HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cammalleri/Bourque trade 1 year later

Old
02-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

vCash: 500
I totally forgot the 2nd that we got. What a steal. And if bourque keeps on performing like this we got a younger and better player that has size and drives the net. Things that Cammy did not have. Looming with a 6 Mill cap hit.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
We win because of the second round pick we got.
and the cap space

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:32 AM
David_99

What can we expect from Holland? AHL material or does anyone expect more? I don't follow the Dogs much.

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Maybe Bourque was on the tank. He wanted to play for a team that could draft that big #1 Center prospect... Mission accomplished, he started to play again.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:43 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
What can we expect from Holland? AHL material or does anyone expect more? I don't follow the Dogs much.
NHL potential.

maybe in 2-3 years.

danyhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Nedved

i'll admit I was wrong about the trade and bourque is playing great with pleks and gionta.

on top we received a 2nd (high 2nd by the looks of it) and a prospect in holland (who didn't look bad in hamilton).

still, cammy's playoff success was unreal a few years ago! everytime the puck was on his stick, it ended up in the back of the net.

I like that bourque's playing well for us, but do hope cammy turns it around.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:51 AM
MaxLacoste

I believe this 2nd round pick will land us Anthony Duclair. If it does, we won easily this trade.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
and holland...
Holland wont be an NHL player.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:03 AM
doc lafleur

Cammallerii + Ramo for Prust+ Bourque a 2nd and Holland

doc lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Brass

I still miss his one timer but yeah he became unidimensional

Cammy , thnks fr th mmrs

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Miller Time

It was an ok trade at the time, & while it looks much better today, in a month from now bourque & cammy could easily be at polar opposites of performance... Will we get another one if these threads then?

My issue at the time, which remains today, is that the rampant speculation/comments point to Gauthier not even shopping cammy around... That's just silly behavior by a GM, especially when the center piece he targeted is an inconsistent player signed very long term.

The 2nd is nice, and holland may turn into an asset we can use... But you have to wonder if a first wasn't there to be had if Gauthier had done his job properly

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Saundies

Bourque's really impressed me this year. Now that he wants to skate he's deceptively speedy. He's actually looking like a bonafide power forward out there.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Tim Wallach

I said the second that trade was made that I couldn't understand how anyone in their right mind thought it was lop-sided for Calgary. Regardless of what Bourque did, it was a good deal for Montreal. But that's not how the media told it.

It's only a story for CBC, TSN and Sportsnet if it reflects poorly on the Habs (see Subban, PK). So that's how they told it.

From my viewpoint (and it sure wasn't hindsight), the deal was a big coup for Montreal. Dumping our laziest, most ineffective, over-paid player for cap space, a viable big winger, a high pick and a prospect.

The only thing the media had right is that a team did get robbed in the deal.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:00 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

This is the case of the Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde trade.
Last season we got the crappy end of that deal, this season we got the best part of it. What a difference a new staff and a healthy player make

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Madevilz

Potential high second in a deep draft.
feelsgoodman

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:11 AM
ClasslessGuy

Still think Cammy would have a bigger impact in the lineup this season but we won that trade because of the big contract, holland and the 2nd

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:17 AM
FrankMTL

Cammalleri was driving me nuts last year. This guy just doesn't compete. Honnestly, even if he ends up with similar stats to Bourque, I just prefer the way Bourque plays. He's another big body with skill in our top 6 that goes to the dirty areas. We can never have enough of this sort of player. Also, if Bourque keeps playing like this, he's good value at 3.3 million per year.

That second round pick is like gravy. With this deep of a draft we can potentially get a very good prospect with that pick

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I won't lie, I hated the trade when it was made. I thought we were selling low on Cammalleri. I really was pissed that we never saw the Cammy - Pleks - Cole that was envisioned when we signed Cole (in part because RC was clueless, he was trying Gio with Pleks and Cammy right before the deal, a line destined to never work). I hated what I saw from Bourque in CGY in the weeks leading up to it and hated getting 4 years of him. Getting a 2nd meant little to me, I was convinced Gauthier was going to eventually trade it for one of his typical rental trades.

But right now, it looks damn good.

- Cammalleri looks to have declined big time. I've seen every CGY game so far and he's just not the same guy. As Et Le But wrote a few days ago, he's gone from being a major competitor, to being one of the softest players in the league. He's not the skater he was in 2009-10 after several knee/leg injuries and since he hurt his shoulder around 2 years ago in BUF his shot has also suffered. Not as powerful or as accurate.

- Bourque looks fantastic so far this season as he's healthy. Big, fast, heck of a shot, much better defensively.

- Making this trade last year pretty much got us Galchenyuk. That's how bad Bourque was last season for us. If we don't make that trade, we probably have the 7th pick. There was a 3 point gap between the Habs and Wild. Consider how many shootout losses we had, Cammalleri probably makes the difference in 2 or 3 of them. And probably wins us a game in regulation that was lost in regulation otherwise.

- The 2013 2nd round pick looks like a really good asset in a heck of a draft, a potential top 35 pick.

- Holland is a decent prospect. While I have my doubts he'll ever be a NHL regular, he should at least be a solid AHLer who helps the offence.

- It opened up cap space for this season and next season. You can argue it was used for Prust (ironically CGY was reportedly hard after him), but we are still around 4 M under the cap as of now.

- Ramo was never going to come over with Price here.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:25 AM
pezcore

I don't think PG was a genius, I just think he made a trade with an even worst GM in Feaster. I could understand Feaster to what to do the deal if it were Cammi for Bourque straight up but throwing in a 2nd rounder when you'vee be out of the playoffs since 08-09 is a dumb move.

What makes it even worst is that he trades down last draft and gets jankowski where they could have easily gotten him in the 2nd round.

Now that 2nd rounder looks even better with Calgary being dead last and NJ have to forfeit their 1sr round pick, it look like we will have the 30th pick overall.

pezcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
It was an ok trade at the time, & while it looks much better today, in a month from now bourque & cammy could easily be at polar opposites of performance... Will we get another one if these threads then?

My issue at the time, which remains today, is that the rampant speculation/comments point to Gauthier not even shopping cammy around... That's just silly behavior by a GM, especially when the center piece he targeted is an inconsistent player signed very long term.

The 2nd is nice, and holland may turn into an asset we can use... But you have to wonder if a first wasn't there to be had if Gauthier had done his job properly
This sums it up perfectly. As others have said, Cammalleri had lost his mojo and the trade was inevitable. But as he did before, Gauthier made a deal in a panic with half the GMs wondering why he didn't call them first. Bourque's been great so far this year, but you have to wonder what else we could've snagged had Gauthier been a better poker player.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Funny how no one's brought up the one aspect of the trade that i disliked.
Was it at all necessary to give away Karri Ramo?
At the time Price was on his bridge contract and there was no gaurantee
Ramo should've been kept instead of being a throw in.
Ramo had made it clear he was only coming over to be a #1 goalie in the NHL, which wasn't going to happen here, regardless of the ''no guarantee'' you speak of. He was also on the verge of being 26 years old and nearing UFA status even if he did return.

pezcore, NJ can wait until 2014 to forfeit their pick. They host this year's draft, so they'll most likely do that.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It's still probably too soon to tell. You're talking about two notoriously streaky players. Bourque could suddenly switch off tomorrow and Cammalleri could put up 10 goals in his next 10 games. So right now it seems to weigh in our favor in terms of how the main pieces are performing, but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Just last year it was looking like a disaster for us, and it'll probably swing back to that end of the spectrum before the dust settles on the deal.

The x-factors in the deal are also on our side for now (the cap space, Calgary's 2nd rounder shaping up to be a good pick, Holland looking decent in the AHL) but I don't think Ramo should be forgotten about. If he keeps playing overseas and steps in when Kipper retires (and plays well), then Calgary basically added a starting goalie from the deal, which swings things considerably. Not that Ramo would have ever started for us, but that's no cause to throw a player away.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
and holland...
Yep. I think his stock would be a lot higher if he was not injured in the WJC.

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Joe Cole

We have no idea about personality conflicts, so it is best to ignore that end of the table.

I thought it was good at the time because we needed size, cap relief, and Cammalleri needed a new address based on his body language.

Bourque came over and really did not impress. This year, we are seeing another side of him. It is doubtful that Bourque has turned himself around 100% and will remain consistent, but the benefits the Habs got are still the same.

More size, cap relief.

A team is a puzzle, and you cannot complete a puzzle with only small pieces, nor only large pieces. You need them all to fit together. That is what a GM does, builds a puzzle. Otherwise, any bozo could look at stats and height/weight charts and become a GM.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Really happy Bourque has found his game, wasn't easy last year after the trade. I knew from watching Flames games that he was capable of what he is doing now and something had to be bothering him

Hopefully that 2nd rounder ends up being high and we draft a hell of a player

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote