HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Worst 5 crowds

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
Ottawa > Vancouver. Vancouver's crowd is absolutely awful.
Guess I didn't pay close enough attention to crowds unless they are Winnipeg/Chicago style or the polar opposite, but if that's true that's terrible considering the team Vancouver has and considering there is more people booing alfie in the scotia bank place then phanuef when the two meet haha

Old
02-05-2013, 12:37 AM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Ponda was pretty quiet tonight.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:39 AM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

If I recall stars fans stand up for the entire playoff overtimes... That sharks s starts classic a few years ago was insane...

Old
02-05-2013, 12:41 AM
NjDevsRR

I have been to many many many arenas. I can honestly say all are pretty dead quiet (excluding Mtl, Win) during the regular season unless its big rivalry games. Its just the way it is, I went to Rangers Senators last year in October, awful crowd. Been to a Flyers Hurricanes game in Philly, dead quiet. New Jersey is very quiet as well. Just depends on the game IMO.

Playoffs is a different story obviously. All of these places are madhouses in April.

Old
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

The Anaheim crowds tend to suck overall.

Old
Preisst
Party On!!

Montreal by far. Fans have a serious serious sense of entitlement.

The rest are the teams that don't get fans to the games.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:43 AM
topchowda

Edmonton regular season is bad, i aint even mad. The tickets are so expensive only rich drones can buy them.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:46 AM
NjDevsRR

Would just like to slip in that NJD has sold out its first four home games to open the season (16 straight since the season finale last year) and we sold out the Pittsburgh game this Saturday.

Ive waited a long time to say that, but it wont last. Lightning game on Thursday...not that enticing. But we have cracked over 10,000 season ticket holders so our fan base is still growing and maybe the game experience and the intensity of the crowd will grow as well.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Ramenbot

I agree with my own team's crowd, mainly because they always let certain road teams' fans overpower them (Wings, Canucks, Kings).

Old
02-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Those guys in Toronto are consistently willing to pay high prices to watch **** teams. They must have some level of dedication to do that.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:52 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

I don't think there's really any right answer to this question.

I've been to 12 of the current arenas in the NHL, most of them on week nights against out of conference opponents.

Those crowds might as well be 15,000+ people kicked back in their own living rooms watching a game.
There's obviously always going to be a certain buzz during big games and big rivalries - but every arena has it's off night.

Except Winnipeg.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Jaded-Fan

I am not sure the ticket prices in every arena, but for the Pens they range around $60 to $225 or so a ticket, with most tickets around $100. Of course the suites are much more. In any event, do the math. Just for the regular season that would be almost $11,000 for a family of four for the cheapest seats in the house. $18,000 plus for most of the tickets for a family of four for the season. Over $40,000 per year for a family of four for those lower level seats in the middle of the arena. That does not include parking, food, merchandise. Or postseason tickets which are at least 50% more in price.

I suspect a lot of other arenas are similar or worse.

Honestly, I am not sure what people want. It is a gate driven sport. At those prices you are going to have a lot of 'suits' who foot the bills. Are people surprised that 'suits' act like suits? I sometime think that people complain just to complain even when they know the reality.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stad View Post
I'd toss Pittsburgh in there.
Really? Why? Don't you guys sell out every game? I assumed Pittsburgh had a decent crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am not sure the ticket prices in every arena, but for the Pens they range around $60 to $225 or so a ticket, with most tickets around $100. Of course the suites are much more. In any event, do the math. Just for the regular season that would be almost $11,000 for a family of four for the cheapest seats in the house. $18,000 plus for most of the tickets for a family of four for the season. Over $40,000 per year for a family of four for those lower level seats in the middle of the arena. That does not include parking, food, merchandise. Or postseason tickets which are at least 50% more in price.

I suspect a lot of other arenas are similar or worse.

Honestly, I am not sure what people want. It is a gate driven sport. At those prices you are going to have a lot of 'suits' who foot the bills. Are people surprised that 'suits' act like suits? I sometime think that people complain just to complain even when they know the reality.
Well...it's hard to argue against this. Sometimes you need to pull equity out of your home to get 4 tickets for the family just to see one game! In Montreal, it's pretty rough here. Tickets sell out in 30 seconds, and you need to know a friend of a friend of a brother of a coworker's sister's mother in law to get your hands on a ticket.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:03 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

From the the 5 away arenas I've been to I'd say Florida was pretty ho hum.
From tv, the Ducks is always pretty tame.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:03 AM
ottawa
go habs go

Coyotes...their crowd is usually invisible or non-existent

02-05-2013, 01:04 AM
brom7

Lower seats in Boston is always quiet unless there is a goal. Balcony is where the real fans are.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post
Really? Why? Don't you guys sell out every game? I assumed Pittsburgh had a decent crowd.
I explained it above. And those prices I gave were the 'discounted' season ticket holder prices. Single ticket (they sell a few thousand of those a game) are about 30% more in price. The place was a lot more rocking before the Pens got a 10,000 plus waiting list. They have jacked up prices every year and only something like 45 people did not renew last year. But before this sellout streak that started with drafting Crosby we had student rush and that really had the house jumping. Many more could also afford the games. But now the prices are high enough that you have mostly suits, so people are complaining about suits being suits.

To me it is a silly gripe. They pay the bills to enable the team to spend to the cap and keep your Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal, etc etc. Would they rather chase the suits and not have that team? In any event it seems like a silly swipe at those who pay for the team. Suits are just gonna be suits, and that is true in all these arenas people are complaining about. It is like complaining about the stripes on a zebra. Nothing is going to change so let it go.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 02-05-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old
Leo W

Buffalo vs Toronto last year in Buffalo was one of the most awesome crowds I've ever experienced including playoffs.

Old
Mattb124

In my experience, it is Canucks fans when in San Jose.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:11 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Duck Pond was real quiet, as usual. You could hear the Sharks fans there.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:11 AM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
I went to a San Jose game once against Anaheim in SJ. I wasn't impressed, though the Ducks really routed them that night.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:12 AM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I explained it above. The place was a lot more rocking before the Pens got a 10,000 plus waiting list. They have jacked up prices every year and only something like 45 people did not renew last year. But before this sellout streak that started with drafting Crosby we had student rush and that really had the house jumping. Many more could also afford the games. But now the prices are high enough that you have mostly suits, so people are complaining about suits being suits.

To me it is a silly gripe. They pay the bills to enable the team to spend to the cap and keep your Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal, etc etc. Would they rather chase the suits and not have that team? In any event it seems like a silly swipe at those who pay for the team. Suits are just gonna be suits, and that is true in all these arenas people are complaining about. It is like complaining about the stripes on a zebra. Nothing is going to change so let it go.
When it was 05-06 the place was jumping because every game was "big". We didn't really expect them to win, but as a STH after going to dozens of playoff games and two SCF runs regular season games don't pack the punch that they used to. Before I would scream my head off, now I just sit in my seat and enjoy the game. I love and enjoy the game, I'm just not as emotional as I used to be. I think it is the same way for many of the STH. We still go to games, we just have gotten used to winning so many regular season games that we look forward to the playoffs. Just my 2 cents.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Griffin6612

The Penguins one is awful right now. Watching them against the Jets, it was CRAZY how laud they were.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
When it was 05-06 the place was jumping because every game was "big". We didn't really expect them to win, but as a STH after going to dozens of playoff games and two SCF runs regular season games don't pack the punch that they used to. Before I would scream my head off, now I just sit in my seat and enjoy the game. I love and enjoy the game, I'm just not as emotional as I used to be. I think it is the same way for many of the STH. We still go to games, we just have gotten used to winning so many regular season games that we look forward to the playoffs. Just my 2 cents.
There certainly will be some of that. I remember in 2008 and 2009 that description was used about Detroit fans when we played them in the finals.

Make us yell. I dare you.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:17 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Duck Pond was real quiet, as usual. You could hear the Sharks fans there.
And you knew that they were Sharks fans how?

Ponda is louder than it sounds on TV I can assure you that. It gets loud in there. Not as loud as HP, but don't underrate it.

Closed Thread