HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #15 - Power failure at Super Bowl (Literally)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2013, 06:39 PM
  #751
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 15,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Culk, why should teams wait it out with Alex Smith?
There's a very solid chance San Francisco will cut him and let him decide his future.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 06:48 PM
  #752
RayFIN
Registered Grouch
 
RayFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 70,404
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
There's a very solid chance San Francisco will cut him and let him decide his future.
Eh, I don't know. You have some teams that could be interested in both him and Matt Flynn. The QB class for this years draft is suppose to be horrible. There are quite a few teams out there that could use a new QB.


Jets
Dolphins
Bills - although not sure if they can buy Fitz out yet
Browns
Raiders
Chiefs
Titans - might not be ready to give up on Locker yet, but I don't see a future for him as a starter
Jaguars
Cardinals



Not even QBs in the draft for all of those teams to fill their needs, and not really a ton of backups or FAs they can target. Someone will trade for Smith, and probably Flynn too.

RayFIN is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
  #753
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 31,579
vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Eh, I don't know. You have some teams that could be interested in both him and Matt Flynn. The QB class for this years draft is suppose to be horrible. There are quite a few teams out there that could use a new QB.


Jets
Dolphins
Bills - although not sure if they can buy Fitz out yet
Browns
Raiders
Chiefs
Titans - might not be ready to give up on Locker yet, but I don't see a future for him as a starter
Jaguars
Cardinals



Not even QBs in the draft for all of those teams to fill their needs, and not really a ton of backups or FAs they can target. Someone will trade for Smith, and probably Flynn too.
Tannehill...

MurrayBannerman is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 07:26 PM
  #754
RayFIN
Registered Grouch
 
RayFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 70,404
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Tannehill...
Oops, blanked on him.

RayFIN is online now  
Old
02-04-2013, 08:38 PM
  #755
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!
 
TorMenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 500
There's no way that the 49ers just let Smith walk when they could get plenty in a trade for him. They'll try to make sure he's ok with where they attempt to trade him to, but if they can't make him happy, it's still a business and they'll trade him wherever they get the best return.

TorMenT is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 03:37 AM
  #756
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
There's no way that the 49ers just let Smith walk when they could get plenty in a trade for him. They'll try to make sure he's ok with where they attempt to trade him to, but if they can't make him happy, it's still a business and they'll trade him wherever they get the best return.
Your not going to get much, most experts predict a late late round pick with options to make it a middle to late round pick, like 6th rounder that could become a 5th if he starts X amount of games and a 4th if they makes the play-offs, etc. He isn't a top 10 pick and he is going to be 29 next year. Could get a similar player in the middle rounds of the draft who is 8 years younger and would have to pay millions less.

Sir Psycho T is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:18 AM
  #757
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,671
vCash: 50
why cut Smith? Really?

49ers will get something for him and that something will hold value. Teams won't like to get into a bidding war while he has a solid contract. He is worth that 3rd round pick.

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 09:33 AM
  #758
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 31,579
vCash: 2660
I think he'll nab a 3rd and a 5th in the end.

MurrayBannerman is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
  #759
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 134,348
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Eh, I don't know. You have some teams that could be interested in both him and Matt Flynn. The QB class for this years draft is suppose to be horrible. There are quite a few teams out there that could use a new QB.


Jets
Dolphins
Bills - although not sure if they can buy Fitz out yet
Browns
Raiders
Chiefs
Titans - might not be ready to give up on Locker yet, but I don't see a future for him as a starter
Jaguars
Cardinals

Not even QBs in the draft for all of those teams to fill their needs, and not really a ton of backups or FAs they can target. Someone will trade for Smith, and probably Flynn too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Tannehill...
Also would say the Raiders will have zero interest

Palmer is still much better QB then Smith

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 11:24 AM
  #760
RayFIN
Registered Grouch
 
RayFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 70,404
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Also would say the Raiders will have zero interest

Palmer is still much better QB then Smith
Don't ask why, but I watched a lot of Raiders games this year... and Palmer is absolute garbage. He just piled up numbers because of how bad that team was and constantly having to throw while being behind. Not to mention he is already in his mid-30s.

RayFIN is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:01 PM
  #761
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,944
vCash: 500
yea palmer isn't better than Smith at all. and say what you want about Smith being a "game manager", dude still plays well and is the most effective "game manager" in the league. ****, after watching schaub this year, im tempted to say Smith is better than him.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
  #762
Gootie
GOATie
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 27,811
vCash: 500
It's very easy to be a good game manager when you play with the offense the 49ers had. He'll go back to being a poor QB when he goes to KC or wherever.

Gootie is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
  #763
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,469
vCash: 50
Smith to the Jets makes sense.

digdug41982 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 03:11 PM
  #764
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
The more I think about it (and I know it will NEVER happen) Jurko's idea that the Ravens should trade Flacco makes perfect sense:

1) Flacco will suck up a huge part of their salary cap
2) They need to focus on resigning some key defensive players (Reed, etc) or they will really start to lose talent, and Flacco's cap number could hinder that
3) Two first round picks to a struggling team (meaning, upper first round)? That would go a LONG way to adding younger talent to a team that's already in pretty good shape.
4) Still need a QB? Forget the draft, go after Flynn/Smith or someone of that nature until you can find the guy you want to draft at some point. With a star-studded team, both of those may be just fine (especially since I consider Flacco above average, NOT elite).

I realize it would NEVER happen. No Superbowl winning team has ever traded their Superbowl MVP QB before. But from the outside looking in, man they could net a huge haul for him, not have to soak up his cap number and starve the rest of the team, and keep themselves on an excellent pace to sustain a playoff team.

BTW I believe the 2 first round picks is an option not just via trade, but if they make Flacco a non-exclusive Franchise Tag player, if I remember correctly.

Recoil is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 03:14 PM
  #765
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,006
vCash: 500
Quarterbacking is everything in the NFL. If you trade Flacco, you're then just using picks to try to find another quarterback. Guy just won the MVP of the Superbowl after throwing 11 TD's and 0 INT's in the playoffs.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
  #766
RayFIN
Registered Grouch
 
RayFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 70,404
vCash: 50
Lions cut Vanden Bosch. Apparently he was due like $7M in bonuses and stuff, and his cap hit was going to be north of $10M. Lions must think he is done, because they brought in the guy he had his career resurgence with back in Tennessee... and still cut him.

RayFIN is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
  #767
Gootie
GOATie
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 27,811
vCash: 500
Next place he goes is the glue factory

Gootie is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
  #768
RayFIN
Registered Grouch
 
RayFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 70,404
vCash: 50
Cool tool... shows a breakdown of how and where each team spend their money on each side of the ball, and special teams.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/inte...,chicago-bears

RayFIN is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 04:24 PM
  #769
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 134,348
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Lions cut Vanden Bosch. Apparently he was due like $7M in bonuses and stuff, and his cap hit was going to be north of $10M. Lions must think he is done, because they brought in the guy he had his career resurgence with back in Tennessee... and still cut him.
I dont see it that way

They likely cut him because they need the $$$ to sign Cliff Avril to longterm deal

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 04:25 PM
  #770
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 134,348
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
The more I think about it (and I know it will NEVER happen) Jurko's idea that the Ravens should trade Flacco makes perfect sense:

1) Flacco will suck up a huge part of their salary cap
2) They need to focus on resigning some key defensive players (Reed, etc) or they will really start to lose talent, and Flacco's cap number could hinder that
3) Two first round picks to a struggling team (meaning, upper first round)? That would go a LONG way to adding younger talent to a team that's already in pretty good shape.
4) Still need a QB? Forget the draft, go after Flynn/Smith or someone of that nature until you can find the guy you want to draft at some point. With a star-studded team, both of those may be just fine (especially since I consider Flacco above average, NOT elite).

I realize it would NEVER happen. No Superbowl winning team has ever traded their Superbowl MVP QB before. But from the outside looking in, man they could net a huge haul for him, not have to soak up his cap number and starve the rest of the team, and keep themselves on an excellent pace to sustain a playoff team.

BTW I believe the 2 first round picks is an option not just via trade, but if they make Flacco a non-exclusive Franchise Tag player, if I remember correctly.
Jurk is an idiot

Not only is he coming off SB MVP and proven #1 but the simple reality is it took Ravens long enough to draft and develop a QB that dumping Flacco would be horrid move with fans/media/team

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 04:41 PM
  #771
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,944
vCash: 500
yea jurko is dumb. there's what, maybe 5 guys clearly better than flacco in the nfl right now, so how does downgrading at the most important position improve the team? it would be one thing if flacco was 34-35, but he just turned 28.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
  #772
RayFIN
Registered Grouch
 
RayFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 70,404
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
yea jurko is dumb. there's what, maybe 5 guys clearly better than flacco in the nfl right now, so how does downgrading at the most important position improve the team? it would be one thing if flacco was 34-35, but he just turned 28.
If you leave it at just that, then yeah, you're right.... but you gotta factor in that he'll be one of the highest paid players in the league. Do you think Flacco is worth $20M+/year and $100M+ contract?


I don't.

RayFIN is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 04:52 PM
  #773
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,944
vCash: 500
but can you win a sb without a top level qb? I'd argue absolutely not. do i think he's worth 20 mill a year? no, but I'd rather overpay a guy i know can get it done then try to build a team (btw, there's no guarantee any pick amounts to anything) then find a qb to fit in it.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
  #774
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 134,348
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
If you leave it at just that, then yeah, you're right.... but you gotta factor in that he'll be one of the highest paid players in the league. Do you think Flacco is worth $20M+/year and $100M+ contract?


I don't.
Re-sign Flacco and accept fact he is overpaid

Not like Flacco will be losing #1 job next year and Ravens will be looking to get out of his contract

He will be Raven for many years to come

Rather overpay for quality QB then go cheap and hope/pray that you can find someone as good

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
  #775
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,671
vCash: 50
great idea to trade you SB MVP in the offseason after Ray Lewis retired

Bubba88 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.