HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Ticket prices are getting ridiculous.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:41 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 500
The prices are where they are because people are willing to pay them. If people in the more expensive cities want to pay less, then stop paying what you are paying. Simple economics....

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
That's secondary market. You're not subsidizing secondary market, the original ticket holder is. You're really not subsidizing much of anything, NHL revenue sharing is weak. You're just being gouged, because you can, or maybe because your market doesn't have strong local TV or corporate support and needs to maximize gate revenue, and the easiest way to do that is to make $1.5/2M a night.
Not completely secondary though. Some teams (PHX for sure, there are others) are now listing tickets directly with stubhub for games. AFAIK they are listing many of these ducats at less than face value, so fans in other cities could be seen as subsidizing these tix.

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:11 AM
patnyrnyg

Teams have been putting tickets directly on sites like stubhub for years. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

As far as being able to get tickets on stubhub for certain teams, it is all about the pricing model. Many teams that struggle to sell tickets will offer HUGE discounts off the single game ticket price in order to sell full-season and partial-season packages. So, where it might cost $80 for a ticket through ticketdisaster or the box office, the season ticket-holder may be paying $30 or $40. The season ticket holder can sell it for $50, still give the secondary buyer a better price and make a few dollars for themselves.

Teams, especially the big market teams, are well aware of the demand for their tickets on the secondary market. One poster mentioned they paid $25 for Leafs tickets in 1991, same tickets now cost $200. For arguments sake, let's say the Leafs set the price at $50. The tickets would still be sold on the secondary market for $300-400 each. The way the Leafs see it is it is their product, why should they not make as much as the revenue as possible. Frankly, I agree with them. Granted, they can't sell every ticket for $300-400. So, they find the happy medium where they can maximiize revenues, ell all their tickets, and still leave enough meat on the bone for the person who buys just for the sake of selling.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
ProfessorMcFatty

I wouldn't have a problem with the high ticket prices (supply and demand), except that in the U.S, the city pays for the stadium/arena.

So in Minneapolis, we built an Arena for the Wild ~2000, a new baseball stadium last year, and now a new football stadium next year. That's a LOT of money. The least they could do is to take 5% of ticket prices and give it back to the city until the venue is paid for.

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The largest housing bubble in the world exists in Canada. It has to end sometime. I don't think any NHL teams are in trouble, but this sort of spending ins't sustainable. People in Vancouver are spending 83% of their income on housing.

The 'fans' buying the tickets in these cases are upper echelon. Tickets are out of reach for many.
Yeah there`s some bizarre paralysis with canadians. You can explain it to them 100 different ways to sunday and they just refuse to get it.

Also it`s important to note, that with the strong government sector in the country, many boomers are in the highest tax brackets and will not be replaced by their juniors.

The canadian government is working hard to insure that the younger generation isn`t as over payed. Which will have a rather significant effect on the economy.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
Lol and this is the actual problem where my ticket money is being spent to subsidies yours.
Lol that you see it as a problem what someone else across the continent pays for hockey tix.

You could look into a less expensive hobby...?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:15 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
The largest housing bubble in the world exists in Canada. It has to end sometime. I don't think any NHL teams are in trouble, but this sort of spending ins't sustainable. People in Vancouver are spending 83% of their income on housing.

The 'fans' buying the tickets in these cases are upper echelon. Tickets are out of reach for many.
No, they really aren't. 83% is the amount someone making an average income would have to spend to service an average housing cost in the city of Vancouver, not the amount people in Vancouver are spending on housing. That number just says someone making average income cannot afford to buy a house in the city of Vancouver. Someone making that little would never qualify to purchase a home. People making average salaries in Vancouver don't own homes. They rent or own a condo (average salary would be 42% of an average condos costs). Meanwhile someone living in Edmonton could easily afford a house with an average salary.

http://www.rbc.com/economics/market/pdf/house.pdf

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:31 AM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
People making average salaries in Vancouver don't own homes. They rent or own a condo.

Quote:
The appeal of rock-bottom interest rates apparently trumped warnings about excessive borrowing for Canadians in the last three months of 2012, with the average consumerís non-mortgage debt increasing by nearly 6% from the same period in 2011, according to consumer credit rater TransUnion.

Consumer borrowing on average increased by more than 1,500 Canadian dollars ($1,502) in the fourth quarter of last year from the same period in 2011, TransUnion says. The increase was sharply higher than the 1% climb recorded in the final quarter of 2011, and the 5.6% increase in 2010.
It's not going away. It will be painful.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:32 AM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
Vote with your wallet. Let someone else pay those high prices.

Are you really getting $75+ worth of entertainment watching a hockey game at an arena? Even if it's a good game, that's a lot of cash. Nevermind paying $150, $250 or higher.
You aren't even guaranteed it'll be a good game. I can't imagine how ripped-off I'd feel if paying those prices watching an extremely dull defensive game or blowout.

There are so many better ways to spend my money, especially since I prefer to watch an HD feed on my 60" HDTV in the comfort of my own home.
Aren't you hoping for a team to come back to Quebec city and willing to put up with high ticket prices? I love the irony here.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:37 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:

It's not going away. It will be painful.
Not sure the point of your charts. You claimed people in Vancouver use 83% of their income on housing costs which is completely incorrect.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

The market determines the prices.

As a Maple Leafs fan in the GTA, going to games is simply not a thing I do.

Which is the main reason why I have zero sympathy for small/struggling markets.

My team doesn't take pity on me, so why should I take pity on anyone else?

If your team is struggling to make ends meet, I actively root for its demise (I am looking at you Phoenix). You have just as much 'right' to a local NHL team as I do. Which is none.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:00 AM
mr gib

in vancouver the lower bowl , most of the second and club seats are all corporate ... my bosses are 158 ea for 4 club seats ... a single seat is around 63 bux furthur up ... that ain't that bad ...

mr gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:08 AM
njdevil26

If that article is accurate... then Devils tickets are more expensive than Habs tickets. That's ridiculous.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:15 AM
yotesreign

Quote:

I thought you were going to say they spent 83% of their income on hockey tickets lol.

I don't even want to think about what % of my AGI goes towards attending NHL games. I know it's more than 5% and sadly a larger % than I put into my retirement account each year, and it's a larger amount than I spend on vacations out of state. It's not more than I spend each year for health care or auto insurance though, but it's a huge chunk of my entertainment costs each year.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
The prices are where they are because people are willing to pay them. If people in the more expensive cities want to pay less, then stop paying what you are paying. Simple economics....
Ding ding ding!

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
www.lastwordonsports.com/outrageous_NHL_ticket_prices

Some of the big market teams, mostly in Canada, are taking advantage of the hockey fans with the extremely high ticket prices, that are becoming unreachable for the major public.
Lets look at this as why?

You want your team to win. In order to win games, you need to pay for ice, staff, roster and equipment. Like all sports, except ice time and equipment is more than 2x the amount than any other sport and most of them are 3x the amount more.

Wait! It does not even stop there. You demand wins... so to keep up with the other best teams your team needs to pay for talent which comes at a hefty price... Millions in fact. In order to break even some of these teams must raise prices or have a lockout to demand higher HRR. But then fans complain anyway. lose lose situation for the owners it seems...

Your absolutely right though, wya to expensive... Tix prices are up but what about jerseys? Yet... as bad as it all is. There are people who still buy tickets. The tix dont bother me as much as other things like jerseys, food and whatever Callahan jersey is like $160 at Modells. What is that a joke? Maybe ill buy one or two in my life but i rather go to China websites and pay $35 plus a $15 shipping for a able to play in jersey and looks pretty dam real. Food too! $12 for a beer at MSG... Or go down to the train station located below before the game and order 3 beers at each double the size of a bottled beer and that will cost you under $25 and thats including a slice of NY pizza lol

There gotta be better ways to go about selling food or selling merchandise.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:35 PM
TheStroker

vCash: 986
Maybe fans shouldn't have come running back to the NHL like a dog with its tail between its legs once the lockout was done. Fans had the chance to vote with their wallets once the lockout was done and what do they do? They come back in big numbers, attendance is up, and all if forgiven. You think the league and owners didn't know this would happen? Fans have no one to blame but themselves.

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Swarez

Its not a problem in Toronto, 75% of people get in free, there company pays.

Nothing cheaper than that.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post

If your team is struggling to make ends meet, I actively root for its demise (I am looking at you Phoenix). You have just as much 'right' to a local NHL team as I do. Which is none.
What makes you think anyone is looking for your pity?

If (when) Phx moves, will tml tix prices go down? Of course not.

And how does someone "actively root" for a team's demise?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
As shown by their willingness to go right back into the NHL's arms after another lockout, NHL fans don't really have much restraint and are fairly stupid consumers.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
As shown by their willingness to go right back into the NHL's arms after another lockout, NHL fans don't really have much restraint and are fairly stupid consumers.
The thing is, plenty of teams will find someone quickly who will take your season tickets once you give up on them. Eventually, you will realize that you made a huge mistake and have to get back onto the waiting list.

The big market/sold out teams probably didn't give a **** if people wouldn't renew their tickets. Someone will buy them.

02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
saskganesh

Since the cost of attending a game just keeps escalating, the NHL should lock out the fans in order to bring those expenses into line.

saskganesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:02 PM
sh724

We live in a society controlled by Capitalism and dominated by profits. In the US the #1 legal priority of a corporation is to maximize shareholder value. Sports teams (or any other company for that matter) are going to maximize there profits if that means only rich people can go to games than that is what will happen. A lot of people fail to realize sports teams are not trying to make their fans happy, they are trying to make more money. In the end if what they do to increase profits also increases fan happiness than good for the fans. In a capitalist society profits are #1 everything else is secondary. Of course there are laws and regulations in place to some what keep companies in check but making money will always be the highest priority. Supple and Demand is the most basic economic concept and every company uses it, so do a better job than others but all companies use it.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post

You sound bitter???

A simple supply vs demand would have done...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:28 PM
MISC*
Negged.

With all due respect; I think people don't realize how much money some people have/make/inherit.

I have 3 season tickets w/ the Canucks - $21,000 a year. That's about 10% of my income spent on the team. Pretty reasonable is you ask me.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote