HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Stubbs calls PJ Stock a "sensational[ist], irresponsible" liar for PK comments

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Paul Dipietro

vCash: 500
So let me get this straight. Are we mad at PJ because

A: He exaggerated

B: He's completely wrong (and how dare he suggest that some players have a problem with PK!)

C: He's a Bruins fan

Old
02-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post

B: He's completely wrong (and how dare he suggest that some players have a problem with PK!)

He's unprofessional and bush league.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:17 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:

D: He's an untalented ham.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:19 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Wow we're so brainwashed. After players rejected CBAs to save a nickel on the dollar subban signs under value and the team hates him? What a load of crap. It doesn't even make sense. Besides all we saw was players say they don't wanna talk about it and they're right. Subban didn't sign yet, why talk about it endlessly?

Pj got very defensive there. I think he got called on his ********.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Swarez

Just the way the evidence is presented you have to back Stubbs. Stock says people hate PK because I say so, Stubbs went into details of how PK acts on game days, and actual antidotes of PK with his team.

I am not saying PK is loved by everyone, I am sure there is some annoyance with him and the amount of media he gets, but Stock just isn't professional and that is reason most don't really listen when he talks.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Wow we're so brainwashed. After players rejected CBAs to save a nickel on the dollar subban signs under value and the team hates him? What a load of crap. It doesn't even make sense. Besides all we saw was players say they don't wanna talk about it and they're right. Subban didn't sign yet, why talk about it endlessly?

Pj got very defensive there. I think he got called on his ********.
Agreed. If he had facts he would have alluded to them. Instead he lashes out like the 5 year he's always been. He's ll be scrambling for dirt now like mike duffy scrambling for a PEI health card!

Fire this clown, CBC, before he ends up defaming someone with money bags big enough to really hurt you in court...

Old
02-05-2013, 09:26 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Stock does have a point in that Stubbs is essentially a mouthpiece for the Canadiens organization, and all of his articles have that same aura of "everything is fine, nothing to see here"...but he undermines his own credibility by resorting to childish insults. If you're confident that your story and your sources are the truth, it shouldn't matter what other people have to say about you.

There's probably a little bit of truth from both sides (which Stubbs alludes to when he says that more than one Hab would probably like it if Subban toned it down a bit) but I have to believe reality is far more slanted toward Stubbs' side than not. This is just another in a long list of things Stock is jumping on to knock down the Habs or their players.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:31 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

I tend to believe Stubbs over anyone else when it comes to the Habs.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:32 AM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Stock does have a point in that Stubbs is essentially a mouthpiece for the Canadiens organization, and all of his articles have that same aura of "everything is fine, nothing to see here"...but he undermines his own credibility by resorting to childish insults. If you're confident that your story and your sources are the truth, it shouldn't matter what other people have to say about you.
I think that's true for most of what Stubbs writes -- and that's his role with the Gazette -- but this particular piece is different. It was a rebuttal, and he even acknowledged that strife likely exists and contextualizes why it might exist and even be normal in this business. But at least he laid down facts.

Given the nature of the rebuttal, the onus is on Stock to separate people from their positions and not commit a logical fallacy by attacking Stubbs personally. He didn't, and took the low road to boot.

What Dave usually writes is not the issue. What he wrote here was the issue, and one that Stock and his (few) supporters are merrily dancing around. Lay down some facts, and give back some of the respect you were given, especially since you're just running rumors until you do that.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Joe Cole

You know, I think it was Benoit Brunet that said something I am agreeing with and more.... "The leadership of the team has to handle this in the dressing room. No leaks about infighting, infact no infighting. Settle that stuff. The team comes before PK, but also before any other player's opinion."

Old
02-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Drive425

Stock was a bench warmer when he "played" hockey and was a clown on the ice. Don't know who owes him a favour at HNIC but it's time he retired from the HNIC panel. Having a personal agenda against a team or individual should get you fired from a national broadcast.

Maybe he wants to be the next Don Cherry?

Old
02-05-2013, 09:40 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
I think that's true for most of what Stubbs writes -- and that's his role with the Gazette -- but this particular piece is different. It was a rebuttal, and he even acknowledged that strife likely exists and contextualizes why it might exist and even be normal in this business. But at least he laid down facts.

Given the nature of the rebuttal, the onus is on Stock to separate people from their positions and not commit a logical fallacy by attacking Stubbs personally. He didn't, and took the low road to boot.

What Dave usually writes is not the issue. What he wrote here was the issue, and one that Stock and his (few) supporters are merrily dancing around. Lay down some facts, and give back some of the respect you were given, especially since you're just running rumors until you do that.
In a sense, yes, but what Stock is saying is that, given Stubbs' history of "protecting" the Canadiens in his articles, it's not a surprise that he would be jumping to their defense in this instance as well. I don't think you can completely ignore the pattern of Stubbs' previous articles - it may not be the whole thing, but does have relevance.

But as you said, the proof is in the pudding. Stubbs' details dinners and events with teammates that Subban is attending as his proof, while Stock is resorting to pure conjecture with crap like "he's wearing a hoodie and listening to an iPod".

Old
02-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Well my issue is, if you're gonna make a blatant and inflammatory statement like "No one on the team likes PK"

Then you better be able to substantiate it...that goes beyond the usual "Subban has attitude" issues.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
You know, I think it was Benoit Brunet that said something I am agreeing with and more.... "The leadership of the team has to handle this in the dressing room. No leaks about infighting, infact no infighting. Settle that stuff. The team comes before PK, but also before any other player's opinion."
What if there are no leaks, and PJ Stock is just taking a leap based on comments by Markov and Gorges who were clearly annoyed with being ASKED about PK, not at PK himself?

I just love how, before he was signed, media were going on about how amazing PK was and the Habs need to sign him. Now he's signed and suddenly he's a cancer... Funny.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Georges Laraque.
That guy is like the pope, straight as a judge.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Ouf. I dunno which I dislike more. All things considered, **** Stubbs, he was a big a rat last year as PJ has been this year.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Captain Saku

Even if PJ Stock was right, as Stubbs said it's completely irresponsible and stupid to say this publicly.

Old
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
People with an IQ above 90 still watch CBC sports coverage?

I took a deep breath when Cherry made unfounded comments and started the smear campaign. When Milbury went off half-cocked, and called him what a 'slime bag' or something on national tv I left. CBC won't earn another advertising dollar from me.

I won't be back until the culture changes, or should I say lack of.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I have said it before and saying it again, the whole "PK is not liked" thing is way overblown. I heard from good sources that at times he rubbed teammates the wrong way because of the persona he takes on with fans and media, but the biggest issue is the team was losing so everybody was hyper sensitive. Basically the type of stuff perople "didn't like" but nothing to the point of wanting a guy traded or hating him. More big brother little brother type stuff, stuff that's a non factor if the team wins.

In the big picture this team has a strong leadership group, plus the GM and coach have emphasised a "team first" attitude, even to the point of overemphasis to get the team back on the rails, the timing of this is perfect to get PK toned down a bit. I think they have to be careful though, not to sap the passion and emotion from him.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

There's probably a little bit of truth from both sides (which Stubbs alludes to when he says that more than one Hab would probably like it if Subban toned it down a bit) but I have to believe reality is far more slanted toward Stubbs' side than not. This is just another in a long list of things Stock is jumping on to knock down the Habs or their players.
Well Stock said "every single one of those guys doesn't like him"... I don't think that's true and I think Stubbs was right to call him on it. Stock has been stirring up **** here for a while and it's nice to see him get called on it. And his reaction just proves that he has no understanding of how a professional is supposed to act.

Really glad to see him get called out and doubly glad that he responded the way he did so we can all see hm for what he is... a hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
For all the talk about Markov and Gorges being great leaders, they sure didn't show it here. All they had to say was "glad he's back" and this would've gone away. Even if there is a riff between them and PK they shouldn't have created this story.

A leader should know better.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
What if there are no leaks, and PJ Stock is just taking a leap based on comments by Markov and Gorges who were clearly annoyed with being ASKED about PK, not at PK himself?
I agree, Markov, Gorges, even Gionta's comments about Subban were weak sauce.

That is what should be fixed between the players.

A leader in the team could say to all his team mates, "PK is an important part of this team. If your feelings are hurt by his smile, get over yourself, this is a team, we are better with him here. Show solidarity to everyone outside the room, and especially within the room."

Old
02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
@Dave_Stubbs: Column: Stock's misguided #HNIC take on #Habs @PKSubban1 was sensational, irresponsible and entirely wrong.

Stubbs:

Stock, in typical d-bag fashion:
Stubbs = Class
Stock = Grunting idiot

Even Stocks twitter comments make no sense. Does anyone think he went around the room with ballots of Pk, "like" or "don't like."

Truth is PJ isn't nearly as liked or respected in the Habs room as Stubbs is. Who do you think the players confide in? When Patches told Stubbs he was coming back on Sunday but not to tell anyone, think that Stubbs isn't trusted in that room. Habs players tell Stubbs all kinds of things off the record and trust him enough to not worry. Think they feel the same for a guy like PJ who's blowing off on Hockey Night in Canada? I don't think so.

I love his latest twitter comments because they make him seem even more like an idiot than before.

In the forum of public opinion, Stubbs reigns supreme!

Old
02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

there's a refusal to accept that pk might be a problem on these boards that i just can't understand

Old
02-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
there's a refusal to accept that pk might be a problem on these boards that i just can't understand
If someone presents proof besides hearsay then maybe I might believe it.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

PJ is a dirtbag habs hater and Stubbs is just a homer. Truth is PK isn't perfect but heck he looks just darn fine right now. Therrien will make this works perfectly and I'm happy from what I've seen this weekend.

Closed Thread