HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Darcy?

Old
02-05-2013, 08:52 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I like what his scouting department has done over the last four-five years. That said, scouts often transcend the longevity of the man at the top of the department. I'm not advocating throwing out the entire hockey department staff, but making a change at the top specifically both at GM and behind the bench.
+1

The Sabres will remain on this treadmill of mediocrity until those changes are made.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
A bump for this article from LeBrun with available or soon-to-be-available GMs:

Quote:
1. Jim Nill, Detroit Red Wings: Now in his 15th season as assistant GM in Detroit, he's been GM material for a long time. And it just so happens that his contract will soon begin to present itself with annual six-week "out windows" when he can entertain GM offers from other teams, a source told ESPN.com. The first window comes this summer. With five Stanley Cup rings and a long list of late-draft gems on his resume, Nill is a top-notch candidate in waiting. It would have to be the right fit for him to leave Detroit, where he's happy and loyal to the Illitch family, but it's a possibility. You can't go wrong if you name Nill as your GM. He'd be a superstar hire.

2. Ron Hextall, Los Angeles Kings: Hextall, 48, is in his seventh season as vice president/assistant GM of the Kings. As Dean Lombardi's right-hand man during that span, he was instrumental in the patient building of a Stanley Cup winner. He's overseen the franchise's top prospects during his time in L.A. and that's an impressive body of work. He's had his hands in all facets of the operations alongside Lombardi. And I think he's ready for the next step in his career. For a team that wants a throw-back mentality with modern know-how, Hextall is the man.

4. Paul Fenton, Nashville Predators: A Day-Oner with the Preds' franchise, Fenton was director of player personnel for the first eight years before being elevated to assistant GM in June 2006. Nashville GM David Poile has told me several times over the past few years that he believes Fenton has what it takes to be a good GM, and I wholeheartedly concur. Let's face it: Fenton has been front and center in the organization's drafting and developing of players, and if there's a team that relies heavily on developing its own talent, it's the Predators, who haven't had the luxury to spend like the big boys. They do things the right way and they don't rush talent. Fenton, 53, clearly has an eye for identifying and developing talent, and he'd make a fine GM.

Other assistant GMs I believe are ready to be GMs: Julien Brisebois, Tampa Bay; Jim Benning, Boston; Jeff Gorton, N.Y. Rangers; Brad Treliving, Phoenix; Frank Provenzano, Dallas; Jason Botterill, Pittsburgh; David McNabb, Anaheim.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...take-next-step

Gorton is a guy I think is underrated. He served as Boston's interim GM between O'Connell and Chiarelli, and was the architect of the Rask-for-Raycroft heist. Also, he did the 2006 draft for the Bruins (Chia not hired until 7/15/06), which netted the Bruins Phil Kessel (5), Milan Lucic (50) and Brad Marchand (71). That's tremendous considering that draft was a real turd sandwich (think Dennis Persson).

Botterill would probably get looked at, as well, due to his Penguins connections. He also used to be an Amerk/Sabre for a short stint. I wonder how well Black knows him from the Pens organization.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
sabresandcanucks

Agree with many of you...

The things Regier and his team did well prior to Pegula's arrival are still his strengths...mainly drafting. He has failed precisely where he has had little experience until Terry arrived...Throwing around big contracts to guys who look good on paper without considering how these players are going to mold together and play as a team. Or offering big money contracts to guys like Myers just because he could as opposed to being patient and locking him down to a 2 or 3 year deal.

Not sure if this is Ruff or Regier or both...but I also think Regier has overestimated the development of his younger talent, which has led him to not fill some glaring holes on the Sabres roster. This in turn has forced Ruff to play players in situations/positions that they are not ready for.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Ace1963

How many decades are needed to prove that Regier can not build the type of the team Buffalo likes?

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
A bump for this article from LeBrun with available or soon-to-be-available GMs:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...take-next-step

Gorton is a guy I think is underrated. He served as Boston's interim GM between O'Connell and Chiarelli, and was the architect of the Rask-for-Raycroft heist. Also, he did the 2006 draft for the Bruins (Chia not hired until 7/15/06), which netted the Bruins Phil Kessel (5), Milan Lucic (50) and Brad Marchand (71). That's tremendous considering that draft was a real turd sandwich (think Dennis Persson).

Botterill would probably get looked at, as well, due to his Penguins connections. He also used to be an Amerk/Sabre for a short stint. I wonder how well Black knows him from the Pens organization.
I'm not as overly concerned with replacing Regier as I am replacing Ruff, but there's a few names on that list I'd love to have.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:03 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
I don't know how Regier gets a pass from anyone. He IS the architect of this team.

I've heard we have all this great, young, talent. Oh really? Where? And what makes our prospects better than anyone elses?

Regier has a certain way he wants to build a team and it has shown, time and time again, his way DOES NOT WORK!

His best success was because he inheirited Dom Hasek and then he caught lightning in a bottle when the NHL made the rule changes they did after the lockout years ago.

He should have been fired a long time ago but, instead, he gets long-term contract extensions.

Please cut this guy loose

5 Minute Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:17 PM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I don't know how Regier gets a pass from anyone. He IS the architect of this team.

I've heard we have all this great, young, talent. Oh really? Where? And what makes our prospects better than anyone elses?

Regier has a certain way he wants to build a team and it has shown, time and time again, his way DOES NOT WORK!

His best success was because he inheirited Dom Hasek and then he caught lightning in a bottle when the NHL made the rule changes they did after the lockout years ago.

He should have been fired a long time ago but, instead, he gets long-term contract extensions.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

WoahBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:17 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:

Exactly, every team around the league has great young talent. We may not even be a top 10 prospect pool.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:20 PM
AlamoSabre

I reached my limit with Darcy about 5 years ago.

AlamoSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Pechorin

Go get Brian Burke. Let him make us more pugnacious.

Pechorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pechorin View Post
Go get Brian Burke. Let him make us more pugnacious.
Liked Burke in Anaheim, but I thought he made some odd choices in Toronto. He is aggressive, though, and this team could use aggression.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Pechorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Liked Burke in Anaheim, but I thought he made some odd choices in Toronto. He is aggressive, though, and this team could use aggression.
The Toronto team he built is infinitely more interesting to watch than what we've been subjected to for the majority of the last two seasons. I agree his Toronto tenure may have dimmed his glow somewhat but he's the antithesis of Regeir and holy hell could we use that.

Pechorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:47 PM
rabi

it's rumored a team recently asked Toronto for permission to speak with him for a role other than GM....

Wouldn't it be great if he was brought aboard to be a consultant and then took over for Darcy in the summer?

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
it's rumored a team recently asked Toronto for permission to speak with him for a role other than GM....

Wouldn't it be great if he was brought aboard to be a consultant and then took over for Darcy in the summer?
Too good to be true. Right?

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

He was criticized a ton in Toronto, but I can respect a GM that is willing to trade picks for an already proven young NHL player and take some risks to win. Burkie is the guy that makes a move for O'Reilly.

Let's not forget how in shambles that Toronto team was when he took over as GM too, all I remember from that team was their best players being Jason Blake, Ponikarovsky, and a declining Thomas Kaberle.

I'd be just fine with Burke.

Last edited by Fire Lindy: 02-19-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:25 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:

Great Post

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:28 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I'd be interested to see what Brian Burke could do here and with Pegula.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Zip15

I'm all for firing both Regier and Ruff, but we're really putting the bloom back on the Brian Burke rose already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pechorin View Post
The Toronto team he built is infinitely more interesting to watch than what we've been subjected to for the majority of the last two seasons. I agree his Toronto tenure may have dimmed his glow somewhat but he's the antithesis of Regeir and holy hell could we use that.
We shouldn't be looking for "the antithesis of Regier." We should be looking for the best GM available. Whether that's Jim Nill, Ron Hextall, or whomever, we shouldn't just be targeting a guy who is perceived to be aggressive. Regier has been "aggressive" in several regards since Pegula has taken over, for better (Ehrhoff, Hodgson) or worse (Leino, Roy for a 3rd liner and cap dump). That hasn't gotten us very far, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Don't sugarcoat it: he made one catastrophically bad trade, and it set the organization way back. Imagine if that club had Seguin and Hamilton instead of a streaky winger largely dependent on others to create offense for him. That lineup would be scary going forward.

To his credit, he won some trades. Though Phaneuf is a bit overrated, he won that trade big time--in fairness, Darcy has also proved he can fleece Jay Feaster. The Gardiner/Lupul for Beauchemin trade was probably his master stroke in Toronto. And he covered his mistake of drafting Schenn 5th by getting JVR for him.

I've also been less than impressed with his drafts. Overall, I'd probably give his tenure in Toronto a C-. The team only turned itself around when they buried some of his huge mistakes (Komisarek, Connolly) and allowed better, younger players into the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foligno and Barnes View Post
He was criticized a ton in Toronto, but I can respect a GM that is willing to trade picks for an already proven young NHL player and take some risks to win. Burkie is the guy that makes a move for O'Reilly.
And Regier is the guy who pried Hodgson out of Vancouver. I'm sure we could cite a big move for a young player for 2/3 of the GMs going. Also, let's not mistake effort with achievement. Just because he took a risk, he shouldn't be applauded for that Kessel trade. He set the organization back by doing that. If I make a risky investment that sets back my wife's and my retirements, she's not going to applaud me for taking the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foligno and Barnes View Post
Let's not forget how in shambles that Toronto team was when he took over as GM too, all I remember from that team was their best players being Jason Blake, Ponikarovsky, and a declining Thomas Kaberle.

I'd be just fine with Burke.
Plenty of teams are able to make quick turnarounds through savvy free agent signings and good drafting. Burke had four years to turn that team around, and he couldn't make the playoffs once--and despite all the praise they're getting this year, they're still a fringe playoff team in the conference.

Are they in a better spot now than they were four years ago because of Burke? I guess, but given that they could have Dougie Hamilton and Seguin on their roster right now, I can see the argument to the contrary. Do I think it'd be any consolation to Sabres fans if Burke took over next week and we missed the playoffs for four straight years but our roster is arguably in a better place than it is now? Hell no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
I'd be interested to see what Brian Burke could do here and with Pegula.
He had the full financial backing of MLSE. It'd be no different here than it was in Toronto.

I don't want anyone to construe this post as me advocating for keeping Regier. I want both R&R out. But Burke didn't do that well in Toronto. I'd rather have someone else.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:12 AM
baeng

Send a message via Skype™ to baeng
He should've been fired years ago.... and still do.

baeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Nill has always been a favorite. Hextall is damned intriguing. LA's built (and coached) for aggression. Burke? No. No way.

02-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Nill has always been a favorite. Hextall is damned intriguing. LA's built (and coached) for aggression. Burke? No. No way.
Thank you. I do not want the Burke Train to leave the station. Just no. Look elsewhere.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Thank you. I do not want the Burke Train to leave the station. Just no. Look elsewhere.
I look at how badly he built in Toronto, look at the situation in Buffalo (similar, need for an injection of talent) and shudder.

There are other GM's out there who prefer up-tempo skating, aggressive teams which stylistically would be something Sabre fans would embrace.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:17 AM
baeng

Send a message via Skype™ to baeng
Do we seriously even need to duscuss Burke? No...

baeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:

Great post. I was thinking the same exact thing this morning with your statement you said : I've heard we have all this great, young, talent. Oh really? Where? And what makes our prospects better than anyone elses? What the hell is going on?

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:41 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Those are two guys that would be on my short list....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote