HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2013, 05:01 PM
  #26
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures
 
Identity404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Like others have mentioned I can't help but be a little disappointed by Jordan's defensive game so far. He's been very good, but not great, though I think my expectations for him were a little to high to begin with.

Offensively, Jordan doesn't seem to be clicking yet, and you can see a bit of that frustration on the ice. He does a really good job protecting the puck and creating space for Skinner which is good, but I haven't seen much else. His game is very similar to Eric's, they almost look like brothers out there .

I'm very excited to have him on the Canes for the next 10 years.

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:12 PM
  #27
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 26,290
vCash: 500
He's made quite a few excellent passes to Skinner. They seem good together.

I'm not sure why they don't try to build powerplay lines off Eric-Semin and Jordan-Skinner. Mix and match Tlusty, Jokinen and maybe a younger guy or two where you see fit.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:02 PM
  #28
hiptanaka
Registered User
 
hiptanaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Woonsocket
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
I do miss Jordan Staal and I definitely think as Pens fans we tended to take him for granted sometimes. Also note that he' still only 24 and he probably hasnt hit his full potential yet. One thing that stood about this kid was how clutch he was for us during the playoffs the last few years. He was one of the Pens' best players during the '09 cup finals (as a 20 year-old) and went on a tear against Philly last year.

It sucks for the Pens to lose him but he just wasn't going to be happy in Pittsburgh in the long-term. Its good to hear you like him and that he's happy in Carolina; you guys are definitely in for a treat.

hiptanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:49 PM
  #29
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,711
vCash: 1505
I think the mild disappointment that some are displaying is a bit curious in its timing, as Jordan's sitting at a point per game right now.

As small a sample size as it is, he's producing like an 80-point player. I think it's only fair to save the nitpicking critique of his game for a time when he's not putting points on the board.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:28 AM
  #30
Mr America
Registered User
 
Mr America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I think the mild disappointment that some are displaying is a bit curious in its timing, as Jordan's sitting at a point per game right now.

As small a sample size as it is, he's producing like an 80-point player. I think it's only fair to save the nitpicking critique of his game for a time when he's not putting points on the board.
Word. He has been playing a great two way game. Not quite a full checking line role but he has had to be more defensively responsible than say Eric and the first line, even strength at least.


Then again I'm not somebody that turns there nose up at racking up lots of assists, at least somebody is scoring goals.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:08 AM
  #31
Roboturner913
Registered User
 
Roboturner913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I think the mild disappointment that some are displaying is a bit curious in its timing, as Jordan's sitting at a point per game right now.
I think some people were expecting an Eric twin with a little more flash. Jordan is a more workmanlike player. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Ron Francis.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
  #32
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
I think he's been fine. I've never seen him as the defensive specialist others have, just a very good player to have as a number three. Never thought e was much better than Eric at that part, to be honest. I think he's a better playmaker than Eric, not just from the pts but from watching the little in tight passes he makes, that Eric never does. He has better in tight puck control than Eric. Using the shorter stick helps him, often wished Eric would go a little shorter.

Otherwise they are very similar. Jordan seems to more naturally welcome body contact, an looks more comfortable rolling off it.

I think he's been exactly the same player he was there. The goals will come, takes big guys some time to get on a roll occasionally as we've seen with Eric. At least he's still very productive, we couldn't ask to have better top two centers. They were a handful for Toronto last night. I always watch the other teams feed, and they were very impressed with the staal based attack, and really showed semin a lot more respect than you're used to hearing. Like how he seems to have "bought in" here. They think we're loose defensively, with way to many forced passes and turnovers especially early. Called out both Faulk and mcbain about turnovers early on. Gushed about ward, talking about how he's obviously shaken off the rust.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
  #33
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
There is a reason Skinner is off to his best start. That reason in Jstaal.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:11 AM
  #34
TheBigKahuna
Registered User
 
TheBigKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canes Country
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminal Velocity View Post
There is a reason Skinner is off to his best start. That reason in Jstaal.
Eric and Skinny are both benefiting from having another threat on their line. Having only two great players, on different lines really allows the opponent to concentrate on shutting them down. When you add Jordan and Semin to the mix, you keep viable options open, or make it a LOT harder to shut down a line. This will also benefit Tlusty and Dwyer, or the winger du jour on that line.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
  #35
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I always watch the other teams feed
I'm just a little jealous of this. I don't mean to sidetrack this discussion, but I'm so averse to Tripp that I fast forward through the moments between a puck stoppage and the drop of the face-off. Literally like 10 seconds...just can't take it sometimes. It's not a good thing when your home color guy is unbearable.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:48 PM
  #36
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I'm just a little jealous of this. I don't mean to sidetrack this discussion, but I'm so averse to Tripp that I fast forward through the moments between a puck stoppage and the drop of the face-off. Literally like 10 seconds...just can't take it sometimes. It's not a good thing when your home color guy is unbearable.
You have to view it a lot like this board, 99% of the time you can't take it seriously or your mind will explode. Forslund is a top 5 PBP guy in the league so I've got no interest in watching the other feeds. The only exception right now is Dallas but that's because Darryl Reaugh is awesome.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:55 PM
  #37
Beardy*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I'm just a little jealous of this. I don't mean to sidetrack this discussion, but I'm so averse to Tripp that I fast forward through the moments between a puck stoppage and the drop of the face-off. Literally like 10 seconds...just can't take it sometimes. It's not a good thing when your home color guy is unbearable.
Once you learn that Tripp is the ultimate BS'er, and an incredible homer... you get used to it and actually start to enjoy it. You cannot take anything he says seriously. And as for him always blowing smoke up our skirts about the team, he's covering the Canes exclusively. He's likely under direction to be as homerific as possible.

He's certainly no worse than announcers from teams like NJ & Bos who's announcers openly whine and complain on air about every single thing that happens to their team, and the guy in Boston openly mocking injured players while they're laying on the ice.

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:56 PM
  #38
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,975
vCash: 500
Yeah, you tune out Tripp until he says something completely idioctic/off-topic and then you say "Wait...what?"

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
  #39
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
I also know to tune out Pierre McGuire, but that doesn't make it any easier.

I think the awesomeness of Forslund makes it even tougher, actually.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:03 PM
  #40
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
Forslund has come a long way, and I've witnessed all of it. I like him, and to be honest I don't truly hate Tripp. He's an annoyance at worst to me. I watch the other teams feed because its like getting 29 other views of your team, and how it's perceived in a more unbiased way. Everyone is complimentary, and they don't mind passing on straightforward criticism.

It's like last year when everyone was freaking out about Faulk and I was pretty lukewarm. The other teams broadcast would talk of how high we are with him and how we are willing to overlook the obvious rookie growing pains. Then they would show highlights and mention the rookie mistakes as the highlight played out. They would then talk of how much mcbain has imporved overall and refer to him as an obvious top 4 guy as if this is the league perception. Then id come on here after the game and everyone would hate on mcbain and talk of Faulk as if he was a gift straight from heaven. If I mentioned the turnovers or defended mcbain I'd get grief. It lead to a confused state that was relieved by watching the canes feed a game or two. They barely touch on anything negative about us. They certainly don't show slo mo analysis of mess ups that happen all game. Just the way it is.

And there are some great announcers out there that make it interesting in general. I like getting insight on the other teams as well.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
  #41
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
It's like last year when everyone was freaking out about Faulk and I was pretty lukewarm. The other teams broadcast would talk of how high we are with him and how we are willing to overlook the obvious rookie growing pains. Then they would show highlights and mention the rookie mistakes as the highlight played out. They would then talk of how much mcbain has imporved overall and refer to him as an obvious top 4 guy as if this is the league perception. Then id come on here after the game and everyone would hate on mcbain and talk of Faulk as if he was a gift straight from heaven. If I mentioned the turnovers or defended mcbain I'd get grief. It lead to a confused state that was relieved by watching the canes feed a game or two. They barely touch on anything negative about us. They certainly don't show slo mo analysis of mess ups that happen all game. Just the way it is.
Well, I'm assuming that now you know that they were wrong because Justin Faulk is the greatest thing Canes defenseman since Glen Wesley.

I'm kidding.

Yeah, *that's* what I want. I want analysis. I remember suggesting to Forslund years ago (when he was available via e-mail) that they should do something like what Jaworski does on ESPN where he shows movement, highlighting players, showing their responsibilities, then showing a different angle, or highlighting different players. There's so little chalkboard, and even when they do it, it's barely meaningful...it's more of "here's what happened" after a score rather than a "here's what they want to do in this situation" at *any* point during the game. Tripp has done so little to help me further understand the inner workings of the game, and I kind of resent him for that. He simply falls short of what I would expect of a color analyst, regardless of his homerism.

And yeah, he's annoying. The stammering! When is he going to seek out a voice coach...it's his fuggin profession, for chrissakes???

It's been a while since we've had a bag-on-Tripp discussion. That felt good.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:55 PM
  #42
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
The color guy is supposed to be mildly humorous and knowledgable. Tripp is unintentionally humorous and mildly knowledgeable. He sounds like he is hanging on by the skin of his teeth and knows it.

We had forslund and Darryl reaugh for one year of whaler bliss. It was like we had actual professionals. Almost like we were in the big leagues.

Ps. I always thought "hey hey what do you say" was cringeworthy and bush league.


Last edited by bleedgreen: 02-05-2013 at 02:01 PM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
  #43
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 6,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Well, I'm assuming that now you know that they were wrong because Justin Faulk is the greatest thing Canes defenseman since Glen Wesley.

I'm kidding.

Yeah, *that's* what I want. I want analysis. I remember suggesting to Forslund years ago (when he was available via e-mail) that they should do something like what Jaworski does on ESPN where he shows movement, highlighting players, showing their responsibilities, then showing a different angle, or highlighting different players. There's so little chalkboard, and even when they do it, it's barely meaningful...it's more of "here's what happened" after a score rather than a "here's what they want to do in this situation" at *any* point during the game. Tripp has done so little to help me further understand the inner workings of the game, and I kind of resent him for that. He simply falls short of what I would expect of a color analyst, regardless of his homerism.

And yeah, he's annoying. The stammering! When is he going to seek out a voice coach...it's his fuggin profession, for chrissakes???

It's been a while since we've had a bag-on-Tripp discussion. That felt good.

This is a self-perpetuating problem that the hockey media has created for itself, at least that's what I have always theorized. Hockey broadcasters in the United States continue to intentionally water down their commentary for the sake of "appealing to the new or casual fan." I think by doing so they damage the appeal of the product and create a chicken and egg scenario where they feel they have to appeal to ignorance amongst their viewers, but one of the main reasons their viewers are ignorant is because they are not educating them! I find it hard to believe that someone would be turned off to hockey because the strategy talk and analysis was too complex for them. If anything, it seems that there would be an appeal in being able to appreciate the complexities of the game and a thirst to understand more.

If you want others to take you seriously you have to take yourself seriously. All you have to do is take a look at what ESPN did with the World Cup and their current Premier League coverage to see an example of the opposite approach. Here is a sport that most Americans never watch, with many newcomers turning in for the World Cup. The old approach, the current hockey approach, would be to hire a team of familiar Americans to talk down to the audience and treat them like idiots. Instead, ESPN hired Martin Tyler for the World Cup and now Ian Darke for their Premier League coverage, two of the most respected commentators in the sport who know the game and can offer insight to even the most die hard fans.

For what it's worth, I think the NHL on NBC has been taking some good steps in this direction, and I applaud them for that.

__________________
-Jonathan
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:32 PM
  #44
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
It's time to re-up demands for Darren Eliot

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:18 PM
  #45
wallym
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 615
I think Tripp is an excellent sidekick to Forslund.

And the idea that the commentary is watered down for the new or casual fan grossly overestimates the hockey knowledge of the committed long time fans.

It's nice that we powder eachother's butts on this forum when talking about the casuals or the facebooker's, but don't let that distract from how many stupid opinions get spouted here, many of mine included.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:33 PM
  #46
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 6,964
vCash: 500
That's part of my point, though, that doing so is a disservice to current fans as well and harmful to the overall product. You aren't going to improve your understanding of the game by watching most broadcasts. They aren't adding much value on top of their most basic service which is enabling you to watch the game.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:10 PM
  #47
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 26,290
vCash: 500
I've always said Tripp makes blowouts tolerable with his unintentional hilarity.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
  #48
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft
 
Mr Whipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greenville, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
I call John and Tripp the Odd Couple.

Back on topic, I think Jordan's done exactly what he's supposed to. Being the playmaker for Skinner and helping open up room for him, the defensively responsible foundation of the 2nd line, and (finally after this last game) adding in a few goals himself. Sure, having a ton of goals would be great to see, but I'll take him being a PPG player with assists as well. Means he's still contributing offensively.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
  #49
Lazyking
Never Forget
 
Lazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,591
vCash: 500
I don't see how Jordan is a better player then Eric. He's a solid defensive player but Eric has proved he can do okay in his own end if not great, plus from what I've seen, Eric is faster and his skill with the puck is better as is his shot.

I really like Jordan but he's playing like a good puck battler on the boards/decent playmaker nothing more.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:17 PM
  #50
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity404 View Post
Like others have mentioned I can't help but be a little disappointed by Jordan's defensive game so far. He's been very good, but not great, though I think my expectations for him were a little to high to begin with.

Offensively, Jordan doesn't seem to be clicking yet, and you can see a bit of that frustration on the ice. He does a really good job protecting the puck and creating space for Skinner which is good, but I haven't seen much else. His game is very similar to Eric's, they almost look like brothers out there .

I'm very excited to have him on the Canes for the next 10 years.
His defense is solid. I think people overrated him a tad here in Pittsburgh defensively. I would call him good in that regard, not elite or anything.

He does tend to get down on himself a bit when he's not scoring and you'll notice that with his body language etc. That's why I liked the story of Dave Lewis reassuring him a few days ago before he had scored a goal yet this season that he's played well and that the Pony gets into the race a lot faster than a big horse like Staal. He'll get going scoring goals eventually. Confidence is a big thing for him. When he has it he can get really hot like he did in the playoffs last season against Philly.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.