HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Practice Update — Line Shuffling, Martinek Hurt

Old
02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The last time Snow traded one of his young core players, on a very cheap deal, was when?

When players like ROR, with a career high 55 pts, are holding out for $5m, I expect KO and his contract, will be around a while. At least while he's making $2m-$3m per.

I'd fear for KO's safety, if he were making the $6.6m Stastny makes
Snow hasn't traded a young player away yet, but it will probably happen at some point in the next year or so. If the Isles leave Bailey at wing, you will have Moulson, Grabner, Bailey, Okposo, Nino, Ullstrom as your wingers on the top three lines with JT, Nielsen and likely Strome the centers.

If any other young player makes a push (Cizikas and Nelson are the two that stand out) then something will have to give. And that's assuming they don't want to re-sign Aucoin or Boyes or bring in any other forward.

BTW, not saying Nino and Strome deserve guaranteed spots, but I think there is a pretty good chance that the Isles move one of their young forwards within the next year. Most likely Bailey or Okposo depending on who has the better season.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I'm trying to think of one season, including KO's pre-injury seasons, where he got off to a fast start.
It's not just production. It's the way he plays now. It's different.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:58 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
While I'd love a true first-line right wing, I'm not sure the loss of PA is sending ripples throughout the lineup or dooming the first line. Last season through eight games, the first-line players of PA, Moulson and Tavares combined for 22 points. This season through eight games, the first line players of KO, Moulson and Tavares have combined for...22 points.

Five-on-five hasn't been as dire as some people make it out to be either. Isles have 17 five-on-five goals through eight games, good for eighth best in the league. I'm not sure I'd be screwing around too much with the lines and such if I were Cappy. I agree we could use a more productive player than KO currently is on the first-line right wing. But I'm not really crying over PA either. He's a nice player, but I don't think the first line needs more points, necessarily. It gets points. I think it could use a bit of a different look to maximize each player's ability. Either a flat out sniper that can take JT's passes and bury them from the circles, or a true power forward that can create absolute havoc and control the puck along the boards, freeing up more room for JT. Neither one of those attributes describes PA. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having him on that wing right now, but I don't think he's The Answer is all.
excellent post.

The objective is to win games, to score goals across all the lines, not to maximize JT's output or the 1st line's output. They are NOT the problem on this team.

Having said that, I can see Matt Martin being a great winger for JT/MM. He's be the "Clark Gillies" on that line, someone who can really help cycling the puck and playing a simple, go-to-the-net game that complements JT & MM well.

Boyes is like PAP, poor defensively, he passes as well as PAP and is a better shooter, also a bit lazier. They are similar, both limited players. Nino, if he ever makes the NHL, on the Islanders, and reaches CLOSE TO his upside, might be a perfect winger. Otherwise, Bailey would also work.

I happen to think Okposo would be better suited to another line and it sounds like Capuano is going to try that as soon as tomorrow.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Tavaresfan91

I hope Boyes can find chemistry with JT and moulson because I have liked that I've seen from them on the pp so far lets just hope that carries over into even strength play.

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:11 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Snow hasn't traded a young player away yet, but it will probably happen at some point in the next year or so. If the Isles leave Bailey at wing, you will have Moulson, Grabner, Bailey, Okposo, Nino, Ullstrom as your wingers on the top three lines with JT, Nielsen and likely Strome the centers.

If any other young player makes a push (Cizikas and Nelson are the two that stand out) then something will have to give. And that's assuming they don't want to re-sign Aucoin or Boyes or bring in any other forward.

BTW, not saying Nino and Strome deserve guaranteed spots, but I think there is a pretty good chance that the Isles move one of their young forwards within the next year. Most likely Bailey or Okposo depending on who has the better season.
I know that the isles will eventually make some moves. It's a numbers game. Who's producing, who's contract fits into Snow's budget.

I expect it'll come after Nino or Strome push one of the older forwards, out of his roster spot.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Tavaresfan91

I think if we split these next 2 games with rags and Pitt then we are in good shape because bailey and visnovsky will likey make there season debuts this Saturday against buffalo but it's quite possible they could play against the rangers Thursday! I'm not worried about the devil lost 3-0 because we didn't play too bad and I think we will be ok. Things are looking good. Lets Go Islanders

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
U of ND.
Okposo went to Minnesota

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:21 PM
KrisBeKreame

Kinda OT question, Kinda not. Who do you think the better defender is at this junction, Strait, Hickey or Carkner?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Okposo went to Minnesota
Was gonna say that but wasn't 100% sure....

As far as Okposo is concerned I have much more confidence he'll contribute offensively more than I do in Bailey. I just don't think KO is good for the 1st line. He's always had good chemistry with Frans and he doesn't have to think the game as much playing on a line with him. Frans does all the thinking for the whole line. That's why I think Grabner benefits as well. BUT as far as throwing Bailey up on the 4th line...blah. Boyes can go there first for all i'm concerned. I'm not convinced Boyes has regained a scoring touch but considering he HAS points this season I'd move him up over Bailey. Bailey hasn't proved anything in his career other than "i'll play some good hockey when I feel like it". He never should have met Comeau.

If Bailey or Boyes go there and succeed i'm going to see if I can get licensing to make a shirt that says, "JT: Making scrubs look good since 2009"

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:58 PM
StrongIslanders90

I wouldnt touch the Grabner - Nielsen-Boyes line.....

I always said Bailey has the skill to keep up with Johnny....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:59 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Kinda OT question, Kinda not. Who do you think the better defender is at this junction, Strait, Hickey or Carkner?
Strait>Hickey>Carkner

imo

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:03 PM
IslandersFan17

I would love to see Josh play with Tavares. I mean, I would be hesitant with Josh just coming back from injury, allow the kid to get the legs back under him first.

Yet, I do think Josh has very good on ice vision and when places on the top line a few years back the kid flourished. Of course that was sans Tavares, but still the kid produced.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Moosie

Quote:
The last time Snow traded one of his young core players, on a very cheap deal, was when?
Blake Comeau?

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:49 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Strait>Hickey>Carkner
No question Strait is the best of the bunch by a wide margin.

The other two are very limited players. Hickey more upside and more downside (hence, why he was on waivers). Carkner doesn't do much but fills a very specific, niche, rare role on the NYI (like cairns did)

Martinek better than both, even when injured

Last edited by redbull: 02-04-2013 at 08:36 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Macch

I'd like to see Bailey eventually get a shot with JT and MM. I think KO may be best served finding his game on the 3rd line with Ullstrom and Aucoin.

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
Blake Comeau?
He was waived, not traded.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:55 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
He was waived, not traded.
Being waived is a trade. He got traded for a free roster spot, hehe

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:42 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I'd like to see Bailey eventually get a shot with JT and MM. I think KO may be best served finding his game on the 3rd line with Ullstrom and Aucoin.
This, a thousand times over.

If Okposo wants to play 1st line hockey, he can work his was back up. I've seen better role playing somewhere in between Keith Aucoin and various clubs in Berlin.

Another creative passer could do wonders for the top line, and Okie's not delivering.

Plus, KO's skills could make the 3rd line DEADLY. Part of what made the line I like to think of as the "*** GO!" line was how no one was expecting it. Ullström and Aucoin are both hard workers. Okie maybe be better suited for playing the part of Pacino in Devil's Advocate - "the one you don't see coming."

88th Precinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:16 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

i'd like to see

Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Ullstrom - Aucoin - McDonald
Martin - Bailey/Cizikas- Cizikas/Bailey
Reasoner

send down boulton/finley (finley was drafted a winger btw) to make room for bailey. bailey can play his way up with okposo going down to the 4th line if he continues his dumb play (the effort is there but he just coughs up the puck way too much). boyes has looked good on the pp, let's hope it translates to even strength.

when vis gets here:

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Strait
Visnovsky - Carkner
Hickey

maybe switch out carkner against softer teams?

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Puckzilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
It's not just production. It's the way he plays now. It's different.
This.

Puckzilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Nova Scotia Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
i'd like to see

Reasoner

send down boulton/finley (finley was drafted a winger btw) to make room for bailey. bailey can play his way up with okposo going down to the 4th line if he continues his dumb play (the effort is there but he just coughs up the puck way too much). boyes has looked good on the pp, let's hope it translates to even strength.

when vis gets here:

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Strait
Visnovsky - Carkner
Hickey

I would keep hickey in for carkner since carkner is here to protect the young stars and keep people honest. He hasnt looked good in his 2 fights this year. Also our scoring seems to be pretty good other then last game. We need a little better Defense so hickey in for Carkner. Also with Wang being a tight ass the players getting sent down will be guys on two way deals, not sure who those are. I am pretty sure Boulton and Carkner are both on one way deals. There is no way Wang pays a guy NHL salary to play in the minors.

Nova Scotia Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:15 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
i'd like to see

Reasoner

when vis gets here:

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Strait
Visnovsky - Carkner
Hickey

I believe it is of the utmost importance of the coach to put his players in the best possible position to succeed. Same with the GM as well when he is deciding if a player is best suited for the NHL, AHL, junior hickey, etc.
When you take a kid inside the top 10 overall picks of a draft, I would especially think you're going to put this kid in a position to succeed.
I know the counter-arguement is, "he has to earn it." .. Well Bailey was very close to a PPG over the last 20 games last year and looked like he was turning a corner. In Islanders terms of 'earning it', that might as well be a 50 goal season.

Sticking him on the 4th line at this point would be counter-productive to everything he accomplished at the end of the year last year.......... Let's *** see what Bailey can do already...If not now, when???

Then again, if you want to finish off the mishandling of this kid once and for all, then go ahead and put him on the fourth line...

Seriously,give Bailey a shot already!

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:20 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
In the meantime, I'd like to see Bailey get a shot on the top line when he returns to the lineup. I'm sure Boyes will get a shot as well. They need to try different things because PA's loss is really standing out right now and this team has enough problems to deal with. If it's a revolving door, so be it because I do not like how the top line is constructed right now. If Okposo can suddenly regain his end of season form from last year, he's probably the best option in terms of style of play. If not, then experiment and reward the player who wins the spot.
I don't miss PA at all. He was fortunate to play alongside JT and that certainly helped his point production. He definetely brought enthusism on the ice, but half the time, his overzealousness led to bad turnovers and stupid penalties. I can't count the number of times, he started from his own end, got a head of steam going, raced end to end, then no looked it back to the point, where he usually found the stick of an opposing wing in position to steal his pass.

As far as KO goes. When I read that he was a big fan of Harry Potter, that spoke volumes to me about his makeup. Nothing against Harry Potter, but I would feel a little better about him, if he was a fan of the UFC or heavy metal. He's built like a power forward and needs to use his size in an aggressive manner to be successful. He needs to go to the net hard, battle in front or behind the net, and force the play. That's not his mindset and it never will be. That's too bad, because I think he has the talent, he just lacks the passion to be consistant. That's the reason he occassionally goes on scoring streaks, then he disappears for a while.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:22 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I think you have the best suggestion yet.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:49 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
Blake Comeau?
Comeau wasn't a core player, on a great deal. Comeau had filled in for Okposo on the 2nd line, after Okposo's surgery. Comeau had the career high 24/25 goals.

Both Bailey and Comeau were rfas that summer and both were looking for long term deals like Grabner + Okposo had signed. Snow wouldn't budge off his short term offers: 2 yrs for Bailey and 1 yr for Comeau. Comeau went scoreless in his first 16 games and Snow waived him, along with his $2.5m salary.

I thought Comeau was po'd over the short contract. It had almost gone to arbitration, was agreed on just before arbitration was to start.

Bailey expressed disapointment over not getting a long term deal.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote