HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread - Somebody get Lamb Chop on the phone..

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 01:45 PM
  #101
stickside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
2/5/13

the day this officially became a goaltending controversy. thanks, mr liut

stickside is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:45 PM
  #102
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,213
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
then he should say I instead of we



"Our concern is we were hoping that this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games," Liut said in a phone interview Monday from his Michigan office.
Yeah I do think Cory is probably upset about what's going down. I get the feeling he was probably promised the number 1 job when he re-signed here (especially since the Luongo trade rumors had come out before this) and the Canucks probably communicated with him that he was our guy. And now we have AV going forward with Luongo and not even really telling Schneider who's starting next game (based in Schneider's comments last week). It really does appear, at least from an outside perspective, that the team isn't handling this all that well. But we are now winning at least.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
  #103
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Mike Liut has an interview that TSN is running (looks like it was with the Vancouver Sun), expressing concerns about Schneider's playing time and hoping for a resolution to the Luongo ordeal.

Good ol' Vancouver sports media.
TSN is famous for cutting and pasting quotes to write their own narrative, its really annoying.l

The worst part is they won't even put an author's name to it, written by TSN staff is their go-to controversy stirring article author.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
  #104
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
2/5/13

the day this officially became a goaltending controversy. thanks, mr liut
so dramatic, stickside.

You're one of the sheep, being shepherded to what the media wants you to believe.

This isn't Cory's MO, and the agent answered simple questions....

arsmaster is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:51 PM
  #105
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
then he should say I instead of we



"Our concern is we were hoping that this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games," Liut said in a phone interview Monday from his Michigan office.
Liut's just doing his job. No one would want to hire a guy who doesn't try and lobby for more playing time for his client.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:51 PM
  #106
stickside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
you have now entered....the controversy zone

stickside is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:52 PM
  #107
Pseudonymous
Registered User
 
Pseudonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 500
i read the article and theyre making something out of nothing.

Pseudonymous is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:52 PM
  #108
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Here's a choice quote from Liut that TSN decided to omit for some reason:

“We are not going to get into the finger-pointing game and to that end you have to take a step back and you have to give them latitude to make a business decision.”

Doesn't sound like the words of an agent ready to make trouble.

dave babych returns is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:52 PM
  #109
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
Pretty annoying. All the leverage Gillis has gained by maintaining the notion that we can roll both goalies all year no problem is now out the window.

Disappointing that an agent needs to get involved in this.
I know it's his job to look out for his clent, but his client just cashed in and will have a lot of time before setting himself up for another raise...

Damnit.

roach9 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
  #110
Tact
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
I don't see why we are trading Luongo anyways. This guy is the model of consistency and will take us to the playoffs every year to challenge for a Cup. As GMMG has said he wants a team that's competitive every year and to challenge for the cup. Well, with Luongo in the net, you know you're getting great goaltending.

He's signed for $5.333M cap hit. Sure Schneider is cheaper right now, but in 2 years from now with the cap rising, what is Schneider going to sign for? Over $6M? In the long term I could see Luongo potentially being cheaper. His circumventing cap hit would probably benefit us in the long term.

The next worry is his age. Is he going to decline as he gets older? Well, look at Brodeur. He's still going at the age of 41 and he went to the Stanley Cup finals last year.

Luongo has been a class act and a true professional through this whole thing. Now with Schneider's agent speaking out, I'd be inclined to trade him instead. He apparently has more value anyways. Get some good young pieces for Schneider and move on is my opinion.

Tact is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
  #111
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Pretty annoying. All the leverage Gillis has gained by maintaining the notion that we can roll both goalies all year no problem is now out the window.

dave babych returns is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  #112
CoopALoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van, Bandwagoner
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Here's a choice quote from Liut that TSN decided to omit for some reason:

“We are not going to get into the finger-pointing game and to that end you have to take a step back and you have to give them latitude to make a business decision.”

Doesn't sound like the words of an agent ready to make trouble.
Thanks for the link.

Definitely adds a little more insight to it. While Luit is still being a doofus, at least he understands the decision. That wasn't as apparent in the TSN article.

Go figure.

CoopALoop is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
  #113
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,588
vCash: 500
Liut's doing what he's supposed to be doing. Not remotely worried here.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:04 PM
  #114
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Thanks for the link.

Definitely adds a little more insight to it. While Luit is still being a doofus, at least he understands the decision. That wasn't as apparent in the TSN article.

Go figure.
I don't see any problem with what Liut was doing. In all likelihood Brad Ziemer called him up in his office and asked him to comment on Cory Schneider's situation with the Canucks - what is he going to do, decline?

I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot and Roberto Luongo hadn't played in quite some time we'd hear his agent saying milquetoast stuff like "a goaltender of Roberto's calibre deserves to start more games, but.." too.

dave babych returns is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:06 PM
  #115
CoopALoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van, Bandwagoner
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I don't see any problem with what Liut was doing. In all likelihood Brad Ziemer called him up in his office and asked him to comment on Cory Schneider's situation with the Canucks - what is he going to do, decline?

I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot and Roberto Luongo hadn't played in quite some time we'd hear his agent saying milquetoast stuff like "a goaltender of Roberto's calibre deserves to start more games, but.." too.
I'm not too sure about the latter.

Even with the entire "situation" of our goalies, I don't recall Lu's agent ever really coming forward to spew anything of this caliber. I may be wrong.

It just seems like a little bit of a knee jerk reaction from Luit this short into the season.

CoopALoop is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
  #116
serge2k
Registered User
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post
I don't see why we are trading Luongo anyways. This guy is the model of consistency and will take us to the playoffs every year to challenge for a Cup. As GMMG has said he wants a team that's competitive every year and to challenge for the cup. Well, with Luongo in the net, you know you're getting great goaltending.

He's signed for $5.333M cap hit. Sure Schneider is cheaper right now, but in 2 years from now with the cap rising, what is Schneider going to sign for? Over $6M? In the long term I could see Luongo potentially being cheaper. His circumventing cap hit would probably benefit us in the long term.

The next worry is his age. Is he going to decline as he gets older? Well, look at Brodeur. He's still going at the age of 41 and he went to the Stanley Cup finals last year.

Luongo has been a class act and a true professional through this whole thing. Now with Schneider's agent speaking out, I'd be inclined to trade him instead. He apparently has more value anyways. Get some good young pieces for Schneider and move on is my opinion.
Right, and then implode for a couple games in the playoffs.

Then play absolutely awesome for a game.

Then implode for another 2.

serge2k is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
  #117
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Watch Schneider's face during the game and when he talks to Luongo. The dude couldn't have a bigger smile on his face if he tried.

Not worried here.
No doubt, anyone have an image of last night?

arsmaster is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:12 PM
  #118
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Right, and then implode for a couple games in the playoffs.

Then play absolutely awesome for a game.

Then implode for another 2.
But curiously enough, that'll only happen after our defense has been devastated by injury to the point where they're literally calling Nolan Baumgartner on vacation to see if he's available. What a crazyrandomhappenstance!

PRNuck is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
  #119
Jarko2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
I can't see the Canucks moving Schneider. I think that would be a mistake. So ultimately, Luongo playing well can only benefit the team (and Schneider) in the return Luongo brings.

Funny thing is, if Luongo were traded tomorrow, the Canucks would be in good shape considering Schneider might have to play almost every game the rest of the way. For what Luongo is being paid while he's here, he should be playing!

Jarko2004 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
  #120
Tact
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Right, and then implode for a couple games in the playoffs.

Then play absolutely awesome for a game.

Then implode for another 2.
Yeah because Dan Hamhuis our top defender who eats the biggest minutes on our defence got injured had absolutely nothing to do with it, right? Playing Aaron Rome and Andrew Alberts 18+ min a game against the Boston Bruins is going to set you up for success. Right on bud.

If it wasn't for Luongo, we wouldn't of even got to game 7. There's only so much a goalie can do.

Tact is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:23 PM
  #121
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Remember when Cody Hodgson was villainized by management when his camp complained about icetime. I know the situations are not identical, but still......

Hodgy is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
  #122
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,785
vCash: 500

AndyPipkin is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
  #123
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,213
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Remember when Cody Hodgson was villainized by management when his camp complained about icetime. I know the situations are not identical, but still......
Only difference is his complaining was done behind the scenes, whereas Schneider's agent complained publicly.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:26 PM
  #124
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,174
vCash: 500
While Liut may not be speaking for Schneider specifically. Would anyone be surprised if e was? Schneider was supposedly given nod, yet Luongo will not relinquish his throne. We will eventually reach a point where Schneider may consider other options.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:29 PM
  #125
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Only difference is his complaining was done behind the scenes, whereas Schneider's agent complained publicly.
Hodgson's agent tweeted about it IIRC.

arsmaster is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.