Notices

The 2000-2010 Drafts from a Flames Perspective

Old
02-04-2013, 09:47 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I'll be impressed with Feaster + Weisbros once we see the end results, not the recipe. If someone more than Baerstchi makes an impact in the NHL, I'll have confidence in their drafting
This is true but I can't remember the last time the Flames drafter more than 1 player that I saw a spot for them in the nhl that was 4th liner.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:56 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
This is true but I can't remember the last time the Flames drafter more than 1 player that I saw a spot for them in the nhl that was 4th liner.
I agree opportunity needs to be available, but I saw Horak, Byron, Nemisz, Aliu, etc last year and wasn't impressed like I was with Baerstchi. We put Backlund into the mix immediately because he was NHL ready, and that was under Sutter. Every year we have a training camp where someone who impresses makes the team. But if they aren't good, why ice them?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:24 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I agree opportunity needs to be available, but I saw Horak, Byron, Nemisz, Aliu, etc last year and wasn't impressed like I was with Baerstchi. We put Backlund into the mix immediately because he was NHL ready, and that was under Sutter. Every year we have a training camp where someone who impresses makes the team. But if they aren't good, why ice them?
Weren't impressed with their nhl games or ahl? In the ahl Aliu looks the exact same as the nhl big guy isn't afraid of any one and really likes to hit he would be a good call up if we lose either Jackman or Begin. Nemisz is what he is nothing special but won't hurt you either is really more of ahl callup than an nhl player imo. Byron's game has gone down on the Heat as they play a very boring defensive style he needs a faster pace system to be effective I didn't think he looked bad in the nhl. I think Horak could be a late bloomer I really wany him to spend the rest of this year and maybe in most of next year in the ahl being the go to guy I think it will do alot for his confidence and for his offensive game.

Also I really think it is unfair to compare them to Sven, Sven is a special player he sees the ice in a way most players don't he has the play making ability of Tanguay and a great wrist shot(I think Tanguay is a good comparable to the type of player he will become).

Old
02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Weren't impressed with their nhl games or ahl? In the ahl Aliu looks the exact same as the nhl big guy isn't afraid of any one and really likes to hit he would be a good call up if we lose either Jackman or Begin. Nemisz is what he is nothing special but won't hurt you either is really more of ahl callup than an nhl player imo. Byron's game has gone down on the Heat as they play a very boring defensive style he needs a faster pace system to be effective I didn't think he looked bad in the nhl. I think Horak could be a late bloomer I really wany him to spend the rest of this year and maybe in most of next year in the ahl being the go to guy I think it will do alot for his confidence and for his offensive game.

Also I really think it is unfair to compare them to Sven, Sven is a special player he sees the ice in a way most players don't he has the play making ability of Tanguay and a great wrist shot(I think Tanguay is a good comparable to the type of player he will become).
I think it's more than fair to compare them to Sven. We need good prospects capable of making an impact. I want a system with high end talent. Why would I want a system with Bancks, Wahl, Nemisz, Cameron, Byron and guys who would make the 4th line at best

Old
02-04-2013, 10:53 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I think it's more than fair to compare them to Sven. We need good prospects capable of making an impact. I want a system with high end talent. Why would I want a system with Bancks, Wahl, Nemisz, Cameron, Byron and guys who would make the 4th line at best
I don't see how comparing 2nd,3rd,4th round picks to a 14th overall pick that people are all ready saying fell way to far is fair at all. By the same comparison we could say Sven looks like **** as he is no Crosby. Aliu is there for toughness not goal scoring, Nemisz is a defensive player and always has been how can you expect them to be offensive?

Old
02-04-2013, 10:59 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I don't see how comparing 2nd,3rd,4th round picks to a 14th overall pick that people are all ready saying fell way to far is fair at all. By the same comparison we could say Sven looks like **** as he is no Crosby. Aliu is there for toughness not goal scoring, Nemisz is a defensive player and always has been how can you expect them to be offensive?
Who drafts people with the intention of them having careers on the brink of the NHL. I understand there's different types of players but regardless of how they play they are either NHL caliber, top 6 caliber, or not. Those later rounds are for projects, rolling the dice, or even because the NHL for some reason extends into 7 rounds. But the goal is still the same

Old
02-04-2013, 11:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Who drafts people with the intention of them having careers on the brink of the NHL. I understand there's different types of players but regardless of how they play they are either NHL caliber, top 6 caliber, or not. Those later rounds are for projects, rolling the dice, or even because the NHL for some reason extends into 7 rounds.
Yes I agree but you are saying Aliu didn't impress you the way Sven did, of course he didn't the guy isn't the same. Aliu is a tough guy he is an enforcer he played extremely well in his couple of games last year and plays the same way on the Heat. He won't get you points you shouldn't compare him to Sven you should compare him to players he is similar to such as Jackman and Bouma etc.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

As bad as the Flames drafted in that decade, it's important to note that they combined bad drafting with a ruinous developmental system. It was essentially on par with the likes of Columbus and Florida, as organizations almost assuredly failing to get the most of their players potential.

And while drafting has gotten significantly better in the last two years, there's still a lot of question marks with regards to whether or not the organization can develop its prospects to better achieve their potential.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:25 PM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
As bad as the Flames drafted in that decade, it's important to note that they combined bad drafting with a ruinous developmental system. It was essentially on par with the likes of Columbus and Florida, as organizations almost assuredly failing to get the most of their players potential.

And while drafting has gotten significantly better in the last two years, there's still a lot of question marks with regards to whether or not the organization can develop its prospects to better achieve their potential.
Agreed.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:36 PM
mjw22

well that post showing the draft and picks given away has made me wanna Has there ever been a worse waste of draft picks . Sutter and those scouts must have been half drunk on draft day.

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:42 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
well that post showing the draft and picks given away has made me wanna Has there ever been a worse waste of draft picks . Sutter and those scouts must have been half drunk on draft day.
In hindsight I wish the team would've traded more picks away. When your management team can't draft, you don't ask them to put it on display. Just trade the picks and find other ways to obtain valuable assets

Old
02-04-2013, 11:44 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
In hindsight I wish the team would've traded more picks away. When your management team can't draft, you don't ask them to put it on display. Just trade the picks and find other ways to obtain valuable assets
At least hide the shame of a list like this. We barely found any players that were better than 4th liners.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:46 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Yes I agree but you are saying Aliu didn't impress you the way Sven did, of course he didn't the guy isn't the same. Aliu is a tough guy he is an enforcer he played extremely well in his couple of games last year and plays the same way on the Heat. He won't get you points you shouldn't compare him to Sven you should compare him to players he is similar to such as Jackman and Bouma etc.
It wasn't a lack of goals as to why Sven only impressed, it was a lack of overall talent and promise. When I see players outperform the opposition in skating, faceoffs, strength, or chances, I'll see promise regardless of the score sheet. But when guys have issues playing with 4th liners, then clearly they're worse than a 4th liner. If it happens over several shifts and several games mind you

Old
02-04-2013, 11:52 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
It wasn't a lack of goals as to why Sven only impressed, it was a lack of overall talent and promise. When I see players outperform the opposition in skating, faceoffs, strength, or chances, I'll see promise regardless of the score sheet. But when guys have issues playing with 4th liners, then clearly they're worse than a 4th liner. If it happens over several shifts and several games mind you
I agree but Aliu didn't look out of place on the 4th line neither did Bouma both players are good 4th liners but they will simply never excite you the way an amazing skater and player like Sven will. To say that all those players should impress you the same way is a very strange view point. I don't see why a defensive physical player should excite you the same way a play maker does. They play the game so differently that doesn't make them bad picks or prospects.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:58 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I agree but Aliu didn't look out of place on the 4th line neither did Bouma both players are good 4th liners but they will simply never excite you the way an amazing skater and player like Sven will. To say that all those players should impress you the same way is a very strange view point. I don't see why a defensive physical player should excite you the same way a play maker does. They play the game so differently that doesn't make them bad picks or prospects.
Aliu was good, but obviously he's not anymore. Bouma didn't impress. Jackman + Kostopolous were better

Old
02-04-2013, 11:58 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

Old
02-05-2013, 12:02 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Aliu was good, but obviously he's not anymore. Bouma didn't impress. Jackman + Kostopolous were better
Aliu was the same last year as he is now (his stats don't tell the whole story, Ward is a big problem with the Heat) he literally has no offense but his style of play is the exact same, Bouma was very impressive on the pk he knew where to be to get in the lanes and was good at reading the play. He is the reason TKO was let go this year and would be in the lineup if he didn't have a season ending injury.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:18 AM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Management completely disagrees with that statement. There is a reason why Kostopoulos was let go, and a reason Begin was even given an opportunity to make this team. Those reasons both have to do with Bouma earning a full time spot on this roster and subsequently having a year ending injury .

He is your prototypical bottom six player that is young and cost controlled for a few more years. He hits, kills penalties, block shots, can fight, can play LW or C and plays with an intensity that very few can match on this current roster. He also has all the makings to be wearing a letter in the not to distant future in my opinion.

I really wanted to see a Bouma - Jones - Jackman line this year.

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 02-05-2013 at 12:23 AM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote