HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 02:13 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
What if your Davidson/Howson and by chance, Columbus got the first pick. Already having Murray, do you still draft Jones and have a Jones/Murray pairing(not sure if they both play on the same side or not)? Can they be a Keith/Seabrook or a Weber/Suter type of tandem? Or do you pick Mackinnon and go with a 1-2 punch of Mackinnon and Johansen. Then hope Murray, Erixon,Moore, etc can be strong enough on the back end. Or maybe even trade the pick and drop down a couple of spots and then draft Drouin. Columbus adds some extra pieces and still get a solid player. Some say Drouin is more of a play maker but it looks like he can score. Johansen was projected to be a Thornton/Sedin like passer so if Johansen lives up to expectation, him feeding Drouin would be nice.
I think it'd depend on where their other picks are and who they think they could get. Personally, I'd take Jones, and use the other 2 picks on forwards with the highest upside available

Old
01-03-2013, 03:54 AM
dookie88

vCash: 500
Quote:
What if your Davidson/Howson and by chance, Columbus got the first pick. Already having Murray, do you still draft Jones and have a Jones/Murray pairing(not sure if they both play on the same side or not)? Can they be a Keith/Seabrook or a Weber/Suter type of tandem? Or do you pick Mackinnon and go with a 1-2 punch of Mackinnon and Johansen. Then hope Murray, Erixon,Moore, etc can be strong enough on the back end. Or maybe even trade the pick and drop down a couple of spots and then draft Drouin. Columbus adds some extra pieces and still get a solid player. Some say Drouin is more of a play maker but it looks like he can score. Johansen was projected to be a Thornton/Sedin like passer so if Johansen lives up to expectation, him feeding Drouin would be nice.
In a perfect world you package the later two picks and a roster player and move up into the top4.
Take Jones first, select one of McKinnon, Drouin or Monahan.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Klown

Jones really impressed me in the semi. So composed and calm. A future franchise d-man and team captain for sure. I think I'd pick him over MacKinnon or Drouin if I was GM.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:32 PM
puckfan13

Jones is my #1 right now.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:27 PM
RipCityPuckers

I'm convinced that MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, and Lindholm all would have been selected before Nail Yakupov had they been in the same draft together

Old
01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
MacKinnon doesn't have the skill or hockey sense Tavares does.

Tavares knack is also skating, which isn't MacKinnon's at all. Hall does sound like a good comparison, honestly.
Not so much anymore imo.. he's improved a LOT on that department.

edit. Tavares obviously has better hockey sense (at least one of the best) but MacKinnon has pretty good hockey sense too. He can make excellent plays with little to no space and time.. imo that qualifies to hockey sense category.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:14 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
You don't have Lindholm in the discussion?

As for Jones, the one drawback for me is that he seems kind of raw. Super talented, but I'm not sure he's decided on exactly what kind of player he wants to become. He tries a lot of things offensively that normally only smaller offensive dmen would try in terms of pinches, rushes and dangles, but will such a big man really be able to dangle like that at the NHL level? We've seen big dmen with finesse offensive games struggle to really learn how to use their tools effectively at the NHL level, i.e. Myers, Hedman, EJ, etc. The big men who are most effective tend to keep it simple offensively, i.e. Pronger, Chara, Weber, etc. With that being said, he also has a great shot and plenty of talent in his own end, his upside is enormous, but if I'm thinking about picking him 1st overall the main thing I'd worry about is him actually turning all of that raw talent into a polished NHL game. Massive upside, could literally be a rich man's Pietrangelo, but I do think he's a riskier pick than some of the top forwards.

Personally I'd have a pretty tough time deciding between MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov and Lindholm. I think I'd still go with MacKinnon, I wouldn't hold this WJC against him as he's mostly played 4th line minutes, but it's definitely a really, really tough choice.
Just haven't seen enough of him right now to gauge him properly. Haven't seen a ton of Swedish WJ games, yet, they are PVR'd on my TV. I think he's definitely in the top 6 talk along with Monahan too.

Quote:
It's an interesting problem to have. Personally, I'm not terribly sold on MacKinnon as a #1 guy. I've seen Jones extensively and having a top future pairing of Murray/Jones is damn appealing. Especially considering I believe that championship teams need an elite blueline.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:14 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
I'm convinced that MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, and Lindholm all would have been selected before Nail Yakupov had they been in the same draft together
My god people's view on Nail has changed drastically since the Oilers got him. He's played very well despite the common notion around here. He went from better than Stamkos to complete bust in a matter of months

Old
01-03-2013, 06:15 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
It's an interesting problem to have. Personally, I'm not terribly sold on MacKinnon as a #1 guy. I've seen Jones extensively and having a top future pairing of Murray/Jones is damn appealing. Especially considering I believe that championship teams need an elite blueline.
It'd be one hell of a pairing that's for sure. The two of them would compliment each other very well.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Lord of Light
Sacrifice Benning

Quote:
No. Way.

Yakupov needs to be mature, that's his only problem.

The only player on that list that could go ahead of him is MacKinnon and Drouin is my favourite player in this draft (even before he opened eyes).

Old
01-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Baggie

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that, atleast what comes to their talent level.

However, as an oilers fan I would have been much happier if the oilers got to pick Jones instead of Yakupov. No knock on Yak, it would just solve a whole lot of problems for the oilers. Yes there was Murray (and of course plenty of other D's) but I think Jones is on different level.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
RipCityPuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
My god people's view on Nail has changed drastically since the Oilers got him. He's played very well despite the common notion around here. He went from better than Stamkos to complete bust in a matter of months
That's not me knocking Nail

That's me praising the hell out of the top 5 in the 2013 draft

Still think Yakupov is a great prospect but IMO Mac/Jones/Drouin/Barkov/Lindholm are further along in their development than he was last year

But then again maturity has always been a huge factor in my evaluations

Old
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Lord of Light
Sacrifice Benning

Not a Yakupov thread but he is more skilled or as skilled as all of them.

I said this was a great and top loaded draft like 06, but that doesn't mean these guys are better than Yakupov. I remember when everyone had him in front of the Nuge, definitely shiny new toy here.

I thought all the "hyped" prospect underperformed in this tourney because of all the expectations, including Jones. Only Drouin succeeded

Old
01-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
That's not me knocking Nail

That's me praising the hell out of the top 5 in the 2013 draft

Still think Yakupov is a great prospect but IMO Mac/Jones/Drouin/Barkov/Lindholm are further along in their development than he was last year

But then again maturity has always been a huge factor in my evaluations
Yakupov is easily more talented than any forward in this year's draft. The only player I'd consider taking over Yak would be Jones really.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:04 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
41 games, 9 goals and 29 assists so far. +32.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
He'll look good in Denver.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:55 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Anyone who called him better than Stamkos was completely ********. 2012 was considered one of the weaker drafts in the last few years, and that includes the first overall pick.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He'll look good in Denver.
Considering he start hockey because of Sakic, Avs, and is a Avs fan.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:08 PM
byeyimini

NHL as early as next season ?

Will Jones play in the NHL next season ? Or do you think he will be send back to Portland to refine things a bit more ? I guess it depends on who draft him of course.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by byeyimini View Post
Will Jones play in the NHL next season ? Or do you think he will be send back to Portland to refine things a bit more ? I guess it depends on who draft him of course.
He could be playing in the NHL right now.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Not so much anymore imo.. he's improved a LOT on that department.

edit. Tavares obviously has better hockey sense (at least one of the best) but MacKinnon has pretty good hockey sense too. He can make excellent plays with little to no space and time.. imo that qualifies to hockey sense category.
It was, shouldn't have said is.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I'm probably a homer, but I think Ekblad is the better prospect.

Jones is better offensively, rushes the puck up more and is a bit flashier. He's pretty creative at times too. Ekblad is a great piece to have on the powerplay. He can be either the shooter or QB, and isn't afraid to go down low. Jones is the better player offensively right now, but Ekblad still is growing in that aspect. Both players make excellent first passes too.

Defensively, Ekblad is better. Jones is fantastic in his own zone (despite what people will say who've only watched the WJC), but Ekblad is just unreal. I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but the Colts biggest loss right now is not Scheifele or Camara. It's Ekblad. No one knows how to play defense for the Colts right now. Ekblad makes the simple play every time, whereas Jones does not. Ekblad has a more active stick and never cheats. It may hurt his offensive production, but he doesn't get burned at all really. Jones still is very good though, but has more to improve in his own end than Ekblad does.

Both can dominate a game physically, not necessarily with huge hits, but by using their bodies well, clearing the front of the net, and winning board battles. Neither are overly physical, but I'd give the edge to Ekblad here, he simply does not lose puck battles. Both can be beasts when they want to be though.

Jones and Ekblad both have lots of room to grow. I think Ekblad is a better prospect, but both are first overall talents in my mind. If I had to project them, I'd say Jones will be better offensively. He'll take more risks and consistently put up more points. Ekblad will be better defensively, but won't put up quite the numbers that Jones does. I think a large portion of his production will come from the powerplay.
So basically you don't like how Jones defends rather than his actual ability to. Making the simple play is nice but if a guy has the skill to the do things Jones can do, you don't critique for doing so. Jones has great hands and athleticism, and he can make riskier plays because he has the skill to make them.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:06 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I'm probably a homer, but I think Ekblad is the better prospect.

Jones is better offensively, rushes the puck up more and is a bit flashier. He's pretty creative at times too. Ekblad is a great piece to have on the powerplay. He can be either the shooter or QB, and isn't afraid to go down low. Jones is the better player offensively right now, but Ekblad still is growing in that aspect. Both players make excellent first passes too.

Defensively, Ekblad is better. Jones is fantastic in his own zone (despite what people will say who've only watched the WJC), but Ekblad is just unreal. I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but the Colts biggest loss right now is not Scheifele or Camara. It's Ekblad. No one knows how to play defense for the Colts right now. Ekblad makes the simple play every time, whereas Jones does not. Ekblad has a more active stick and never cheats. It may hurt his offensive production, but he doesn't get burned at all really. Jones still is very good though, but has more to improve in his own end than Ekblad does.

Both can dominate a game physically, not necessarily with huge hits, but by using their bodies well, clearing the front of the net, and winning board battles. Neither are overly physical, but I'd give the edge to Ekblad here, he simply does not lose puck battles. Both can be beasts when they want to be though.

Jones and Ekblad both have lots of room to grow. I think Ekblad is a better prospect, but both are first overall talents in my mind. If I had to project them, I'd say Jones will be better offensively. He'll take more risks and consistently put up more points. Ekblad will be better defensively, but won't put up quite the numbers that Jones does. I think a large portion of his production will come from the powerplay.
Ekblad is a 16 year old man child. I'm always weary about the growth of a teenager who spots a full beard. Unless you think Ekblad is going to grow into a 6'6 300 pound hockey player I don't think he's going to develop as much as Jones who still has a lot of growing into his long frame to do. Ekblad is better defensively now but he looks a guy who just physically overwhelms Juniors (even 19 year olds) whereas Jones athleticism and work with his stick give him tremendous defensive upside. Offensively the two are not even close. Jones is a much better skater and more fluid with the puck.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:40 AM
byeyimini

he's racking up points

Wow, he's really on a run over the last 7 games, 12 points ! Impressive.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Ekblad is a 16 year old man child. I'm always weary about the growth of a teenager who spots a full beard. Unless you think Ekblad is going to grow into a 6'6 300 pound hockey player I don't think he's going to develop as much as Jones who still has a lot of growing into his long frame to do. Ekblad is better defensively now but he looks a guy who just physically overwhelms Juniors (even 19 year olds) whereas Jones athleticism and work with his stick give him tremendous defensive upside. Offensively the two are not even close. Jones is a much better skater and more fluid with the puck.
Jones was 6'3 when THN did an article on him at 14. He wans't exactly skinny either in the pictures, I'd assume he was 190 lbs. I don't see how Ekblad is a man child at 16, 6'3 210 lbs and Jones wasn't at 16 6'3 200 lbs.

Closed Thread