HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
I don't get all the Seth Jones love for #1 pick... Way too many hyped big sized dman have disappointed and didn't reach expectations lately, especially offensively, some of them is too early to tell, but I wouldn't pass on Drouin or MacKinnon for Jones.

#3 Bouwmeester in 2002 (was ranked #1 almost all year)
#3 Barker in 2004
#3 J.Johnson in 2005
#1 E.Johnson in 2006
#4 T.Hickey in 2007
#5 K.Alzner in 2007
#2 D. Doughty in 2008 (That one is actually well deserved)
#3 Z.Bogosian in 2008
#4 A.Pietrangelo in 2008 (Another one deserved)
#2 V. Hedman in 2009 (Hyped like crazy over the year..now nobody would touch him to be ahead of Tavares, when a lot of poster here thought he was better than Tavares)
#3 E.Grudbranson in 2010 (too early to tell,
#4 A. Larsson in 2012 (Was also hyped like crazy, was the consensus number 1 at some point, too early to tell tho)

The 2012 draft was full of D drafted early too. We will see.

Very tall dman, with great skating and PPG in the WHL before his draft years, his scouting report reminds me of Jay Bouwmeester, textbook.
It's too early to tell on many of those players.

EJ has been improving and that injury imo was really bad for him.

Alzner isn't going to put up big numbers but he's very solid. Hedman has been amazing this year, obviously Tavares is still ahead. Bogo, too early. JJ may not have lived up to the hype but he seems like 1st pairing Dman, been solid on Columbus.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Codith

Drouin is the best and most talented forward in the draft.

In terms of sheer talent that has come out of the Q over the last few years, I'd rank them as follows

Crosby
Drouin
Giroux

Old
02-05-2013, 10:45 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post

In terms of sheer talent that has come out of the Q over the last few years, I'd rank them as follows

Crosby
Drouin
Giroux
I agree, his desire is up there too.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:23 AM
c_robio

Quote:

Crosby
Drouin
Giroux
Agree as well

Old
02-05-2013, 11:25 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
I don't get all the Seth Jones love for #1 pick... Way too many hyped big sized dman have disappointed and didn't reach expectations lately, especially offensively, some of them is too early to tell, but I wouldn't pass on Drouin or MacKinnon for Jones.

#3 Bouwmeester in 2002 (was ranked #1 almost all year)
#3 Barker in 2004
#3 J.Johnson in 2005
#1 E.Johnson in 2006
#4 T.Hickey in 2007
#5 K.Alzner in 2007
#2 D. Doughty in 2008 (That one is actually well deserved)
#3 Z.Bogosian in 2008
#4 A.Pietrangelo in 2008 (Another one deserved)
#2 V. Hedman in 2009 (Hyped like crazy over the year..now nobody would touch him to be ahead of Tavares, when a lot of poster here thought he was better than Tavares)
#3 E.Grudbranson in 2010 (too early to tell,
#4 A. Larsson in 2012 (Was also hyped like crazy, was the consensus number 1 at some point, too early to tell tho)

The 2012 draft was full of D drafted early too. We will see.

Very tall dman, with great skating and PPG in the WHL before his draft years, his scouting report reminds me of Jay Bouwmeester, textbook.
Seth Jones has more tools that all of those guys. I don't recall anybody in that group that could do as much during their draft year what he can already do in terms of all-around skill set.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Falcons93

Quote:

Crosby
Drouin
Giroux
Yup, he should easily go first overall in my opinion..

Old
02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Seth Jones has more tools that all of those guys. I don't recall anybody in that group that could do as much during their draft year what he can already do in terms of all-around skill set.
Its really a matter of opinion anyways. I dont like drafting D-man early for the reasons that have been stated which is even the good players dont turn out great. It takes a while for them to develop and a handful are stars. I like Drouin to the NYI at number 3 overall but believe he is the best player in the draft

Old
02-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Dgill

From watching both MacKinnon and Drouin since they became Mooseheads I am comfortable saying that Drouin has been playing above MacKinnon for quite some time now. The guy is just magic every time he has the puck.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:50 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Its really a matter of opinion anyways. I dont like drafting D-man early for the reasons that have been stated which is even the good players dont turn out great. It takes a while for them to develop and a handful are stars. I like Drouin to the NYI at number 3 overall but believe he is the best player in the draft
This.
A smart GM will draft a top forward with the 1st pick and a Dman from the Q (usually underrated) with the second pick.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
I went to the game last night against Rimouski, and Drouin was easily our best forward on the ice. He was always in position, including going to the front of the net to tuck it in for his 2nd of the game.. He made some fancy plays, but nothing that coughed up the puck.. He was able to play the body a few times in the corner, and when it was him getting hit he was back up in a split-second and instantly back in the play.. When the game went to a shootout, he was so clutch.. if he had missed, they could have won on the next shot. Him and Weegar were truly the deciding factors of the game.

Then we get to MacKinnon.. He seemed so disorganized during the game, always wanting to be "the guy".. His speed was sensational, and he wasn't afraid to muck it up in the corner.. but when it came to having the puck.. he was flat. I was truly disappointed with him, which lately, I find myself feeling more and more. He managed to score, but it was really a fluke.. he fell, made a desperation shot that went in off the Rimouski players skate. When it came time for the shootout, he was first up and missed. He tried to be fancy and just lost track of his shot. In a game as big as this was, the 1st and 2nd ranked teams against each other.. You basically expect your star player to bring his A-game.. and he really didn't.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Not really. It all depends who wins the lottery. Edmonton would take Jones if they're smart. But a team like Toronto, who has a decent pool of young d-men, would likely take Mackinnon over Jones (or Drouin depending how the team views the two prospects).
What makes you think Toronto addresses their needs? They showed a disregard for positional needs last summer and went with their BPA.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:19 AM
ScottFC

I hope he gets mono

Old
02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
This.
A smart GM will draft a top forward with the 1st pick and a Dman from the Q (usually underrated) with the second pick.
No!
A smart general manager will select who he and his army of scouts deem as the best prospect in the draft.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:23 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Drouin hype train since he and MacKinnon tore it up in the playoffs (had him 4th early in Sept)

I just think it's a remarkable draft considering the top 3, Jones who was my pick early in the year, and MacKinnon are legitimate first overall picks in any year

Old
02-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Pierre Gotye

I think Drouin is easily the best skating, high end offensive talent in the draft. MacKinnon, Barkov, and Lindholm will all be what I think are safe picks, but they are much different players.

Drouin reminds me of Parise, only arguably more skilled. His skating, hands, vision and hockey IQ are off the charts great.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Beesfan

At this point, I actually expect Seth Jones to be the first overall pick. He's the most dominating player.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
I went to the game last night against Rimouski, and Drouin was easily our best forward on the ice. He was always in position, including going to the front of the net to tuck it in for his 2nd of the game.. He made some fancy plays, but nothing that coughed up the puck.. He was able to play the body a few times in the corner, and when it was him getting hit he was back up in a split-second and instantly back in the play.. When the game went to a shootout, he was so clutch.. if he had missed, they could have won on the next shot. Him and Weegar were truly the deciding factors of the game.

Then we get to MacKinnon.. He seemed so disorganized during the game, always wanting to be "the guy".. His speed was sensational, and he wasn't afraid to muck it up in the corner.. but when it came to having the puck.. he was flat. I was truly disappointed with him, which lately, I find myself feeling more and more. He managed to score, but it was really a fluke.. he fell, made a desperation shot that went in off the Rimouski players skate. When it came time for the shootout, he was first up and missed. He tried to be fancy and just lost track of his shot. In a game as big as this was, the 1st and 2nd ranked teams against each other.. You basically expect your star player to bring his A-game.. and he really didn't.

Agree 100% with whats in bold. His speed was his only real bright spot, and even that disappears for games at a time now.

His puck control has consistently gotten worse, and it could be a combination of confidence and trying to over handle to puck IMO. It seems like he tries to stick-handle really hard on the puck if that makes sense.

As for him being a general disappointment, I agree that its becoming a trend. He seems to have lost his drive and is now on cruise control. Hopefully its because his team is so good he doesn't need to be amazing every game like he was last season, and that he will turn it back on again in the playoffs.

As for Drouin #1, it is surely a possibility at this rate if MacKinnon continues to play like this in the playoffs and Drouin outshines him on the way to a memorial cup birth.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Agree 100% with whats in bold. His speed was his only real bright spot, and even that disappears for games at a time now.

His puck control has consistently gotten worse, and it could be a combination of confidence and trying to over handle to puck IMO. It seems like he tries to stick-handle really hard on the puck if that makes sense.

As for him being a general disappointment, I agree that its becoming a trend. He seems to have lost his drive and is now on cruise control. Hopefully its because his team is so good he doesn't need to be amazing every game like he was last season, and that he will turn it back on again in the playoffs.

As for Drouin #1, it is surely a possibility at this rate if MacKinnon continues to play like this in the playoffs and Drouin outshines him on the way to a memorial cup birth.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Drouin seems driven and goal oreinted while MacKinnon seems coasting and content with where he is at the moment. MacKinnon needs to simplify his game and go back to the basics. Drouin on the other hand can just keep playing like he has.

I'm excited for Saturday's game. It would be nice to see MacKinnon have a big game against a rival to get the ball rolling again.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:30 PM
blueNwhite89

it's certainly possible

Old
02-07-2013, 03:50 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
What makes you think Toronto addresses their needs? They showed a disregard for positional needs last summer and went with their BPA.
To be fair Toronto has needs on every area of the ice and I'm not even trying to make a joke here.. gonna be hard to tell if they pick BPA or for a position anyway

Old
02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Neither, Jones is the best OA pick.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
welcometothebigshow2

Drouin is easily the best hockey player in the draft.. But he doesn't bring the intangibles, and even though he's the same height as Mackinnon, the size and power of the other three (Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov), and that COULD hurt him at the NHL level. Drouin will be a beauty though, that's for sure.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcometothebigshow2 View Post
Drouin is easily the best hockey player in the draft.. But he doesn't bring the intangibles, and even though he's the same height as Mackinnon, the size and power of the other three (Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov), and that COULD hurt him at the NHL level. Drouin will be a beauty though, that's for sure.
They're both listed at 5'11 most places but on Hockey Canada Drouin is 5'10.75 while MacKinnon is listed at 6'0.

Regardless, there is definitely a height advantage for Mack.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Rielly brings a need to Toronto, not as much as a center would have but still fills a need going forward, regardless drafting for needs with a top pick is never a good idea.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Shanahanigans

So what is Drouin's realistic NHL upside? He kind of reminds me of Jordan Eberle. Or is he more Patrick Kane?

Closed Thread