HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 09:45 PM
dma0034

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Well, he's a PPG so far and the center on the best line in the league right now.

Small sample size and all, but that's really all we have to go off of. Based on his skill-set and draft pedigree I think it's fair to project him to be that guy until he proves he can't be.
Which is entirely on Vanek and Pominville. When your line mates are #1 and #6 in scoring and you're only a PPG player I'm not impressed. Luke Adam, an AHL player, had success on that line.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Which is entirely on Vanek and Pominville. When your line mates are #1 and #6 in scoring and you're only a PPG player I'm not impressed. Luke Adam, an AHL player, had success on that line.
This is ridiculous. It's like you're saying that Cody is the clear third-best player on the line but it's not OK for his production to reflect that. Since when is a PPG ever not impressive? He's a part of the line's success offensively. He is part of the flow of the action. He's not just standing there in the slot and letting the other two do the work.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
This is ridiculous. It's like you're saying that Cody is the clear third-best player on the line but it's not OK for his production to reflect that. Since when is a PPG ever not impressive? He's a part of the line's success offensively. He is part of the flow of the action. He's not just standing there in the slot and letting the other two do the work.
Yep. He passes the eyeball test in that he's making smart passes, getting to high scoring areas, and working with his (more talented) linemates. Sure, on a different line maybe he has half the points, but Vanek and Pommer might be, say, 5 points lower themselves with a lesser pivot. Hodgson isn't the driver for sure, but he's not a passenger either.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
And if Luke Adam had maintained that success hed be the top center on this team. So basically your argument is Hodgson will disappear as well. However Adams performance was the result of finding soft spots in dzone coverage. Hodgson's game is about driving the net and opening ice for Pom and Vanek. Hodgson is quite literally an entire league better than Adam in drive and talent, expecting him to decline is just plain basking in self misery. Alternatively if you think being a PPG player is somehow diminished because of your linemates then I'll just shake my head and continue. Hodgson has looked like a young top 6 center and eventually he will deal with the slumps like Adam did, however I doubt he will crumble the way Luke did.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

I wish they would offersheet RoR ...... get it done..... worry about cap later... Line up the important pieces first have them on hand...then you can weed out contracts not conducive to our cap situation.

Don't forget Miller, Vanek and Pommers contracts are coming to an end..

Old
02-04-2013, 11:42 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
And if Luke Adam had maintained that success hed be the top center on this team. So basically your argument is Hodgson will disappear as well. However Adams performance was the result of finding soft spots in dzone coverage. Hodgson's game is about driving the net and opening ice for Pom and Vanek. Hodgson is quite literally an entire league better than Adam in drive and talent, expecting him to decline is just plain basking in self misery. Alternatively if you think being a PPG player is somehow diminished because of your linemates then I'll just shake my head and continue. Hodgson has looked like a young top 6 center and eventually he will deal with the slumps like Adam did, however I doubt he will crumble the way Luke did.
Well said

That's the rub right there. Hodgson will absolutely slump. I expect that. Unfortunately some won't and they will slam slam slam him.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
why do people keep saying that... no they aren't.
And even if they were Girgs is 3-5 years from playing at that level on top of the fact he has 0 experience, where OR has experience and is immediately playing at that level. Additionally securing Ryan would add Girgs to the list of "we can trade these guys for Bobby Ryan". Also the comment was made that it would be harder to sign Vanek and Poms. Regier and Leo come of the books next season that covers OR, then you have a B/O this off season and next to make room for them. That would leave this team 1 2 way winger short of a complete (if very young) offense. Which is better than the current very young and full of holes offense.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Imlach a cup

Straight up I'll say here I don't expect Stafford Leino or Ennis to be here much longer than 2015.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:53 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's certainly way too early to tell, but even if they were similar, why do people think it's a problem to have two players like that?
I was going to say the same thing; I have no idea. Having two guys like that would be a blessing.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Straight up I'll say here I don't expect Stafford Leino or Ennis to be here much longer than 2015.
Second that.

I'd throw in Gerbe as well.

I also expect one of Vanek,Pommers or Miller gone too.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Second that.

I'd throw in Gerbe as well.

I also expect one of Vanek,Pommers or Miller gone too.
In all honesty I don't consider Gerbe even worth mentioning in a top 9 discussion. His only value to me is of NJD would actually trade Tallinder for him.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
I think Ennis will be here but I agree with Stafford and Leino

Old
02-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
I would say Ennis is either second line wing or a major piece in a deal to bring in that winger, but ya it wouldnt shock me but I'm not expecting it

Last edited by Imlach a cup: 02-05-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old
02-05-2013, 12:48 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
Ya ennis should be here, just not at center, he is being misused right now. He's a good top 6 wing option for the future

Old
02-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Trobes

Stephen Weiss...get him!

OK here is my thinking. I believe this team needs a Vet 2-way center, and Weiss could fit that bill. I know it is just a rumor but:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...-stephen-weiss

Does anyone think that Stafford (who is signed for a few more years at $4 million) & a D prospect could get Weiss? Since it is thought that Florida will not be able to pay Weiss what he is worth, I say try to get Weiss, pay him $4.5-5 and you have what we need in at the C spot with 19,62,25 & Weiss. If CapGeek is right we could easily still get Perry, sign our RFA/UFA that we might want if we buyout Leino and/or Gerbe.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:43 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Stafford for Dubinski

Might as well take it from the Stafford thread:

If I could do one thing (realistic) with Stafford, I'd trade him straight up for Dubinski.

Dubinski plays on a crappy Blue Jacket team, has about the same stats (9 gms, 0 goals, 4 assits and -4) this year as Stafford but gives us a 26 year old center who plays a little defensively, $4mil to $3.75mil and change of scenary move with Stafford.

VHP
Ennis - Dubinsky - Ott/Foligno
??? - Grigs - Ott/Foligno
??? - Hecht - Kaleta

Gerbe, Scott, Ellis, McCormick

or

VHP
Hecht - Dubinsky - Ott
Ennis - Grigs - Foligno (Obviously the easy offensive line)
??? - McCormick - Kaleta

Scott, Gerbe, Ellis

Anyway, not sure Columbus would trade him after he was the main piece to Nash but Stafford has to have some value, and as I said in an above post, I think there needs to be a management statement that this years play is not acceptable, so Stafford is the one to go, this trade addresses needs. At the dot and attitude. Bye-bye to another "old core" guy....

Old
02-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Dubinsky's not a top-6 center.

At least not on a good team.

So... No.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Weiss is unspectacular. I've seen him play a lot, and he never really stands out. Maybe a 3rd line stopgap, but he isn't ideal there and would be paid too much for that role.

He's a fairly consistent 50-60 point player.

He could live on the 2nd line but I'd perfer we develop Grigs into that role in the short term.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:52 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Dubinsky's not a top-6 center.

At least not on a good team.

So... No.
playing for this year, or for a good future team?

Ennis isn't ready. Grigs isn't ready. Foligno isn't ready. Defense isn't ready. Dubinsky would be a nice iece to have in the fold, along with Stafford out, for the next few years.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Trobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Weiss is unspectacular. I've seen him play a lot, and he never really stands out. Maybe a 3rd line stopgap, but he isn't ideal there and would be paid too much for that role.

He's a fairly consistent 50-60 point player.

He could live on the 2nd line but I'd perfer we develop Grigs into that role in the short term.
I was thinking 3rd or 4th line shutdown/defense C. Basically taking Hecht's spot but with some scoring ability. We would then have 4 line that could score and at least 1 line that can do some of both.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
playing for this year, or for a good future team?

Ennis isn't ready. Grigs isn't ready. Foligno isn't ready. Defense isn't ready. Dubinsky would be a nice iece to have in the fold, along with Stafford out, for the next few years.
Dubinsky is redundant with Hecht on this team. He doesn't add anything. The problem with this team is defense, secondary scoring and coaching. He isn't a replacement for Leo, he doesn't score, and with Lindy Ruff, he'll play more than Vanek.

Last edited by stokes84: 02-05-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old
02-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Dubinsky is redundant with Hecht on this team. He doesn't add anything. The problem with this team is defense, secondary scoring and coaching. He isn't a replacement for Leo, he doesn't score, and with Lindy Ruff, he'll play more than Vanek.
yea, 26 yr old 2 way forwards are redundant here....

Old
02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Ya ennis should be here, just not at center, he is being misused right now. He's a good top 6 wing option for the future
I'm not sure what you're basing that on. He has shown nothing but complete ineptitude against good defenseman, especially when it comes to winning contested pucks. Don't see how you could trust him to not waste the shifts of your fourth and fifth best forwards. At the moment, he looks like a third line secondary scoring matchups-based LW. Perhaps he can figure more things out under new coach, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:05 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yea, 26 yr old 2 way forwards are redundant here....
Two way implies he has some offense to his game. This season + last, he has 10 total goals. If you think another third line grinder is somehow going to make this team better, you're sadly mistaken. This type of thinking is why we are so bad now. Maybe if we had a proven top 6 center on this team instead of Steve Ott, we wouldn't be in the basement right now. But yeah, let's continue trading top 6 players for grinders and see what happens.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
He's not redundant, and nevermind that Hecht is on a one year contract. Whether it's a good trade or not he'd certainly be a useful player on the roster this season and going forward. He can play center or wing and fits in well in a "middle 6" type role.

Closed Thread