HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > By The Numbers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
By The Numbers Hockey Analytics... the Final Frontier. Explore strange new worlds, to seek out new algorithms, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Halak: 229 minutes, 2 shutouts.........0.889 SV%

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
  #1
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Halak: 229 minutes, 2 shutouts.........0.889 SV%

That stat line is hilarious.

Another reason shutouts (and wins) are meaningless goalie stats.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
  #2
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
When you only face 15 shots a game it is hard to have a high save %.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
  #3
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
More like shutouts on STL don't matter, their goalies can get a 10 save shutout on the reg

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:05 PM
  #4
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,416
vCash: 500
Tough to draw any meaningful conclusions regarding goalie stats on such a small sample size (5 games).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:06 PM
  #5
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,959
vCash: 300
The Blues are dominant. Halak is facing less than 20 shots a game.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:06 PM
  #6
Dellstrom
We Like Eich
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 18,332
vCash: 500
Whenever Halak faces a shot it's probably a good one, since the Blues block close to everything, if they even allow the other team into their zone...

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:08 PM
  #7
CoopALoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van, Bandwagoner
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
That stat line is hilarious.

Another reason shutouts (and wins) are meaningless goalie stats.
72 shots against in 5 games.

That's an average of 14.4 shots per game. It's tough to have a high SV% when you're facing almost 0 shots.

This thread is hilarious and ill-informed.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:10 PM
  #8
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
That stat line is hilarious.

Another reason shutouts (and wins) are meaningless goalie stats.
It's also another reason why save percentage is essentially meaningless. Obviously not as meaningless as W and SO, but still doesn't hold much value.

All the standard goalie stats should be taken with context.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:12 PM
  #9
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It's also another reason why save percentage is essentially meaningless. Obviously not as meaningless as W and SO, but still doesn't hold much value.
No, Save percentage means everything. You can look a little deeper to see how many shots the guy is facing and most people do in order to get a fully accurate read on the goalie. Watching the games helps too so you can see how the team defends in front of him. Context matters but the stat is still the best way we have to evaluate goalies.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:15 PM
  #10
frostyflo
#peskyblues
 
frostyflo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,015
vCash: 500
nothing new Halak plays better under pressure
shoot 15 times at him and you gonna get a 'normal' ne and a soft one
shoot 50 times and you still get a normal one and have to grind the 2nd one in



i guess if you put him into, per example, the Leafs net he maybe wouldn't have 2 SOs but a much higher SV%

and 2 shutouts, no matter how much shots he got, is not bad especially since we can consider him as a guy who starts slow into a new season

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
  #11
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,154
vCash: 500
Such a small sample size. At this point in the season, none of the goalie stats are the least bit reliable. He's come out early in 2 of his games, one for injury, the other to turn momentum. Wait until the end of the season, and his numbers will be similar to where they were last year.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:21 PM
  #12
frostyflo
#peskyblues
 
frostyflo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
No, Save percentage means everything. You can look a little deeper to see how many shots the guy is facing and most people do in order to get a fully accurate read on the goalie. Watching the games helps too so you can see how the team defends in front of him. Context matters but the stat is still the best way we have to evaluate goalies.
don't say you are wrong but its not the whole truth. 15 saves on Jason Blake shots directly on your chest make your SV% look better than 5 high quality shots from a sniper. I still agree with your last sentence. and watching the games makes you know more for sure but is not very helpful for stats

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:21 PM
  #13
Bruv
kissin kevin shields
 
Bruv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: naboo
Country: Finland
Posts: 53,544
vCash: 500
off to a slow start big deal.

When Halak's right, he's a top 5-7 goalie in the league

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:23 PM
  #14
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
That stat line is hilarious.

Another reason shutouts (and wins) are meaningless goalie stats.
The fans who just look at box scores or have fantasy leagues will never understand this. A goalie's stats can reflect the way his team plays in front of him just as much as they can reflect him. Goalies who play on firewagon teams are going to have worse stats than goalies who are on teams that play traps.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
  #15
Bruv
kissin kevin shields
 
Bruv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: naboo
Country: Finland
Posts: 53,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
nothing new Halak plays better under pressure
shoot 15 times at him and you gonna get a 'normal' ne and a soft one
shoot 50 times and you still get a normal one and have to grind the 2nd one in



i guess if you put him into, per example, the Leafs net he maybe wouldn't have 2 SOs but a much higher SV%

and 2 shutouts, no matter how much shots he got, is not bad especially since we can consider him as a guy who starts slow into a new season
Which is why I think the Blues D should let more shots get to Halak

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
  #16
DL44
Registered User
 
DL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 6,265
vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
That stat line is hilarious.

Another reason shutouts (and wins) are meaningless goalie stats.
It actually kinda suggests that Sv% is the meaningless stat here..

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:28 PM
  #17
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,756
vCash: 500
Like most goalies, Halak performs better when he's facing a lot of shots.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
  #18
bewbies
Registered User
 
bewbies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Halak (and Elliot) do what the Blues need them to do most of the time, which is to take smart angles, stop the first shot, and make the occasional big save. I don't think that either one would be particularly great outside of STL, nor do I think some very good goalies (who thrive on a high workload) would be great fits in STL.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:31 PM
  #19
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,449
vCash: 500
He's the new Brodeur.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
  #20
Bruv
kissin kevin shields
 
Bruv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: naboo
Country: Finland
Posts: 53,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
Halak (and Elliot) do what the Blues need them to do most of the time, which is to take smart angles, stop the first shot, and make the occasional big save. I don't think that either one would be particularly great outside of STL, nor do I think some very good goalies (who thrive on a high workload) would be great fits in STL.
Halak would be fine if he played somewhere else than the Blues because he plays much better when he sees more shots

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:33 PM
  #21
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Like most goalies, Halak performs better when he's facing a lot of shots.
That also brings up another point. Quality of shots faced could be more important than quantity. If the guys in front of the goalie keep giving up big scoring opportunities, then it won't take many shots to score a lot of goals. On the other hand, if the team plays very tight around the goalie, he could have a 40 save shutout, but the majority of those shots could be garbage shots that didn't have a chance of going in.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
  #22
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
That's because he's a completely average goalie playing behind a fantastic team.


Last edited by TMI: 02-05-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: unnecessary
BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:04 PM
  #23
Burke the Legend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
off to a slow start big deal.

When Halak's right, he's a top 5-7 goalie in the league
no he isn't... he has always been kind of a mediocre goalie with some weaknesses (5-hole, juicy rebounds), who has had the ability to sometimes get into red-hot mental zones where his focus is crazy good.

Even during his hero playoff run with Montreal the wheels came off in the conf final when he flopped out of this razor edge zone he was in for the previous 2 series.

So yeah maybe he can be top 5, when he is playing his absolute, unbeatable best, but when you get this Halak is impossible to predict which makes him somewhat less than a top 5 goalie. He is kind of like Anderson in that regards, although Anderson is hot more frequently.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
  #24
Grimlore
Registered User
 
Grimlore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
That's because he's a completely average goalie playing behind a fantastic team.

That's it, really nothing else to say. The Blues fans who think he's a top 5 goalie are just biased and misinformed.
Two shutouts in 5 games is pretty terrible...

There are better teams than the Blues so far this year, and their goalies don't have 2 shutouts.


Last edited by TMI: 02-05-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Grimlore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:10 PM
  #25
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,084
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
It looks fun for sure. But that stat line would probably happen to a lot of goalies on the Blues. They are still the team that has impressed me the most this year.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.