HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Top Five Crowds in the NHL?

Old
02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
FilthyNote*

vCash: 500
I am not really one to make a list of who is the loudest but I can say that people who say Vancover couldn't be right. That stadium is dead quiet a lot of times I have seen.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
I love being in that atmosphere. The 'silver medal' and 'Crosby's better' chants were also amazing.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 125
Toronto
Philly
Winnipeg
Boston
Montreal

Joe Sakic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:32 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
There's a reason every single player says they love playing in Montreal.

He's just mad. Very mad.
Cause they'll get eviscerated by the fans and media.

Not really sure why you guys are attacking me though. I've laid out my reasons pretty for why I don't consider Montreal one of the better crowds. Maybe you the mad ones

The Dangley One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:52 PM
19NYSports91

Winnipeg and it's not even close for me. When the Isles played them a couple of games ago, they made it sound like a playoff game. Pretty awesome fans.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:54 PM
JohnLennon

Upon reading this thread, the vast majority of posters seem to be saying

1. Montreal
2. Winnipeg

Then a mixture of Boston, Philly, Edmonton, Chicago, Toronto, etc.

I have to say I couldn't agree more. Hockey games in Montreal is really an amazing experience.

JohnLennon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
Cause they'll get eviscerated by the fans and media.

Not really sure why you guys are attacking me though. I've laid out my reasons pretty for why I don't consider Montreal one of the better crowds. Maybe you the mad ones
Your "reasons pretty" were that the crowd influences the refs into giving Montreal more powerplays (which statistically isn't true) and what again?

Montreal is without a shadow of a doubt one, if not the, best crowds. The fans know it, as evidenced by this thread. The analysts know it as evidenced by their constant admiration for the Montreal crowd and their passion, and the players know it first hand.

"Favorite Rink to Play In"—Montreal, Bell Centre, No. 1: The rabid atmosphere in Montreal's Bell Centre took top ranking for the players' favorite atmosphere

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/alls...nk-to-play-in/

It's not even close in the players eyes. 40% for the Bell Center, and the next closest is 9%.

Last edited by Dr Gonzo: 02-05-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
I vote the Pittsburgh Penguins as the worst crowd, by far.

There is no debating this, especially when you consider the on-ice product.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:55 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
1a MTL
1b WPG

Everyone else.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Matt19Oilers

I don't have a true opinion on this, probably because I think it is stupid to give an opinion without experiencing the atmosphere in every or at least many different arenas. To all the people that say ________ is the loudest "and it isn't even close"; have you been to any games besides at that one team's arena, because I know you haven't taken decibel readings from inside every arena in the nhl. This is just a bunch of posts that basically say "my team is the loudest because they're my favorite and I haven't been to any other arenas".

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Swarez

I have only been to a hand full of rinks but for me

1- MTL
2-Philly
3-Det

other places I have been that are meh

Toronto
Ottawa
Vancouver
Columbus (but it cost me $7)
Florida

I want to make it out to Winnipeg one time in next couple years on a saturday night.

My fav in crowd game- The big house.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:13 PM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

Detroit used to be better, but unfortunately due to the recession and everything we have a bunch of corporate seats. It causes for a less than pleasant experience nowadays. I remember being at the Joe during the 90s with my father, that place would ROCK. Then they brought in the flames for the few years within the early 2000's to near 2009. Nowadays theres empty seats because corporations don't even give out their tickets... and they refuse to sell them on stubhub. Bunch of plugs.

loLZokAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:27 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
I don't have a true opinion on this, probably because I think it is stupid to give an opinion without experiencing the atmosphere in every or at least many different arenas. To all the people that say ________ is the loudest "and it isn't even close"; have you been to any games besides at that one team's arena, because I know you haven't taken decibel readings from inside every arena in the nhl. This is just a bunch of posts that basically say "my team is the loudest because they're my favorite and I haven't been to any other arenas".
There is also the fact that ''loudness'' =/= atmosphere or good crowd. Then you have to factor in the building design and amplification when taking in a decibel read.

I think that ovations and the reaction to rather mundane events (puck going out of the zone by 1inch on a PK, winning an icing race, etc) are what makes the difference between crowds. Anyone can be loud, especially in the playoffs. What impresses me most are fans giving standing ovations for a 5 on 3 PK kill in the month of October. In some rinks, zone clears aren't even cheered for during a PK!

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Adriatic

Games in Montreal are truly an experience. Forget about who's loudest, it goes beyond just that in Montreal. Pre-game buzz in the city is always fun, then during the game it's all about cheering, booing, constantly singing..it's like a celebration of the game, it's not just about the scoreline. That's what most people don't get when they say that ole ole is annoying, it's not about the song it's about singing and celebrating a game. Crowd has such an impact on the game and refs it's crazy! When I compare it to other cities the one thing that stands out the most is the whole experience from beginning to end that's second to none.

If I compare it to Toronto for example, and I'm sure it's not always like that but I was shocked how empty lower bowl was at the start of the game and periods. Crowd was very quiet and gone before end of final whistle.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
I believe that's why it's called an opinion, not a fact.

Anyways, I'm a Penguins STH who has been to more than enough games at both Consol as well as other arenas to know that there's a huge difference. I love how it's solely blamed on the "suits". Are there no types of these people in the arenas that are being voted as having the best crowds; Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, etc?

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Your "reasons pretty" were that the crowd influences the refs into giving Montreal more powerplays (which statistically isn't true) and what again?

Montreal is without a shadow of a doubt one, if not the, best crowds. The fans know it, as evidenced by this thread. The analysts know it as evidenced by their constant admiration for the Montreal crowd and their passion, and the players know it first hand.

"Favorite Rink to Play In"—Montreal, Bell Centre, No. 1: The rabid atmosphere in Montreal's Bell Centre took top ranking for the players' favorite atmosphere

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/alls...nk-to-play-in/

It's not even close in the players eyes. 40% for the Bell Center, and the next closest is 9%.
"Which rink has the best ice?"

Edmonton: 37%

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
I believe that's why it's called an opinion, not a fact.

Anyways, I'm a Penguins STH who has been to more than enough games at both Consol as well as other arenas to know that there's a huge difference. I love how it's solely blamed on the "suits". Are there no types of these people in the arenas that are being voted as having the best crowds; Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, etc?
Well sure it's an opinion, but there isn't much background to it for most people, having only been to one arena. So of course it's your opinion, but for most people it would be speculating on the atmosphere in the arena, not actually having been there.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote