HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Videogame Thread #3 (PSN/Gamertags/Steam): NHL 14 Trailer Released Today

Old
01-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
After the massive letdown of MW3 I decided to wait and see for BO2. I'm glad I did. I haven't touched NHL13 in a while, not sure why. Maybe I got tired of often being the only defender on an unorganized team versus an organized team.

01-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Flyerfan808

Currently between NHL13, Diablo 3, and League of Legends.

NHL13 will always be fun, scoring goals never gets old.

Diablo 3 is slowly getting better. They're up to patch 1.07 now, and they're adding a few more unique craftables and finally adding PVP dueling. Dueling is cool, but when they announced PVP it was more like team battles and arenas... so what we're getting feels like a watered down version of it. Also even with all the recent changes I find it really hard to log in and play for more than 1 hour at a time.

League of Legends was a game introduced to me by friends and I'm starting to really enjoy it. Best I can describe it is to say it's sort of like DotA/Warcraft 3, but with different lore/rules. The 5v5 arenas are pretty awesome.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
After the massive letdown of MW3 I decided to wait and see for BO2. I'm glad I did. I haven't touched NHL13 in a while, not sure why. Maybe I got tired of often being the only defender on an unorganized team versus an organized team.
The games really wouldn't be that bad if they did 2 things :

Balance the guns. The SMGs are too strong. The LMG are weak as hell. Sniper rifles are overpowered as hell.. There's one sniper rifle with 8, 10, or 12 shots that you can spam and half the time it's 1 shot kills

Switch to dedicated servers. Everyone is getting tired of shooting a guy 6 or 7 times and getting killed instead because of the lag in the game

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Finally got around to starting a Be A GM in NHL13. Before the season even started Penguins traded a 2nd rounder and Deryk Engelland to the Devils for Marty Brodeur, meanwhile I was unable to trade for Boucher and/or Alt, even offering picks and other compensation (Ranford, Lehtovouri) along with Luke Pither.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Krishna

Sounds like Feb 20th will be the unveiling of ps4

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

God ****ing damn the AI for D-men is awful. Probably worse with the goalies. The D-men in NHL 13 have no sense of urgency to get back and back check and when it comes to the other end of the ice, they get too gung-ho and rush a puck that is almost out of the zone usually resulting in an offsides. Goalies will stick down in the butterfly, a stick up their ass moving (saw a goalie tonight be completely in the butterfly sliding around with no leg movements of any kind) and never trying to stretch to stop a puck, especially on the backhand forehand shots on breakaways. Beyond ****ing stupid. I know the AI was really ****ing bad in NHL 12, but at least they would play D by killing guys and poking pucks away when it was near by. I do have to ask, when they made the AI for NHL 13, did they think defensemen should NEVER play the puck (such as poke checking or trying to block shots)? I think EA just thought an AI player was just another play to pass to and only shoot/pass, but never to do anything else.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:27 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
God ****ing damn the AI for D-men is awful. Probably worse with the goalies. The D-men in NHL 13 have no sense of urgency to get back and back check and when it comes to the other end of the ice, they get too gung-ho and rush a puck that is almost out of the zone usually resulting in an offsides. Goalies will stick down in the butterfly, a stick up their ass moving (saw a goalie tonight be completely in the butterfly sliding around with no leg movements of any kind) and never trying to stretch to stop a puck, especially on the backhand forehand shots on breakaways. Beyond ****ing stupid. I know the AI was really ****ing bad in NHL 12, but at least they would play D by killing guys and poking pucks away when it was near by. I do have to ask, when they made the AI for NHL 13, did they think defensemen should NEVER play the puck (such as poke checking or trying to block shots)? I think EA just thought an AI player was just another play to pass to and only shoot/pass, but never to do anything else.
This is seriously the most frustrating part of NHL. Me and a few of my buddies have an EASHL team but most of the time we can only get about 3 people on at a time. That means either we have to deal with 2 stupid AI defensemen or stick 1/2 of us on defense. And don't even get me started on goalies. So many times we have lost on completely garbage goals.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Having one AI dman isn't always a bad thing if you've got a human on D. They can pick off passes insanely well. My major issue with them is how they constantly switch sides and stay there. If you're left D and venture to far too the right for any reason...congrats! You're now playing right D.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:14 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Sounds like Feb 20th will be the unveiling of ps4
I'm not as excited for this as I was for the PS3. The PS2 was getting old by the time PS3 came out. I feel like the PS3 still has a lot of life left in it.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not as excited for this as I was for the PS3. The PS2 was getting old by the time PS3 came out. I feel like the PS3 still has a lot of life left in it.
I get the same feeling. If the next gen comes out in 2-3 years I'd be good with that. Next year...eh. I don't feel like replacing my PS3 yet.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
I haven't been excited for a Sony console since the PS2. I'm way more excited for the new Microsoft console.

My PS3 is more or less a glorified Bluray player. PSN doesn't even compare to Xbox Live, Achievements > Trophies, Xbox controller > PS1/2/3 controller (how about moving the left analog stick to the proper position?). I can't say that I'm attracted to the Sony exclusives, either.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:00 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I get the same feeling. If the next gen comes out in 2-3 years I'd be good with that. Next year...eh. I don't feel like replacing my PS3 yet.
Exactly. I don't know but I would imagine the starting price is going to be quite high as well. As long as they still make PS3 games and nothing truly epic is going to be exclusive for the PS4 (something like a new Metal Gear, Elder Scrolls, God of War, etc), I will probably hold on to my PS3 until the first price drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
I haven't been excited for a Sony console since the PS2. I'm way more excited for the new Microsoft console.

My PS3 is more or less a glorified Bluray player. PSN doesn't even compare to Xbox Live, Achievements > Trophies, Xbox controller > PS1/2/3 controller (how about moving the left analog stick to the proper position?). I can't say that I'm attracted to the Sony exclusives, either.
I was never in to Microsoft games. I am not a big FPS guy so the Halos of the world and online COD types never really drew me to Xbox. I do very little online gaming so I am perfectly fine that Xbox Live is better than the PSN. With the exception of a couple, I tend to enjoy the PS3 exclusives better than the Xbox exclusives. As far as the controller goes, I never liked the Xbox controller from the beginning and have always thought the PS controller to be excellent.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Pricing for the systems for the least expensive one is $400 (well according to rumors anyway).

This time around, I think I am going to wait for the full specs of each to come out. I have both a 360 and PS3, but admit that I played the 360 more due to the online atmosphere. The 360 dasherboard was more friendly also, as the PS3 one seemed confined to me.

But Im not a fanboy where Im going either or 100% without looking up the final specs, game designing studios, etc. So far, the PS4 IS looking like the stronger system graphics wise though.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:28 AM
flyersfan018

vCash: 150
Quote:
Having one AI dman isn't always a bad thing if you've got a human on D. They can pick off passes insanely well. My major issue with them is how they constantly switch sides and stay there. If you're left D and venture to far too the right for any reason...congrats! You're now playing right D.
Yea, they are really good at intercepting passes but they also never pokecheck and are terrible at positioning. Not to mention they can't even pass it out of the zone.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The 360 dasherboard was more friendly also, as the PS3 one seemed confined to me.
The Dashboard, Windows 8/RT, and Windows Phone OS (whatever the old one is called) are all directly descended from the Zune HD. The Zune HD is ****ing amazing and I hate the world for not accepting it.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:12 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Quote:
They JUST released another PS3 model a couple months ago, and will replace it with a brand new system in about a year. Sony has a habit of shooting themselves in the foot with gaming.

Excitement may also be down because the gaming industry is slowly dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Pricing for the systems for the least expensive one is $400 (well according to rumors anyway).

This time around, I think I am going to wait for the full specs of each to come out. I have both a 360 and PS3, but admit that I played the 360 more due to the online atmosphere. The 360 dasherboard was more friendly also, as the PS3 one seemed confined to me.

But Im not a fanboy where Im going either or 100% without looking up the final specs, game designing studios, etc. So far, the PS4 IS looking like the stronger system graphics wise though.
PS3 was much stronger than the 360 at the start, and still is to this day, but they went for years without utilizing the capabilities of their elite graphics. I'd be interested to see how many questionable decisions they make out of the gates again.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Excitement may also be down because the gaming industry is slowly dying.

PS3 was much stronger than the 360 at the start, and still is to this day, but they went for years without utilizing the capabilities of their elite graphics. I'd be interested to see how many questionable decisions they make out of the gates again.
Slowly dying? I believe Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 just broke more sales records. Gaming is far from dying.

PS3 was never stronger than the 360. The 360 was released a year before of the PS3, so it actually had a large head start in terms of software development. In the early 2000s, 3rd party titles sold more copies for the PS2 compared to the original Xbox. This changed with the following generation of consoles. 3rd party titles became more popular on Xbox 360 than PS3.

Development is huge. The 360 is basically a PC. Games are designed on the PC/Xbox 360. Those games have to be ported over to the PS3, and those ports can be awful. Some ports had glaring graphical issues like missing textures, shadows, slow texture load, draw distance, etc.. Games developed from the ground-up on PS3 definitely looked and played a bit better, but those games weren't amazingly different than Xbox 360 exclusives in terms of performance, graphical feats, etc. I remember buying Metal Gear Solid 4 only to be let down by the graphics.

Then came the issue of multiple SKUs. Got an original PS3? Great, you can play PS2 games. My 80gb PS3? Nope. It can't play PS2 games. Now what the **** is that? Oh yours has 3 USB ports? Mine only has 2.. wtfm8.

I loved my Playstation. I loved my PS2. I played countless hours of MGS, MGS2, God of War, Gran Turismo, FF7.. When PS3 came out and did its thing, I felt little to no desire to play MGS4, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5 (GT3 was the last good GT, Forza took the crown ages ago. GT is now a joke). Side note: I kind of hate myself for never finishing God of War 2 and never playing God of War 3. I heard the game is freaking amazing.

/angrygamerrant

Old
02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I loved my Playstation. I loved my PS2. I played countless hours of MGS, MGS2, God of War, Gran Turismo, FF7.. When PS3 came out and did its thing, I felt little to no desire to play MGS4, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5 (GT3 was the last good GT, Forza took the crown ages ago. GT is now a joke). Side note: I kind of hate myself for never finishing God of War 2 and never playing God of War 3. I heard the game is freaking amazing.

/angrygamerrant
MGS4, God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5 (aside from the absurd loading time) were all awesome. New God of War looks pretty sick as well. I really only play sports games with a few big name titles strewn in there so maybe I am not the best reference, but I would take PS3 all day long.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:29 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
MGS4, God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5 (aside from the absurd loading time) were all awesome. New God of War looks pretty sick as well. I really only play sports games with a few big name titles strewn in there so maybe I am not the best reference, but I would take PS3 all day long.
Even though the sports games were developed for the Xbox

Gran Turismo 5 was definitely far from awesome.

EDIT: I remember buying Gran Turismo 4 only to come home and realize that it was a giant piece of ****. I traded in GT4 for this new "Forza" title that Microsoft published.. it was supposed to be the Gran Turismo contender for Xbox. Contender? Yeah right, Forza blew Gran Turismo out of the water. Does Gran Turismo even have car damage yet?!

EDIT: Now I just want to go home and shred some Halo4.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Slowly dying? I believe Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 just broke more sales records. Gaming is far from dying.

PS3 was never stronger than the 360. The 360 was released a year before of the PS3, so it actually had a large head start in terms of software development. In the early 2000s, 3rd party titles sold more copies for the PS2 compared to the original Xbox. This changed with the following generation of consoles. 3rd party titles became more popular on Xbox 360 than PS3.

Development is huge. The 360 is basically a PC. Games are designed on the PC/Xbox 360. Those games have to be ported over to the PS3, and those ports can be awful. Some ports had glaring graphical issues like missing textures, shadows, slow texture load, draw distance, etc.. Games developed from the ground-up on PS3 definitely looked and played a bit better, but those games weren't amazingly different than Xbox 360 exclusives in terms of performance, graphical feats, etc. I remember buying Metal Gear Solid 4 only to be let down by the graphics.

Then came the issue of multiple SKUs. Got an original PS3? Great, you can play PS2 games. My 80gb PS3? Nope. It can't play PS2 games. Now what the **** is that? Oh yours has 3 USB ports? Mine only has 2.. wtfm8.

/angrygamerrant
Hmm...aside from the first sentence about the industry dying, you just supported in detail everything I said. Sony makes questionable decisions (like making a system with incredible graphics and doesn't use them) and is losing 3rd party support (the Vita is a great system which is going absolutely nowhere because it has no 3rd party support).

As for the industry dying...what is there outside of maybe...15 huge selling games a year? On top of that, there are 2-5 games that hugely outpace all the rest. CoD is roughly the same game every year, with a few tweaks, yet the same sheep walk in and drop another $65 on it and more $$$ to renew their online accounts. 3rd party developers are dropping like flies. Overall, sales numbers are down.

/gameretailerresponse

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:19 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Even though the sports games were developed for the Xbox

Gran Turismo 5 was definitely far from awesome.

EDIT: I remember buying Gran Turismo 4 only to come home and realize that it was a giant piece of ****. I traded in GT4 for this new "Forza" title that Microsoft published.. it was supposed to be the Gran Turismo contender for Xbox. Contender? Yeah right, Forza blew Gran Turismo out of the water. Does Gran Turismo even have car damage yet?!

EDIT: Now I just want to go home and shred some Halo4.
GT5 is the best racing game out there hands down Forza doesn't hold a candle to it. PS3 exclusives blow anything xbox has out of the water. I play xbox more simply because the online is better and my club in NHL for xbox is a top 10 club but when it comes down to which system has the better games PS3 wins hands down. This is coming from one of the biggest Halo fanboys back in my hey day. I was payed to play Halo 2 through most of my highschool years and enjoy the competitive multiplayer it offers. The game itself is "meh" compared to the top flight stuff PS3 has to offer. COD is the same game it was in 2007 when the first Modern Warfare came out. And its crap at that.

The Uncharted series, Infamous series, Little Big Planet, God of War, Killzone series, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Journey, Demon Souls, M.A.G. and Metal Gear Solid are all ridiculous. Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2 and 3 are the best games I've ever played hands down.

That all said. It's too soon for a PS4. Xbox needs to put out a new console because their system was well behind the PS3 in terms of what it could do in the first place. But there is a ton of untapped potential left in the PS3. Not a single game has taken advantage of the full power that system can offer. I will buy it anyway because The Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls, and Watch Dogs look great.

Quote:

Playstation controller is the original and is better then the xbox's. However if you want to play playstation with the analog stick in the "proper" place, there are controllers for the playstation with the same setup as the xbox's

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
GT5 is the best racing game out there hands down Forza doesn't hold a candle to it. PS3 exclusives blow anything xbox has out of the water. I play xbox more simply because the online is better and my club in NHL for xbox is a top 10 club but when it comes down to which system has the better games PS3 wins hands down. This is coming from one of the biggest Halo fanboys back in my hey day. I was payed to play Halo 2 through most of my highschool years and enjoy the competitive multiplayer it offers. The game itself is "meh" compared to the top flight stuff PS3 has to offer. COD is the same game it was in 2007 when the first Modern Warfare came out. And its crap at that.

The Uncharted series, Infamous series, Little Big Planet, God of War, Killzone series, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Journey, Demon Souls, M.A.G. and Metal Gear Solid are all ridiculous. Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2 and 3 are the best games I've ever played hands down.

That all said. It's too soon for a PS4. Xbox needs to put out a new console because their system was well behind the PS3 in terms of what it could do in the first place. But there is a ton of untapped potential left in the PS3. Not a single game has taken advantage of the full power that system can offer. I will buy it anyway because The Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls, and Watch Dogs look great.

Playstation controller is the original and is better then the xbox's. However if you want to play playstation with the analog stick in the "proper" place, there are controllers for the playstation with the same setup as the xbox's
I feel that those might be the last games to really tap the potential of the PS3. The PS3 has 6/7 year old hardware in it and even most games on medium or sometimes low on the PC can still beat out the PS3 and 360 in terms of graphics and power. Also, 7 years is a normal cycle for Playstation consoles (1994 - PS1, 2000 - PS2, 2006 - PS3, 2013 - PS4). When a new consoles comes out, it doesn't mean support will stop for it and it doesn't mean they will stop making the system. It took till January 4th of this year to stop worldwide manufacturing of the PS2 (2000-2013). As a PC gamer seeing all the features that games, the programs that run them (Steam, Origin, etc) and so on have, the PS3 is missing out on a lot and a new system would definitely help push some great features for the Playstation brand.

And just letting you know, I already do have the Survival Edition of The Last of Us fully pre-ordered.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Baby Face Trilla

I think PS has a much better controller setup than 360. When you're holding something in your hands the left stick is in a much more natural landing spot for the thumb. I also prefer the convex stick top. My thumb got tortured playing NHL on 360 and it is a complete non-issue with PS.

Baby Face Trilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
kimmofan44

I'm playing devil may cry(2nd playthrough) great game. can't wait for God of war ascension and new metal gear, my psn tag is kimmofan44, hit me up if you want to challenge me in super street fighter 4 , uncharted 3 multiplayer and borderlands

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I also much prefer the PS controller to Xbox.