HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
[QUOTE]Originally Posted by aresknights
Habs make it official.
Not that it's a surprise but Galy to stick with the Habs. Tweeted by loosepucks.

Quote:
Didn't think there was much chance he'd be sent back.[/
QUOTE]

Hes ready for sure. Still lots to learn but hes better suited to play up there now and develop.
As a Hab fan I really liked the pick.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Sucks bigtime for Sarnia to lose two dynamic underage young players in one year but not really unexpected!
I agree,and with Murphy out for the season,any luck has been bad for the Sting
Re 2 underagers the same thing happened to the Spits after they had won the 2 mem cups,Hall and Fowler graduated early,during the summer Spits traded Cantin and Shugg,figuring to go on rebuild,instead they finished in the final 4 before losing to Owen Sd
Anything could happen,but the Sting are in tough thats for sure

Old
01-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I agree,and with Murphy out for the season,any luck has been bad for the Sting
Re 2 underagers the same thing happened to the Spits after they had won the 2 mem cups,Hall and Fowler graduated early,during the summer Spits traded Cantin and Shugg,figuring to go on rebuild,instead they finished in the final 4 before losing to Owen Sd
Anything could happen,but the Sting are in tough thats for sure
Samething with the Rangers...Skinner and Morin then the following year with Landeskog (Skinner's 19th year). It's hard to build a top team when your best players are gone after 2 years.
It sucks for the OHL teams but at least the hometown fans get to see those players for a cpl years but it's always...what could've been!
Harder for Sarnia than Kitchener, Windsor and London due to their Memorial Cup wins and appearances the last 10 years +/-.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Sting Fire

The Sting will officially announce the new Captain of the Hockey Club on Tuesday.

My support goes to Charlie Sarault.
What do others think!

Old
01-29-2013, 07:44 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Fire View Post
The Sting will officially announce the new Captain of the Hockey Club on Tuesday.

My support goes to Charlie Sarault.
What do others think!
Totally Charles. Was the team leader IMO from Day 1.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:54 AM
HockeyCritics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Totally Charles. Was the team leader IMO from Day 1.
I agree also

Old
02-01-2013, 07:10 AM
getrdone71

Well just sitting on the fan bus heading up to kingston. A lot of fans going up for the 3 day road trip (2 buses) going to be a good time.I would bet there is a lot of poster from these boards on the buses. Well cheers to the eastern road trip and hopefully we get to see some good games....GO Sting Go!!!!!!!

Old
02-01-2013, 03:28 PM
aresknights

Hopefully the staff has the kids supervised And there is no pillow fighting, hide n seek or playing in the showers.

The Eastern trips are usually a fun time for all. Enjoy!

Old
02-04-2013, 09:14 PM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Hopefully the staff has the kids supervised And there is no pillow fighting, hide n seek or playing in the showers.

The Eastern trips are usually a fun time for all. Enjoy!
Definitely wasn't a pretty weekend of hockey but I am glad we pulled out a win yesterday so the boys could feel good about themselves for the long bus ride home.

I just read Paul Owen's article in the Observer about Hergott. I may be wrong but I don't understand how not playing a game for the last half of the season can help any goalie's development. Marc Audet is playing Tier II in the Northern League, Brodie Barrick played the same level in Eastern Ontario, as is Gunner Rivers, and Dawe who's time in the OJHL obviously helped him develop to where he is now, just to name a few goalies that I know of. I would think this is what helps development. As play-offs draw near, is JP and whoever else is on the roster (either Dawe or Barrick, who is expected to skate next week) going to give way to Hergott for any length of time during practice??

Also, as a fellow retired reporter, I was surprised to hear the comments said by Hergott about his former team and teammates, and that those comments were printed without consulting anyone from the Guelph team he was referring to. Hopefully it is all true or there may be some unhappy people in Guelph as there are always two sides to a story. Apparently he was released from Mooretown Jr C and also from his hometown Midget Team after he was released by the Sting during training camp, so there may be more to the story than we know. Maybe not, but perhaps an inquiry to the Guelph coach, GM, or former teammates should have taken place.

Last edited by SarniaSting101: 02-04-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: additional info
Old
02-05-2013, 09:31 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaSting101 View Post
Definitely wasn't a pretty weekend of hockey but I am glad we pulled out a win yesterday so the boys could feel good about themselves for the long bus ride home.

I just read Paul Owen's article in the Observer about Hergott. I may be wrong but I don't understand how not playing a game for the last half of the season can help any goalie's development. Marc Audet is playing Tier II in the Northern League, Brodie Barrick played the same level in Eastern Ontario, as is Gunner Rivers, and Dawe who's time in the OJHL obviously helped him develop to where he is now, just to name a few goalies that I know of. I would think this is what helps development. As play-offs draw near, is JP and whoever else is on the roster (either Dawe or Barrick, who is expected to skate next week) going to give way to Hergott for any length of time during practice??

Also, as a fellow retired reporter, I was surprised to hear the comments said by Hergott about his former team and teammates, and that those comments were printed without consulting anyone from the Guelph team he was referring to. Hopefully it is all true or there may be some unhappy people in Guelph as there are always two sides to a story. Apparently he was released from Mooretown Jr C and also from his hometown Midget Team after he was released by the Sting during training camp, so there may be more to the story than we know. Maybe not, but perhaps an inquiry to the Guelph coach, GM, or former teammates should have taken place.
I totally agree with your assessment of Hergott. As for the story, if this was best the reporter could find, then maybe there nothing to write about. The kid, dragging his friends and teammate thru the mud is not newsworthy. We're talking 16 years old, not a pro.
PO should have tempered the comments or advise him because of his age. Good writers know what to include or exclude. Even though the kid is getting a chance of a lifetime he's on the spot. It's in print and i am sure his formers will read it. If this doesn't work, his reputation for fingerpointing will precede him.
So now that the can is open, it is predicament vs ability for him being here?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
I totally agree with your assessment of Hergott. As for the story, if this was best the reporter could find, then maybe there nothing to write about. The kid, dragging his friends and teammate thru the mud is not newsworthy. We're talking 16 years old, not a pro.
PO should have tempered the comments or advise him because of his age. Good writers know what to include or exclude. Even though the kid is getting a chance of a lifetime he's on the spot. It's in print and i am sure his formers will read it. If this doesn't work, his reputation for fingerpointing will precede him.
Hergott got lit up every time he played my son's team this year huge.....not impressed providing details about his views on the situation with Guelph. There is a better way to explain the move, would have thought his advisor would have coached him to be more politically correct.

Hopefully the move works out.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:38 AM
FatKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Hergott got lit up every time he played my son's team this year huge.....not impressed providing details about his views on the situation with Guelph. There is a better way to explain the move, would have thought his advisor would have coached him to be more politically correct.

Hopefully the move works out.
At the same time, it makes the Sting fans possibly put him in a group with some other non-favourites - i.e. is he going to whine and point fingers and want out of Sarnia eventually? It's just stuff that fans don't need to know about.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKid View Post
At the same time, it makes the Sting fans possibly put him in a group with some other non-favourites - i.e. is he going to whine and point fingers and want out of Sarnia eventually? It's just stuff that fans don't need to know about.
Exactly, and there is ALWAYS two sides to EVERY story. Poorly handled.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
massey

Quote:
Most of PO's reporting has been good up to this point.Have to agree with Dansk on this one though.I still am ticked off at the TSN reporter who at the world JR's tried to get the Canadian players to say something bad about the refs after the one game the opponets were flopping around like fish out of water to get a penality. That reporter asked 4-5 times during his interviews to get the players to say something nasty and they didnt bite.Shame on TSN. Most reporters dont report the news,they report only what sells.Always 2 sides to the story.I did one interview for a non sport related story to the reporter who then took my comments and twisted around to make a STORY.I asked him for a rebuttal and he refused.From now on,NO COMMENT

Old
02-07-2013, 08:36 PM
krauss72

Yeessssss! Way to go!!! Nothing is sweeter than beating the Knights. Way to finish them off Anthony! Way to silence the critics.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Yeessssss! Way to go!!! Nothing is sweeter than beating the Knights. Way to finish them off Anthony! Way to silence the critics.
Goldobin owns the Knights. While i always question his work ethic, the boy has vision and can score goals. I am left to wonder if he worked, what could he become.
Great game, great result...

Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
aresknights

Sarnia seems to like the newly named Bud Gardens.
Goldobin again was a difference maker.

They got down but kept battling and capitilized.

Anderson solid in goal, was the better goalie and often that means a W

Old
02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
No one on here was a bigger critic of Anthony than me.Read my post 2 months ago.Somebody had to get control of him before it was too late.Anthony has totally changed his attitude and playing style over the last few months.Being benched a few weeks ago has turn him around.NO stupid penalities and better decisions on moving the puck.Congrats to him and I hope he continues to improve his D game for sure.He and Basso are at the top of their games right now.Good job Sting against the Knights.They never gave up.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:55 PM
massey

Congrats to Sarault on his 5 point game today and taking the OHL scoring title lead.Also to Boucher for his 48th and 49th goal and leading the OHL in goals.The team showed some heart in coming back for the win.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:21 PM
honey bee

Great game today and a huge win for us. I thought Brian Moore played his heart out, looked great out there with Boucher and Sarault. Was Goldobin sulking over being played on the second line or is he sick? He played with absolutely no enthusiasm, constantly gave the puck away, and seemed totally disinterested in playing. Other than Goldy, I thought everyone had a good game.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:44 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey bee View Post
Great game today and a huge win for us. I thought Brian Moore played his heart out, looked great out there with Boucher and Sarault. Was Goldobin sulking over being played on the second line or is he sick? He played with absolutely no enthusiasm, constantly gave the puck away, and seemed totally disinterested in playing. Other than Goldy, I thought everyone had a good game.
Yes the rest played exc with one of Moore's best game. Goldobin hasnt been doing much lately.He is very lazy on the puck. He has been in JB bad books lately.He is trying to hard to pass the puck instead of shooting it.He has had numerous chances in front of the net to rifle it and instead tries to pass it off.Not sure it is JB with his demands of passing the puck around that is doing it or just plain poor decision making.He also has been lazy on getting the puck out of his own end and picking up the point man.You can hear JB yelling numerous times at him to skate.I realize he is only 17 and still has lots of talent and can get through this for sure.Maybe a good benching would sink in.Good job Sting

Old
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
StungbySting

Is Taki Pantziris hurt? Haven't seen him in the lineup lately

Old
02-11-2013, 03:22 PM
honey bee

Taki is out with a lower body injury.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
HockeyCritics

Quote:
Just a Fyi ,According to sources in Waterloo and Kitchener . He as big problem on and off the ice. According to them Father his a major problem also.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritics View Post
Just a Fyi ,According to sources in Waterloo and Kitchener . He as big problem on and off the ice. According to them Father his a major problem also.
thanks for the 411. Never met the kid...many times fathers can be a bone of contention. Son is always better than the next kid.

BTW, what do you think we can expect tonite? Doubt we will see a repeat, it will be close. It could not get any worse.

Closed Thread