HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with Dubnyk in net now and in the future?

View Poll Results: are you happy with dubnyk in net?
yes 78 26.44%
no 81 27.46%
will give him one more year 68 23.05%
too early to tell, he is sill developing 48 16.27%
Oilers need a backup who can play more games to give him a break 20 6.78%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-05-2013, 12:47 PM
OilCanada92

vCash: 500
He's too low. Gotta stand up all the goals I can remember fly over his shoulders. Guy has 85% figured out in his goaltending just needs to stand a challenge the offender.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Ogopogo*

Dubnyk cost us another game last night. I gotta say, he sucks big fat rhinoceros dick.

If he hasn't learned how to keep the brutal ones out by now, he never will. He is not the long-term answer here, you cannot win a cup with a guy that lets crap goals in with the game on the line.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Eytinge

The frustrating thing about DD is the fact he is always good for at least one soft goal a game. He loses focus in net too often for my liking.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Dubnyk cost us another game last night. I gotta say, he sucks big fat rhinoceros dick.

If he hasn't learned how to keep the brutal ones out by now, he never will. He is not the long-term answer here, you cannot win a cup with a guy that lets crap goals in with the game on the line.
That's simply a lie and you have an ax to grind. Get over yourself and see things for what they are, geez

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Matt19Oilers

Aside from a brutal 1st period against SJ and a mediocre game against Calgary (neither being completely his fault), he has been fantastic. Too early to tell if he is the goalie of the future for the Oilers, but I think it definitely looks like he COULD be.

One thing I know for sure; without him standing on his head most nights, the Oilers likely only have 2 wins at the moment instead of 4. The Oilers have been getting badly outplayed in the 3rd period of most games, and he has been the one preserving the leads or at least keeping it close. It's about time the team came out and gave him an easier 3rd period where he doesn't face like 20 shots. A goalie can definitely win you a game, but he shouldn't have to bail the team out EVERY night.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:

Absolutely absurd. Anyone with even the slightest understanding of the game of hockey knows that Dubnyk was the only reason the Oilers got a point last night.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:06 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post

Absolutely absurd. Anyone with even the slightest understanding of the game of hockey knows that Dubnyk was the only reason the Oilers got a point last night.
Yes. That's a nobrainer.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Aerchon

I was one of those who after the first 4 games thought Dub looked horrible. He had 5 very weak goals in 4 games and just wasnt insipiring me. I thought his rebound control was pathetic. Bad positioning. And he went down way way too early in those first 4 games.

I am happy to say Ive done a complete turn around. Dub has played very well over the last 5 games. Still let in a bad goal every couple games but not his typical one minimum per game. Rebound control much better. Much better positioing. And he is keeping his feet under him a bit more.

I think someone else mentioned he is giving the team a chance to win every night and over the last 5 games I would completely agree.

He has me convinced through this last 5 games he is a deserved starter. Our losses have not been his fualt but a lack of scoring and some bad defensive turnovers (mostly by whitney).

I do think he needs a rest tho. No matter how well conditioned a goalie is playing any of them this much IMO is just asking for an injury.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:32 PM
topchowda

Dubynk makes 7 amazing saves to bail his team out then lets in a goal thats 100% a result of bad defensive play and hes guilty somehow..

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Musashi

Dubnyk by far has been the best Oiler so far this season

He is the main reason we have got any points this year

Pretty funny for a guy who we need to just be a capable starter because we have so much firepower in a lineup

Ogopogo, epic

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Dubnyk has been excellent. If the team could score a goal once in a while, we would have won at least 2 more games.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Yes. That's a nobrainer.
I disagree, Dubey always lets in soft goals. It doesn't matter how many BIG saves he makes when he continually lets in the softies. He has been letting in a softy a game for a long time now. Many of the "big saves" he has made have also been because of his juicy rebounds!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
I disagree, Dubey always lets in soft goals. It doesn't matter how many BIG saves he makes when he continually lets in the softies. He has been letting in a softy a game for a long time now. Many of the "big saves" he has made have also been because of his juicy rebounds!
Agreed. Its almost better for a young team's mentality if he lets in breakaway rather than letting in a soft unscreened shot.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Agreed. Its almost better for a young team's mentality if he lets in breakaway rather than letting in a soft unscreened shot.
Exactly.

This team is not yet good enough to get over the softies. An 'elite' goalie wins that game for the Oilers.

Maybe he's getting tired and needs a night off.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Hallzy4

I think Dubnyk will do good as our fist goalie!

Hallzy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Dubynk makes 7 amazing saves to bail his team out then lets in a goal thats 100% a result of bad defensive play and hes guilty somehow..
I thought Dub played great as well but lets not make things up. The D played a solid game and kept most those chances to the outside.

He was guilty of the first goal. Very weak goal.

Second goal was a screen and deflection from hall. Saveable but not weak.

Third goal very little chance to save.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Lacaar

I'm happy with Dubnyk so long as he remains relatively cheap.. I'm not paying him more than 4 mill.

The way this game is played in the NHL now days there's not much to chose between goalies. Too many are unpredictable because the skill has been taken out of the position. It's really just that now.. a game of position.

I read Vancouver was all over us and we deserve to lose. Yet no one is saying Luongo crapped the bed by letting us in it.

Goalie's job is to look big and block shots. They make the occasional save but they're rare. It always saddens me to see what used to be the most exciting position in hockey now become the most mundane.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:03 PM
KarlssonnSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Dubnyk by far has been the best Oiler so far this season

He is the main reason we have got any points this year

Pretty funny for a guy who we need to just be a capable starter because we have so much firepower in a lineup

Ogopogo, epic
THIS. I've seen all the games except for last nights game, and Hall and Dubnyk have been the two most impressive players for the oilers this season. Dubnyk has kept us in every game except for one game.

As for the poll, he does let in some soft goals so I don't know if he'd be ideal in a cup push. However, seeing as we are a couple years away from that (arguably only one with the right offseason), I would keep Dubnyk until he gives us a reason not to.

KarlssonnSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:28 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I'm happy with Dubnyk so long as he remains relatively cheap.. I'm not paying him more than 4 mill.

The way this game is played in the NHL now days there's not much to chose between goalies. Too many are unpredictable because the skill has been taken out of the position. It's really just that now.. a game of position.

I read Vancouver was all over us and we deserve to lose. Yet no one is saying Luongo crapped the bed by letting us in it.

Goalie's job is to look big and block shots. They make the occasional save but they're rare. It always saddens me to see what used to be the most exciting position in hockey now become the most mundane.
The skill in the position is at an all time high. What you refer to as "just" a game of position, is the most demanding job in pro sports.

Take Dubnyk for instance:
6'5
Quick as a cat
Strong enough to propel himself, while on his knees, from one post to the other in the blink of an eye (try this one day if you think it's easy).

Despite all of these tremendous advantages he still lets weak goals in and gets vilified around here (sometimes by me). Being an NHL goaltender is literally a game of inches requiring an unreal amount of focus and precision. Last night Dubnyk was off his post a second prematurely and got burnt by Hansen, he misplayed the angle on Bieksa's shot by a couple inches and got burnt again.

No one in hockey is as smart or as focused as Henrik Lundqvist. The guy maintains nearly perfect angles despite playing really deep in his crease. Jonathan Quick is an amazing skater and has the most remarkable combination of control and raw atheleticism that I've seen in any hockey player.

There's a reason that goaltenders take so long to develop: the position is friggin hard.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
oilexport

Dubnyk has grown on me. A lot of other smaller goalies would have to make incredible saves to equal Dubnyk's easy saves. Considering his save % is very good on a iffy defence, he gets a passing mark from me so far.

He is a NHL goaltender, that much I have learned.

He has to work on his game a little more (focus on 60 mins) to become a true number #1 lights out guy but he's very close right now.

oilexport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:42 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

disagree, different goalies have better strenths. Smaller athletic vs. bigger positional guys. Both are effective but it seems like a good combo of size and athletics is dominating, Quick, Thomas, henrik, and Kipper are 6 ft range (give or take) and athletic but these guys don't grow on trees...

oilexport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:42 PM
oilfaninvan

Surprised there are so many "No" votes. Lets take this poll again after a shutout.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That's simply a lie and you have an ax to grind. Get over yourself and see things for what they are, geez
Funny how many people are blind to Dubnyk and Hemsky's inadequacies. I think it is because we struggled so much over the past few years, people are quite satisfied with mediocrity.

He stops two brutal goals and we win 2-1 in regulation. You are lying to yourself to believe otherwise.

Unless the guy learns to stop those bad goals, he will never be a legitimate starter that can help us to a playoff run. Since he has been doing it since his junior days in Kamloops, I have no illusions that he will ever figure it out. He will be a good backup when we get a better goalie to be our #1.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Funny how many people are blind to Dubnyk and Hemsky's inadequacies. I think it is because we struggled so much over the past few years, people are quite satisfied with mediocrity.

He stops two brutal goals and we win 2-1 in regulation. You are lying to yourself to believe otherwise.

Unless the guy learns to stop those bad goals, he will never be a legitimate starter that can help us to a playoff run. Since he has been doing it since his junior days in Kamloops, I have no illusions that he will ever figure it out. He will be a good backup when we get a better goalie to be our #1.
Right now he is playing better than guys like Quick, Lundqvist and Rinne.

It is still early in the season, and he will never be a lights out Goalie but he has done phenomenally well.

He is our starter until he proves otherwise...

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Simple question.

Are you happy with Dubnyk in net?
Or are concerns over his play becoming more and more obvious?
Dubnyk's team is getting outshot every game, some of them by a ton, currently sits 7th in the league in save % despite a 1 period meltdown earlier this year. And you're concerned about what?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote