HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Rupp to Wild for Darroll Powe and Nick Palmieri

Old
02-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Good move. Rupp wasn't producing anything; he wasn't getting ice time and he wasn't winning fights or changing momentum with his bouts. So, Powe will kill penalties which is a pick up all by itself.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:58 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I have to say, in no way does this effect my opinion of the trade, which IMO is pure win for us, but I like Mike Rupp. He was never meant to be an enforcer. He took on the role here for two reasons; first, no one else was really willing/able (besides Bickel, who lives on the bench) and second, his effectiveness took an obvious dive and thus, team guy that he is, he dropped the gloves a bit more than expected in an effort to try and provide something and still be serviceable. Now, Rupp was always meant to be a big, tough, physical presence who WILL drop the gloves, but he wasn't supposed to be some kind of heavyweight. He was supposed to be a really good fourth line grinder who hits hard and is a pain to play against. He just slowed down too much and can't really keep up or play to his former standards. He WAS a really good fourth liner earlier in his career and he seems like a great team guy. Very likable player and I wish him all the best in Minnesota. Just couldn't really contribute anymore and we needed to get faster and squeeze a bit more out of our depth guys. When I say "good riddance" to Rupper, I mean it more to his contract and his slow feet. I'll actually miss Rupp a wee bit, despite being very happy to be rid of his cap hit and such a slow player on the ice.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I have to say, in no way does this effect my opinion of the trade, which IMO is pure win for us, but I like Mike Rupp. He was never meant to be an enforcer. He took on the role here for two reasons; first, no one else was really willing/able (besides Bickel, who lives on the bench) and second, his effectiveness took an obvious dive and thus, team guy that he is, he dropped the gloves a bit more than expected in an effort to try and provide something and still be serviceable. Now, Rupp was always meant to be a big, tough, physical presence who WILL drop the gloves, but he wasn't supposed to be some kind of heavyweight. He was supposed to be a really good fourth line grinder who hits hard and is a pain to play against. He just slowed down too much and can't really keep up or play to his former standards. He WAS a really good fourth liner earlier in his career and he seems like a great team guy. Very likable player and I wish him all the best in Minnesota. Just couldn't really contribute anymore and we needed to get faster and squeeze a bit more out of our depth guys. When I say "good riddance" to Rupper, I mean it more to his contract and his slow feet. I'll actually miss Rupp a wee bit, despite being very happy to be rid of his cap hit and such a slow player on the ice.
I've discussed that with my dad a few times. Neither of us really thought of him as an "enforcer" until he got here and was playing that role. We attributed it to age too. Kinda sad.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Will miss the Rupper. Great team guy, and that's an extremely under rated characteristic to have.

The part about the trade that excites me the most is that Miller may get a shot to crack the lineup and stick, similar to Hagelin last year.

All the luck to Mike in the future. Just a little hard to stay on a team that sorely needs bottom 6 speed and depth when you become as ineffective as he had since the WC.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:22 AM
aemoreira1981

Now can Sather waive Bickel off the roster?

If Powe is as advertised, he essentially is a Brandon Prust...and it finally fixes the bottom 6...the hardest part of a roster to construct.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:25 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

I liked Rupp but his presence was of no consequence to the Rangers success going forward. Good trade.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:26 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Solid post. Was my sentiments while rupp was here and even now that he is gone.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:41 AM
mike14

Quote:
agreed, I was one of those who was really happy when we signed him, but he just wasn't an effective player here. Hopefully he gets it going in Minny

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post

If Powe is as advertised, he essentially is a Brandon Prust...and it finally fixes the bottom 6...the hardest part of a roster to construct.
I'm sorry, but the bottom 6 of the roster is the easiest part to construct.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:04 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

Not quite, but similar. He doesn't play with the fire that Pruster brought, which is a big part of why Prust was so good here, but he hits plenty (though Prust probably is a 'better' hitter), is plenty fast, blocks more shots and is a good PK guy, so he does fill a lot of what Prust brought. He's even wearing #8.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:17 AM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

Really like this trade, wish Rupp all the best but Powe is younger and can bring more speed, forcheck + pk ability.

Swedish Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:52 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:

Besides posts in this this thread, I don't know where Powe was ever "advertised" as essentially a Brandon Prust.

Prust is a valuable commodity in that he is a forward who combines toughness with a degree of defensive skill. Powe does not approach Prust's toughness, and Powe was -20 last year with the Wild, a +/- number which Prust has never come near. You would think Powe would be the better scorer, but Powe's career point totals are slightly lower even than Prust's.

Montreal pursued Prust with a hefty 4-year contract. Minnesota dumped Powe before they even surrendered the 2013 3rd round pick they sent to the Flyers for him. What does that tell you?

Powe may inherit Prust's role in the Penalty Kill, but he isn't Prust.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:55 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

different type of 4th line players. Powe has more speed and better on the PK.. Powe has 8 career NHL fights while Prust triples that for a full season... Powe more skilled but not by much and also doesnt put up alot of pts but is a better passer..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:11 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Besides posts in this this thread, I don't know where Powe was ever "advertised" as essentially a Brandon Prust.

Prust is a valuable commodity in that he is a forward who combines toughness with a degree of defensive skill. Powe does not approach Prust's toughness, and Powe was -20 last year with the Wild, a +/- number which Prust has never come near. You would think Powe would be the better scorer, but Powe's career point totals are slightly lower even than Prust's.

Montreal pursued Prust with a hefty 4-year contract. Minnesota dumped Powe before they even surrendered the 2013 3rd round pick they sent to the Flyers for him. What does that tell you?

Powe may inherit Prust's role in the Penalty Kill, but he isn't Prust.

Eh, that's a mostly accurate post but a bit unfair to Powe. His +/- is a bad indication as he's actually a very good defensive player and possible better than Prust in that one regard. Playing for a bad team and not putting up many points, it's hard to have a positive +/-. He is faster than Prust and hits quite a bit, and blocks more shots. He's also not exactly small at 6'0 212lbs. He simply isn't the fighter that Prust is, nor does he bring that same FIRE, but he is plenty physical, can really skate, is a very good shot blocker and will absolutely become a mainstay on our PK almost immediately. In those regards, he has several similarities to Prust. Prust's biggest edge is really intangibles and the overall intensity he brings to the ice. Keep in mind, Prust was essentially a freebie, throw-in when we acquired him. Torts is very responsible for Prust's transformation. Powe, being a very, very Torts kind of player, could easily see a slightly increased role and some overall improvement here, if all goes well. I'm certainly not counting on him being anything more than he already is, but he will already be "Prust-like" in some regards. He just isn't that same kind of player than Prust is, overall.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
I don't think Bickel is going anywhere at the moment. Asham may not have much left, and Mashinter and/or Haley have not shown they will stick in the NHL just yet. Until McIlrath, Noreau or even Delisle are ready to take his spot, I think Bickel will remain where he is, especially with Rupp gone.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Eh, that's a mostly accurate post but a bit unfair to Powe. His +/- is a bad indication as he's actually a very good defensive player and possible better than Prust in that one regard. Playing for a bad team and not putting up many points, it's hard to have a positive +/-. He is faster than Prust and hits quite a bit, and blocks more shots. He's also not exactly small at 6'0 212lbs. He simply isn't the fighter that Prust is, nor does he bring that same FIRE, but he is plenty physical, can really skate, is a very good shot blocker and will absolutely become a mainstay on our PK almost immediately. In those regards, he has several similarities to Prust. Prust's biggest edge is really intangibles and the overall intensity he brings to the ice. Keep in mind, Prust was essentially a freebie, throw-in when we acquired him. Torts is very responsible for Prust's transformation. Powe, being a very, very Torts kind of player, could easily see a slightly increased role and some overall improvement here, if all goes well. I'm certainly not counting on him being anything more than he already is, but he will already be "Prust-like" in some regards. He just isn't that same kind of player than Prust is, overall.
You're right that plus/minus numbers can often be misleading. But having not watched Powe play every day, I wonder why Minnesota would unload him for so little if they were not disappointed with him. Even good defensive players are a liability if they cannot score, and I suspect that is his problem. I'm not against the trade, and I welcome adding another penalty killer to the roster, but I'll reserve my optimism until I see him fit in with the Rangers.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:29 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
You're right that plus/minus numbers can often be misleading. But having not watched Powe play every day, I wonder why Minnesota would unload him for so little if they were not disappointed with him. Even good defensive players are a liability if they cannot score, and I suspect that is his problem. I'm not against the trade, and I welcome adding another penalty killer to the roster, but I'll reserve my optimism until I see him fit in with the Rangers.
I remember being very impressed with Powe when he was in Philly and a lot of Flyers posters have agreed with that. I believe Minnesota is pretty deep in terms of players in Powe's mold but do not have any tough customers and were looking to add a bit of an enforcer/big man and that is why they were willing to move him for Rupp. We watched Rupp every game and were frustrated with him but Rupp has a very good reputation league-wide and, if he played like he used to, provides something Minnesota is lacking. They're under performing thus far and I think they wanted to add that tough guy/good locker room guy who stands up for teammates in hopes of helping to change the direction a bit. I've also read the opinion that they added Palmieri because they were at the contract limit and this move is likely a precursor to something larger for them in the coming days and sending 2 for 1 opens a contract spot for them. They also, supposedly, knew that Palmieri was not content playing in Houston and gave the NY native a break sending him back home.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Pizza

Expectations for Powe to be the next Prust is a tall order to fill. And don't expect Bickel to go any where. Tort's is looking for more jam and grit, not less.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:07 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

my first thought when i heard this news in my science class yesterday was "yes now we have a younger fighter than can take Rupp's place!"

and then i realized i was thinking of Riley Cote.

aaaaaaaanyway, i think this is a steal of a trade. awesome stuff. we now have added depth to the bottom six. i'm seeing that he's a great PKer and energy guy and awesome! i remember him from his Philly days and i didn't like him very much (mostly cuz he was a ********) but we could definitely use a guy like that on the roster. especially one that can skate.

again, stolen trade. how does Sather do it?

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Im not ready to move Asham yet. Dont think he has really been given much of a fair shake, considering how little he has played.

Though if Miller and Masher play well, it certainly would make sense to move him.
I don't disagree, but I wouldn't be suprised if he was moved in the pretty near future. I am not saying that it will happend, I just wouldn't be suprised if it did happen.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Vitto79

I like the idea of having a 4th line that is defensively responsible so Torts feels comfortable playing them consistently.

Powe is a Pker just like Halpern so they should take care of their own zone plus Asahm gives them toughness in case the gloves need to be dropped. Its a way beter fit once Cally comes back. I imagine Mashinter gets a shot at gooning it up vs the Debbies and Fish Sticks this week.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:32 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Expectations for Powe to be the next Prust is a tall order to fill. And don't expect Bickel to go any where. Tort's is looking for more jam and grit, not less.
You could replace Bickel with Mashinter and lose nothing in terms of grit. And you may end up with a better player.

If you're looking for equal grit from a defenseman, then yeah, I guess Bickel is it. That's until McIlrath comes up, but who knows when that is.

I still don't understand why the Rangers keep Eminger around if Torts doesn't like him. I've always advocated for Bickel, but at the same time felt Eminger was a better player. If we need someone to play six minutes of defense each night it should be him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:44 AM
eco's bones

Generally how I see the moves is that Torts wasn't particularly happy with a number of things--1) no production out of the bottom lines 2) lack of a hard forecheck throughout the lineup 3) too many penalties and 4) not enough penalty killers.

Looking at the penalty killing forwards.

Nash-1st line.
Callahan-2nd line--injured.
Stepan--2nd line.
Hagelin--2nd/3rd line--spotted into the pk.
Boyle-3rd line.
Halpern-4th line.

Basically we have a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners who don't or didn't and this is a way for those players to get extra ice time.

Rupp.
Asham.
Pyatt.
Ferriero.
Kreider.
Bickel.

Anyway Powe is an aggressive player--but he's not going to remind anyone of Prust. He's not that good of a fighter for one. But he is a good pk'er. Mashinter comes up to see if he can fit into Rupp's slot and Miller--I guess they want to see where he's at. I wouldn't be surprised though if both of them and maybe even Kreider go back down.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:01 AM
pld459666

amazing that we have over 12 pages for such a minor deal.

Rupp wasn't the reason we didn't win last year or struggled this year.

Powe and or Palmieri will not be the reason we play better or win this year.

Such a marginal deal.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:22 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
The Wild are a very small team. They have one of the best PK's in the league with Konopka, Parise, Koivu, Setogouchi, Mitchell and Clutterbuck and they play in a very physical division. They just got man-handled by the Blues due to their lack of size.

Powe was expendable to them.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote