HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 05:56 PM
displacedpensfan

vCash: 500
Okay, a few questions from a sympathetic out of towner (I realize that at one point Pittsburgh was seen as a new frontier for the NHL and we eventually made it work).

1) Might the Coyotes be better off crawling back to the US Airways Center despite it's lousy configuration for hockey? As a really crazy idea, what about playing in both buildings? Jobing on the weekends and US Airways Center on weeknights?

2) Have there been any rumblings that the Suns want a new barn in the near-ish future that the Coyotes could tag along on? Would a central, downtown location solve most of the Coyotes problems anyways?

3) How much did the '08 financial crisis put a crimp in things in the West Valley? Someone once mentioned to me that although Jobing/Westlake looks like an idiotic move now, back when things were going good, it made some sort of sense. How is the local economy doing now?

Old
02-04-2013, 06:05 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedpensfan View Post
Okay, a few questions from a sympathetic out of towner (I realize that at one point Pittsburgh was seen as a new frontier for the NHL and we eventually made it work).

1) Might the Coyotes be better off crawling back to the US Airways Center despite it's lousy configuration for hockey? As a really crazy idea, what about playing in both buildings? Jobing on the weekends and US Airways Center on weeknights?

2) Have there been any rumblings that the Suns want a new barn in the near-ish future that the Coyotes could tag along on? Would a central, downtown location solve most of the Coyotes problems anyways?

3) How much did the '08 financial crisis put a crimp in things in the West Valley? Someone once mentioned to me that although Jobing/Westlake looks like an idiotic move now, back when things were going good, it made some sort of sense. How is the local economy doing now?
1- Not happening. There's not much of an incentive for a new owner to deal with the reduced ticket prices required by US Airways Center's hockey seating problems.

2- Not that I know of. Yes, would solve lots of problems. No, it's not happening.

3- The '08 crisis showed that Glendale ever becoming a a "Big City" was a pipe dream. It won't happen. Not in my lifetime. The heart of the Phoenix metro is in the Tempe - Scottsdale - Downtown Phoenix triangle. There's no reason to spend a bunch of taxpayer money trying to artificially create our own mini-Anaheim. Glendale is like Mesa: one giant middle-class suburb. Nothing to do, nothing to see, cheap single family homes for everybody.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:06 PM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
You're 100% correct. Unfortunately, there is realistically a 1% chance of the team finding legitimate new ownership and staying in the valley.

What does add up is three years of playoff appearances, the last of which sees the boys go all the way to the conferance finals and the attendeance still adding up to ZILCH. The idiots of the valley have spoken and they can't seem to support the greatest game on earth.

Fortunately 1% is still a chance, however remote.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
"@rocandmanuch: Bummer, well actually weak: No comment on Coyotes ownership situation: Bill Gallacher. If he wants to succeed. Introduce yourself to AZ."

Old
02-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedpensfan View Post

If the Islanders are going to move into a new arena with less seating for hockey than US Airways Center/Jobing.com Arena and limited view seats just like at US Airways, then I would say they are better off moving back downtown if the team can get the right lease agreement.

Quote:
The Suns can still play in downtown for at least another 20 years before moving or needed more serious renovations on top of the renovations the arena got a few years ago. If the Coyotes do play in a another brand new arena somewhere in the valley, IMO that will be an expansion team to replace the team that is more than likely to move at this point.

Quote:
The state as a whole took a hit but is recovering better than a few other states like California.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Haha, there is definitely a Bon Jovi concert on the calendar. The other events are two Taylor Swift concerts, a show by The Who, and a 5-day high school basketball tourney.

Other potential ownership names I've seen floating around, in addition to the ones already mentioned in this thread, includes the second coming of Matt Hulsizer as well as Oren Koules.
It's hard to believe Hulsizer's situation has improved after flaming out on the Yotes and Blues the way he did.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:56 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Mayor Weirers on Horizon tonight talking about this:

My take, this guy only cares about making a name for himself, he wants to rescue this thing. He mentions two buyers. He aluded to GJ maybe not wanting to partner with one of these new buyers. Mayor has, "new options." He talked with the commish yesterday and they both seemed receptive.

He wants to open up negotiations to multi buyers.

He doesn't want to cut fire & poliece and the perception of giving $$ to hockey and cut services. I read that he wants more of a back loaded deal that gives the city less upfront expenses in exchange for outliers.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The popular thought is that he was a major part of Jamison's bid. If he wasn't, he didn't really have an avenue of approach until Jamison's group flamed out. GJ also did a lot of the grunt work in getting the sales tax initiative and the lease negotiated. It's also possible that the NHL went back to their Rolodex of potential owners and pulled him out. Too early to tell if it's genuine or a smokescreen.
but look what the NHL has floated: Reinsdorf and three guys with no money. I'd have to believe that Gallacher, with his legitimate billions of dollars and passion for the sport, would not only be way ahead of the likes of Hulsizer on that Rolodex but would also have been able to get a lease that was to his liking.

I think it'd be rad if he were real but it seems to me that even if he is, his late appearance in this saga is really odd.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:21 AM
OOEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Other potential ownership names I've seen floating around, in addition to the ones already mentioned in this thread, includes the second coming of Matt Hulsizer as well as Oren Koules.
Soooooooooooo is that why Miles was at our rookie camp? A favor to his old man so he'd eventually save us?

Old
02-05-2013, 09:03 AM
sting13

Has Glendale every tried to get the Suns to move to Jobing Arena with incentives
like the Coyotes perspective owners have been offered or are the Suns tied in
to a long lease?

Old
02-05-2013, 09:21 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
Has Glendale every tried to get the Suns to move to Jobing Arena with incentives
like the Coyotes perspective owners have been offered or are the Suns tied in
to a long lease?
No, Sarver owns land around the arena downtown. He isnt moving. Besides if they cant afford whats needed to keep the Coyotes then how on earth are they going to lure the Suns?

Old
02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
mull this one over for me, guys... Gallacher has been working toward getting a team for the past two years. Why is he just now getting into the Coyotes game? The asking price is $50 million below what he bid for the Stars and probably the Devils as well and the subsidy from Glendale made the team a lot more appealing than either of those. Am I right in thinking something doesn't totally add up here?
The bid wasn't just for the Stars but also included a 1/2 share of The American Airlines Center arena ownership as well.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...lls-creditors/

His valuation of the Dallas franchise itself (separate from the arena) was likely well below the Coyotes' asking price; that explains his absence from trying to buy the Coyotes until now, price, meaning there were cheaper options available elsewhere previously.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:51 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp View Post

My thought EXACTLY!

Old
02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

His valuation of the Dallas franchise itself (separate from the arena) was likely well below the Coyotes' asking price; that explains his absence from trying to buy the Coyotes until now, price, meaning there were cheaper options available elsewhere previously.
The nuclear option here is for the NHL to drop the price. That changes the game, so to speak. It's entirely possible that they've done these charades in an attempt to install a new owner who has subsidies to offset the artificially high asking price just so they can avoid taking such a hit. They may very well get tired of this and cut the price. Or they can just wheel the team off to QC and wash their hands of the situation, recouping all money and then some in the process.

We will find out how much the NHL really likes Phoenix and public financing in the next few months.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

That image really sums up us fans quite well.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The nuclear option here is for the NHL to drop the price. That changes the game, so to speak. It's entirely possible that they've done these charades in an attempt to install a new owner who has subsidies to offset the artificially high asking price just so they can avoid taking such a hit. They may very well get tired of this and cut the price. Or they can just wheel the team off to QC and wash their hands of the situation, recouping all money and then some in the process.

We will find out how much the NHL really likes Phoenix and public financing in the next few months.
Amid all the noise on all sides, this tiny little post is probably as close to the truth of the matter as we are going to find.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Either I made it up or read a rumor some place that initially Glendale will ask for a high price to purchase the arena but may slowly come down. So that may be a way to give a subsidy to a new owner but it would be a long negotiation. The reward for Glendale is to get out of the arena business.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:14 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Amid all the noise on all sides, this tiny little post is probably as close to the truth of the matter as we are going to find.
If I had to bet money on this, I'd say that Bettman is pegged at 170m by owner mandate. The NHL is a lot of things, but they aren't stupid or incompetent. If a lower price was an option, they'd have likely already attempted it. They aren't keeping the Coyotes on the books for ***** and giggles, after all. They want that 170m. If it means doing the dance for subsidies, so be it. But that window looks like it is shut. I'd say our fate has already been decided by BOG vote on whether or not to cave on the 170m price. Realistically, the NHL can recoup that hit instantly by issuing two new teams and possibly a third a few years later. But this is not a charity and if there's one thing you can count on, it's that the owners will try to get as much money as possible.

It could be that if they are going to cut the price, they want the best possible owner they can find. Gallacher is very likely that guy. He is hockey crazy, with money, and has no affinity for any given cities. He just wants to be part of the club. It is entirely possible that he started out as part of GJ group, but when it became clear he had to put more in the pot, he demanded a controlling share. GJ balked at this, so the NHL yanked Gallacher out of the deal with promises they'd see where the city stands and if they can give him a sweet deal. GJ himself is a close ally of the league, so Gallacher being a part of his bid wouldn't really shock me. Nobody, including the mayor, missed a single damn beat when this all unfolded and there was chatter of a 'backdoor' deal that sunk GJ's bid. All things considered, that's pretty odd, given that we all know the stakes.

Or I could be seeing what I want to see, and this Gallacher is really just a weighty name floated to give false hope. I don't like our odds, but they are better than when we first heard GJ's bid was in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Either I made it up or read a rumor some place that initially Glendale will ask for a high price to purchase the arena but may slowly come down. So that may be a way to give a subsidy to a new owner but it would be a long negotiation. The reward for Glendale is to get out of the arena business.
If the NHL cut the price, buying the arena is an option if you can front the money. Anyone know what it's worth right about now?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:23 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

When it comes to this whole mess, GJ's financing, price of the arena, any backdoor deals that might be going on...the only thing certain is we don't know the whole story. It would be interesting to know the truth but all I care about is having an owner here in AZ for at lest a few years to see what we can do on an even playing field both as a team on the ice and a business in the community.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:41 AM
letsgoavs1921

My brother sat behind Joyce Clark at the game last night and asked her what really happened. Who knows if this is true, but she said on Tuesday of last week Jamison had everything lined up and ready to go and Gallacher decided all of a sudden since he was the biggest investor he wanted to have more control. Jamison said that wouldn't work and from there the entire thing blew up. So now Gallacher is trying to buy the team (as is Jamison).

Old
02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoavs1921 View Post
My brother sat behind Joyce Clark at the game last night and asked her what really happened. Who knows if this is true, but she said on Tuesday of last week Jamison had everything lined up and ready to go and Gallacher decided all of a sudden since he was the biggest investor he wanted to have more control. Jamison said that wouldn't work and from there the entire thing blew up. So now Gallacher is trying to buy the team (as is Jamison).
Constant with what I have heard but the spin is interesting. I heard the NHL is blaming Jamison in wanting control and Jamison is blaming the NHL in wanting to prevent the majority interest. So who should get the blame? Jamison in refusing Gallacher's request for more control or the NHL for wanting to prevent someone with controlling interest; or Gallacher for wanting the whole thing?

Who do you think messed it up?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:

Who do you think messed it up?
Everyone, for not anticipating this or hashing it out ahead of time. Reeks of the situation that occurred in Tampa. Gallacher wants the satisfaction of controlling and owning a team. That's partly why he didn't help out with the Devils at all. I'm not sure how that got by the NHL. Or it could have been the plan all along, with GJ unaware.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:16 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken (pretty damn sure I'm not) a sale of the arena would need to go out to bid.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
May or may not be true, but one thing is certain: THAT would have been incredibley stupid when one considers the lease agreement that was in place.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:17 PM
cobra427

Quote:
I can completely see this happening. Guys like Gallacher are control guys. I could see him saying, that this will need more money, if it does, they come to me, I have to pony up, but I don't have control. If he has to keep feeding it eventually he becomes really pregnant, so he wants control. I still think the COG has kind of set the bar, I doubt the subsidy changes much other then a shorter lease. I also think the NHL could lower the price now, if they have an owner with deep pockets, as they would then know that the coyotes will never be their financial problem again.That could sway the BOG with another deep pocketed member in the good old boys club, to lower the price a little.

Closed Thread