HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 12:20 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 500
This Mike Liut interview was obviously initiated by the station.

On Friday on the morning show, Ray Ferraro says "Mike Liut must be furious with this situation". Producer goes "Liut .... hmmmm".

Next thing you know you have the station interviewing Mike Liut. And Liut said nothing controversial. Yes, Cory wants to play. Yes, they would like him to get hte majority of the starts. Yes - they understand the situation and will have to be patient.

These guys are just manufacturing controversy.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
I agree in the off season I think his value decreases, I know Nucks fans will disagree and that's fine. But Luit talking about the situation and making comments that can or will be taken out of context, though I am not sure how some can be, doesn't help Gillis' cause, IMO.
So according to HF posters, since his value before the season was a bag of pucks, his value must decrease to half a bag of pucks in the off season.
Vancouver will take the risk on losing out on the redundant assets and keep a top 5-10 goalie unless the offers improve.
In the meantime those teams with questionable goaltending can keep telling us how they are in the drivers' seat while Vancouver with two great goalies is screwed.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:28 PM
marty111

Old
02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

On Friday on the morning show, Ray Ferraro says "Mike Liut must be furious with this situation". Producer goes "Liut .... hmmmm".

Next thing you know you have the station interviewing Mike Liut. And Liut said nothing controversial. Yes, Cory wants to play. Yes, they would like him to get hte majority of the starts. Yes - they understand the situation and will have to be patient.

I hate to break it to you but 99% of the time, that's how it works.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Jarko2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo was the reason the Canucks got to game 7 of the SCF. Without him we may not even make it to the SCF, and we certainly don't make it to game 7 if we did make it that far. And where do you get that he hasn't been good internationally? Luongo has been stellar internationally.

Repeating this over and over assuming everyone has forgotten the details doesn't make it true. Luongo was pulled in the SCF before game 7 by a coach who has been his biggest backer. The games the Canucks won were defensive battles where Luongo was great. Then there was the opposite, where he let then down. Canucks didn't lose the SCF because of Luongo but with consistent, great goaltender (like Quick or Thomas that year), they didn't need 7 games to win that series.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:31 PM
The Saurus

When was it ever in doubt that Robert would provide another one or two years of solid goaltending? He's an older veteran signed to a decade-long contract. That hasn't changed and was the main sticking point on discussions of value.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:33 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
Repeating this over and over assuming everyone has forgotten the details doesn't make it true. Luongo was pulled in the SCF before game 7 by a coach who has been his biggest backer. The games the Canucks won were defensive battles where Luongo was great. Then there was the opposite, where he let then down. Canucks didn't lose the SCF because of Luongo but with consistent, great goaltender (like Quick or Thomas that year), they didn't need 7 games to win that series.
That's not very accurate, IMO. Luongo won the games he could win. If you can show me any goalie who wins a series when his team scores 8 goals in 7 games then I'll acknowledge your point.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:36 PM
RECsGuy*

For good measure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
In response to Liut's remarks that Luongo be dealt ASAP to make way for his client...

@benkuzma
Gillis on Schneider: "We are conscious of ice time and we have to win games. We don't have the luxury of peoples' feelings."

https://twitter.com/benkuzma/status/298836447979528192

Break out the popcorn, folks. As time winds down, patience is wearing thin.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:49 PM
BlackRedYellow

Quote:
For good measure...
I'm feeling that Schneider's agent is going to demand a move if Luongo keeps getting more starts or overshadowing Schneider, despite what Botchford says

Old
02-05-2013, 12:52 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeger View Post
I'm feeling that Schneider's agent is going to demand a move if Luongo keeps getting more starts or overshadowing Schneider, despite what Botchford says
Funniest part about Liut's comments is they put a TON of pressure on Cory, because if Vigneault decides to appease Liut/Schneider by giving Cory the Wild game (a start which Luongo has earned), and Cory ***** the bed (3 gols against or more), sweet jesus will there be a **** storm.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:57 PM
caribouPINE

Luongo is and has handled this whole situation with absolute class.

It's become clear that Cory is in the ear of his agent and now some may question his character. If Lu can smile and play hockey under less than ideal circumstances then surely Schneider can for a couple weeks?

If I were a Canucks fan I'd be worried. Very worried that we will end up trading Luongo, the better, more team oriented keeper than Cory, the narcissistic, individualistic, game-elevating-while-there-is-less-pressure-on-me type of guy. Not a guy I want to hand the keys too.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:58 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Luongo is playing just like he always does during the season. Always plays well, problem is once he gets in the playoffs and his success has not been that great in Van or internationally. I like Lu but I think he would be a better playoff performer elsewhere where he isn't the face of the franchise. When he had a bad game someone else had to step up and no one ever did.

I think the return will be a lot less than some believe. Toronto is not hard up for him since they don't have a good enough team to warrant such a move. Florida? Wsh? Other than Florida, is there another team that will take the contract?
I was going to respond, but Y2k beat me to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That's just wrong.

Luongo was the reason the Canucks got to game 7 of the SCF. Without him we may not even make it to the SCF, and we certainly don't make it to game 7 if we did make it that far. And where do you get that he hasn't been good internationally? Luongo has been stellar internationally.

Luongo has been one of the best goalies in the NHL this season. We're perfectly happy to keep him.
Luongo has an excellent international resume...saying it any other way is an outright fallacy.

Canucks don't get to game 7 without Luongo in net period, end of discussion. 8 goals scored in 7 games....

Old
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Co Ho*

Some fans need to take a step back and think about this logically.
Schneider wants to be the starter, no doubt. But don't you think he'd rather be the starter for an improved roster, in other words, be patient with Luongo and Gillis so we can get the best possible return, which would benefit Schneider much more in the end?
And it's not like Gillis didn't discuss this with Schneider when they signed the contract last summer, I bet GMMG told Schneider and his agent that he's going to be patient with shopping Luongo and that it could take the whole season, but promised Schneider the starting spot for the long term plan for the franchise.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:04 PM
RECsGuy*

LOL @ Canucks fans using the "nothing to see here" approach concerning Liut's comments.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
LOL @ Canucks fans using the "nothing to see here" approach concerning Liut's comments.
He was called up by radio hosts, it would have been more significant if he came out of no where and started complaining. And if you pay attention to the details, his discourse demonstrates that they both knew this would be a process that wasn't going to be rushed and there will be a resolution. I bet at this time next year, this will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:10 PM
roach9

Quote:
There isn't anything to see though.
It's an agent's words being taken out of context.

Too many people don't like to acknowledge that media construes peoples' words to their own ends, but it DOES happen and it was proven to have happened here.

Move along now.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Numbers

Quote:
That is great. It doesn't really matter what agents say or anyone else because both goalies are locked up in multi year deals. There is nothing that anyone can do about it lol. It's not like Schneider is not going to show up to work if he doesn't get what he wants.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeger View Post
I could have told you guys that in the summer when Gillis PROMISED Schneider the job if he signed in spite of the fact Luongo hadnt been traded yet.

Schneider has eveyr right to be furious at Gillis but we cant get dry crap for Luongo. We need to move Cory.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:16 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
He was called up by radio hosts, it would have been more significant if he came out of no where and started complaining. And if you pay attention to the details, his discourse demonstrates that they both knew this would be a process that wasn't going to be rushed and there will be a resolution. I bet at this time next year, this will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Are you implying that the interview wasn't arranged in advance? If so, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:16 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

Controversial, maybe not but helpful, no. You can't give certain quotes in an intwerview and expect all to be ok, or just be able to say I was misquoted, lol.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:17 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
There isn't anything to see though.
It's an agent's words being taken out of context.

Too many people don't like to acknowledge that media construes peoples' words to their own ends, but it DOES happen and it was proven to have happened here.

Move along now.
Explain how.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Are you implying that the interview wasn't arranged in advance? If so, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Hahaha no, I mean it could be journalists looking for a story. His agent didn't really say anything that controversial anyways.
It's currently the biggest story in the NHL right now, media wants to capitalize.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
bcjonny

Cory best look in the mirror first. It comes down to winning and stopping the puck from entering the goal. If he does a better job of that then Luongo he will start more games.

You have to play the hot hand. Luongo played OK last night not as strong as previous starts. I say Cory gets the start and if he plays up to his capabilities he will get the next start too. If not, Luongo gets back in.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
roach9

Quote:
Explain how.
Sure:
This is a quote TSN dutifully redacted in their article, "We are not going to get into the finger-pointing game and to that end you have to take a step back and you have to give them latitude to make a business decision.

Read the full article.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:22 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Hahaha no, I mean it could be journalists looking for a story. His agent didn't really say anything that controversial anyways.
It's currently the biggest story in the NHL right now, media wants to capitalize.
Yeah yeah, we know.

The world hates the Canucks.

Toronto media conspiracy.

Anything else?

Closed Thread