HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Regular Season Discussion

Old
02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Island Husky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
When Sask put in their bid there was also a bid from Regina, and possibly Calgary. For Manitoba to have a bid it would need the support of the Jets. Maybe they could offer tickets to the 8,000 people who pay $100 a year to be on the waiting list.

All the CW teams could use the publicity that a national tournament would generate. However, none have demonstrated that they know marketing very well. UBC would have the best facility, having been used in the Olympics.

But it is Ontario's turn. Or maybe the CIS should seize the moment and get MLSE to take charge. [See link from Bison thread: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle8034474/]
Now that Billy Schurman has taken over as AD at UPEI, this subject raises a good point. BTW that may be news for some of our commenters here. With typical subtlety of the University, it was announced two weeks ago or so out of nowhere, Schurman was headed to UPEI. Only then was it learned, Ronnie Annear's contract would not be renewed although he would be retained in another capacity. To my own and a lot of other people's knowledge the only other position is Sport Information. Now that was being filled by another, former women's volleyball coach, whether she is gone by accident or design is not certain. In any case, Schurman, most of you know, was former Recreation Director in Summerside for many years, where he made a name for attracting sports events for the town to host. He moved to Moncton Wildcats org as GM, but I always felt Irving brought him in for his marketing skills. He also did a stint in Lewiston which as we know, did not work out so well. But this sort of thing would be right up his alley.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:21 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB beats STU 5-1 in a rather 'meh' game.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Rob

In the 'tough loss section' I see the Nippising Lakers outshot the Concordia Stingers 40-20 but still lost 1-0. Antonio Mastropietro with the shutout.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:30 AM
SnipeShow91

8th and final installment of The Road To The Carr-Harris Cup..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-X1...ature=youtu.be

Would love some feedback of the series to see if I can change anything for the next series.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
8th and final installment of The Road To The Carr-Harris Cup..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-X1...ature=youtu.be

Would love some feedback of the series to see if I can change anything for the next series.
Great Video Footage, i flipped through it but didnt have time to watch it all, what exactly is the Carr-Harris Cup? Is it basically like a yearly rivalry game played, like a (college football style Bowl game)?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:11 AM
WilcoxHound

The GeeGees hauled a goalie out of mothballs and used him to help win 2 games this weekend and move them into 4th place as the teams in front of them for 4th lost. Goalie Harrison May hadn't played in 2 years and was eased into competition with a couple games against struggling teams in Queens and RMC. Considering the opposition I can't get a good read on whether or not the GGs have improved and this weekend against UofT and Nipissing won't be a gauge on how well they show in the playoffs but they are learning to win again. The serious injuries to top players are now in the past with the exception of G Russell Abbott who staff informs me is probably finished for the season with a knee injury.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:57 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
The GeeGees hauled a goalie out of mothballs and used him to help win 2 games this weekend and move them into 4th place as the teams in front of them for 4th lost. Goalie Harrison May hadn't played in 2 years and was eased into competition with a couple games against struggling teams in Queens and RMC. Considering the opposition I can't get a good read on whether or not the GGs have improved and this weekend against UofT and Nipissing won't be a gauge on how well they show in the playoffs but they are learning to win again. The serious injuries to top players are now in the past with the exception of G Russell Abbott who staff informs me is probably finished for the season with a knee injury.
I wouldnt put too much stock into beating us at RMC. 3rd game in 4 days, half the team had military qualifications to attend early in the morning. We have maybe energy for 20 minutes. Plus 7 shots in the last 2 periods isint good enough to win.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
northvanman

OUA News

Kudos to Brock last night, who erased a 3-1 third period deficit to beat Western 4-3 in a shootout. It was a critical win for Brock who maintained a one point lead in the standings over UOIT (who beat York last night) for the 8th and final playoff spot in the OUA West - if they end up tied in points, UOIT has the tie breaker, so Brock needed that extra point from the shootout. On the other hand, lashes to Western for blowing that lead and for the brain cramp that ended the game - on Western's final shootout attempt, David Comente touched the puck at centre ice and then over skated it. Western has not looked at all like their record in their last 2 games.

I continue to believe that any team in the OUA West is capable of winning the division - all playoff teams are good teams and there really isn't a lot separating them - the two exceptions being Waterloo who have been on a bit of downward spiral, and Laurier, who are rolling in the second half at 9-2-0 after a 3-0 win over Guelph last night. This is the team no one wants to see in the playoffs.

The Windsor/Waterloo game scheduled for tonight has been postponed due to weather and will now be played on Sunday at 5:30. I'll be surprised if the Lakehead/Brock game goes ahead tonight, unless Lakehead came in yesterday [EDIT: Brock's website says their game againt Lakehead is on].

Last edited by northvanman: 02-08-2013 at 02:49 PM.
northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Tie-breaking

There are many possible ties in the OUA. Here are the rules:

TIE BREAKING PROCEDURES:
1. Most league wins (if the teams have played the same number of games).
2. Record in head-to-head competition (if all teams involved in the tie have played each other at least once).
3. Point difference in head-to-head competition (if all teams involved in the tie have played each other at least once).
4. Record in games within the division.
5. Record in games against common opponents.
6. Record in games against each of the other teams in the division, starting at the top of the standing and continuing in descending order.
7. Point difference in games within the division.
8. Point difference in games against common opponents.
9. Point difference in games against the highest divisional opponent not involved in the tie.
10. Point difference in games against the second-highest divisional opponent not involved in the tie.
11. If the tie persists, repeat Step 10 using the other teams in the division in descending order until the tie is broken.
12. Total point difference.
13. Coin toss (if two teams are tied) or drawing of lots (if more than two teams are tied).

http://www.oua.ca/sports/2011/7/15/M...fo%20Ties.aspx

The Canada West is slightly different:

3.8 Tie Breaking Procedures:
Final league standings, at the conclusion of league play, shall be based on each teams points
as per 3.7. If two or more teams are tied in points then the tie breaking criteria are in the
following prioritized order:
1. Head-to-head competition record.
2. Number of wins.
3. Goals for/Goals against differential.

http://www.canadawest.org/custompage...R_MBB_2012.pdf

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
northvanman

With UQTR's win over Queen's and Toronto's win over Concordia this afternoon, 2 of the 4 OUA EAst first round playoff series have been settled.

Ryerson vs. UQTR
Queen's vs. Carleton

The other two series will be settled tonight, but we know that McGill and Ottawa will have home ice in the first round and that the two road teams will be U of T and Ottawa. BTW, if McGill and Ottawa end up tied for 3rd (would require a McGill loss against RMC and an Ottawa win against Nipissing), Ottawa has the tie breaker.

In the West, on the other hand, going into the final game for most (and final two for Windsor and Waterloo), the only thing that is certain is that Western will finish first - every other slot is in flux, including the eight and last slot that is currently held by Brock but will go to UOIT if they beat Laurier tonight. It's great - I don't ever remember there being this much playoff uncertainlty at this point in the season - every game tonight, and the game tormorrow, matters.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
SP Saskatuned

Regina Cougars beat Manitoba Bisons 4-2 this afternoon to close out their regular season. Bisons blow opportunity to sew up second place and first-round playoff bye in the Canada West. Door now open for Saskatchewan -- make that a slumping Saskatchewan in the second half, mind you -- to move back up into second place to secure home ice for CW semifinal with a win tonight over the Lethbridge Pronghorns.

SP Saskatuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:35 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
With UQTR's win over Queen's and Toronto's win over Concordia this afternoon, 2 of the 4 OUA EAst first round playoff series have been settled.

Ryerson vs. UQTR
Queen's vs. Carleton

The other two series will be settled tonight, but we know that McGill and Ottawa will have home ice in the first round and that the two road teams will be U of T and Ottawa. BTW, if McGill and Ottawa end up tied for 3rd (would require a McGill loss against RMC and an Ottawa win against Nipissing), Ottawa has the tie breaker.

In the West, on the other hand, going into the final game for most (and final two for Windsor and Waterloo), the only thing that is certain is that Western will finish first - every other slot is in flux, including the eight and last slot that is currently held by Brock but will go to UOIT if they beat Laurier tonight. It's great - I don't ever remember there being this much playoff uncertainlty at this point in the season - every game tonight, and the game tormorrow, matters.
Highlights of Laurier vs Guelph from earlier this week:

You are right that the standings are close, one game left in the entire OUA West schedule, and places 3-6 have yet to be established. Western now set to play UOIT, Lakehead to play York, and Guelph/Windsor to play Laurier/Waterloo. Laurier lost 6-5 against UOIT tonight in their opportunity to clinch 5th.

While Laurier has been hot, they have struggled with injury. The team over the past 2 years have leaned heavily on their top trio of RW Mitch Good, LW Tyler Stothers and C Mitch Lebar. Two weeks ago, their leading scorer (only player PPG or better on the team) Tyler Stothers suffered what is being labeled as a season ending knee injury. Mitch Lebar, their top centre has not played since Jan25, and has only played 5 of the 12 games following the Christmas break. Despite this, Laurier still managed to finish strong 9-3 in the second half.

Laurier is a structured team with a strong goaltender, but sometimes struggles to score, as they are are not a high flying offensive team (their 83 goals for is tied for worst in the OUA West). Injuries to these key players are not good. Hopefully at least Lebar is back for the playoffs. As well, last year's key second half player and former Kitchener Ranger Mike Mascioli has now officially missed every game this season. They will have to hope their all rookie second line of Greg Cerlli, Ryan Lopes and Trent Hawke can come through. After 1 point in the first 8 games, Hawke developed well in his first year with Laurier, finishing his final 16 games with 21 points.

For the rest of the OUA, this year's playoffs is anybody's guess. So far I take Western in 2 against UOIT and Lakehead in 3 against York.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 02-09-2013 at 09:43 PM.
blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:02 AM
northvanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
You are right that the standings are close, one game left in the entire OUA West schedule, and places 3-6 have yet to be established.
Actually, 2nd place is still up in the air. A Windsor win over Waterloo this afternoon gives them 2nd place. A regulation loss gives Lakehead second place. An OT or SO loss by Windsor opens up a very interesting scenario because they, Lakehead, and Guelph would have identical records. I'm not sure how you work through the tie-breakers: Windsor has the tie-breaker over Lakehead; Lakehead has the tie-breaker over Guelph; Guelph as the tie-breaker over Windsor. I'm pretty sure they taught us how to solve for this in high school algebra - lol. It may go to tie-breaking procedure #4 in the post above (record within division).

Old
02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
lakeheadu

Quote:
Actually, 2nd place is still up in the air. A Windsor win over Waterloo this afternoon gives them 2nd place. A regulation loss gives Lakehead second place. An OT or SO loss by Windsor opens up a very interesting scenario because they, Lakehead, and Guelph would have identical records. I'm not sure how you work through the tie-breakers: Windsor has the tie-breaker over Lakehead; Lakehead has the tie-breaker over Guelph; Guelph as the tie-breaker over Windsor. I'm pretty sure they taught us how to solve for this in high school algebra - lol. It may go to tie-breaking procedure #4 in the post above (record within division).
I think we would get 2nd if Windsor loses in OT. 3 way tie. 1st tiebreaker is wins - all tied. Next head to head in games vs each other. Lakehead 5-3-0, Windsor 3-3-1, Guelph 3-3-1. Then go back to head to head to break the tie for 3rd. Guelph beat Windsor 2 out of 3.

Windsor win in regulation or OT:
2) Windsor 3) Lakehead 4) Guelph

Windsor loss in regulation or OT:
2) Lakehead 3) Guelph 4) Windsor

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:24 AM
cishockeyfan

Looks like some competitive playoffs this year in the aus and oua could be any combo of 4 teams going out west this year.

CW looks the same it does each year. Looks like it will be Alberta joining the host huskies at the university cup with a chance of Manitoba (home ice is the difference). Same three teams at the bottom of the conference as they are every year joined by new comer Mount Royal. And the always sandwiched in the middle Calgary Dinos

My guess at the university cup teams is

Alberta, Saskatchewan, Western, Carleton, UNB and St Marys

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Rob

Can't wait for playoffs to get started. As has already been mentioned the OUA West looks very intriguing.

My early guess for the nationals is:

Alberta, Western, UQTR, UNB, St Marys and Saskatchewan*.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:15 PM
SnipeShow91

Everyone wants to predict the nationals. Last time I checked there are playoff rounds to play before you get there! Who wants to do predict some playoff match ups. I'll use my reasoning for the OUA East rounds while I just predict the other match ups.

AUS:
3) Acadia vs. 6) UdeM (Acadia in 2)
4) St. FX vs. 5) UPEI (UPEI in 3)

OUA East:
1) UQTR vs. 8) Ryerson
-The key for Ryerson is to try and outmuscle a more skilled UQTR team, especially with their top line of Payne, Buck and McDonaugh. Jamie Wise needs to come through huge for the Rams. Ryerson has used 3 goalies evenly all season and all 3 can be suspect. UQTR holds the advantage in skill, speed, system and in goal, if they can handle the chaoticness of Ryerson, they will win in 2.

2) Carleton vs. 7) Queen's
-Carleton destroyed Queen's in both matchups, including one in Kingston I went to go scout for RMC. Queen's is not very big on the back end other than Stephane Chabot, and Carleton's game is physical play below the hashmarks. In the two games, Carleton dominated both zones and use their underrated speed to fly past the Gaels. If the Gaels have a chance, their goalie Riley Whitlock needs to outplay Matthew Dopud from Carleton. Carleton in 2.

3) McGill vs. 6) Nipissing
-IF McGill had a full line up, I would easily pick them in 2 games over Nipissing. But when RMC played McGill on saturday night, they had 14 healthy skaters with 1 guy suspended the night previous and a lot of long term injuries. We showed them respect when we should have done what Nipissing will do, especially on wednesday night in North Bay when they will bash and smash McGill's defensemen. Nipissing wins in 2.

4) Ottawa vs. 5) Toronto
-The closest competition in the OUA East playoff will be Toronto and Ottawa. While Toronto has the edge in net with Garrett Sheehan and Brett Willows, a healthy Alexandre Touchette and Luc-Olivier Blain will be key to the Gee-Gees success. If the defense can shut down Toronto's top line of Markovic, Kay and Preston, they will win the series in 2. If not, we have a battle on our hands. 2 very even teams.

OUA West
1) Western vs. UOIT (Western in 2)
2) Windsor vs. York (Windsor in 3)
3) Lakehead vs. Waterloo (Lakehead in 3)
4) Guelph vs. 5) Laurier (Laurier in 3)

CW
3) Manitoba vs. 6) Regina (Manitoba in 2)
4) Calgary vs 5) UBC (Calgary in 2)

Old
02-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Rob

Yeah, I caught some of the McGill vs RMC game online. The Redmen bench looked really short. I guess one player is suspended for three games into the playoffs.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:27 PM
northvanman

OUA East
UQTR over Ryerson in 2
Carleton over Queen's in 2
McGill over Nipissing in 3
Ottawa over Toronto in 2

OUA West
Western over UOIT in 2
Windsor over York in 3
Lakehead over Waterloo in 2
Laurier over Guelph in 3

Although I like Lakehead over Waterloo, I think whovever wins the first game will take the series. I expect the games in the west to all be close and upsets are possible in every series (although UOIT over Western would be a shocker).

Last edited by northvanman: 02-12-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

FWIW here's my picks. I don't believe in saying 2 or 3 because I have seen toss-ups go 2 and one-sided go 3.

Manitoba whip Regina - tough to win being outshot by 20.

Calgary barely over UBC - one of these years UBC will put it together

St FX over UPEI - the Jeremies have been better but I ain't buyin the hype from the mutineers.

Acadia over Moncton - at one time the Cajuns were threatening to be #1 and Moncton was in A level.

W. Ontario over UOIT - the Urban Cowboys will probably lose once.

Windsor over York - last year the Lancers were the surprise team.
Lakehead over Waterloo - year of the Thundermutt.

Guelph over Laurier - it looks like Laurier has cooled off.

Ryerson over UQTR - the Patsies backed in.

Carleton over Queen's - the Q team always looked bad when I saw them.

Nipissing over McGill - any team that almost lost to RMC .....

Ottawa over Toronto - don't like either team.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:42 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Nipissing over McGill - any team that almost lost to RMC
Every team except Toronto in the OUA East ALMOST lost to RMC, except Concordia, they didn't beat us.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:13 AM
northvanman

Quote:
Guelph over Laurier - it looks like Laurier has cooled off.
Huh? Laurier went 9-3 in the second half and won 4 of their last 5 games - the loss to UOIT was against a desparate team who's entire season was riding on that one game. If anything, Guelph has cooled off, going 4-3 over their last 7 (including a 3-0 loss to Laurier)

Old
02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Huh? Laurier went 9-3 in the second half and won 4 of their last 5 games - the loss to UOIT was against a desparate team who's entire season was riding on that one game. If anything, Guelph has cooled off, going 4-3 over their last 7 (including a 3-0 loss to Laurier)
agree, Guelph has cooled off since Maxwell left to play in Russia.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:34 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Acadia is upset on home ice by Moncton 7-5, after out shooting Les Aigles 60-24 in the first game of the best of 3. UPEI beats X 4-3 in game 1 in Antigonish.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:54 PM
blackmarketmob

Results so far tonight:

Windsor gets by York 3-2 in OT
Carleton pounds Queens 10-2
Nipissing over McGill 4-2
Waterloo 7-2 against Lakehead (Lakehead now has 2 at home in Thunder Bay)
UQTR up 4-2 against Ryerson
Toronto and Ottawa tied 2-2

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote