HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Worst 5 crowds

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post
Really? Why? Don't you guys sell out every game? I assumed Pittsburgh had a decent crowd.
It is a decent crowd...but it suffers from the same issues that Toronto does - the suits dominate the lower bowl. Penguins tickets became a status symbol and once it became clear that the fans were willing to pay the prices just kept going up. A 10,000 strong season ticket waiting list with >99.9% retention will do that.

The extreme majority of the lower bowl is filled with suits and their teenage daughters who can't be bothered to look up from their iPhones to watch the game. Trust me when I say it, though...that crowd was louder when there were 13,000 people at Mellon Arena most nights than Consol is now. A far more affluent (and coincidentally, older) crowd will do that.

But I'll take the passive suits over the student crowd any day of the week...we're not spending to the cap with a bunch of college kids paying $20 to sit in the 3rd row.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Coyotes...their crowd is usually invisible or non-existent
When they Yotes were terrible I would blame the visiting teams fans for not coming out in a enough force. During all of 06-07 it seemed that there were more visiting team fans then there were Yotes Fans. Pittsburgh, Detroit and Toronto nights were pretty cool though, near sell outs.

I would have to think there are quite a few fans in PHX that are just not willing to invest in tickets for a team that they are not sure will even be there next year.

The one game I went to in SJ (last year game 3 Vs. the Blues) was strange, everyone heckled the crap out of my Father-in-law and myself for wearing Blues jersey's. But after each of them heckled me they apologized, nice folks, but I suppose they were worried we were going to be like visiting Blackhawk fans..........they thanked us for not being like Blackhawk fans. CHI, the only rink I had been to where I had beer tossed on me for wearing a Blues jersey. We used to go every year to see the April CHI vs. STL games in CHI.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Duck Pond was real quiet, as usual. You could hear the Sharks fans there.
Really, you could? Cause I sure as hell didn't. And I'm also 100% sure this post has nothing to do with the fact you guys just got beat.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:30 AM
awfulwaffle

Just going to throw in a defense of the Coyotes fans that go to games in the regular season. Last year against Columbus, during a PK, Boyd Gordon blocked 2 shots in succession, and was limping off the ice, but the crowd was on their feet cheering him on while play was still going on and he was barely able to move side to side.

Same game, Smith stopped some 51 shots(can't remember exact amount), but he got peppered. After yet another great save, the crowd was on their feet chanting "Smitty! Smitty!" What more is a crowd supposed to do in a hockey game to not be looked down on?

Old
02-05-2013, 12:58 AM
HarveySpecter

Florida is the most boring place to watch my team play on tv. It's so quiet and there is nobody there.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

You guys should pay attention to Wings games. So many empty seats at the Joe. It's been that way for a couple of seasons now. Guess they've jumped off the bandwagon since the Wings have been fairly mediocre the past few years.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:12 AM
MastuhNinks

I've only ever been in the nosebleeds in the ACC so my experiences in the crowd have been awesome. Too bad about the suits I guess.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:18 AM
wiredmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
Ottawa > Vancouver. Vancouver's crowd is absolutely awful.
Not a chance.

I've seen a handful of games at Scotiabank place (I'm from the West Coast but did my undergrad degree out east), and if there weren't Vancouver fans Luuuuing there wouldn't have been any noise in that building at all.

Edit: But the lower bowl of Rogers Arena is ****ing awful. Even during the playoffs it's a disgrace.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:46 AM
Vip
Das it mane

vCash: 50
I have watched a few Ottawa games in which the crowd was very very quite the whole game (save for goals ofcourse).

Old
02-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Getz2perry

Socal fans cant make 7:30 games on time, why do opposing fans think well make 7 o clock games on time?

Old
02-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Vip
Das it mane

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Just going to throw in a defense of the Coyotes fans that go to games in the regular season. Last year against Columbus, during a PK, Boyd Gordon blocked 2 shots in succession, and was limping off the ice, but the crowd was on their feet cheering him on while play was still going on and he was barely able to move side to side.

Same game, Smith stopped some 51 shots(can't remember exact amount), but he got peppered. After yet another great save, the crowd was on their feet chanting "Smitty! Smitty!" What more is a crowd supposed to do in a hockey game to not be looked down on?
The few fans that go to Phoenix games try to get things going. They die off pretty quick though. We are just as passionate as all the other die-hards out there. Just not as many of us

Old
02-05-2013, 01:51 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangibles View Post
Florida is the most boring place to watch my team play on tv. It's so quiet and there is nobody there.
This is incredibly incorrect.

Florida is full of snowbirds, and often when northern teams come down the building is filled with a mixed group of fans, making fora rowdy atmosphere.

We've also sold out every game (albeit 4) this season. Success (even just making the playoffs) goes a long way in a market like that. The building was ****ing electric in the playoffs. Didn't even know Panther fans could cheer like that.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am not sure the ticket prices in every arena, but for the Pens they range around $60 to $225 or so a ticket, with most tickets around $100. Of course the suites are much more. In any event, do the math. Just for the regular season that would be almost $11,000 for a family of four for the cheapest seats in the house. $18,000 plus for most of the tickets for a family of four for the season. Over $40,000 per year for a family of four for those lower level seats in the middle of the arena. That does not include parking, food, merchandise. Or postseason tickets which are at least 50% more in price.

I suspect a lot of other arenas are similar or worse.

Honestly, I am not sure what people want. It is a gate driven sport. At those prices you are going to have a lot of 'suits' who foot the bills. Are people surprised that 'suits' act like suits? I sometime think that people complain just to complain even when they know the reality.
Good point but that doesn't mean that we need to embrace their elitist mentality.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post

Nice that there were some knowledgable fans there to show appreciation for such noble efforts by your players. Other than that actually showing up would help the fan base to not be looked down upon.

Serious question, what is the price range for tics in Phoenix? I know I could look it up but if you know the answer then I won't need to.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
Good point but that doesn't mean that we need to embrace their elitist mentality.
So wearing a suit to a hockey game and sitting in the lower bowl implies you are an elitist? Stereotype much?

Isles games are fun. If you like 9,000 people with half of them being kids, its a great atmosphere. If it's bad weather -- make it 6,000.

That being said, if/when there is a playoff series, that old place holds the noise.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

So let me get this...

Huge fan bases are looked down upon because they have too many "suits" in the lower bowls. And non traditional crowds are looked down upon for not having enough suits? Serious question: Who wins here?

Old
02-05-2013, 01:06 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Phoenix wins this one hands down, surreal atmosphere there.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Wolfpack21

Quote:
Originally Posted by beached whaler View Post
So let me get this...

Huge fan bases are looked down upon because they have too many "suits" in the lower bowls. And non traditional crowds are looked down upon for not having enough suits? Serious question: Who wins here?
Montreal and Winn

Old
02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan2390 View Post
(...) Leafs fans are rabidly insane on the road, but home games are super uninspiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Yeah, this thread isn't going to turn into fanbase bashing at all.
I had the same initial reaction, but then realised this is about "home crowds" and not "fan bases".

The OP made a great job of making that distinction.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:16 PM
LeTANGled58

I don't think loud crowd=good crowd. Don't get me wrong I love a crazy building or stadium (one of the reasons I like college football so much) but just because we arent screaming and cheering for 60 minutes doesn't mean we don't care or arent fans.

I have been watching and following hockey since 2000, but when I go to pens games I don't partake in all the let's go pens chants, and do "the wave". I enjoying sitting and watching the game, and cheering for goals, or good plays. I will be louder in the playoffs because it is more intense.

But, to play along with the thread, the CONSOL is way quieter than the mellon used to be for sure. I was at Game six of the 09 finals and I thought the mellon was going to collapse from the noise

Old
02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Teams that sellout shouldn't be on the list. I admit Edmonton's crowd can be quiet but teams like Phoenix, Dallas, Florida are quiet and hardly anyone shows up..

Old
02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
Montreal by far. Fans have a serious serious sense of entitlement.

The rest are the teams that don't get fans to the games.
Montreal has the most annoying crowd for a fan of a rival team.

But to mention it as "the worst crowd" is almost a blasphemy.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:45 PM
devils1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
So wearing a suit to a hockey game and sitting in the lower bowl implies you are an elitist? Stereotype much?

Isles games are fun. If you like 9,000 people with half of them being kids, its a great atmosphere. If it's bad weather -- make it 6,000.

That being said, if/when there is a playoff series, that old place holds the noise.
I remember a game last year at the NVMC vs the Devils. That building gets LOUD when it's packed and the Isles are winning. If the Isles were a good team (which it seems like this may be one of those years) and the fans come out, I'd say the Isles could easily be top 10.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beached whaler View Post
So let me get this...

Montreal, because our suits drink and yell

Old
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
ClasslessGuy

Couple years ago I would've put Ottawa in that top 5 but not anymore.

Closed Thread