HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVIII All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 10:19 PM
groovejuice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Aside from Selanne, they pretty much all have similar season starts. Unless you're speculating on leadership, which I have no idea about, I don't think adding one of the players you mentioned would have made any difference.

.. And you know Selanne would have not signed anywhere else than in Anaheim..
Maybe I wasn't clear then. I don't care about this season's starts. I think all those 1st round studs need an HOFer mentor to reach their potential.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:28 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear then. I don't care about this season's starts. I think all those 1st round studs need an HOFer mentor to reach their potential.
I don't know what makes you think that Jagr or Whitney would be any better mentors. In fact I'd think that it isn't the case for Jagr (history speaks) and that Whitney isn't a HOFer anyway. In any case a HOFer isn't necessarily a good coach or mentor (ref. Gretzky).

I don't know them personally so not drawing any hasty conclusions, but if Edmonton decided not go after anybody, it's most likely because the team was in good shape with its leaders which includes Hemsky and he seems fine in this short seasons start.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:52 PM
SB164

If I started a thread in the main board with the title "Is Brad Marchand crying?", would it be insta-locked

Old
02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
Hall with a terrible penalty shot attempt...

Old
02-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
And then the sedins...

Old
02-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Souray and Koivu putting the Ducks ahead of the Sharks right now. The fun part is, Gomez tipped Souray's shot up over Greiss, lol.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Total choke job by the Oilers. From not scoring on the late PP with the chance to make it 3-1, to Dubnyk allowing a killer soft goal to tie it up (and blowing a 2-0 lead), to the ugly Hall PS attempt, concluding with the shoddy defensive zone coverage on the Tanev winner.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:35 PM
TheBabysitter*

Vancouver fans saying how bad they played, 39 shots and complete domination in the 3rd and O.T, those guys are spoiled.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:36 PM
TheBabysitter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
If I started a thread in the main board with the title "Is Brad Marchand crying?", would it be insta-locked
Do it.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 2100
Can't believe people are envious of the Oilers... this team is a JOKE!!!

2010: They picked Hall instead of Seguin. Bad choice
2011: RNH instead of Landeskog. Landeskog is more complete and RNH had been horrible so far... 5 assists in 9 games (no goals).
2012: Yakupov over Galchenyuk. Galchy (+5) is a lot better than Yakupov (-6) defensively.

Even Eberle is a complete joke defensively.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:48 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

2011: RNH instead of Landeskog. Landeskog is more complete and RNH had been horrible so far... 5 assists in 9 games (no goals).
2012: Yakupov over Galchenyuk. Galchy (+5) is a lot better than Yakupov (-6) defensively.

Wow when you put it out like that they sure did **** up

crazy how a team of all 1st's can still screw up

Old
02-04-2013, 11:52 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:

honestly, this post is a complete joke

Old
02-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Et le But

Saku is still better than Gomez.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't think anyone ever questioned that

Old
02-05-2013, 12:03 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
that's kinda like saying a porsche is better than a hyundai.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
I don't think anyone ever questioned that
Apparently Gainey did.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Nicko999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Well that's my opinion and if you disagree, that's fine. But for me, a team that has 3 straight 1st overall picks must be a lot better than what they are this season.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:13 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Well that's my opinion and if you disagree, that's fine. But for me, a team that has 3 straight 1st overall picks must be a lot better than what they are this season.
I totally agree with you, for what that's worth haha

Old
02-05-2013, 12:22 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Indeed.. I still pick Hall over Seguin, Hall is a wonderfull hockey player and will be one of the best wingers in the league in 2-3 years from now..

RNH is struggling right now but he had a shoulder surgery this summer and is apparently not quite confortable yet, the kid has magic hands and will be a player no doubt..

Dont forget thats a pretty young team, especially their top 6, its scary to think what they will be able to do in some years if they can stay healthy, they are already very competitive..

Old
02-05-2013, 12:30 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
They are kids playing against men, I think they are doing pretty well considering they have poor veterans support.. Their firepower is set for years up front, they just need to get help on D..

Old
02-05-2013, 12:30 AM
pine*

Quote:

And you're basing this off... a nine game sample?

I would trade our forward core for their forward core. In a heartbeat.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:44 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Quote:

first off eberle is not a complete joke defensively. average perhaps, a 'complete joke' he most certainly is not.

as opposed to hall, seguin was eased into 'tougher' minutes and he is still not facing anywhere near the kind of competition hall is facing game in and game out. and on top of that, it's still way too early to call it a 'bad choice'. hall is also a ppg so far this seasons and since you love to use +/-, he's + 3.

rnh's ceiling is still miles higher than landeskog's. the same rnh who got 52 points in 62 games last year playing 18 minutes a night. tambo would - and should have been crucified had he taken landeskog with the first overall instead of rnh. he's a 19 year old kid playing center in the national hockey league. and did i mention that it's too early to tell?

galchenyuk better defensively than yakupov? yeah, ok. everybody knows this so it shouldn't be a huge surprise since one's a sniper and the other a two-way center. he wasn't drafted to be good defensively, and most rookies aren't anyways, he was drafted to score goals. 5 goals and 2 assists in 9 games. he's doing exactly what he was drafted to do. also, you should steer clear of using +/- to point out that someone is good or bad defensively.

also: it's too early to tell.

3 years ago, the oilers elected to rebuild the team. not just the team in the nhl but also the farm in OKC. they literally blew up everything... so yes, it will take some time before they go back to the playoffs and as much as we'd like to pretend that first overall all enter the league and start ripping everybody a new one, not every shiny new prospect can do that, in fact, most can't.

these aren't just first overall picks that get inserted into a lineup and start playing with veterans with somewhat sheltered minutes, they are 18, 19, 21, 22 year old kids asked to carry a team with no veteran help. they have a decent team in OKC but it's still a rebuild in progress.

i am not envious of the oilers one bit and i still think that tambo is a ****** GM but he has a plan and he's going through with it and he warned everybody three years ago that it was gonna take a while, and that it wasn't always gonna be pretty

so there, facts with context, not just a rant-like post.

edit: and i should add that belanger and horcoff, their two veteran centers and best centermen at taking faceoffs are out with injury. the sad thing in all of this is that tambo will still not go and get help either on the blue line, or to replace either of horcoff and belanger. you think the habs have problem with faceoffs, the oilers would make your head explode...

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 02-05-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old
02-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Nicko999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
And you're basing this off... a nine game sample?

I would trade our forward core for their forward core. In a heartbeat.
If you want to score a lot of goals, absolutely I would trade our forwards for theirs... but if you want to win games, I take ours which is more balanced and better defensively.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:56 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
This is the end result of surrounding elite skilled rookies with scrub veterans. Many people here wanted to trade all of our older players for picks and prospects without understanding you need good old players to bring along talent.

A bunch of overhyped names isn't going to do **** when they are getting stomped every night by well rounded teams. Galchenyuk will be brought up right, he will be shielded by Pleks/Markov/Gionta/Cole until he is ready for the main stage.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:08 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
This is the end result of surrounding elite skilled rookies with scrub veterans. Many people here wanted to trade all of our older players for picks and prospects without understanding you need good old players to bring along talent.

A bunch of overhyped names isn't going to do **** when they are getting stomped every night by well rounded teams. Galchenyuk will be brought up right, he will be shielded by Pleks/Markov/Gionta/Cole until he is ready for the main stage.
Relax, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, and Nail Yakupov will be great players, they just need time. Sometimes great players take a while to develop: John Tavares didn't become a ppg player until his third season for example.

Like the Columbus Blue Jackets, their pre-tank picks, Sam Gagner and Magnus-Paajarvi-Svensson, selected at 6th overall from when they were foolishly trying and thus inevitably failing to make the almighty playoffs, are mediocre at best. However, they also got Justin Schultz and Jordan Eberle, so they're not just dependent on their tank picks to succeed. They nailed some other picks too. Ryan Whitney looks like a good player to have as well.

Edmonton will be a great team real soon. They are already a bubble team.

Last edited by DAChampion: 02-05-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Closed Thread