HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How's Otter doin?

Old
02-04-2013, 10:02 PM
haf

vCash: 500
How's Otter doin?

Stars fan here. Been a few games and thought I would ask you guys how he's doin.

since you're going to ask....Roy looks...injured. sounds familiar yeah?

thanks in advance!

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
Stars fan here. Been a few games and thought I would ask you guys how he's doin.

thanks in advance!
You serious about Roy?? I watched all his shifts the 1st period. Must have just happened?

Otter's working hard, and hitting people. Fighting when frustrated, so he's all in it seems. Right now there's zero chemistry in the bottom 9, so that's not his fault.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Plays with great energy and leads the team in hits by a large margin, and seems like a great guy in his interviews so I'd guess he is a good locker room presence. Been about what I expected, I guess I'd like to see him get on opposing players nerves a bit more.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:13 PM
sabresfan129103

The first couple games were great. He hasn't been as noticeable lately though.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
McTank

He finishes his hits, we need more offense from him but I think that will come

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
haf

roy's back tonight. missed 5 games i think with a groin. he just hasn't found a rhythm yet. i am scared of his perpetual injuries though.

Otter will tease you with some skill, just not consistently enough. He makes all of the little plays however, and that does show up more when a line gets some chemistry.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:34 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Why his ToI has diminished so much the last few games has me concerned he's hurt

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Why his ToI has diminished so much the last few games has me concerned he's hurt
He didn't skate today at practice too

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Daz28

Quote:
roy's back tonight. missed 5 games i think with a groin. he just hasn't found a rhythm yet. i am scared of his perpetual injuries though.

Otter will tease you with some skill, just not consistently enough. He makes all of the little plays however, and that does show up more when a line gets some chemistry.
Oh ya, in today's game winning battles can be as important as getting points, esp in the playoffs.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:47 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:

thanks in advance!
Steve Ott is the latest victim of Lindy Ruff.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Steve Ott is the latest victim of Lindy Ruff.
Steve Ott is the victim of people overrating him based on his play 3 years ago.

He scores 12 and 11 goals in his last two NHL seasons, and more likely than not, that's what you can expect from him.

He's a capable two-way 3rd liner, a pest and an agitator, but people shouldn't expect him to stand out every shift.

He'll have good games and bad, and right now, he's very quiet and I barely notice him out there.

Mind you, I'm still a bit miffed we traded an elite #2 C on a good contract for a 3rd line agitator, but... Whatever...

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Steve Ott is the victim of people overrating him based on his play 3 years ago.

He scores 12 and 11 goals in his last two NHL seasons, and more likely than not, that's what you can expect from him.

He's a capable two-way 3rd liner, a pest and an agitator, but people shouldn't expect him to stand out every shift.

He'll have good games and bad, and right now, he's very quiet and I barely notice him out there.

Mind you, I'm still a bit miffed we traded an elite #2 C on a good contract for a 3rd line agitator, but... Whatever...
My expectation were what he showed us in the Philly game. He hasn't brought that style of play since. It seems both players haven't lived up to expectations.

And that elite 2nd line center is having an injury riddled season. He's becoming injury prone. Even when he's in he hasn't looked too dangerous. I don't think the addition of Roy would have any positive impact on our team or record.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
My expectation were what he showed us in the Philly game. He hasn't brought that style of play since. It seems both players haven't lived up to expectations.

And that elite 2nd line center is having an injury riddled season. He's becoming injury prone. Even when he's in he hasn't looked too dangerous. I don't think the addition of Roy would have any positive impact on our team or record.
But that's not what everyone was saying about Roy before the trade. They were saying that merely excising him from the locker room would instantly make this team much better. Yeah, so, about that...

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:43 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
But that's not what everyone was saying about Roy before the trade. They were saying that merely excising him from the locker room would instantly make this team much better. Yeah, so, about that...
This year, Buffalo is 9th in the league in goals/game. Last year they were 17th in the league in goals/game. I'm not sure what Roy has to do with our **** defense which is why we're losing.

Losing Roy made Vanek a hell of a lot better.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
This year, Buffalo is 9th in the league in goals/game. Last year they were 17th in the league in goals/game. I'm not sure what Roy has to do with our **** defense which is why we're losing.
Losing one of the few players on our team who could play tougher minutes isn't a problem? Are we watching the same games? Tyler Ennis is our shutdown center, FFS. Would VHP have stopped scoring because Roy was here?? That's ludicrous.

Quote:
Losing Roy made Vanek a hell of a lot better.
Huh? Vanek wasn't even one of Roy's top five linemates last season.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
What's that have to do with my statement?

I can careless what anyone else was saying. If a player brings no positive impact to your teams success, which it seems is true in Roy's case, you get rid of him.

Trades are made based on needs. We'll say Roy is an apple and Ott is an orange. We have a bunch of apples already...aka undersized forwards with no grit, but we lack oranges (Pesty players who are strong on faceoffs and on the forecheck while also being able to PK and chip in a bit offensively). We actually lost that in Goose. So, an orange was extremely valuable to the Sabres, and we had a surplus of apples. It was a good trade.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
What's that have to do with my statement?

I can careless what anyone else was saying. If a player brings no positive impact to your teams success, which it seems is true in Roy's case, you get rid of him.

Trades are made based on needs. We'll say Roy is an apple and Ott is an orange. We have a bunch of apples already...aka undersized forwards with no grit, but we lack oranges (Pesty players who are strong on faceoffs and on the forecheck while also being able to PK and chip in a bit offensively). We actually lost that in Goose. So, an orange was extremely valuable to the Sabres, and we had a surplus of apples. It was a good trade.
We traded our only remaining center who can play mildly difficult defensive minutes and win around 50% of his faceoffs for a limited 3rd line winger. In no universe is that a good trade. The absolute best you can say about that trade is that it filled a hole and created one just as big, and possibly bigger (especially when you consider how lost Grigorenko is right now).

Old
02-05-2013, 02:59 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
We traded our only remaining center who can play mildly difficult defensive minutes and win around 50% of his faceoffs for a limited 3rd line winger. In no universe is that a good trade. The absolute best you can say about that trade is that it filled a hole and created one just as big, and possibly bigger (especially when you consider how lost Grigorenko is right now).
Agreed and I still like the Roy - Ott Trade. Regier just failed to bring in a shut down center to offset the loss. He left Lindy high and dry when it came to our current C situation.

As for Grigorenko, I wanted him back in junior after five games. This is not an ideal situation to be developing a young player with his type of skill set in. (Lost on the third line)

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote