HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #15 - Power failure at Super Bowl (Literally)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Culk, why should teams wait it out with Alex Smith?
There's a very solid chance San Francisco will cut him and let him decide his future.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:48 PM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
There's a very solid chance San Francisco will cut him and let him decide his future.
Eh, I don't know. You have some teams that could be interested in both him and Matt Flynn. The QB class for this years draft is suppose to be horrible. There are quite a few teams out there that could use a new QB.

Jets
Dolphins
Bills - although not sure if they can buy Fitz out yet
Browns
Raiders
Chiefs
Titans - might not be ready to give up on Locker yet, but I don't see a future for him as a starter
Jaguars
Cardinals

Not even QBs in the draft for all of those teams to fill their needs, and not really a ton of backups or FAs they can target. Someone will trade for Smith, and probably Flynn too.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Eh, I don't know. You have some teams that could be interested in both him and Matt Flynn. The QB class for this years draft is suppose to be horrible. There are quite a few teams out there that could use a new QB.

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Raiders
Chiefs
Titans - might not be ready to give up on Locker yet, but I don't see a future for him as a starter
Jaguars
Cardinals

Not even QBs in the draft for all of those teams to fill their needs, and not really a ton of backups or FAs they can target. Someone will trade for Smith, and probably Flynn too.
Tannehill...

Old
02-04-2013, 07:26 PM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Tannehill...
Oops, blanked on him.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:38 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

There's no way that the 49ers just let Smith walk when they could get plenty in a trade for him. They'll try to make sure he's ok with where they attempt to trade him to, but if they can't make him happy, it's still a business and they'll trade him wherever they get the best return.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:37 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
There's no way that the 49ers just let Smith walk when they could get plenty in a trade for him. They'll try to make sure he's ok with where they attempt to trade him to, but if they can't make him happy, it's still a business and they'll trade him wherever they get the best return.
Your not going to get much, most experts predict a late late round pick with options to make it a middle to late round pick, like 6th rounder that could become a 5th if he starts X amount of games and a 4th if they makes the play-offs, etc. He isn't a top 10 pick and he is going to be 29 next year. Could get a similar player in the middle rounds of the draft who is 8 years younger and would have to pay millions less.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why cut Smith? Really?

49ers will get something for him and that something will hold value. Teams won't like to get into a bidding war while he has a solid contract. He is worth that 3rd round pick.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:33 AM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
I think he'll nab a 3rd and a 5th in the end.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Raiders
Chiefs
Jaguars
Cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Tannehill...
Also would say the Raiders will have zero interest

Palmer is still much better QB then Smith

Old
02-05-2013, 11:24 AM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Also would say the Raiders will have zero interest

Palmer is still much better QB then Smith
Don't ask why, but I watched a lot of Raiders games this year... and Palmer is absolute garbage. He just piled up numbers because of how bad that team was and constantly having to throw while being behind. Not to mention he is already in his mid-30s.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:01 PM
madgoat33

yea palmer isn't better than Smith at all. and say what you want about Smith being a "game manager", dude still plays well and is the most effective "game manager" in the league. ****, after watching schaub this year, im tempted to say Smith is better than him.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Gootie
GOATie

It's very easy to be a good game manager when you play with the offense the 49ers had. He'll go back to being a poor QB when he goes to KC or wherever.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
digdug41982

Smith to the Jets makes sense.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Recoil

The more I think about it (and I know it will NEVER happen) Jurko's idea that the Ravens should trade Flacco makes perfect sense:

1) Flacco will suck up a huge part of their salary cap
2) They need to focus on resigning some key defensive players (Reed, etc) or they will really start to lose talent, and Flacco's cap number could hinder that
3) Two first round picks to a struggling team (meaning, upper first round)? That would go a LONG way to adding younger talent to a team that's already in pretty good shape.
4) Still need a QB? Forget the draft, go after Flynn/Smith or someone of that nature until you can find the guy you want to draft at some point. With a star-studded team, both of those may be just fine (especially since I consider Flacco above average, NOT elite).

I realize it would NEVER happen. No Superbowl winning team has ever traded their Superbowl MVP QB before. But from the outside looking in, man they could net a huge haul for him, not have to soak up his cap number and starve the rest of the team, and keep themselves on an excellent pace to sustain a playoff team.

BTW I believe the 2 first round picks is an option not just via trade, but if they make Flacco a non-exclusive Franchise Tag player, if I remember correctly.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Illinihockey

Quarterbacking is everything in the NFL. If you trade Flacco, you're then just using picks to try to find another quarterback. Guy just won the MVP of the Superbowl after throwing 11 TD's and 0 INT's in the playoffs.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

Lions cut Vanden Bosch. Apparently he was due like $7M in bonuses and stuff, and his cap hit was going to be north of $10M. Lions must think he is done, because they brought in the guy he had his career resurgence with back in Tennessee... and still cut him.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Gootie
GOATie

Next place he goes is the glue factory

Old
02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

Cool tool... shows a breakdown of how and where each team spend their money on each side of the ball, and special teams.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/inte...,chicago-bears

Old
02-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Lions cut Vanden Bosch. Apparently he was due like $7M in bonuses and stuff, and his cap hit was going to be north of $10M. Lions must think he is done, because they brought in the guy he had his career resurgence with back in Tennessee... and still cut him.
I dont see it that way

They likely cut him because they need the $$$ to sign Cliff Avril to longterm deal

Old
02-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
The more I think about it (and I know it will NEVER happen) Jurko's idea that the Ravens should trade Flacco makes perfect sense:

1) Flacco will suck up a huge part of their salary cap
2) They need to focus on resigning some key defensive players (Reed, etc) or they will really start to lose talent, and Flacco's cap number could hinder that
3) Two first round picks to a struggling team (meaning, upper first round)? That would go a LONG way to adding younger talent to a team that's already in pretty good shape.
4) Still need a QB? Forget the draft, go after Flynn/Smith or someone of that nature until you can find the guy you want to draft at some point. With a star-studded team, both of those may be just fine (especially since I consider Flacco above average, NOT elite).

I realize it would NEVER happen. No Superbowl winning team has ever traded their Superbowl MVP QB before. But from the outside looking in, man they could net a huge haul for him, not have to soak up his cap number and starve the rest of the team, and keep themselves on an excellent pace to sustain a playoff team.

BTW I believe the 2 first round picks is an option not just via trade, but if they make Flacco a non-exclusive Franchise Tag player, if I remember correctly.
Jurk is an idiot

Not only is he coming off SB MVP and proven #1 but the simple reality is it took Ravens long enough to draft and develop a QB that dumping Flacco would be horrid move with fans/media/team

Old
02-05-2013, 04:41 PM
madgoat33

yea jurko is dumb. there's what, maybe 5 guys clearly better than flacco in the nfl right now, so how does downgrading at the most important position improve the team? it would be one thing if flacco was 34-35, but he just turned 28.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
RayFIN
Registered Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
yea jurko is dumb. there's what, maybe 5 guys clearly better than flacco in the nfl right now, so how does downgrading at the most important position improve the team? it would be one thing if flacco was 34-35, but he just turned 28.
If you leave it at just that, then yeah, you're right.... but you gotta factor in that he'll be one of the highest paid players in the league. Do you think Flacco is worth $20M+/year and $100M+ contract?

I don't.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:52 PM
madgoat33

but can you win a sb without a top level qb? I'd argue absolutely not. do i think he's worth 20 mill a year? no, but I'd rather overpay a guy i know can get it done then try to build a team (btw, there's no guarantee any pick amounts to anything) then find a qb to fit in it.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
If you leave it at just that, then yeah, you're right.... but you gotta factor in that he'll be one of the highest paid players in the league. Do you think Flacco is worth $20M+/year and $100M+ contract?

I don't.
Re-sign Flacco and accept fact he is overpaid

Not like Flacco will be losing #1 job next year and Ravens will be looking to get out of his contract

He will be Raven for many years to come

Rather overpay for quality QB then go cheap and hope/pray that you can find someone as good

Old
02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

great idea to trade you SB MVP in the offseason after Ray Lewis retired

Closed Thread