HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2013, 07:42 PM
  #951
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 17,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
This defensive corps could really use a bruiser.
Would be nice if Ruopp or Seymour work out.

MrBurgundy is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
  #952
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Prospects Stats Update - January

Stats as of Feb 3
* denotes rookies
Italics mean the player is not on the team at the moment (promoted/demoted)


MINOR PRO

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL, 24-18-2-1, 3rd in East Division)

The Baby Pens' uneven season went on the upswing again last month, winning nine of their last ten games in which they allowed only 11 goals against, and while Brad Thiessen posted 4 shutouts in as many weeks. The good run came despite some serious roster change after the end of the NHL lockout. Three defensemen left WBS in January: Simon Després and Robert Bortuzzo stuck with the big club after camp, and Brian Strait was lost on waivers to the NY Islanders. The Baby Pens partially replaced these losses by signing NHL veteran Mark Eaton to a tryout and Nailers defender Cody Wild to an AHL contract. Wild spent most of last season with the team so he knows the system. Joe Morrow also took advantage to break a 32 game goalless streak Feb 1 against Manchester.

The roster changed less at forward where only Eric Tangradi made the jump to Pittsburgh while the disappointing Benn Ferriero was traded to the NY Rangers for a more productive minor leaguer in Chad Kolarik. With Beau Bennett injured again, Kolarik was the lone WBS representative at the All-Star Game Jan 28 at Providence. Kolarik scored twice as his East team lost 6-7. Joining Bennett on IR are currently Paul Thompson, Tom Kühnhackl and Phil Dupuis. To compensate, the Baby Pens brought in a blast from the past in Tom Kostopoulos, the franchise's all-time leader in games played, goals, assists and points. At his age he is unlikely to do much about the club's scoring woes but will provide depth and leadership on a team that still hasn't elected a captain.

F Chad Kolarik (27, trade with NYR '13): 19-18-37, 40 PIM, +2 (46 gp)
F Riley Holzapfel (24, free agent '12): 15-15-30, 44 PIM, +2
F Trevor Smith (27, free agent '12): 12-14-26, 38 PIM, +3
*F Beau Bennett (21, 1st rd. '10): 6-18-24, 14 PIM, +0 (32 gp) - undisclosed, "day-to-day"
F Paul Thompson (24, free agent '11): 14-8-22, 50 PIM, +3 (39 gp) - upper body injury, "a couple weeks"
F Eric Tangradi (23, trade with ANA '09): 10-8-18, 57 PIM, -8 (34 gp)
F Brian Gibbons (24, free agent '11): 5-13-18, 16 PIM, -3 (39 gp)
D Dylan Reese (28, free agent '12): 3-12-15, 22 PIM, +1 (39 gp)
*D Brian Dumoulin (21, trade with CAR '12): 4-10-14, 12 PIM, -5 (42 gp)
F Warren Peters (30, free agent '12): 7-4-11, 62 PIM, +2 (42 gp)
F Philippe Dupuis (27, free agent '12): 2-9-11, 14 PIM, -7 (34 gp) - undisclosed, "out for a while"
*D Joseph Morrow (20, 1st rd. '11): 2-8-10, 31 PIM, -2 (37 gp)
D Philip Samuelsson (21, 2nd rd. '09): 2-6-8, 26 PIM, +9 (35 gp)
D Simon Després (21, 1st rd. '09): 4-3-7, 28 PIM, -5 (27 gp)
D Alex Grant (24, 4th rd. '07): 3-4-7, 31 PIM, +2 (22 gp)
*F Jayson Megna (23, free agent '12): 3-4-7, 6 PIM, -5 (26 gp)
*F Adam Payerl (21, free agent '12): 2-4-6, 10 PIM, +3 (13 gp)
*F Tom Kühnhackl (20, 4th rd. '10): 2-2-4, 6 PIM, +3 (11 gp) - shoulder injury, out for the season
F Zack Sill (24, free agent '11): 2-2-4, 41 PIM, +4 (26 gp)
D Robert Bortuzzo (23, 3rd rd. '07): 1-2-3, 32 PIM, +2 (28 gp)
*F Dominik Uher (20, 5th rd. '11): 0-3-3, 38 PIM, +0 (29 gp)
F Keven Veilleux (23, 2nd rd. '07): 0-0-0, 7 PIM, -1 (4 gp)
F Steve MacIntyre (32, free agent '11): 0-0-0, 46 PIM, -1 (24 gp)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G Jeff Zatkoff (25, free agent '12): 15-12-0, 2.00 GAA, .918 SP, 3 SO
G Brad Thiessen (26, free agent '09): 9-8-1, 3.47 GAA, .907 SP, 4 SO


Wheeling Nailers (ECHL, 21-16-3-5, 3rd in Atlantic Division)
Orlando Solar Bears (ECHL, 21-22-2-3, 5th in South Division)

Wheeling also felt the end of the lockout as Adam Payerl, among others, was recalled to WBS, and Carl Sneep was traded to Dallas for a conditional pick. The Nailers also sent goalie Patrick Killeen to Orlando, leaving Reid McNeill as the only Penguins prospect currently on the team. Keven Veilleux is still suspended by the league for a racial slur, his future with Wheeling is uncertain. But it looks very likely that him and Killeen no longer figure into Pittsburgh's plans going forward.

F Keven Veilleux (23, 2nd rd. '07): 2-4-6, 12 PIM, +0 (7 gp) - suspended until Feb 10
*D Reid McNeill (20, 6th rd. '10): 0-4-4, 37 PIM, -6 (23 gp)
*F Tom Kühnhackl (20, 4th rd. '10): 1-0-1, 2 PIM, +2 (2 gp)
*F Adam Payerl (21, free agent '12): 1-0-1, 15 PIM, +1 (4 gp)
*F Dominik Uher (20, 5th rd. '11): 0-1-1, 0 PIM, +0 (3 gp)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G Patrick Killeen (22, 6th rd. '08): 5-6-2-2, 3.50 GAA, .876 SP, 0 SO (includes games with Orlando)



NCAA

Co-captain Ben Hanowski has the high-scoring Huskies in first place in the WCHA, with UNO at their heels. Mavericks sophomore Josh Archibald is about to double his freshman output. Alex Velischek is tied for 4th in Hockey East in Plus/Minus.

Kenny Agostino had a 7 game scoring streak in January, producing 10 points to remain Yale's leading scorer. He is also the 5th highest scorer in the ECAC. At the same time, Nick D'Agostino is slumping along with his team. Cornell are 1-7 in 2013, with D'Agostino posting 3 points and a -5 in those games.

Bryan Rust has set a new career high in goals and tied his career high in points, currently he is the 3rd best scorer on a low-scoring Fighting Irish team. Teddy Blueger has gone cold after returning from the WJC, recording 1 goal and 0 assists in 6 games since.

Seniors
D Nick D'Agostino (22, 7th rd. '08) - Cornell (8-11-2, 11th in ECAC): 3-8-11, 14 PIM, +0
F Ben Hanowski (22, 3rd rd. '09) - St. Cloud State (17-10-1, 1st in WCHA): 12-10-22, 10 PIM, +6 (23 gp)
D Alex Velischek (22, 5th rd. '09) - Providence (10-10-5, 5th in Hockey East): 0-6-6, 28 PIM, +16

Juniors
F Bryan Rust (20, 3rd rd. '10) - Notre Dame (16-11-1, 3rd in CCHA): 7-12-19, 2 PIM, +14
F Kenneth Agostino (20, 5th rd. '10) - Yale (13-6-3, 2nd in ECAC): 12-15-27, 26 PIM, +6

Sophomores
F Josh Archibald (20, 6th rd. '11) - Nebraska-Omaha (16-10-2, 2nd in WCHA): 15-12-27, 20 PIM, +14
F Scott Wilson (20, 7th rd. '11) - UMass-Lowell (14-9-2, 6th in Hockey East): 7-14-21, 16 PIM, -3

Freshmen
*F Teodor Blueger (18, 2nd rd. '12) - Minnesota State (16-9-3, 7th in WCHA): 3-10-13, 30 PIM, +0 (24 gp)
*G Sean Maguire (19, 4th rd. '12) - Boston University (13-10-1, 4th in Hockey East): 6-4-0, 2.62 GAA, .915 SP, 2 SO



JUNIOR LEAGUES

Quebec Major Junior Hockey League:

Val d'Or are still - and rather unexpectedly - only a middle of the pack team in the Q, currently 10th in points, 7th in goals for and 11th in goals against. The Foreurs have yet to put together a big winning streak to really climb up in the standings. Anton Zlobin has been his reliably productive self, setting a new career high in assists but dropping back to 15th in league-wide scoring.

Val d'Or Foreurs (26-22-0-3, 4th in Telus West Division)
F Anton Zlobin (19, 6th rd. '12): 24-41-65, 31 PIM, +11 (45 gp)


Ontario Hockey League:

While London have taken their foot off the gas for a bit, Kitchener and Sault Ste. Marie solidified their playoff positions with a strong month. The Knights are poised to finish tops in the league, the Rangers are duelling Owen Sound for 2nd place in the Midwest Division, and the Greyhounds are in a three-way battle to win the West Division. Only Peterborough has fallen way behind the pack, though a continued Kingston slump could yet see them finish 8th in the East.

Scott Harrington had a rare multiple point game with 3 assists Jan 24 at Ottawa. Meanwhile Olli Määttä has been very quiet on the scoresheet with only 2 assists in 9 games since returning from the WJC. Matia Marcantuoni is showing signs of life again, ending a 9 game pointless streak Jan 18 and posting a modest 3-1-4 in his 8 games since. He is also a +6 for 2013 after finishing 2012 at -10. Matt Murray had his best month yet going 6-2-1 with a 2.73 GAA in January, but he's still looking for his first shutout of the season.

London Knights (39-9-1-2, 1st in Midwest Division)
D Scott Harrington (19, 2nd rd. '11): 1-14-15, 22 PIM, +16 (42 gp)
D Olli Määttä (18, 1st rd. '12): 3-23-26, 24 PIM, +8 (41 gp)

Kitchener Rangers (30-15-1-5, 3rd in Midwest Division)
F Matia Marcantuoni (18, 4th rd. '12): 7-11-18, 30 PIM, -4 (47 gp)

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (28-19-2-2, 2nd in West Division)
G Matthew Murray (18, 3rd rd. '12): 21-15-1-1, 3.48 GAA, .900 SP, 0 SO

Peterborough Petes (16-28-3-4, 4th in East Division)
D Clark Seymour (19, 5th rd. '12): 2-9-11, 49 PIM, -13 (45 gp)


Western Hockey League:

Derrick Pouliot is still out with a lower-body injury but Portland doesn't mind, being the first team in the league to qualify for the playoffs.
Not that points will ever matter much to his game but Harrison Ruopp set new career highs for assists and points last month.

Portland Winterhawks (43-7-1-2, 1st in U.S. Division)
D Derrick Pouliot (19, 1st rd. '12): 8-30-38, 54 PIM, +31 (39 gp)

Prince Albert Raiders (30-18-1-3, 1st in East Division)
D Harrison Ruopp (19, trade with PHO '12): 1-11-12, 100 PIM, +10 (50 gp)



EUROPE

Alex Pechurskiy is one of the top goalies in the Russian 2nd tier pro league. Oscar Sundqvist is shuttling back and forth between Skellefteå's Elitserien-leading senior team (1 point in 13 gp) and his junior league playoff-like round robin series.

Yuzhny Ural Orsk (28-15-3-0, 4th in Russian Major League)
G Alexander Pechurskiy (22, 5th rd. '08): 22-11-2, 1.83 GAA, .935 SP, 5 SO

Skellefteå AIK Juniors (6-4-1, 3rd in J20 SuperElit Top 10)
*F Oscar Sundqvist (18, 3rd rd. '12): 13-13-26, 32 PIM, +10 (26 gp) / playoffs: 1-3-4, 12 PIM, +0 (5 gp)
Thanks for the update Burgs. Always appreciated.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 07:46 PM
  #953
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,339
vCash: 500
Yep, great work as always Burgs. I always look forward to your reports.

td_ice is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 11:13 PM
  #954
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
This defensive corps could really use a bruiser.
Would be nice, but I don't think it's essential. Orpik is a bruiser, and Letang is nasty to play against, and so is Engelland. In that regard, we probably have more overall team toughness on defense than we did when we won the Cup in 2009.

I also think Bortuzzo will become more nasty and physical, as he continues to become more comfortable at the NHL level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Would be nice if Ruopp or Seymour work out.

Yes it would be great if Ruopp could be the next Engelland, but that will be minimum 3-4 years out. In the meantime, we have Derek Engelland! Seriously, Engelland has been one of our best and most consistent players over last year and the beginning of this one. He is signed cheaply, but he will get paid when his next contract is up. Luckily for us, however, Engo should still be in his prime, yet Martin & Orpik will likely both be gone, and their vacated spots taken over by young guys on ELC's (Dumoulin, Harrington, Morrow, etc). Until Engo's play starts to decline, I'll be happy to keep him on our team due to his unique skillset and versatility. He has even looked good on the PK, has impressive skating, and actually hits the net with his shots.


Regarding future "bruisers" on our D-corps, I think it's clear that Despres can be a physical presence if he remains with our club long-term, and I would also add Samuelsson to that list, who looks to have added a real mean-streak to his game. I really like our mix on the blue-line. We just have to wait for these guys to develop and hope Letang stays healthy to spearhead that group, because as much as I like our overall depth, I don't see a #1 Norris calibre Dman in our group.

jmelm is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:16 AM
  #955
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
This defensive corps could really use a bruiser.
What? There is Martin there who is pretty soff and on the team for other reasons, but other than that every single one of our D-men are tough to play. A lot of humanity there also after the additions of Despres and Bortuzzo.

We have just seen three games in a row where the above has been a great contributing reason to us keeping it tight around our goalie and mostly nullified three forechecks that really came at our D-men behind our net. I cannot think of a time where the need for a bruiser seemed less predominant?


....and thanks Burgs .

Tender Rip is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:21 AM
  #956
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
What? There is Martin there who is pretty soff and on the team for other reasons, but other than that every single one of our D-men are tough to play. A lot of humanity there also after the additions of Despres and Bortuzzo.

We have just seen three games in a row where the above has been a great contributing reason to us keeping it tight around our goalie and mostly nullified three forechecks that really came at our D-men behind our net. I cannot think of a time where the need for a bruiser seemed less predominant?


....and thanks Burgs .
Because though we have a bunch of guys who aren't soft by any stretch of the imagination, I don't think we have anyone on this roster, including Orpik these days, who can pull one of those shifts off that Orpik had in Detroit a few years ago. No guys shy away from contact, but I don't think any of them welcome it how Orpik did in our Cup runs. The kind of physicality where guys get scared to touch pucks for fear that they are going to get dropped.

What's the Brian Burke word? Truculence?

JTG is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:28 AM
  #957
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Because though we have a bunch of guys who aren't soft by any stretch of the imagination, I don't think we have anyone on this roster, including Orpik these days, who can pull one of those shifts off that Orpik had in Detroit a few years ago. No guys shy away from contact, but I don't think any of the welcome it how Orpik did in our Cup runs.

Oh well, we can't have it all, JTG. We've got one Orpik, and I can't think of too many teams who have multiple guys like that, while also having the overall mobility and offense from the back-end. There are lots of different formulas for winning and it doesn't only have to be one way (Detroit and Chicago being recent examples of teams who don't have more than maybe one guy who would be considered a bruiser on the back end).


The thing is, we have so much defensive depth, we can't have guys who don't play a complete game or only do one thing well. In hindsight, you could say it's a shame we didn't draft Trouba instead of Pouliot. Oh well, what's done is done, and I think DP will be a good player. But I don't want some thug like Erskine or Sutton on defense who can't do anything other than hit and occasionally get suspended. If we want the next Erik Gubranson or whatever, we'll probably have to draft him in the 1st round this year -- and I think that would make everyone go nuts if we take another Dman.

jmelm is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:44 AM
  #958
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Oh well, we can't have it all, JTG. We've got one Orpik, and I can't think of too many teams who have multiple guys like that, while also having the overall mobility and offense from the back-end. There are lots of different formulas for winning and it doesn't only have to be one way (Detroit and Chicago being recent examples of teams who don't have more than maybe one guy who would be considered a bruiser on the back end).


The thing is, we have so much defensive depth, we can't have guys who don't play a complete game or only do one thing well. In hindsight, you could say it's a shame we didn't draft Trouba instead of Pouliot. Oh well, what's done is done, and I think DP will be a good player. But I don't want some thug like Erskine or Sutton on defense who can't do anything other than hit and occasionally get suspended. If we want the next Erik Gubranson or whatever, we'll probably have to draft him in the 1st round this year -- and I think that would make everyone go nuts if we take another Dman.
My point is, Orpik isn't the same Orpik, and he isn't going to get more physical with age. It'd be nice to find a defensive prospect who is in that same mold, as we don't have one of them, unless we want to wait half a decade for Ruopp

Trouba is essentially what I'm looking for. A defenseman who strikes the fear of God into the other team and has momentum changing qualities.

I have no problem drafting defensemen if they net us wingers. We'll see what this current NHL ready crop does for us.

JTG is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:05 AM
  #959
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
What's the Brian Burke word? Truculence?
Can't we agree, that with the current composition on D, truculence there is rather low on the order of options to improve our team?

If we were talking truculence as a need, I would say that getting a top6 forward who has that - and enough skill to actually be a top6 forward - would be more useful.

And whereas I surely wouldn't whine if a guy like Regher arrived as a rental, I would also say that the biggest lack on our blueline right now is a player who can run a PP. Outside of a veteran rental, I think we are likely going to have to wait for our own defenders to develop before we get that again though.

Tender Rip is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:07 AM
  #960
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
My point is, Orpik isn't the same Orpik, and he isn't going to get more physical with age. It'd be nice to find a defensive prospect who is in that same mold, as we don't have one of them, unless we want to wait half a decade for Ruopp

Trouba is essentially what I'm looking for. A defenseman who strikes the fear of God into the other team and has momentum changing qualities.

I have no problem drafting defensemen if they net us wingers. We'll see what this current NHL ready crop does for us.

I hear you, and I would love to have a Trouba or Gudbranson in the system, but the good news short-term is that Brooks seems the healthiest and best he has looked in some time, and with the style that he plays, the shortened season may really benefit him. I still think he can "bring it" physically, and I'll be happy if he saves some of that for the playoffs. Most importantly, as long as he's picking his spots smartly and not costing us goals against by making the big hit, I'll be happy.


Regarding the longer-term and the draft, I do really think we will still go BPA, and if that's a Dman, so be it. As long as the Pens start to move some bodies off the defense for help up front by trade over the course of the season or in the summer, I'll be more than happy if they take a Dman, if he has legitimate top-2 upside, and brings a unique element or package that none of our other prospects bring -- such as that physicality, or blend of size/physicality or physicality/skill.


Should I assume, from your words, that you would be more inclined to trade Orpik versus Martin in the summer? A very good argument could be made for keeping each one and trading the other, so it will be very interesting to see what happens.

jmelm is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 07:12 AM
  #961
The Old Master
Registered User
 
The Old Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: burgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post


Should I assume, from your words, that you would be more inclined to trade Orpik versus Martin in the summer? A very good argument could be made for keeping each one and trading the other, so it will be very interesting to see what happens.
it all go's back to who/what we can get! .... i would rather trade high priced old for low priced youth. and we all ready have some of the youth waiting to play

The Old Master is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
  #962
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
it all go's back to who/what we can get! .... i would rather trade high priced old for low priced youth. and we all ready have some of the youth waiting to play

I agree to a large extent. But nonetheless, we may still have to make a decision, especially if we feel like we want to/have to retain one of these guys for next season's run.


Based on pure asset value alone, we would be best to move Brooks this summer, because he will have 1 year before he becomes a UFA, whereas Martin has 2 years before he becomes a UFA. So Brooks' value could sharpley decine the longer we hold on to him.


Looking at our depth chart, I see a lot of guys who can step in and play the left side, which Brooks does: Despres (if we keep him) will be ready by next year, and I believe Harrington and Dumoulin would be, as well. Add Niskanen to the left-side mix, and potentially Martin moving over to the left-side, as well. For example:

Despres/Dumoulin-Letang
Martin/Orpik-Bortuzzo
Niskanen-Engelland

And Harrington will be knocking on the door, and guys like Morrow or Samuelsson might be ready for call-ups to the NHL to replace and injured guy. And if we had to slash payroll to accommodate an Iginla/Perry type player, then we could see both of those guys get moved.

jmelm is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 05:03 PM
  #963
Black Label
Registered User
 
Black Label's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: København
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
Just to add on to what Burgs said about Sundqvist:

I saw him when he came up to play for his big club Skellefteå and he has been looking decent. He hasn't had a huge role on the team which is to be expected since Skellefteå is in first place and they have a lot more experienced players.

He hasn't looked out of place really when I've watched him. Obviously there is a small sample size for him with the big club this season. He uses his size well but has some issues playing against bigger guys. He needs to fill out his frame to really live up to his potential. He is about 190 lbs. or thereabouts now but I think he would look good around 200 or so since he has a big frame (6'3").

His two-way game has looked solid in the sheltered minutes he was getting. He really seems to be a boom or bust prospect at this point. I think he will either fill out his frame nicely and be a solid two-way forward in the NHL or he will never even make it to the NHL. He plays with a lot of passion and fire in his game. I don't really see a lot of top 6 potential with him but he may prove me wrong. If he converts to wing then maybe he would be able to cut it in the top 6 as a big power forward with a mean streak. I would really like to see what he could do with a full season with top 6 minutes in the SEL but that obviously is a season or two away.

Black Label is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 05:29 PM
  #964
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 17,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Just to add on to what Burgs said about Sundqvist:

I saw him when he came up to play for his big club Skellefteå and he has been looking decent. He hasn't had a huge role on the team which is to be expected since Skellefteå is in first place and they have a lot more experienced players.

He hasn't looked out of place really when I've watched him. Obviously there is a small sample size for him with the big club this season. He uses his size well but has some issues playing against bigger guys. He needs to fill out his frame to really live up to his potential. He is about 190 lbs. or thereabouts now but I think he would look good around 200 or so since he has a big frame (6'3").

His two-way game has looked solid in the sheltered minutes he was getting. He really seems to be a boom or bust prospect at this point. I think he will either fill out his frame nicely and be a solid two-way forward in the NHL or he will never even make it to the NHL. He plays with a lot of passion and fire in his game. I don't really see a lot of top 6 potential with him but he may prove me wrong. If he converts to wing then maybe he would be able to cut it in the top 6 as a big power forward with a mean streak. I would really like to see what he could do with a full season with top 6 minutes in the SEL but that obviously is a season or two away.
How's his shot and offensive instincts? Could he ever end up being a 3rd wheel type of player like Kunitz is?

If he has a good shot and uses it, being a RHS he might not be a bad guy to have around.

MrBurgundy is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:19 PM
  #965
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Just to add on to what Burgs said about Sundqvist:

I saw him when he came up to play for his big club Skellefteå and he has been looking decent. He hasn't had a huge role on the team which is to be expected since Skellefteå is in first place and they have a lot more experienced players.

He hasn't looked out of place really when I've watched him. Obviously there is a small sample size for him with the big club this season. He uses his size well but has some issues playing against bigger guys. He needs to fill out his frame to really live up to his potential. He is about 190 lbs. or thereabouts now but I think he would look good around 200 or so since he has a big frame (6'3").

His two-way game has looked solid in the sheltered minutes he was getting. He really seems to be a boom or bust prospect at this point. I think he will either fill out his frame nicely and be a solid two-way forward in the NHL or he will never even make it to the NHL. He plays with a lot of passion and fire in his game. I don't really see a lot of top 6 potential with him but he may prove me wrong. If he converts to wing then maybe he would be able to cut it in the top 6 as a big power forward with a mean streak. I would really like to see what he could do with a full season with top 6 minutes in the SEL but that obviously is a season or two away.
Thanks Black Label for the scouting report.

td_ice is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:26 PM
  #966
Black Label
Registered User
 
Black Label's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: København
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
How's his shot and offensive instincts? Could he ever end up being a 3rd wheel type of player like Kunitz is?

If he has a good shot and uses it, being a RHS he might not be a bad guy to have around.
He has more offensive upside than Kunitz does from what I can tell. I guess a good comparison would be a hybrid between Patrick Sharp's offensive skills/defensive work ethic and Kunitz's physical play. He is also bigger than either of those players as well. He still needs a lot of polishing though. At the best he is still maybe 3 years away from playing in the NHL. He will need at least a season or two in the AHL after another season or two in the SEL.

Black Label is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
  #967
Sjb141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Friend from Sweden mentioned sundqvist as a "Patrick berglund lite" but also said he's really raw. Echoed the whole "he could never make it to the nhl but could also end up as a really good 3c or even in the top 7" that you said. Seem like a good comparison?

Sjb141 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 07:04 PM
  #968
Black Label
Registered User
 
Black Label's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: København
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjb141 View Post
Friend from Sweden mentioned sundqvist as a "Patrick berglund lite" but also said he's really raw. Echoed the whole "he could never make it to the nhl but could also end up as a really good 3c or even in the top 7" that you said. Seem like a good comparison?
Berglund was more hyped up coming into the draft than Sundqvist. If Sundqvist can fill out his frame as much as Berglund I think he will actually be a better player than Berglund though. I would say his offensive upside is probably about the same as Berglund's was (but Berglund never really lived up to his full potential). But he definitely plays with more of an edge than Berglund. He also reminded me of Malkin a couple times when he got pushed around and lost his temper and took a stupid penalty due to lack of discipline.

Black Label is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 05:14 AM
  #969
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
He also reminded me of Malkin a couple times when he got pushed around and lost his temper and took a stupid penalty due to lack of discipline.
Strange, I thought he would go all out and tattoo ******* onto the object of his displeasure - with big crude letters - like his alter ego .




Tender Rip is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:46 AM
  #970
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,435
vCash: 500
Zlobin with 3 helpers last night in a big 8-1 Val D'or win

Anthony Matha 2013 draft eligible with another 2g last night now has 42 on the year!

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 10:17 AM
  #971
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Zlobin with 3 helpers last night in a big 8-1 Val D'or win

Anthony Matha 2013 draft eligible with another 2g last night now has 42 on the year!
kid can score, leading the league in goals scored.

wej20 is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 10:19 AM
  #972
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 29,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Zlobin with 3 helpers last night in a big 8-1 Val D'or win

Anthony Matha 2013 draft eligible with another 2g last night now has 42 on the year!
Do they play together most nights? Mantha's a big left-winger (left shot), right? Does that mean Zlobin usually plays right wing, or does he play the off-wing mostly?

Jag68Sid87 is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:28 AM
  #973
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
kid can score, leading the league in goals scored.
Kid is ****ing flying and he is projected between 15-20. Not sure if he slips, come draft day anything is possible and there are always surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Do they play together most nights? Mantha's a big left-winger (left shot), right? Does that mean Zlobin usually plays right wing, or does he play the off-wing mostly?
No not really, they're on different lines but sometimes see pp time together. Mantha is usually playing with Hynes and Henley

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:48 AM
  #974
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Kid is ****ing flying and he is projected between 15-20. Not sure if he slips, come draft day anything is possible and there are always surprises

Yeah, I'm not sure that he's going to slip at all. I actually think he will raise his stock, and/or some team will have him even higher and grab him. He's got a unique package of size/skill.


But this is definitely a draft where, if we don't make a trade using one or more of our prospect, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pens package their 1st + a guy like Olli Maatta (or a veteran like Orpik/Martin) and move up 10+ spots and be in the position to grab one of the higher end players.

jmelm is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 02:08 PM
  #975
BeauKnows19
Registered User
 
BeauKnows19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
According to Pouliots twitter, he's making a visit to Pittsburgh.

@dpouliot51
Off to Pittsburgh for a few days.

BeauKnows19 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.