HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Stubbs calls PJ Stock a "sensational[ist], irresponsible" liar for PK comments

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Tusk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
The amount of media hacks surrounding or giving opinions about this team is amazing.
That's really what it's been downgraded to, the internet has changed a lot.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:53 PM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom08 View Post
For those who have yet to see the video, here is the link to the CBC post game article. The Buf-Mtl game is there in its entirety including the between period segements.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/game/1289100/recap/

The video is located to the left at the beginning of the article. The Subban part begins at 56:19.

You cannot view this video on your iPhone/iPad. You need flash to view, and probably be in Canada.
That's pretty awesome they have the entire game on the site, but why did they do it for just that one? I don't see any other games up on cbc.ca

Old
02-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

When I see P.J on l'antichambre, all I hear is him complaining about how the Habs are too small.

I guess the Habs should have picked a "big" player instead of him a decade ago...

Old
02-05-2013, 12:57 PM
TUCKER 06

I'm a PK fan and I can certainly recognize that there is probably a degree of "drama" that surrounds the dude, but whether that stems from others' jealousy or his own arrogance there is absolutely NO WAY to know.

I am willing to bet that a lot of the perceived hard-feelings toward PK are generated because of the media's intense interest in the guy. His name dominates nearly every topic of discussion when it comes to the Habs and if I were on the team, I'd be sick of CBC and TSN ignoring our HOCKEY for a story on one player, particularly during a time when the organization is trying to emphasize a TEAM-FIRST philosophy from the top of the ladder to the bottom.

It's a distraction and it's annoying when game day talk is all about PK, but it's nothing he can control. Granted, last year and over the lock-out PK put himself in the media spotlight a lot, doing commercials and becoming a panelist for Sportsnet. However, it's nothing that hasn't been done before by other players. I've already seen a shift in his demeanour from last year. PK has bought into the team-first culture and, for the time being, is treading lightly with the "new" organization. An example of that is the fact that he hasn't lead the rush a single time despite having many opportunities to do so (and the crowd egging him on to do so - "PK! PK! PK!").

_____
I am behind Stubbs 110% on this little feud. As others have stated, the man is in the room with the players after every game and communicates to them on a personal level (beyond just talking about the game) and even going so far as to wish them happy birthdays during the off season (as an example).

I won't comment on PJ Stock because I don't have anything positive to say about the guy. I will say this; he reminds me of Mike Milbury. And I DON'T like Mike Milbury.

Last edited by TUCKER 06: 02-05-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 12:58 PM
coolasprICE

The fact that PJ Stock is so important to some of you to the point where we are tying to run him out of a job is ****ing pathetic and disgusting.

Why don't we petition against the old racists ******** on antichambre instead

Old
02-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
That's pretty awesome they have the entire game on the site, but why did they do it for just that one? I don't see any other games up on cbc.ca
They did it cause PK was coming back and they wanted to see if he suddenly couldnt hold back and would pull a triple low-five with anyone, you know, like maybe the Zamboni driver or the beer concession guy.

Old
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'd rather ten PJs lying 10 times a day than ONE Dave Stubbs writing about Brian Gionta's grandfather's favourite Bordeaux that Stubbs and him shared over an off-the-record lunch they had a few years ago, during which Stubbs got a couple of BOMB scoops about Gomez's grandfather's favourite Malbec but can't really talk about it because of the trust sports journalists develop with hockey players.

Instead of petitioning, why doesn't every pipe down and forget this exists - this is one beat reporter (Stubbs) trying to stay in the good graces of the organization and one reporter (PJ) trying to raise drama and make himself seem important or connected. They can both go to hell, why are you guys supporting one or the other?

Especially Stubbs that coward who had a million things to suggest but nothing to say during one of the worst seasons in Habs history.

Old
Gally11

Meh I think PJ is often wrong and can be an idiot but he doesn't bother me, I don't see the big deal doesn't seem like anyone else takes him seriously even on HNIC panel

Old
02-05-2013, 01:09 PM
TheGoalJudge

It's important for our leaders to step up and protect Subban here.

If the media asks you something about Subban just say you love him and tell them to GTFO.

END OF STORY.

That's all that has to be done and it's worrying that it hasn't been done yet.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'd rather ten PJs lying 10 times a day than ONE Dave Stubbs writing about Brian Gionta's grandfather's favourite Bordeaux that Stubbs and him shared over an off-the-record lunch they had a few years ago, during which Stubbs got a couple of BOMB scoops about Gomez's grandfather's favourite Malbec but can't really talk about it because of the trust sports journalists develop with hockey players.

Instead of petitioning, why doesn't every pipe down and forget this exists - this is one beat reporter (Stubbs) trying to stay in the good graces of the organization and one reporter (PJ) trying to raise drama and make himself seem important or connected. They can both go to hell, why are you guys supporting one or the other?

Especially Stubbs that coward who had a million things to suggest but nothing to say during one of the worst seasons in Habs history.
PJ isn't a reporter, he's a half-ass analyst.
Regardless, I agree. People should ignore this crap. I have more of an issue with the morons that actually buy into wtv dumb rumors guys like PJ spew out.

PK's issue can be summed up in one word, maturity. That's it, that's all. PK was somewhat immatury, like plenty other early 20s kids. Does he still have to deal with that?? Maybe, maybe not, but we don't know this at all. The kid has been here for what? A week now?? Let's wait and see. From his responses to various questions, he certainly didn't sound immature.

PK thing is seriously overblown and ridiculous. But yea, we shouldn't even be talking about it. It's just a kid that needs to mature, like every one else at some point in life. Not sure why this is making headlines.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
So Stock has been in the dressing room? Stubbs has too. If he isn't still covering post-game media scrums, he has at least a dozen or so people that he is close to, that could easily give him their take on the vibe in the lockeroom.

Stock was finally held accountable and reacted like a five year old. Too many blows to the head, I assume. Looks like that orbital bone isn't the only thing that got messed up during his career.
edit...............................

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 02-05-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 01:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:

Irrational hate. You'd rather 10 guys spreading negative rumours about the habs than one guy who focuses a little more on player's human side than hockey side? Really? Yah, Stubbs makes fluff pieces but that's your big argument?

Old
02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
The fact that PJ Stock is so important to some of you to the point where we are tying to run him out of a job is ****ing pathetic and disgusting.

I'd rather just not watch either. Oh wait, I don't.

BTW, I don't care about PJ. I don't care about his job, same with the RDS crew. If they suck and get fired, that's not my problem. They should try being real reporters or analysts and maybe i'd care.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:33 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
PJ isn't a reporter, he's a half-ass analyst.
Regardless, I agree. People should ignore this crap. I have more of an issue with the morons that actually buy into wtv dumb rumors guys like PJ spew out.

PK's issue can be summed up in one word, maturity. That's it, that's all. PK was somewhat immatury, like plenty other early 20s kids. Does he still have to deal with that?? Maybe, maybe not, but we don't know this at all. The kid has been here for what? A week now?? Let's wait and see. From his responses to various questions, he certainly didn't sound immature.

PK thing is seriously overblown and ridiculous. But yea, we shouldn't even be talking about it. It's just a kid that needs to mature, like every one else at some point in life. Not sure why this is making headlines.
Well said.

I was just amazed that his own teammates would say things like "Ah well, we gotta reel him in once or twice.." as if he's some ratty teenager. Hey Hal Gill, he's the one covering your butt night-in, night-out, he's playing 24min a night and you call him a kid? Jacques benches him over fn Weber and St-Denis?

The fans and media here were so close to burning his effigy on de la Montange during his few game holdout. Asshats like Marinara and Stock are talking crap about the guy and the fans just eat it up. Leave him alone, he's the best player we've had in defence since Markov - and he's Canadian, and he's a Habs fan from childhood, AND HE LOVES PLAYING HERE.

It's astounding. Fans should just ignore this crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Irrational hate. You'd rather 10 guys spreading negative rumours about the habs than one guy who focuses a little more on player's human side than hockey side? Really? Yah, Stubbs makes fluff pieces but that's your big argument?
A) Great avatar/title combo

B) I, we, can ignore liars. They discredit themselves. The only English beat reporter who doesn't report or care about hockey is a bit more annoying in the long term. That's how I see it anyway.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

CBC should just fire everyone except Mclean and Friedman.

Old
StopTheClock

I think Stock may be even dumber than Nick Kypreos. makes me sick to watch him stutter through the highlights and makes his idiotic comments

Old
Bobby G

Huge props to Stubbs! More of the media should be held accountable. Stock is garbage no idea why CBC features him so prominently

Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
CBC should just fire everyone except Mclean and Friedman.
CBC HNIC may cease to exist when their contract runs out. Don't think they can compete with TSN.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

This has been explained to you before but you still refuse to absorb it . Dave Stubbs is a feature writer and human interest story teller, that's the approach to writing he takes. He is NOT a beat writer.

He also isn't a muckraker and if he's calling Stock to task for his broad brush comments I will take it at face value that there's a good reason. It's probably because it goes against his nature of being balanced if not complimentary towards the human beings who give him his living.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
This has been explained to you before but you still refuse to absorb it . Dave Stubbs is a feature writer and human interest story teller, that's the approach to writing he takes. He is NOT a beat writer.

He also isn't a muckraker and if he's calling Stock to task for his broad brush comments I will take it at face value that there's a good reason. It's probably because it goes against his nature of being balanced if not complimentary towards the human beings who give him his living.
Listen I agree that Stock is false/lying and that Stubbs has better connections with the team (and especially Spacek, it seems). I also agree that Stubbs takes the "human interest" approach to everything he writes. And I also agree that he wouldn't start stuff with Stock if he wasn't sure of the reality in the lockerroom.

That doesn't mean that Stubbs is good at his job or that I care about the crap pieces he flushes out. It doesn't mean that Stubbs is a worthwhile journalist who reports the TRUTH instead of hiding behind the veil of "off-the-record" and alluding to a million things - that's just cowardice. That's him protecting his sorry 65k a year job and stay in the good graces of the Habs, brown-nosing the likes of Spacek and Darche for a minor scoop here and there.

Look at his sorry piece on Subban last week before PK signed. There was nothing of value there and he went out of his way to protect the organization and PK simultaneously. Why are you even reporting at this rate - to protect PK Subban? Is that his job? Is he the Dark Knight?

Old
02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
A) Great avatar/title combo

B) I, we, can ignore liars. They discredit themselves. The only English beat reporter who doesn't report or care about hockey is a bit more annoying in the long term. That's how I see it anyway.
A) Thanks

B) I think it's a little much. He's just focusing on something else. I have nothing against him but I don't read his articles too much either. They are good for start of the season or summer types. Finding out Pacioretty has been working extra hard at gym or so and so coming to camp with a new outlook and reduced weight. Yah, it's fine. I can imagine during stretch it's annoying but I don't hate him for it, I just don't read it.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Saundies

Stock is a moron, as are most of the leafs and bruins fans that we like to call our CBC "analysts."

PK Subban is cocky. There's no doubt to that fact; the kid is good and he knows it. He plays in Montreal, where he's worshipped like a God by the faithful night in and night out. It's bound to go to your head at some point being that young. Is there anything wrong with that? I say no. Can it get old? Absolutely.

Cocky guys tend to get along with other cocky guys, which is why guys like Prust and Price get PK more than others seem to. Some people just don't like being around people with big personalities like that in large doses, and that's fine too. You're not gonna get along with all of your co-workers all of the time.

The guys probably seen PK's holdout as more cockiness, kind of like "I deserve more than the bridge contract, I'm worth more.." etc. and wanted to bring him down to earth with that icy reception. Could they have handled it better? Again, yes. But now that it's over I truly think both sides just want to move forward and forget it ever happened. These idiotic comments by Stock, and even stupid articles I see on TSN overblowing his initial team meeting as "accepting new rules before joining the team" just stir up unnecessary negative perception and fan drama. Just let him have fun.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:33 PM
SB164

On the Puck Daddy podcast, Jeff Marek mentioned that the first major purchase PK made after signing his contract was a house. For his parents. The guy's got a good head on his shoulders. Can you even imagine the ensuing ****storm if he was ever arrested for a DUI like Pavelec? And don't even get me started on all the ridiculous Price rumours from a few years ago.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:34 PM
skule123

Considering PK appeared on Sportsnet during the lockout in a few high profile spots, it's interesting to note TSN and CBC aggressively targetting his reputation.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
there's a refusal to accept that pk might be a problem on these boards that i just can't understand
When did producing proof become a thing of the past? I mean I could say anything - and folks would suck it up - why? Because I'm on CBC?

Where's the proof? Anything at all. Come on - if you and pajmma boy are so sure - let's have it!

Wait a sec - you're a frigging Sens fan - of course you'd stir **** over here with no proof!

Last edited by Davebo: 02-05-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Closed Thread