Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Lazar isn't high enough guy is going to be a great 2nd line center for some lucky team.

Jones is going to go number 1 with out a doubt. If the Jets have a chance at him that would be fantastic.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Did a single first rounder from Button's tenure with the Flames turn out? If he was good at drafting players, he'd be doing that instead of making lists for TSN.
Button was head of scouting for Dallas and found guys like Iginila,Morrow,Turco,Langenbrunner and Harvey. He was GM in Calgary and drafted players like Stoll,Kobasew,Lombardi,Moss, and Moen.

He is also well respected by scouting people and a really good guy to talk with at the rink.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Lazar isn't high enough guy is going to be a great 2nd line center for some lucky team.

Jones is going to go number 1 with out a doubt. If the Jets have a chance at him that would be fantastic.
Having a chance is one thing... they'd still have to pick him.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
Having a chance is one thing... they'd still have to pick him.
Yes... because all of the Jets' picks are huge reaches...

Old
02-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Huffer

Updated top 75 from Button:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Nice players even into the 3rd.

For arguments sake, let's assume that we have the same pick as last year (number 9)

For round 1 you can pick 2 places ahead (7) and obviously as many places behind.
For round 2 and 3 you can pick 5 places ahead and as many places behind.
Who do you pick?

I.E.

Round 1: (rankings 7+):
Round 2: (rankings 34+):
Round 2: (CHI) (Rankings 43+):
Round 2: (Rankings 54+):
Round 3: (Rankings 64+):
Round 3: (CHI) (Rankings 73+):

Last edited by Huffer: 02-04-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

For arguments sake, let's assume that we have the same pick as last year (number 9)

For round 1 you can pick 2 places ahead (7) and obviously as many places behind.
For round 2 you can pick 5 places ahead and as many places behind.
Who do you pick?

I.E.

1. Elias Lindholm
2. Andre Burakowsky
2. Ian McCoshen
2. John Hayden
3. William Carrier
3. Hudson Fasching

It would end up being the Sweden/American draft for us.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Fuelled by Passion

H-m with Buff, Bogo and Trouba I would easily pick MacKinnon as we don't have even lower tier #1 C. And MacKinnon could very well be top tier #1 center.
If we going to draft this high I wish we finally draft our number 1 center

Old
02-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
1. Elias Lindholm
2. Andre Burakowsky
2. Ian McCoshen
2. John Hayden
3. William Carrier
3. Hudson Fasching

Love to hear your thoughts on your picks.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:54 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:

Who do you pick?

I.E.

Round 1: Lindholm
Round 2: Buchnevich
Round 2: Burakowsky (De La Rose and Bailey)
Round 2: Wheaton (Subban)
Round 3: Carrier (Hayden and Sorensen)
Round 3: Faushing

Brackets are people I considered heavily.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:16 PM
jetkarma

Quote:

Who do you pick?

I.E.

Round 1: Elias Lindholm
Round 2: Mirco Muller
Round 2: Marko Dano
Round 2: Zach Nastasiuk
Round 3: William Carrier
Round 3: Shea Theodore

Lots of very good players , we should really add both quality and depth.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:08 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
1. Elias Lindholm
2. Andre Burakowsky
2. Ian McCoshen
2. John Hayden
3. William Carrier
3. Hudson Fasching

Identical to how I would pick. I think that Fasching will be a riser though and if TN really likes him, they won't wait until their 2nd pick in the 3rd round. He's an enticing package of size, and skill with loads of upside. Another Adam Lowry type pick.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:

Who do you pick?

I.E.

Round 1: Darnell Nurse - I like Nurse a lot. He is big,strong and has good offensive acumen. I think he is a Jet type of draft pick. I mean do people really think the Jets will draft a 5'10 swede? I don't.
Round 2: Madison Bowey - I am going to cheat because I think if Bowey is available near that pick they are going to want him. Local boy is an offensive dynamo with good wheels from the backend.
Round 2: Jacob De La Rose - Jet fans get there swede but a swede that the current jets managment can live with. Jacob is a big powerful center who plays a solid two way game. Gives us another option going forward down the middle where we need to get stronger.
Round 2: Samuel Morin - Sam is a budding 6'7 monster on the backend. He is starting to show a bit more to his game then being a pure defensive guy. A definite project pick.
Round 3: Wililam Carrier - Oh look another forward with size. William is a sleeper so much so that I bet he goes far earlier. A budding power forward who will probably end up playing wing in the pros. Speed,size and toughness all rolled up into a nice package.
Round 3: Mason Geertzen - A big tough hombre on the backend. Another guy who can play a lot of different ways. Probably best suited to a shut down role and guy who will protect his team mates.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Round 1: Darnell Nurse - I like Nurse a lot. He is big,strong and has good offensive acumen. I think he is a Jet type of draft pick. I mean do people really think the Jets will draft a 5'10 swede? I don't.
Round 2: Madison Bowey - I am going to cheat because I think if Bowey is available near that pick they are going to want him. Local boy is an offensive dynamo with good wheels from the backend.
Round 2: Jacob De La Rose - Jet fans get there swede but a swede that the current jets managment can live with. Jacob is a big powerful center who plays a solid two way game. Gives us another option going forward down the middle where we need to get stronger.
Round 2: Samuel Morin - Sam is a budding 6'7 monster on the backend. He is starting to show a bit more to his game then being a pure defensive guy. A definite project pick.
Round 3: Wililam Carrier - Oh look another forward with size. William is a sleeper so much so that I bet he goes far earlier. A budding power forward who will probably end up playing wing in the pros. Speed,size and toughness all rolled up into a nice package.
Round 3: Mason Geertzen - A big tough hombre on the backend. Another guy who can play a lot of different ways. Probably best suited to a shut down role and guy who will protect his team mates.
Thanks for the explanations Joe. Imagine Nurse and Morin together with Bogo and Trouba?

Old
02-05-2013, 12:24 PM
jetkarma

We'll see at the combine but most reports have Lindholm at 5-11 and even at 6 foot as opposed to 5-10. Plus he plays gritty and isn't a soft player.

Impact player with average/so so size over average player with plus size imo. Cheveldayoff has mentioned multiple times that he wants an impact player if/when they pick at the top of the draft.

JETS love size , no doubt , I believe they realize they are lacking a dynamic , play making , creative C and if they have a chance to get one this year in a very talented and deep draft where they may be drafting higher than they will for years , I don't see Lindholm's size as an issue.

But we'll see, so many ways the Jets could go , trade up , trade down , trade for players ...like Chevy said his goal is to be agressive , and he has the choices to be that.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:33 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
We'll see at the combine but most reports have Lindholm at 5-11 and even at 6 foot as opposed to 5-10. Plus he plays gritty and isn't a soft player.

Impact player with average/so so size over average player with plus size imo. Cheveldayoff has mentioned multiple times that he wants an impact player if/when they pick at the top of the draft.

JETS love size , no doubt , I believe they realize they are lacking a dynamic , play making , creative C and if they have a chance to get one this year in a very talented and deep draft where they may be drafting higher than they will for years , I don't see Lindholm's size as an issue.

But we'll see, so many ways the Jets could go , trade up , trade down , trade for players ...like Chevy said his goal is to be agressive , and he has the choices to be that.
I agree 100%

More size and less talent doesn't sound very good, plus Lindholm is already 6' ish and 185', so 6'1 195-200 isn't out of the question and that isn't small it is average. There are a lot of really really good players in that size range.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Pluuuuus Nurse is overrated as bollocks. Just my opinion though. Good player, just overrated.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Joe Hallenback

What ever you guys think or what ever I think it matters what the Jets think

The Jets have drafted the following players in the top 2 rounds

Scheifle
Trouba
Sutter

All 3 have 1 thing in common. Size

Sorry but it is a pretty big criteria for the Org and Lindholm is a talented player but big nor gritty he is not.

Just tossing that out there before you guys get crazy but it is the truth

Old
02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Boreal

Preferably neither, but if I must have one on my team, then I much prefer to have Clitsome.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:23 PM
jetkarma

Quote:

Scheifle
Trouba
Sutter

Sorry but it is a pretty big criteria for the Org and Lindholm is a talented player but big nor gritty he is not.

That is who they have drafted to date , while 2 years and three picks are an indication , it isn't set in stone that they would not draft an average sized elitely talented player.

I disagree that Lindholm isn't gritty btw , the little I have seen indicates he is , and the reports also provide that scouting report.

I have no doubt the JETS would prefer a 6-3 215 pound equally skilled C over one at 6 -190 , but I don't think they take size over elite skill , just my opinion.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Plus if we were going for size above all else I would hope so so very much we would choose Zadorov over Nurse.

I'd take Pullock over both of them though.

Last edited by Sweech: 02-05-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
JetsHomer

Lindholms pretty gritty. Just cause a guys Swedish doesn't make them soft...

Old
02-05-2013, 02:46 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Would be interesting to watch Bowey and Yuen come up together. Those guys can skate!

I'm not a huge Nurse fan, although he is a LHD. Depending where we pick I think this a good draft to go for some high-end forward talent early, even if the guy is a Euro and maybe a bit flaky. Leave the comfort zone for a pick or two.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:54 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Scheifle
Trouba
Sutter

Sutter is 6'1
Kosmachuk is 6'0
Yuen is 6'0

They have also brought in some little dudes to prospect camp. Zach Mitchell, Zach O'Brien for example.

I don't think we have anything to indicate that the Jets will pass on a talented six footer.

FWIW, the Jets passed on a 6'4 Couturier and a 6'4 Hamilton to draft a 6'2 Scheifele in 2011. They also passed on a 6'3 Grigerenko and a 6'3 Ceci to draft a 6'2 Trouba in 2012. It isn't as simple as a measuring tape.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Sutter is 6'1
Kosmachuk is 6'0
Yuen is 6'0

They have also brought in some little dudes to prospect camp. Zach Mitchell, Zach O'Brien for example.

I don't think we have anything to indicate that the Jets will pass on a talented six footer.

FWIW, the Jets passed on a 6'4 Couturier and a 6'4 Hamilton to draft a 6'2 Scheifele in 2011. They also passed on a 6'3 Grigerenko and a 6'3 Ceci to draft a 6'2 Trouba in 2012. It isn't as simple as a measuring tape.
Sutter,Komaschuk and Yuen are 3 gritty guys. It is size combined with Attitude or as we like to say intangibles.

I know the stat junkies hate that word "intangibles" but those 3 guys have it in spades.

They pass on Grigs or Ceci to draft a guy with "intangibles" like Trouba. A guy who is hard rock on the point and showed it at the WJC.

I am not saying they totally cut out "small" players but lets face facts the idea of drafting a smallish euro forward at that spot doesn't fit what Chevaldayoff likes to do.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:44 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Sutter,Komaschuk and Yuen are 3 gritty guys. It is size combined with Attitude or as we like to say intangibles.

I know the stat junkies hate that word "intangibles" but those 3 guys have it in spades.

They pass on Grigs or Ceci to draft a guy with "intangibles" like Trouba. A guy who is hard rock on the point and showed it at the WJC.

I am not saying they totally cut out "small" players but lets face facts the idea of drafting a smallish euro forward at that spot doesn't fit what Chevaldayoff likes to do.
Fair, but I haven't heard anybody question Lindholm's intangibles. Plus he tangibly creates offence.

Closed Thread