HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Remember when everyone was so upset with not drafting Tyler Myers?

Old
02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Didn't the Kings give up a first rounder too? The Kings are in need of draft picks as the farm system isn't giving us anything but grinders.
Our system has produced a ridiculous amount of players. Look at our Cup winning roster, we produced Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Voynov, King, Martinez, Clifford, Loktionov, Lewis, Nolan, Quick and Bernier, all of whom played half a season with us or were key in the playoffs. Of that group, only Loktionov and Bernier didn't play in the cup run. Additionally, if you want to talk about guys who were 'developed' by the Kings from last year, you can add in Jack Johnson, Westgarth and Drewiske, who all came up through the Kings system in one way or another. That is 15 players, and only Dustin Brown can be said to have been 'developed' prior to DL (Kopitar and Quick were Taylor picks, but speaking developmentally, they were brought up under the DL system). So that'd be 14 players developed and turned into an NHL player through the Kings system on the Kings team last year. That was done since 2006, so over a 6 year span we developed 14 players, which is over two per year. That's a very good rate.

And that doesn't include guys we partly or fully developed who went elsewhere and had success, such as Purcell, Boyle, Moulson, Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn, or even partial successes, like Oscar Moller, Scott Parse.

Basically, we are producing roughly three NHLers per year through the draft or other methods under DL, with many of them being key players at all positions, how many teams do that?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:06 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

And I'd still take Myers. I say the kid figures it out and will be a star in this league when all is said and done.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:03 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
That is his exact scouting profile. I take scouts words on it. In fact that is exactly why DL said he wanted him. Not my analysis.
Pearson is not some Muck Grinder.....And Lombardi never said Pearson is that.

I would love to see you produce a Quote of that.

Pearson has top six Skill, he is another player molded just like Justin Williams. Plays hard , and has very good vision and hands(without all the turnovers like Jdub).

Nick Shore is going to be a top six player.

Linden Vey could develop into one, depending on what the Kings want out of him(current Monarchs point leader).

Vey is almost at a point per game pace in the AHL.

It's not some fluke that Pearson/Vey/Toffoli is one of the better point producing lines in the AHL(it's not cause they are grinders).

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-03-2013 at 01:11 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Our system has produced a ridiculous amount of players. Look at our Cup winning roster, we produced Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Voynov, King, Martinez, Clifford, Loktionov, Lewis, Nolan, Quick and Bernier, all of whom played half a season with us or were key in the playoffs. Of that group, only Loktionov and Bernier didn't play in the cup run. Additionally, if you want to talk about guys who were 'developed' by the Kings from last year, you can add in Jack Johnson, Westgarth and Drewiske, who all came up through the Kings system in one way or another. That is 15 players, and only Dustin Brown can be said to have been 'developed' prior to DL (Kopitar and Quick were Taylor picks, but speaking developmentally, they were brought up under the DL system). So that'd be 14 players developed and turned into an NHL player through the Kings system on the Kings team last year. That was done since 2006, so over a 6 year span we developed 14 players, which is over two per year. That's a very good rate.

And that doesn't include guys we partly or fully developed who went elsewhere and had success, such as Purcell, Boyle, Moulson, Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn, or even partial successes, like Oscar Moller, Scott Parse.

Basically, we are producing roughly three NHLers per year through the draft or other methods under DL, with many of them being key players at all positions, how many teams do that?
Spot on,

The only system that has produced More NHL players since 2005 I believe is the Boston Bruins. Some people believe (me included) Peter Chiarelli is the best drafting GM. Not bad for Lombardi.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

What do Steve Mason and Tyler Myers have in common???

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:14 PM
damacles1156

Also want to throw this out there, Not trying to be mean.

If you don't watch Monarchs games on a regular basis.

You probably shouldn't comment on a certain prospects "game"!.

Cause frankly if you have never seen them play, you have no freaking clue what your talking about.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
That is his exact scouting profile. I take scouts words on it. In fact that is exactly why DL said he wanted him. Not my analysis.
Not sure where you read that.

Pearson is a very skilled forward. He has way too much offensive tempo and vision to be just your average grinder. His playmaking alone makes him much more then a grinder.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:20 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Not sure where you read that.

Pearson is a very skilled forward. He has way too much offensive tempo and vision to be just your average grinder. His playmaking alone makes him much more then a grinder.
Thank you.....

Pearson has very good vision, and very good hands to match.

I can totally see Pearson/Vey/Toffoli being the Kings future second line.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Ugh. Myers may be regressing but Jesus.

2008-Jun-20 Draft pick rights traded from Anaheim Ducks to Los Angeles Kings for round 1 pick in the 2008 draft (Viktor Tikhonov) and round 1 pick in the 2008 draft (Jake Gardiner)
2008-Jun-20 Draft pick rights traded from Los Angeles Kings to Buffalo Sabres for round 1 pick in the 2008 draft (Colten Teubert) and round 3 pick in the 2009 draft

Who wouldn't have rather kept Tikhonov and Gardiner or Myers instead of Teubert.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:22 PM
no name

Quote:

I hope you don't think I was talking historically. Even non fans know who the Kings have developed. I'm talking about recently and what is coming up. Recently we have traded away our picks and in the process have failed to come up with blue chip players in our farm system. That's not terrible because in the process we have aquired key players like Carter and Richards in the Schenn trade.

Over the past 3 to 4 years we have traded our only blue chip prospect. We have traded first rounders to get Penner and will be giving up a first rounder in what is called the best draft in 10 years (going in) to get Carter. Sustained success can not be attained without a prospect pool. Vey is nice, bt he's just a talented guy. Toffoli is great but he's still not a blue chipper despite how much we all love him. Pearson is an overager who was not even considered a first round talent. He's played well but he's not an impact player.

I'm not complaining, just making a point.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:30 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Pearson is not some Muck Grinder.....And Lombardi never said Pearson is that.

I would love to see you produce a Quote of that.

Pearson has top six Skill, he is another player molded just like Justin Williams. Plays hard , and has very good vision and hands(without all the turnovers like Jdub).

Nick Shore is going to be a top six player.

Linden Vey could develop into one, depending on what the Kings want out of him(current Monarchs point leader).

Vey is almost at a point per game pace in the AHL.

It's not some fluke that Pearson/Vey/Toffoli is one of the better point producing lines in the AHL(it's not cause they are grinders).
He said that Pearson is the exact type of player a Stanley Cup winning team needs. Not going to set the world on fire but he'll fight and claw and do the little things you want in a guy. He compared him to Trevor Lewis.

That was on NHL XM radio.

I don't understand how people are taking what I said as a dig on the team. The team will need some impact players soon or they will not be able to pay guys like Brown. Forwards such as King, Clifford, and Nolan are nice, don't get me wrong, but they will need somebody making a true impact soon.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:32 PM
DaAnimal

i like pearson and i think hes got a good opportunity to crack the roster next year. Tofolli is almost a fill in for next years roster, unless something terribly goes wrong.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
He said that Pearson is the exact type of player a Stanley Cup winning team needs. Not going to set the world on fire but he'll fight and claw and do the little things you want in a guy. He compared him to Trevor Lewis.

That was on NHL XM radio.

I don't understand how people are taking what I said as a dig on the team. The team will need some impact players soon or they will not be able to pay guys like Brown. Forwards such as King, Clifford, and Nolan are nice, don't get me wrong, but they will need somebody making a true impact soon.
I believe the implication that Pearson was just an average grinder is what got people's knickers in a knot. Which in all honesty, we have had a habit in the past of producing more grinders than skill guys, but that's pretty standard of any system. It takes a very special type of player to become a "sniper" at the NHL level. Nine times out of ten a player who has skill in juniors will adapt his game to be a more physical, energetic style player at the pro level partly due to it being easier to win that spot in the bottom lines then to compete with the likes of Kopitar, Gagne, Brown, Richards, Carter etc. etc. for a top roster spot.

Remember, when Lewis was drafted there was talk he was the next Rod Brind'amour. Clearly that hasn't happened. While Dean Lombardi might compare him to Trevor Lewis, he already has more points in his first 45 games of pro hockey than Lewis had his whole first year. Predictions can be lofty, inaccurate, hopeful, and just plain wrong.

So let's just give him time and let him develop into his own player. He certainly isn't a grinder in my eyes given the fantastic hockey sense and vision he has shown thus far. While he might have been initially compared to Lewis he has already separated himself from him. That doesn't mean that facets of their game and the approach they take to the game aren't similar.

Like someone else said, I don't think it's unimaginable that some day Vey, Toffoli AND Pearson are perhaps in our top-six. That's a skilled set of two-way forwards, not just grinders.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:10 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I hope you don't think I was talking historically. Even non fans know who the Kings have developed. I'm talking about recently and what is coming up. Recently we have traded away our picks and in the process have failed to come up with blue chip players in our farm system. That's not terrible because in the process we have aquired key players like Carter and Richards in the Schenn trade.

Over the past 3 to 4 years we have traded our only blue chip prospect. We have traded first rounders to get Penner and will be giving up a first rounder in what is called the best draft in 10 years (going in) to get Carter. Sustained success can not be attained without a prospect pool. Vey is nice, bt he's just a talented guy. Toffoli is great but he's still not a blue chipper despite how much we all love him. Pearson is an overager who was not even considered a first round talent. He's played well but he's not an impact player.

I'm not complaining, just making a point.
What is your defintion of recently? I listed 21 players who were developed by the Kings and the oldest -by a few years at that- is Dustin Brown who is 28. It's not like the last skilled player to reach the NHL under the Kings was a decade ago.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:14 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
What do Steve Mason and Tyler Myers have in common???
Winning the Calder and then proceeding to plummet off a cliff?

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Winning the Calder and then proceeding to plummet off a cliff?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:39 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Myers may have taken a step back, but there's a big difference between that and plummeting off a cliff. I'd take him in a heartbeat if we could make it work cap wise without gutting our team (which we couldn't).

Old
02-04-2013, 07:08 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Now that I think about it, might as well add Raycroft to the list of peoples careers that pretty much went downhill after a Calder trophy.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Wait, people still care about who we drafted in the past 6-7 years after winning the Stanley Cup?

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Wait, people still care about who we drafted in the past 6-7 years after winning the Stanley Cup?
Hickey still burns a bit... ok, quite a bit.

but that feeling is easily offset by the SC.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:11 AM
no name

Quote:
What is your defintion of recently? I listed 21 players who were developed by the Kings and the oldest -by a few years at that- is Dustin Brown who is 28. It's not like the last skilled player to reach the NHL under the Kings was a decade ago.
Obviously since the last time we produced a player who has made a huge impact. 2 Years.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:47 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Obviously since the last time we produced a player who has made a huge impact. 2 Years.
So we need to produce an impact player every two years? Good luck with that.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:56 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

This is why there are multiple rounds in the draft. Seldom can one predict exactly how an 18 year old will turn out as a hockey player.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Bandit

A little premature to be writing the kid off. He's 23...

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:02 PM
no name

Quote:
So we need to produce an impact player every two years? Good luck with that.
I dont understand why you feel the need to talk down to me. Kings history lessons and sarcasm is unneccessary, espescially when you fail to graso what im saying. I said we need first rounders in order to generate impact players and have sustained success due to the inability to sign our impact players down the line. Youare purposely twisting two points. Nobody said it should take two years. Its been at least two and we have more time but we need our picks.