Colby Armstrong get some top line icetime....He has a great release from the slot and is able to get us that dirty goal when we need it. He`s proven himself agaist the Habs for many years and was always a thorne in our side so why isn`t MT using this guy ???........I like Travis but he just doesn`t have the hands and Eller is still a ***** cat (too soft).....Like to see Armstrong play with guys who can feed him in front of the net.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:01 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Systems can make a decent player bad. On the other hand, systems and motivation can make a decent player over-perform.

Last year was not a Stanley Cup team. Nor was it a last place team. But we ended there and the Martin/Gauthier era ended.

So, thanks Jacques for hastening your own demise.
Coaching is vastly overrated. You need players who are good. Bad coaches have won cups, some more than once. Good coaches with bad teams don't.

Coaching style is basically semantics. Some might seem more exciting to the eye, but in the end, the players matter, not the coach.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:26 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't know what White could do against the Ruins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Coaching style is basically semantics. Some might seem more exciting to the eye, but in the end, the players matter, not the coach.
Normally I'd agree but the fact is that Therrien is doing a lot of little things that Carbonneau and Cunneyworth didn't, e.g.

- He had the good sense to make Plekanec (and not DD) the 1st line offensive center, as can be seen from the PP units in the first practices.
- He distributes more ice time to the top lines, unlike Carbonneau who thought that Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Latendresse was the number one line.
- He is putting in the effort to shelter the rookies, Galchenyuk and Gallagher. They have Brandon Prust on their line helping out, and they're not getting the toughest matchups and being put in a position to fail.
- He's not afraid to change the lineup if the team wins a game but can still be improved.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't know what White could do against the Ruins.

Normally I'd agree but the fact is that Therrien is doing a lot of little things that Carbonneau and Cunneyworth didn't, e.g.

- He had the good sense to make Plekanec (and not DD) the 1st line offensive center, as can be seen from the PP units in the first practices.
- He distributes more ice time to the top lines, unlike Carbonneau who thought that Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Latendresse was the number one line.
- He is putting in the effort to shelter the rookies, Galchenyuk and Gallagher. They have Brandon Prust on their line helping out, and they're not getting the toughest matchups and being put in a position to fail.
- He's not afraid to change the lineup if the team wins a game but can still be improved.
He had a strong first couple of games, but at this point Prust is a liability on that line, IMO. I'd like to see him back in a dedicated checking role.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I was shocked that White did not play against the Bruins tonight.....WOW.......Could have used his energy.......
I`d really like to see Colby Armstrong get some top line icetime....He has a great release from the slot and is able to get us that dirty goal when we need it. He`s proven himself agaist the Habs for many years and was always a thorne in our side so why isn`t MT using this guy ???........I like Travis but he just doesn`t have the hands and Eller is still a ***** cat (too soft).....Like to see Armstrong play with guys who can feed him in front of the net.
I thought we had tons of energy but a lack of finish. Not sure how White helps Plekanec DD and co finish their chances.

If Thornton was playing then having White is more of a need.

Hard to kick anybody off the forwards, Eller definitely is playing well since getting back in, Armstrong might be the only option and he's been solid.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He had a strong first couple of games, but at this point Prust is a liability on that line, IMO. I'd like to see him back in a dedicated checking role.
Yeah would be a good spot for Eller full time...can even swap Eller/Galchenyuk at center.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:12 AM
ClasslessGuy

I would've liked a timeout after the second goal

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:39 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Yep, totally agree.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Same... I had to go pee

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
yianik

I have alway hated constant line juggling given my belief hat guys need some time to gel and lines can be inconsistent just like individual players. I also can see why you would stick with Patches- DD - Cole as they were a number one line last year. I als seethe benefits at times of having Prust out wth the kids. However, I really want MT to play around a bit with the lines, especially when it comes to Eller. We know Eller can be a pretty solid guy defensively, we also know he has an offensive skill set but we really don know what his ceiling is because he doesnt get much of a chance to play with at least one skilled winger .We need to give him this chance so that we really know what we have with this guy for a whole bunch of reasons. We have a pile up of centres now, who is the future (except for Gally and maybe Pleks ) and who isn't ? Do you pay DD top 2 centre money when his contract is up, because if you do that must mean Eller is gone or is a winger. If we trade Eller I don't want to see him lost for relatively nothing. If he is given a chance with another team and he lights it up for them and we traded him as a defensive 3rd liner we lose bad on a trade, we have done this too often in the past. So I hope we give Eller a chance with the kids or maybe a skill winger like Patches and/or Cole. This is nothing agains DD, he deserves full credit, but we do need to see what this Eller kid can do becase MB has some big decisions to make regarding our centres and to do that guys, like Eller, need the chances to be successful (and I think MT does that in large part, we just have a bit of jam right now) . Even if you think Eller should be traded, I don't at this pint, we at least need to get full value for him and to discover his true value he needs to play with talent night in and night out for a bunch of games.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:39 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

MT put him with the kids at the end of the third. I think MT sees Eller is playing his ass off on a **** line and he'll promote him. I'm confident he'll be good for the career of Eller and will help him be a better player. Eller has all the tools, he just needs the toolbox.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
BlackStar

I think it's almost clear that Eller is going to play with the kids soon enough. Prust has done a good job with them, but his help is no longer much of a need on the nice anymore. Eller with the kids would be a good third line.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote