HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Luongo is and has handled this whole situation with absolute class.

It's become clear that Cory is in the ear of his agent and now some may question his character. If Lu can smile and play hockey under less than ideal circumstances then surely Schneider can for a couple weeks?

If I were a Canucks fan I'd be worried. Very worried that we will end up trading Luongo, the better, more team oriented keeper than Cory, the narcissistic, individualistic, game-elevating-while-there-is-less-pressure-on-me type of guy. Not a guy I want to hand the keys too.
Yeah the selfish narcissist who arguably could have been a starter on most teams a couple of years ago but kept quiet and just worked hard. What a selfish non team oriented guy!

Old
02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
So according to HF posters, since his value before the season was a bag of pucks, his value must decrease to half a bag of pucks in the off season.
Vancouver will take the risk on losing out on the redundant assets and keep a top 5-10 goalie unless the offers improve.
In the meantime those teams with questionable goaltending can keep telling us how they are in the drivers' seat while Vancouver with two great goalies is screwed.
Not every non Canuck fan has said his value is a bag of pucks, thank you. Some of us fans of other teams have stated we can't afford to give the type of return Gillis wants for a player of that calibre. That however is not the samething as saying worthless. You can think they are in the drivers seat all you want, but the more little stories like this come out the greater the chance there is of valuie decreasing. Explain to me though please since I am so wrong how his value is increased in the offseason when the salary cap for next season is going down? I am very curious to know this.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Not every non Canuck fan has said his value is a bag of pucks, thank you. Some of us fans of other teams have stated we can't afford to give the type of return Gillis wants for a player of that calibre. That however is not the samething as saying worthless. You can think they are in the drivers seat all you want, but the more little stories like this come out the greater the chance there is of valuie decreasing. Explain to me though please since I am so wrong how his value is increased in the offseason when the salary cap for next season is going down? I am very curious to know this.
I never said it increased after the season. What I said was that the Canucks are a better team with Luongo than the bag of pucks being offered. For me it's simple. I'd rather keep him for the season and then trade him for free in the off season then get a Bozak and a second type of return by trading him now. HF posters seem concerned that Vancouver is missing the boat by not pulling the trigger now. If the return is as rumoured then you keep a guy who's a top 5-10 goalie and make a run at the cup. If you miss out on Tyler Bozak then I don't see that as a very big downside. In the meantime, who knows, a couple of team mays find their goalies struggling ( as happens every year) and the urgency to upgrade may increase.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:32 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Luongo is and has handled this whole situation with absolute class.

It's become clear that Cory is in the ear of his agent and now some may question his character. If Lu can smile and play hockey under less than ideal circumstances then surely Schneider can for a couple weeks?

If I were a Canucks fan I'd be worried. Very worried that we will end up trading Luongo, the better, more team oriented keeper than Cory, the narcissistic, individualistic, game-elevating-while-there-is-less-pressure-on-me type of guy. Not a guy I want to hand the keys too.
I don't think you can sau Schneider has the ear of his agent. I think his agent voiced an opinion he has of his client, which in a way there is nothing wrong with. Sometimes those comments cause a stir and can be counter productive. Hopefully these don't turn out that way for Schneider.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Some fans need to take a step back and think about this logically.
Schneider wants to be the starter, no doubt. But don't you think he'd rather be the starter for an improved roster, in other words, be patient with Luongo and Gillis so we can get the best possible return, which would benefit Schneider much more in the end?
And it's not like Gillis didn't discuss this with Schneider when they signed the contract last summer, I bet GMMG told Schneider and his agent that he's going to be patient with shopping Luongo and that it could take the whole season, but promised Schneider the starting spot for the long term plan for the franchise.
I'll be frank. I would rather play for Toronto than Vancouver were I Schneider, unless I am given a guarantee Luongo is gone by x. Why? No professional athlete wants to warm the bench constantly no matter how often he says the right thing publicly. Toronto may be nowhere close to as successful a team but as a goalie, you want to play - becoming part of the solution.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I'll be frank. I would rather play for Toronto than Vancouver were I Schneider, unless I am given a guarantee Luongo is gone by x. Why? No professional athlete wants to warm the bench constantly no matter how often he says the right thing publicly. Toronto may be nowhere close to as successful a team but as a goalie, you want to play - becoming part of the solution.
I agree. When you're 22 or 23 you may be happy to back up a great goalie like Luongo, but at 26 or 27 after you've paid your dues you want to be the go to guy.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Yeah yeah, we know.

The world hates the Canucks.

Toronto media conspiracy.

Anything else?
Who wrote the article?

It says TSN staff, because nobody is man enough to to take responsibility for cut and pasting certain quotes to contribute to a certain narrative that engages website hits, radio listeners, tv followers.

It's clear Cory wants to play, that is the gist of the article. He and his agent understand the situation, AND, if you watch the Canucks it's pretty clear Cory is genuinely happy for both Luongo and the team right now, but that doesn't sell papers.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Yes, but there are other quotes in the article that can be taken a different way.like this quote.
If they are both there for the entire season, and it's a 48-game season, and Roberto plays 40 games, that's a disaster," Liut said. "That's an extreme and I don't think that's going to happen, but certainly the sooner the better.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz2K3U5b5xa

Old
02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Not going to fingerpoint? Going to step back? Then what's he doing with these remarks...

"Our concern is we were hoping that this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games."

Looks like Liut & Schneider only expect Luongo to play 7 more games in a Canucks uniform.

"If they are both there for the entire season, and it's a 48-game season, and Roberto plays 40 games, that's a disaster," Liut said. "That's an extreme and I don't think that's going to happen, but certainly the sooner the better."

The sooner, Mike? he sooner what? So even if Luongo pulls a Vezina-calibre season out of his ass, he should't be allowed to play 40 games?

"What you have is two goalies and there's only one net and you are trying to trade one of them. So you have to play him. Now it's four games in a row, does that give you some concern at the same time? Sure, because with a player like Cory you want to see him play every night."

Luongo starting 4 games in a row on MERIT doesn't concern me, Mike, it concerns YOU and YOUR CLIENT, even if that's what's best for the team. Funniest part about this particular quote is that his & Cory's "concern" comes dring a stretch where the TEAM has captured 7 of a possible 8 standings points. But I thought Cory was a team player who is besties wih Roberto?

Liut is absolutely stirring up some **** with these comments. BTW, what's stopping Cory from putting a gag order on his agent? Don't forget, folks: Liut works FOR Cory. So these comments may as well being coming straight from his mouth.

How would you typify those statements?

Last edited by hototogisu: 02-05-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: be nice
Old
02-05-2013, 01:39 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Yes, but there are other quotes in the article that can be taken a different way.like this quote.
If they are both there for the entire season, and it's a 48-game season, and Roberto plays 40 games, that's a disaster," Liut said. "That's an extreme and I don't think that's going to happen, but certainly the sooner the better.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz2K3U5b5xa
Right now, Luongo is on pace to start 27 games, Schneider 21....That is the current ratio.

Of course they won't be happy with a 40/8.....I don't think any starter in the league will start 40 this year.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not every non Canuck fan has said his value is a bag of pucks, thank you. Some of us fans of other teams have stated we can't afford to give the type of return Gillis wants for a player of that calibre. That however is not the samething as saying worthless. ... Explain to me though please since I am so wrong how his value is increased in the offseason when the salary cap for next season is going down? I am very curious to know this.
I agree with this, you've put it in better words than I could. Imagine it as the Canucks GM is trying to sell his Ferrari in a small town, where most houses already have a vehicle and don't want to trade their house for a car. Sure, the car is worth a lot, but it may not fetch much if there are no willing/able buyers.

It is more logical for MG to move 1 goalie for the best offer available, instead of sit on 2 high-calibre goalies and risk running out of skater-depth down the stretch and in the playoffs, despite what VanWest will tell you about how great it is to have 2 star goalies for 1 goalie position.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:41 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I never said it increased after the season. What I said was that the Canucks are a better team with Luongo than the bag of pucks being offered. For me it's simple. I'd rather keep him for the season and then trade him for free in the off season then get a Bozak and a second type of return by trading him now. HF posters seem concerned that Vancouver is missing the boat by not pulling the trigger now. If the return is as rumoured then you keep a guy who's a top 5-10 goalie and make a run at the cup. If you miss out on Tyler Bozak then I don't see that as a very big downside. In the meantime, who knows, a couple of team mays find their goalies struggling ( as happens every year) and the urgency to upgrade may increase.
Oh I have stated before that it maybe in there best interest to keep him all year and make a run. I know fans don't like to hear the window is closing comments, but it is usually, note I said usually the way it works. You take your shots while you can that's for sure. I am just saying if the offers are bad now, I don't think they get better in the offseason. LOL, you think there are vultures there now, man look out.....lol.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
I agree with this, you've put it in better words than I could. Imagine it as the Canucks GM is trying to sell his Ferrari in a small town, where most houses already have a vehicle and don't want to trade their house for a car. Sure, the car is worth a lot, but it may not fetch much if there are no willing/able buyers.

It is more logical for MG to move 1 goalie for the best offer available, instead of sit on 2 high-calibre goalies and risk running out of skater-depth down the stretch and in the playoffs, despite what VanWest will tell you about how great it is to have 2 star goalies for 1 goalie position.

Except that this is exactly what they did last year, when they kept both Schneids and Luongo past the deadline. If it had not been for a Keith elbow to Daniel's head, it could have proven to be a game changer in the LA series. Lu started slow, Schneider came in and played lights out. They wouldn't have had that option without Schneider.

Just to douse the fake fire here somewhat, Gillis clarifies the Liut situation in this radio hit this morning. In it, he states that Gilman just spoke to Liut this morning...

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/canucks...on-team1040-4/

Old
02-05-2013, 01:52 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Except that this is exactly what they did last year, when they kept both Schneids and Luongo past the deadline. If it had not been for a Keith elbow to Daniel's head, it could have proven to be a game changer in the LA series. Lu started slow, Schneider came in and played lights out. They wouldn't have had that option without Schneider.

Just to douse the fake fire here somewhat, Gillis clarifies the Liut situation in this radio hit this morning. In it, he states that Gilman just spoke to Liut this morning...

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/canucks...on-team1040-4/
See, outside fans will make it bigger then it is, true. Nucks fans will brush it off, true. fact is what was said and how it is interpreted is somewhere between what each set of fans think. I only point stuff like this out as it can be hard to stop a ball once it gets rolling. If it gets going to fast thats when damage nobody ever intended gets done.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Yeah yeah, we know.

The world hates the Canucks.

Toronto media conspiracy.

Anything else?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but how is it considered a conspiracy when the fact is the Maple Leafs are 75% owned by 2 of the biggest media companies in Canada? Not much of a conspiracy there lol.
And can you name a more hated team than Vancouver?

Old
02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but how is it considered a conspiracy when the fact is the Maple Leafs are 75% owned by 2 of the biggest media companies in Canada? Not much of a conspiracy there lol.
And can you name a more hated team than Vancouver?
Ya the Leafs are a more hated team, lol, IMO.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:05 PM
RECsGuy*

This quote by Liut (and, by extension, his employer, Schneider) still blows my mind. I'll repost it so that it can sink in with some of you.

Keep the following in mind as you read it: the Canucks are 3-0-1 in their past four games...

"...you are trying to trade one of them. So you have to play him. Now it's four games in a row, does that give you some concern at the same time? Sure..."

Old
02-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
See, outside fans will make it bigger then it is, true. Nucks fans will brush it off, true. fact is what was said and how it is interpreted is somewhere between what each set of fans think. I only point stuff like this out as it can be hard to stop a ball once it gets rolling. If it gets going to fast thats when damage nobody ever intended gets done.

The potential damage is something Gillis would have already accounted for. Yes, it may still go awry with Cory. There is always that possibility. However, what should that matter to the fans of other teams? Does a potential controversy serve them in anyway?

The thought process here is that Gillis will buckle to putrid offers due to internal pressures... Think about it. This is Mike Gillis we are talking about here. Go toe to toe with Eagelson Mike Gillis... Carry both #1s into the season Gillis... Sit on a disgruntled Hodgson for 2 1/2 years Mike Gillis. Patience and pragmatism are his calling cards. Do you actually think he views this as a bad situation? Having two starters chomping at the bit to get in the net? This is bad?

Cory just needs to go out and make it a debate once again. Like he did last year, when he stole the net for 6 games in a row and everyone wondered when Luongo would get back in. Short memories around here.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
This quote by Liut (and, by extension, his employer, Schneider) still blows my mind. I'll repost it so that it can sink in wth some of you.

Keep the following in mind as you read it: the Canucks are 3-0-1 in their past four games...

"...you are trying to trade one of them. So you have to play him. Now it's four games in a row, does that give you some concern at the same time? Sure..."

It's sinkin in man.. thanks. lol

Here's a quote from the Canucks board. I didn't ask I in the Eye's permission (sorry I), but it just had to be posted here for its poignancy and apt comparison.

Quote:
I don't think AV is tactful, or sensitive, enough to have this done "issue free"... As far as issues go, this is harmless, IMHO...

Canucks have two excellent goaltenders... Throwing Bobby Lu a bone right now... Schneider will be getting his bone soon enough...

When you only have one free breast, and two hungry babies... one baby needs to go hungry for a while longer (that's just the way life sometimes is)... The one who's likely to cry and fuss first, gets fed first... He's older... Squeeky wheel gets the grease, and age before beauty... Schneider won't starve... After all, Mommy loves Schneider more... All is well, in the cycle of life...

Baby Lu is getting adopted soon enough... Until then, yes, breasts might get a little sore... Yes, babies might cry or whimper a little more... but, life could be worse, for everyone involved... They've got shelter... They're safe enough... It's a great environment... AV isn't very outwardly loving, but that's just the way he is... He's a distant father... But I don't foresee social services needing to send Baby Lu to an orphanage... Time is there for a great family to adopt Baby Lu... Baby Schneids will have to wait a little bit... I'm confident he won't **** the crib in protest... and he won't starve...

Let that sink in.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:09 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The potential damage is something Gillis would have already accounted for. Yes, it may still go awry with Cory. There is always that possibility. However, what should that matter to the fans of other teams? Does a potential controversy serve them in anyway?

The thought process here is that Gillis will buckle to putrid offers due to internal pressures... Think about it. This is Mike Gillis we are talking about here. Go toe to toe with Eagelson Mike Gillis... Carry both #1s into the season Gillis... Sit on a disgruntled Hodgson for 2 1/2 years Mike Gillis. Patience and pragmatism are his calling cards. Do you actually think he views this as a bad situation? Having two starters chomping at the bit to get in the net? This is bad?

Cory just needs to go out and make it a debate once again. Like he did last year, when he stole the net for 6 games in a row and everyone wondered when Luongo would get back in. Short memories around here.
And if cory craps the bed? 6 games in a row? hehhe wow.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
And if cory craps the bed? 6 games in a row? hehhe wow.

If Cory craps the bed then they go back to Luongo. Until such time Cory gets the net again and runs with it. Pure meritocracy. The way it should be. Earn your ice.

Cory isn't going to feel entitled to the net if he goes in there and gets ventilated. He'll stay quite, wait for his chance again, and look to take advantage again when the opportunity arises, just like he did last year.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Luongo is playing just like he always does during the season. Always plays well, problem is once he gets in the playoffs and his success has not been that great in Van or internationally. I like Lu but I think he would be a better playoff performer elsewhere where he isn't the face of the franchise. When he had a bad game someone else had to step up and no one ever did.

I think the return will be a lot less than some believe. Toronto is not hard up for him since they don't have a good enough team to warrant such a move. Florida? Wsh? Other than Florida, is there another team that will take the contract?
Two years ago when there were discussions as to how much Cory Schnieder would bring the Canucks in trade there were weeks of posts on HF as to how much any goalie would get and how much less Cory would bring back because he was not a proven NHL starting goalie. HF fans pretty much came to the consensus that the most a proven NHL starting goalie would bring in trade would be a second round pick and a mid range prospect. Cory, being unproven would only likely return a 3rd round pick to the Canucks.

Do you really think Luongo will not return a 2nd round pick so that we Vancouver fans will really be upset & surprized with how much less we will get for Luongo? After all he is a proven NHL starting goalie. I guses some will say he hasn't played enough games this season to prove he isn't already over the hill and on the rapid decline plus point out how terrible his contract is.

If you don't think Luongo is still worth a 2nd round pick, what do you think we will have to settle for?

Old
02-05-2013, 02:16 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Oh I have stated before that it maybe in there best interest to keep him all year and make a run. I know fans don't like to hear the window is closing comments, but it is usually, note I said usually the way it works. You take your shots while you can that's for sure. I am just saying if the offers are bad now, I don't think they get better in the offseason. LOL, you think there are vultures there now, man look out.....lol.
I don't really take the windows closing arguments very seriously. I heard the same thing when Bertuzzi/Morrison and Naslund were the number one line. IMO, you always try to put your team in a position to win. A few things need to break your way but well run organizations tend to take advantage of those breaks and poorly run organizations rarely get the chance. You have to ask yourself why the same teams always seem to be on the outside looking in year after year without any wndows really opening.
As for vultures, again if there are no offers on the table that improve the team, let them circle. The teams with bad goaltending will be on the golf course in May and their GM's will be looking for another job. We'll see if that gets them motivated as the season progresses.

Last edited by vanwest: 02-05-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 02:23 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
While I agree, I think there is more to it as we'll. there is some grace time here, as Cory knows he will be the guy, for a team that drafted and developed him. I believe he would rather start here in Vancouver then anywhere else in the world. That gives us grace time to accomplish that. How much? I don't know.

Quote:

Except we do t have a glaring hole to fill. We are missing two of our top 6, and are still 5-2-2, what needs to be upgraded? We have afforded to ourselves through great depth, time. We can sit in this small town, as people run their cars into the ground. Maybe we have to wait until summer when I guy wants to get rid of his truck for a summer sports car, and thanks to the buyout, he has a windfall coming to him.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
vanwest

Quote:

How's this for logic.
Is the team better off with Bozak and a second or Luongo?
It's a pretty easy answer for me although some posters seem to feel that the teams with two subpar goalies are in the driver's seat here. I think you're mistake is assuming that any return for Vancouver is an improvement over the status quo. That's not logical. You need to look at the negative of losing a top goalie and see if the positive of acquiring a player exceeds it.

Closed Thread