HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 in OT: Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Glad they lost, these guys refuse to learn the easy way, let them learn the hard way.

The first line flat out sucks. Way to work on your defensive game Nuge, if we wanted to trade a great 1st line center for a great 3rd line center, Tambo would've traded you by now.

No offense, no offensive aptitude, nancy boy forwards who refuse to shoot the puck on net with traffic but are more than willing to pass through 6 guys.

I don't care about the injuries, the Oilers woke up this morning planning to lose, expecting to lose and apparently wanting to lose.

#herecometheoilers shouldn't be the Oilers hash tag, it should be Seth Jones and Nate Mckinnon's.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:22 PM
AUAIOMRN

God I hate the way this team plays.

I'm sorry but the kids need their "freedom to do whatever the hell they want" license taken away. Time to start playing grown-up hockey.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Where have you been the last 20 years?
I realize that he, like everybody else, is a butterfly goalie. What I mean is it's the same old habit of him dropping along with him his arms to always have him be late to get back up to the shot. Nearly all the goals against him are up top.

Old
Alberta tough

Time for Kruger to earn his pay.

Old
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Harti-RNH-Hemsky
MPS-Lander(?)-Yakupov

Something like that. The top line isn't terrible, but something needs to get our ES scoring juices flowing. We're 28th in the NHL in 5v5 GF right now. Tied with Florida and 1 more than Nashville.

Soundwave

Eberle's fault on the last goal, saw that coming as soon as he flew the zone.

Top line had multiple chances to ice the game.

Paajarvi had a good game, needs to continue to play that way. Petry was good for the most part too.

Old
awesomo
HARD!

so mad, i went all in on the canucks,, only to find out i didnt go all in

NOOOOOO

Old
Doswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
This team is not big enough to play a dump and chase, and got owned badly on the blue line trying to carry the puck over.
Tis sadly true. Baby, give me that candy.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSlayer View Post
Our players are just not good enough
They were juggling lines and down the only guys that can win a faceoff. I actually they did well, and deserved a much better fate.

Old
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Yup.

Ebs was the one abandoning the defensive zone. Bad on Ebs!
He was looking for a breakaway, just wait 19 seconds and youd get your chance

Old
Horseradish

Not worried about the team.

You have to expect to be outshot when you can't win a god damn draw. I don't understand why Krueger didn't have Smyth and Harti taking more draws. At the very least, they weren't getting cleanly beaten on them like the other 3 "centres" when they did take the odd one. Losing Belly and Horc at the same time REALLY hurt.

Something is wrong with Smid. He's really looking off these days with his skating.

Just growing pains though, I'm convinced of it. I don't think the Oilers will make the playoffs this year, but I don't think they're a 14-15 team either. 10-12 sounds right. They'll compete most nights when they're healthy, and if Tambellini can get them both a) a guy who can win a draw and b) a d-man that negates the need to use either Potter, Whitney, or Peckham as well as cutting down on Petry and Smid's ice times. They're just playing too much is what I think part of the problem is.

Old
McDeepika

Canucks are a way better team and they proved it tonight. We were very lucky to even get a point out of that mess.

This is basically last year's team + J. Schultz. Thank god for him because he is carrying us right now.

Kid line needs to be broken up. They are really good on the cycle, but whenever they are on the rush, it seems like they think that every single one of them needs to touch the puck before they score. Way too much passing.

Old
OILFAN #81

I could see it coming from a mile away. Dubnyk was the reason we got a point tonight. Take the lead and then do nothing offensively the rest of the game. I loved the jump from Hall but what is going with RNH? He was absolutely terrible. Some bad turnovers. Was that Eberle cherrypicking on the winner too? Terrible decision. It sucks cause had chances to win (even though we didn't deserve the win). I like the Nordic line. We need to start playing defense and can't rely on Dubnyk every game. If our goaltending wasn't amazing at the moment, we'd get destroyed.

End on a positive note, again I loved Hall's jump, Yakupov came back and played d a bunch of times and as I mentioned I like the Nordic line. Need to win that Dallas game. Can't lose 3 in a row.

Old
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Reality is starting to set in.
Yeah, i'm getting that vibe too. I've been trying to remain positive but a game like this really shows where the Oilers are and that is a long way away from contending for anything meaningful. I guess that's the reality. Can they at least finish out of the bottom 5? That's all i ask.

Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

For all the praise Hall gets for his game, I feel it's very similar to Ryan Jones. He's got the speed and strength to create great opportunities for himself off of effort alone. There's just no ability to finish.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Yakupov-RNH-Eberle

I want to see this. Hall can be that "Penner" for Hemmer and RNH can hold it down defensively between the two worst defensive players in our top-6.

Old
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Time to split up the kids, Ralph!

Yakupov - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Hemsky

I don't think splitting up Hemsky and Yakupov is the answer. They have way too much chemistry together. What about switching the centres and getting RNH some more space and confidence playing with Yak and Hemmer?

Yakupov - Nugent Hopkins - Hemsky
Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Hartikainen - Lander - Paajarvi
Smyth - VV - Petrell

Old
02-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Eberle's fault on the last goal, saw that coming as soon as he flew the zone.

Top line had multiple chances to ice the game.

Paajarvi had a good game, needs to continue to play that way. Petry was good for the most part too.
Petry was pretty terrible tonight. Lacklustre positioning and (imo) very very bad anticipation almost every time he was on the ice.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
Mctopchowda

I still like Yakupovs play at the end tho. He realized a 2 on 1 was developing low and moved down to cut it off. Thats a much more dangerous play then a shot from the point.

Also, this is an ot loss to one of the leagues best team, im not gunna sweat over this one too bad

Old
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm trying to remain positive and look at the big picture but i'm just not seeing the improvement with this team. It looks like the same old thing over and over again.
Is this team EVER going to get better? Men vs. Boys tonight, completely outclassed.
This blows.
Difference:

- PK is much improved
- top line not bleeding goals against much better defensively than last year

Don't see any other difference to be honest.

Dubnyk the same decent but not stellar goalie. Bottom 2 lines can't contribute offensively.

D looks slow other than JSchultz.

JSchultz should be taking like 10 shots per game and joining the ruh and it just seems to me the team isn't using his offensive skills.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:26 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
That's what happens when you get outshot like that. This is really frustrating. Looks like the same **** as last year.

Old
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Time for Kruger to earn his pay.
Him and Tambo, there are too many missing pieces and too many duplicates

Old
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
For all the praise Hall gets for his game, I feel it's very similar to Ryan Jones. He's got the speed and strength to create great opportunities for himself off of effort alone. There's just no ability to finish.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Yakupov-RNH-Eberle

I want to see this. Hall can be that "Penner" for Hemmer and RNH can hold it down defensively between the two worst defensive players in our top-6.
Ridiculous.
Hall scored 27 goals in 51 games last season and has been an elite goal scorer throughout his career so he obviously has some finishing ability. Comparing him to Ryan Jones? That's borderline trolling.

Old
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
The team needs to learn how to shoot
Yes please. I don't even care if it's accurate, just get the puck to the net. Fuuuu. I am tired of seeing us outshot this badly.

Old
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I still like Yakupovs play at the end tho. He realized a 2 on 1 was developing low and moved down to cut it off. Thats a much more dangerous play then a shot from the point.

It also looked like the puck just went past his face. If he delayed that drop to the ice, it could have been a bad injury.

Old
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

To be fair I thought the Canucks were just as bad. Anyone knows what's up with RNH?? Pocked him up in my pool and man have I been disappointed is he hurt??

Closed Thread