HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give Gainey a break for now

Old
07-03-2006, 04:11 PM
RC51

vCash: 500
Give Gainey a break for now

To all posters.

Only a bit of time will tell if Gainey is right or wrong.

When the herd goes in one direction and you don't you leave yourself open to ridicule, and wow is this going on right now with Gainey.

In just 3 days Gainey has gone from a top GM to a bum or so says many posters.

Yet a lot agree that most of these contracts are way too high and way to long. Well you can't have it both ways.
Either you believe in what you write or your just a bandwagon type of guy.

IF, Gainey is right by backing away from these types of contracts then he will prove he is a top GM and with mega balls to take the flack at the time so the greater good in the longer term.

If Gainey is wrong about the CAP wrong about the CONTRACTS and wrong about the LENGTH of the contracts then all the Habs realy lost is a bit of time as the prospects the HABS already have come up to help the Habs.

It's not surprising that some GM'S just have to over spend to make thier team better. Covering bad mistakes of the past costs BIG money. Every GM is under pressure to WIN NOW or else.

Now throw in an extra wild card from now on, UFA players will pick a team that they like or a city that they like because the offers from teams are all in the same ball park. The wives get a say, the kids get a say, the sun, the taxes, the fans, the possibility of a cup.

This all points to the future UFA's acting exactly the same and the new NHL will look like this as the age goes down to 27.

The only stable asset is your prospect pool and just how good is it.
When your rookies develope and hit the NHL, if you picked right, then you buy your UFA's in accordance to your teams needs for a cup run.

The current "have nots" ( good prospects) are handing out big,long contracts in order to plug BIG HOLES. BUT no team that has signed a big name or two, is in a position to make a cup run next year.

So all this, this year is about just making next years playoffs.
The NHL next year will be much more competative yet again.
Do you see anyone running away with a division next year????

Is this what Gainey knows? is this what Gainey is doing?
Waiting to see the dust settle on the Habs rookies, not making big moves in the wrong year?
The Habs, AS THEY ARE, will be in the hunt for a playoff spot anyway and without any UFA additions. Getting rid of a few and bringing up more rookies.

So please stop freaking out this year. Yes it would have been nice to plug that hole at 2nd centre this year, but not at ANY COST !

Desperate moves by desperate GM's is what we are seeing right now. Gainey does not think the HABS are desperate right now, so he sticks to his beliefs and does not over pay.

Is he right?
what do you think?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Cyrrus147

He's in break since July 1.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:21 PM
habitforming

A little long - But nice thread Heading - it's about time.

I've been ranting to all these individuals crying out there just because we didn't get sucked into the RFA frenzy. RFA's are a joke, because these players are not looking to help win a cup for the team they suckered into forking over the dough.

They give themselves priority first - 98.9% (biggest dollar with biggest guarantee - meaning selfishness), then maybe giving second priority 1.1% (in really wanting their name on the cup).

And who do we have to blame - Free Wheeling GM'S and Owners.

Exception of BG - Stay the course Bob! The trade will do just fine.

habitforming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
A little long - But nice thread Heading - it's about time.

I've been ranting to all these individuals crying out there just because we didn't get sucked into the RFA frenzy. RFA's are a joke, because these players are not looking to help win a cup for the team they suckered into forking over the dough.

They give themselves priority first - 98.9% (biggest dollar with biggest guarantee - meaning selfishness), then maybe giving second priority 1.1% (in really wanting their name on the cup).

And who do we have to blame - Free Wheeling GM'S and Owners.

Exception of BG - Stay the course Bob! The trade will do just fine.
Yea you're right, only Bob Gainey is right and all the others GM did wrong. When Gainey trade Théodore, he said that he would be active on the free agent market. Look like Bob lied to us again.

Old
07-03-2006, 04:39 PM
habitforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Yea you're right, only Bob Gainey is right and all the others GM did wrong. When Gainey trade Théodore, he said that he would be active on the free agent market. Look like Bob lied to us again.
Buddy - take a look at your calender, I might go on a limb with this one but it says JULY 3, 2006.

Where in the Job Description of a GM does it say that you must sign UFA's July 1st or shortly after?? I don't get all the negative thinking!!

I'm really trying to be not critical with you on this but give it time mate! Besides, regarding Theodore - so what! I'm sure he tried to get a UFA if that is what he wanted - but at some point you gotta walk from the table.

6.5 to 8 mill. for a player - is that what you were really hoping for?? If yes, then we aren't on the same page & may as well end it there!

Old
07-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Buddy - take a look at your calender, I might go on a limb with this one but it says JULY 3, 2006.

Where in the Job Description of a GM does it say that you must sign UFA's July 1st or shortly after?? I don't get all the negative thinking!!

I'm really trying to be not critical with you on this but give it time mate! Besides, regarding Theodore - so what! I'm sure he tried to get a UFA if that is what he wanted - but at some point you gotta walk from the table.

6.5 to 8 mill. for a player - is that what you were really hoping for?? If yes, then we aren't on the same page & may as well end it there!
Hummm there will be a ton of UFA avalaible in august...(sarcasm)

Old
07-03-2006, 04:47 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Seems like he forgot that this isn't 2005... UFA started July 1st not August 1st.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:48 PM
NBHABSFAN

Some of what I have read and listened to on the radio is making me sick. Come on people.

Does Montreal need some additional talent...Yes but because we have not signed anyone as of yet is no reason to call for Gainey's head.

Personally I am glad we didn't spend a whole ****load of money on a player and sign them to a long term contract.

As a habs fan I am not disappointed on what happened so far, if you don't like don't support them, don't buy tickets I am sure there will be someone to take your place.

NBHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:49 PM
kobe

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more with this assessment. The problem is a lot of people here think that Bob Gainey is a excellent gm when he's really an average gm. Not a terrible one like some say but not the genius that a lot of people think he is. Let's face, he ain't in the same league as Ken Holland, Brian Burke, Kevin Lowe, Doug Maclean and Lou Lamoriello.

I'm sick of hearing that we tried to do this and do that. Stop trying and get something good done

kobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Seems like he forgot that this isn't 2005... UFA started July 1st not August 1st.
Please learn to read, it won't hurt.

Old
07-03-2006, 04:55 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe View Post
Couldn't agree with you more with this assessment. The problem is a lot of people here think that Bob Gainey is a excellent gm when he's really an average gm. Not a terrible one like some say but not the genius that a lot of people think he is. Let's face, he ain't in the same league as Ken Holland, Brian Burke, Kevin Lowe, Doug Maclean and Lou Lamoriello.
What the hell has Doug Maclean ever done? He has never even made the playoffs in Columbus. Kevin Lowe has had the Oilers treading the same water as the Habs for longer than Gainey. Brian Burke never got Vancouver anywhere and the jury is still out on his time with Anaheim.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:58 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
What the hell has Doug Maclean ever done? He has never even made the playoffs in Columbus. Kevin Lowe has had the Oilers treading the same water as the Habs for longer than Gainey. Brian Burke never got Vancouver anywhere and the jury is still out on his time with Anaheim.
gainey has done 1 thing 3 of those haven't done, let see if kobe can guess what.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:58 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Please learn to read, it won't hurt.
Actually I think you should because I was agreeing with you that that UFA market will be useless in August.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think Gainey is going to stay put and play the kids and maybe bring in someone for a push to the playoffs during the season.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Actually I think you should because I was agreeing with you that that UFA market with be useless in August.
lol ok i tough you were talking to me

Old
habitforming

Quote:
ummmmm . . . . . not sure if you actually read what I said & if you took a moment it would register to you that all should get off this "Why haven't we signed anyone blah blah blah" and indicate that there is no rule that you have to put together your team by signing UFA's !!!

There are other options - why isn't this clear to you or is comprehensioness a difficulty for you in your current state!

Old
07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
ummmmm . . . . . not sure if you actually read what I said & if you took a moment it would register to you that all should get off this "Why haven't we signed anyone blah blah blah" and indicate that there is no rule that you have to put together your team by signing UFA's !!!

There are other options - why isn't this clear to you or is comprehensioness a difficulty for you in your current state!

You won't improve your team with players like Suchy, Lindros, Allison.

Old
07-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Pere Noel

I too am giving Gainey a break

He said he wanted more offense... and didn't care to sign a defenseman, were he to sign Bouillon, which he did.

He took care of his own UFA by signing Bouillon and Huet as a goalie (and we should add Koivu to that list).

I understand (if we are to believe what was written left and right, but should we really believe any of that?) that he did try to get Elias and Arnott.

So what, he didn't get them... but did you see the contracts they got?

I am not sure, I would have been willing to sign them for those contracts, and for that long. So be it. I think it did the smarter move by not signing them.

Not unlike the Adrian Aucoin signing two years ago. Big fat contract that did the Hawks no good. Bob had said, he was taking a pass back then, when he saw how much it would cost to sign Aucoin. Good for us !

All in all, I respect Bob more for not signing any other UFAs considering the amount and length of contracts these guys commended.

Securing Koivu + Bouillon + Huet was the right thing to do. And so was letting go the other as well (Bulis, Sundstrom, etc) to leave room for potential UFA signing or our rookies.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
habitforming

Quote:
You won't improve your team with players like Suchy, Lindros, Allison.
. . . . . ok, I know your playing here - I'll give you pass on my comment

. . . . . If your serious with that comment, Refer again to what I said & maybe
you'll get it. - maybe you will. hopefully you will. most likely you will. or
possibly you are a lost soul ! lol

Old
07-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32 View Post
I think Gainey is going to stay put and play the kids and maybe bring in someone for a push to the playoffs during the season.
I concur.

I liked the approach he had when he got Kovalev. It is always better to get to see how a player fits with the team and like the team before signing him to a long contract.

Also, I have no clue who will be UFA next year, but in terms of forwards... I didn't like the pool 2006 pool of UFA... so we may as well save the money rather than invest in questionable players.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Empireshark

Quote:

Who are you to say that Gainey hasn't been active in the Free Agent market? Just because he was unable to sign someone or unwilling to match some of these ridiculous contracts that these guys have been signing doesn't mean that he didn't try to get some of those players. Montreal has improved every year since Bob has been the GM and Bob has won a Stanley cup as a GM, and Bob has had competitive teams as GM both in Dallas and Montreal so to suggest that he is merely an average GM shows how little hockey knowledge that you actually have. As for Maclean, Burke, and Lowe if you don't win a cup it doesn't really matter how sexy your roster looks now does it? And as far as Lamarillo is concerned someone should let him know that the salary cap isn't $57 mil. because if it was I'm sure that other teams would have been willing to give Elias the big long term contract as well. Also, how well has Hollands Wings done in the playoffs since Bowman left?

Empireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:18 PM
NH Habsfan

Gainey's actions remind me of the way Scott Pioli and Bill Belicheck of the Patriots run things. They develop talent from within and wait for the free agent frenzy to be over, then they try to find talent that fits their team and is cap friendly. It seems to work in the NFL, but I guess we have to see if it works in the NHL

NH Habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:48 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark View Post
Who are you to say that Gainey hasn't been active in the Free Agent market? Just because he was unable to sign someone or unwilling to match some of these ridiculous contracts that these guys have been signing doesn't mean that he didn't try to get some of those players. Montreal has improved every year since Bob has been the GM and Bob has won a Stanley cup as a GM, and Bob has had competitive teams as GM both in Dallas and Montreal so to suggest that he is merely an average GM shows how little hockey knowledge that you actually have. As for Maclean, Burke, and Lowe if you don't win a cup it doesn't really matter how sexy your roster looks now does it? And as far as Lamarillo is concerned someone should let him know that the salary cap isn't $57 mil. because if it was I'm sure that other teams would have been willing to give Elias the big long term contract as well. Also, how well has Hollands Wings done in the playoffs since Bowman left?
Great post.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:50 PM
habitforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark View Post

Old
07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
habitforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Habsfan View Post
Gainey's actions remind me of the way Scott Pioli and Bill Belicheck of the Patriots run things. They develop talent from within and wait for the free agent frenzy to be over, then they try to find talent that fits their team and is cap friendly. It seems to work in the NFL, but I guess we have to see if it works in the NHL
. . . . & yes IT DOES work in the NHL . . .