HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another reason why we are doing good...

Old
02-05-2013, 04:03 AM
Shaby23

vCash: 50
Another reason why we are doing good...

No Scott Gomez. Not only he wasn't producing at all and was making everyone else bad in his line, but he was also grudging quality time on ice. I think he was playing 17-18mins ( did not watch the Habs at the end of the year, so i don't know if he were still playing many miutes). So we have almost 1/3 of the game where our team is much better.

MB did a major favor to us by getting rid of him

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:11 AM
Toro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
No Scott Gomez. Not only he wasn't producing at all and was making everyone else bad in his line, but he was also grudging quality time on ice. I think he was playing 17-18mins ( did not watch the Habs at the end of the year, so i don't know if he were still playing many miutes). So we have almost 1/3 of the game where our team is much better.

MB did a major favor to us by getting rid of him
I agree but at the same time, SJ is doing fine with him. I dont know where in the lineup he is playing or how many minutes but he is still a good hockey player, just doesnt fit in Montreal. His style and size is not needed here. SJ can afford to have a small passing forward as depth, we cant.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:19 AM
Shaby23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I agree but at the same time, SJ is doing fine with him. I dont know where in the lineup he is playing or how many minutes but he is still a good hockey player, just doesnt fit in Montreal. His style and size is not needed here. SJ can afford to have a small passing forward as depth, we cant.
I think he's playing on a 3rd line. Dunno about his ice time. It's maybe 12-13mins with no PP. So far he has 2 pass in 6games, so yea it's not that good. But i agree that he wasn't a good fit at all in MTL

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Neutrino

While I hate pooping on him even after he's gone, I have to say his absence is doing us goo right now.

His minutes are Gallagher's basically, he's the one who benefits from Gomer being a goner the most.

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:27 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
While I hate pooping on him even after he's gone
Why?

Some players fought well for us, they gave us happy times, and I'm happy to see them succeed elsewhere: Halak, Cammalleri, Lapierre, Higgins, Gill, etc.

Gomez is not one of those players. He let himself go. He can go to Krispy Kremes with Chris Campoli for all I care.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:59 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Why?

Some players fought well for us, they gave us happy times, and I'm happy to see them succeed elsewhere: Halak, Cammalleri, Lapierre, Higgins, Gill, etc.

Gomez is not one of those players. He let himself go. He can go to Krispy Kremes with Chris Campoli for all I care.
FML.

Gomez had a ppg second half to 09-10, leading point getter on our team down the stretch, and several more playoff points than Plekanec. He contributed that first year.

Gomez was a guy who gave an effort, the guys liked him, but the results were not there the past two seasons.

Chris Higgins ruined his promising career in Montreal partying night after night, and played in a fog for two and a half years including his next gigs after ours before somewhat getting things back together lately.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Mats86

I think new coach and front office big reason we started on fire. Generally a big shakeup team responds. Rejean Houle holds the team record for most wins to start their front office career.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Those 2 assists, no goals in 6 games could really be helping us right now.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
I think he's playing on a 3rd line. Dunno about his ice time. It's maybe 12-13mins with no PP. So far he has 2 pass in 6games, so yea it's not that good. But i agree that he wasn't a good fit at all in MTL
He's averaging 14min overall and 3:30min per game on the Pp.

Gomez is not a reason as to why we are doing better. That's a stupid shot at him.
He didn't even play half the season last year.

There's two reasons why we're doing great. The return of Markov and Price's stellar performance.
There are other factors, like Plekanec's solid start, same with Bourque, Gionta's return, Diaz's growth (as well as Emelin's), the depth provided by our rookies. But none of that would matter if Markov wasn't back and Price wasn't playing the way he has.

Stop blaming Gomez, it has nothing to do with it. He wasn't part of our solution but he's not to blame.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

He's the one that deflected Souray's GWG last night.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He's averaging 14min overall and 3:30min per game on the Pp.

Gomez is not a reason as to why we are doing better. That's a stupid shot at him.
He didn't even play half the season last year.

There's two reasons why we're doing great. The return of Markov and Price's stellar performance.
There are other factors, like Plekanec's solid start, same with Bourque, Gionta's return, Diaz's growth (as well as Emelin's), the depth provided by our rookies. But none of that would matter if Markov wasn't back and Price wasn't playing the way he has.

Stop blaming Gomez, it has nothing to do with it. He wasn't part of our solution but he's not to blame.
Meh there wasn't much compete in Gomez in our defensive end, could have drastically impacted a few games. Not saying he's the reason were doing so well but it's definitely helped that he's not here. Guys like Gallagher are fighting for every minute of icetime.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Nedved

teams better because everyone is playing better, and we're healthy.

healthy: markov, gionta, bourque

better: emelin, diaz, price

moreless the same: dd, cole, pacioretty, pleks, eller, moen, kaberle, gorges

additional guys who are contributing more than expected: agal, bgal, prust, and even bouillon looks decent with limited minutes.

team's just put together relatively well, and people who you didn't expect so much from, mostly the young guys prust and our d (some) are playing much, much better than a lot thought possible.

team blew a lot of leads last year, they look like they have it on lock down and will be difficult for other teams to battle back with a healthy line-up.

if our d stays healthy, the argument for best d in the east will be made by seasons end as we continue to stay near the top of the division.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Meh there wasn't much compete in Gomez in our defensive end, could have drastically impacted a few games. Not saying he's the reason were doing so well but it's definitely helped that he's not here. Guys like Gallagher are fighting for every minute of icetime.
It doesn't help that he's not here. That doesn't mean his presence would have helped us either.
If Gallagher and Gally didn't look as good, and we had to call up guys like Palushaj or Engqvist again, then yea, we could have used Gomez.
You get my point?
Your team improves if the players replacing guys you let go are actually better.
But Gomez isn't to blame, and again, last year he played less than half the year.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:21 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Maybe we could ship Gionta and Weber for Clowe or Havlat. Gio's not impressed me whatsoever.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:24 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Maybe we could ship Gionta and Weber for Clowe or Havlat. Gio's not impressed me whatsoever.
Gionta plays against the top line of the opposing team and is really good defensively. That counts for a lot, especially as we are very stingy now 5-on-5.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:45 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Gionta plays against the top line of the opposing team and is really good defensively. That counts for a lot, especially as we are very stingy now 5-on-5.
That's not what he's paid for, nor how he's used. He's been mediocre at best since the first season here.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:29 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
That's not what he's paid for, nor how he's used. He's been mediocre at best since the first season here.
what's he getting paid for then? score goals? he's scored ~29 goals (prorated of course) each season he's been here

not sure what more you want from him?

you confuse me Whiskey...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:42 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
what's he getting paid for then? score goals? he's scored ~29 goals (prorated of course) each season he's been here

not sure what more you want from him?

you confuse me Whiskey...
It's the proration that frustrates me. Last season he was injury prone, he's TINY and he's been essentially invisible this year. 46pts in 80 games before last season ~0.5ppg. 15 points -7 last season (8g in 31 is 21 g/82gm btw) ~0.5ppg. This season 2g2a, ~0.5ppg.

He's a 0.5ppg, non-physical player and I'm really not impressed with him this season and I never liked his fit with the Habs or his contract. He's a Jacques Martin dump-and-change player and I guess he reminds of the darktimes.

I guess I want him to play better, to finish some more plays and make some - Pleks has a pretty simple game and I don't see them working well together unless Gionta makes some more plays and quits losing the puck mid-zone. 0.5ppg is not good enough.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:20 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Why does a large part of the forum assume Ryan Clowe is available? Did I miss a rumour?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
yes yes yes!!! Trade the captain, that should send a message to this team, they desperately need one.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Why does a large part of the forum assume Ryan Clowe is available? Did I miss a rumour?
He's not, just people speculating in the PGT about signing Clowe as an UFA during the summer.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
It's the proration that frustrates me. Last season he was injury prone, he's TINY and he's been essentially invisible this year. 46pts in 80 games before last season ~0.5ppg. 15 points -7 last season (8g in 31 is 21 g/82gm btw) ~0.5ppg. This season 2g2a, ~0.5ppg.

He's a 0.5ppg, non-physical player and I'm really not impressed with him this season and I never liked his fit with the Habs or his contract. He's a Jacques Martin dump-and-change player and I guess he reminds of the darktimes.

I guess I want him to play better, to finish some more plays and make some - Pleks has a pretty simple game and I don't see them working well together unless Gionta makes some more plays and quits losing the puck mid-zone. 0.5ppg is not good enough.
You are way too harsh. Everyone knows Gionta is overpaid and I don't see how you can blame someone for being small. Not much he can do about that.
I disagree about him not being physical. He's tiny as you said, it's not like he can knock down Chara. However, he never shies away, and goes in the tough zones. He's an aggressive forechecker, like Gallagher.

He hasn't been amazing so far, but he hasn't been bad either. You're not being very fair in your evaluation.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:14 AM
hockeyman*

I love our Jr. High Habs fan, but Mods please delete this rubbish.

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Gio is part of the reason the ship has been righted, he brings a lot off ice.

Plus on the ice he works his bag off and his line plays a lot of tough minutes so even if they don't score, they often help shutdown opposition lines.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:

Yet you want Havlat for him. 0.5 ppg also on an offensive team like SJ. You used the term injury prone to describe Gionta, but Havlat has always been injury prone. You also have to remember that compared to Gionta, Havlat is a soft perimeter player.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote