HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVIII All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 06:12 AM
  #576
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Apparently Gainey did.
Incredibly so. This has to be one of the worst decisions ever....getting Gomez and his contract....letting McDonagh go and letting Koivu go.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 11:58 AM
  #577
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Scouts at Leafs-Cane's game.

Last night, Basu wrote on twitter that there was plenty of scouts at the Leafs-Canes game, some teams even had 2.

He wrote that Habs had 2 themselves.

Now. I didn't read any rumor and I don't want to start any. I just want to see who you guys think may be of interest for the habs in these 2 teams, given what Habs may have to offer.

LePoche69 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 11:59 AM
  #578
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,723
vCash: 500
we play them saturday
think it was a case of advance scouting?

AntonCH is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:03 PM
  #579
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Maybe... But Basu wasn't talking about game scouting. And he knows them scouts.

LePoche69 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:06 PM
  #580
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
Nonis made it public that he's still in the works of making 'moves', and hinted at the abundance of his forwards.

Whenever someone is looking to sell (you can look at this as increase in supply), smart thing to do is to take a look, since you might be able to get a good deal.

uiCk is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:08 PM
  #581
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,593
vCash: 137
Kessel for Kaberle, Budaj and a 2nd.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:09 PM
  #582
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
i wouldn't be surprised if Kessel, Phaneuf are on the market


though, TOR would probably only deal us depth, and no impact players.

uiCk is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
  #583
skule123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Not to start anything, but Friedman was talking about a conversation he had with Bergevin shortly into the season. Elliotte asked which players he wanted to learn more about, and Bergevin said Eller -- and that all kinds of GMs had called inquiring about his availability. Bergevin sounded like he was willing to wait and watch to understand what he had and why he got so many calls.

skule123 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:14 PM
  #584
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
Tor and Mtl do make trades, right ? Grabovski, Gilmour. Who else ?
Perreault, Tucker and Komi were signed as UFA ?

zzoo is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:14 PM
  #585
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,338
vCash: 500
Is Kulemin considered a depth player because I'd love to see him on the Habs.

Frozenice is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:16 PM
  #586
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
Not to start anything, but Friedman was talking about a conversation he had with Bergevin shortly into the season. Elliotte asked which players he wanted to learn more about, and Bergevin said Eller -- and that all kinds of GMs had called inquiring about his availability. Bergevin sounded like he was willing to wait and watch to understand what he had and why he got so many calls.
Carolina maybe the Leafs I don't see them needing Eller with Lupul, Grabovski and Bozak down the middle. Carolina lost Sutter in the Staal trade and can use a #3 center

Another high draft pick would be nice

Doubt they would be interested in moving McBain or Faulk

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:17 PM
  #587
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
Not to start anything, but Friedman was talking about a conversation he had with Bergevin shortly into the season. Elliotte asked which players he wanted to learn more about, and Bergevin said Eller -- and that all kinds of GMs had called inquiring about his availability. Bergevin sounded like he was willing to wait and watch to understand what he had and why he got so many calls.
well i hope he's got more patience, because he's not getting multiple calls about eller for no reason

uiCk is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:18 PM
  #588
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Tor and Mtl do make trades, right ? Grabovski, Gilmour. Who else ?
Perreault, Tucker and Komi were signed as UFA ?
To me, the most famous one was Kordic for Courtnall.

LePoche69 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:18 PM
  #589
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
we play them saturday
think it was a case of advance scouting?
It was pro scouting. Maybe they're planing on taking another game but they pit stopped in Toronto and took in the game last night. Kind of normal do for scouts now, they need to start taking in games in case the GM calls with questions especially at this time of the year

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
  #590
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,544
vCash: 500
It seems like anytime anybody actually has the ability (i.e. can recognize all NHL scouts on sight) and actually bothers to count, then somehow this count becomes a news story? Do pro scouts really move around from team to team scouting trades? It's not really the main part of their work, is it? It's probably more like just flight schedules naturally synchronizing on certain matches and hubs, while the normal work of game preparation proceeds as the main driver, and all the usual player evaluations are just corollary? Not sure how it adds up to a big deal each time. Maybe it does. I'm just thinking I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that it's anything more than SOP.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
  #591
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
To me, the most famous one was Kordic for Courtnall.
Laraque for Kessel

If only we kept big Georges, if only... Oh Gainey

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
  #592
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It seems like anytime anybody actually has the ability (i.e. can recognize all NHL scouts on sight) and actually bothers to count, then somehow this count becomes a news story? Do pro scouts really move around from team to team scouting trades? It's not really the main part of their work, is it? It's probably more like just flight schedules naturally synchronizing on certain matches and hubs, while the normal work of game preparation proceeds as the main driver, and all the usual player evaluations are just corollary? Not sure how it adds up to a big deal each time. Maybe it does. I'm just thinking I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that it's anything more than SOP.
I think teams are making their reports for the season and sending pro-scouts to all their rival teams to get the books in order for the season. Every point matters so much more than usual.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 01:57 PM
  #593
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Tor and Mtl do make trades, right ? Grabovski, Gilmour. Who else ?
Perreault, Tucker and Komi were signed as UFA ?
Bunny Larocque for 23 year old Robert Picard.

Which in todays game might be roughly the equivalent of Peter Budaj for Jake Gardiner. (very roughly)

Agnostic is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:02 PM
  #594
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Bunny Larocque for 23 year old Robert Picard.

Which in todays game might be roughly the equivalent of Peter Budaj for Jake Gardiner. (very roughly)
But Larocque had a stanley cup ring and I had the chance to try it!

ClasslessGuy is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 02:08 PM
  #595
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Incredibly so. This has to be one of the worst decisions ever....getting Gomez and his contract....letting McDonagh go and letting Koivu go.
A horrible trade and a massacre of the roster.

I noticed that McDonagh hasn't notched a point yet this season, but I expect that to change.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 03:18 PM
  #596
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,537
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
we play them saturday
think it was a case of advance scouting?
only reason.

why would they show up to scout a player.... they already know them all and they have tapes of all the games.

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 03:23 PM
  #597
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
A horrible trade and a massacre of the roster.

I noticed that McDonagh hasn't notched a point yet this season, but I expect that to change.
I don't mind it as much now. If we had kept Koivu and McDonagh there is now way we could of gotten Gally.

googlymoogly is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 03:26 PM
  #598
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Relax, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, and Nail Yakupov will be great players, they just need time. Sometimes great players take a while to develop: John Tavares didn't become a ppg player until his third season for example.

Like the Columbus Blue Jackets, their pre-tank picks, Sam Gagner and Magnus-Paajarvi-Svensson, selected at 6th overall from when they were foolishly trying and thus inevitably failing to make the almighty playoffs, are mediocre at best. However, they also got Justin Schultz and Jordan Eberle, so they're not just dependent on their tank picks to succeed. They nailed some other picks too. Ryan Whitney looks like a good player to have as well.

Edmonton will be a great team real soon. They are already a bubble team.
They are playing awful, I really don't care how "great" you think they will be. Rushing players into a position where they are forced to carry the team is a great way to ruin a prospect. Ask Niderrieder how awesome being rushed into the NHL is.

OneSharpMarble is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
  #599
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
They are playing awful, I really don't care how "great" you think they will be. Rushing players into a position where they are forced to carry the team is a great way to ruin a prospect. Ask Niderrieder how awesome being rushed into the NHL is.
And that is the problem. AGally and BGally are looking good because Therrien is shielding them with a protector and he is line matching well. The Gallies would not look as good if they had to lead the team and face off against the best lines night in night out. This is why you need veterans, tearing up a team and going with all youth never works well.

googlymoogly is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
  #600
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
And that is the problem. AGally and BGally are looking good because Therrien is shielding them with a protector and he is line matching well. The Gallies would not look as good if they had to lead the team and face off against the best lines night in night out. This is why you need veterans, tearing up a team and going with all youth never works well.
Paging LaFleurs Guy and other Tankologists

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.