HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JT Miller and Brandon Mashinter up; Ferriero down (2/18: Mashinter up with Powe out)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 02:45 PM
  #276
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Do people think Miller is likely to become a regular 20 goal scorer? Does he have the hands for that?
I think the expectation is, barring some unforeseen continued development well into his 20s, his ceiling is hopefully right around a consistent 20g scorer. I honestly don't think Miller is realistically expected to be better than a 50 point player at his utmost peak ceiling. Of course, you never know how far a player could exceed expectations by (Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Lundqvist/etc.) but I don't think Miller is expected to translate a serious offensive game to the NHL. He has 2nd line upside and is expected to be a two-way 2nd line guy or excellent third line guy.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:02 PM
  #277
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I think the expectation is, barring some unforeseen continued development well into his 20s, his ceiling is hopefully right around a consistent 20g scorer. I honestly don't think Miller is realistically expected to be better than a 50 point player at his utmost peak ceiling. Of course, you never know how far a player could exceed expectations by (Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Lundqvist/etc.) but I don't think Miller is expected to translate a serious offensive game to the NHL. He has 2nd line upside and is expected to be a two-way 2nd line guy or excellent third line guy.
If we could get a Konowalchuk clone out of Miller I would be more than pleased.

anywhere between 15-25 goals and 40-45 points a year while playing solid defensive hockey and being stiff to play against.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:08 PM
  #278
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Though it's dangerous to compare an 18-year-old to established NHL players, Clark likened Miller's style to that of the Rangers' Brandon Dubinsky and the Kings' Mike Richards.

"He's a Dubi- Mike Richards-type player," Clark said. "Every shift he expends everything he's got. That doesn't vary."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...H48uS2jL0L22OK

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:11 PM
  #279
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I remembered hearing the Mike Richards compairsson, but I also remember the Jeremy Roenick compairsson with Jamie Lundmark as well.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:11 PM
  #280
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Do people think Miller is likely to become a regular 20 goal scorer? Does he have the hands for that?
Yes he does. He has very good hands.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:22 PM
  #281
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Isn't Mike Richards MUCH better than Dubi?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
  #282
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Isn't Mike Richards MUCH better than Dubi?
I feel like they could be very similar players. Biggest difference is Mike Richards knows the type of player he is and executes accordingly.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:28 PM
  #283
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yes he does. He has very good hands.
ok, I just remember seeing his stats on the screen when we drafted him and was thinking he wasn't exactly an offensive dynamo. Then again, you draft kids for what you think they will become, so I certainly was open to the possibility he had untapped potential.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:29 PM
  #284
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatNYR View Post
I hope Miller doesn't light it up. DOn't get me wrong, I hope he become a great player for us, but if he now scores let's say 3-5 points in 3 games, the Rangers might feel pressued to keep him up in the NHL and not allow him to develop properly. Torts isn't one to trust the rookies with big minutes and things will get even harder down the road when the fight for the playoff spots begin.

So in the end it's nice the get a glimpse on Miller in the NHL, but I hope he finishes the season in the minors, learns and comes to camp in August to win a spot on the team.
Or he can play well, give us depth and help us win. But your approach of being petrified that we might ruin him is good too.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
  #285
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
ok, I just remember seeing his stats on the screen when we drafted him and was thinking he wasn't exactly an offensive dynamo. Then again, you draft kids for what you think they will become, so I certainly was open to the possibility he had untapped potential.
He's not supposed to be an offensive dynamo. He's expected to be a 40-60 point two-way player with heart and grit. Good skater. Good strength. Responsible. Team player. Kill penalties. Second PP. Etc.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
  #286
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,662
vCash: 500
I had read that Ryan Kessler was JT's comparison.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:34 PM
  #287
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,001
vCash: 500
There will always be these comparisons made. They are useless imo. Miller has a decent skill level and an outsized compete level to go with his mature outlook. It's a good combination to have in a prospect. The next steps for him should be interesting.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:35 PM
  #288
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
He's not supposed to be an offensive dynamo. He's expected to be a 40-60 point two-way player with heart and grit. Good skater. Good strength. Responsible. Team player. Kill penalties. Second PP. Etc.
Well I was joking when I said offensive dynamo. I mean he had like a handful of goals the season he was drafted.

And there's a pretty big difference between a 40 and a 60 point guy. The former could be 15-25 and the latter 30-30. Sounds like JT is a somewhat safe bet to be a 15-25 guy, but could break the 20 goal mark as well.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:39 PM
  #289
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Well I was joking when I said offensive dynamo. I mean he had like a handful of goals the season he was drafted.

And there's a pretty big difference between a 40 and a 60 point guy. The former could be 15-25 and the latter 30-30. Sounds like JT is a somewhat safe bet to be a 15-25 guy, but could break the 20 goal mark as well.

Yeah, the reason for the large gap between 40-60 is because you have your low end, responsible, 15-20 goals, 20+ assists and you have your high end 20+ goals 25+ assists. Both are gonna be two-way, complete players but ones a guy whose offensive potential never gets fully realized and one is what happens if he develops perfectly and completely hits his ceiling.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:17 PM
  #290
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,295
vCash: 500
Have to say, I have no idea what Miller's looked like in the AHL, but he looks great so far in his first NHL game. He keeps this up, he ain't going back down, contract year burned or no...

Kreider also looks energized playing with him, even coming off an injury.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:33 PM
  #291
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Have to say, I have no idea what Miller's looked like in the AHL, but he looks great so far in his first NHL game. He keeps this up, he ain't going back down, contract year burned or no...

Kreider also looks energized playing with him, even coming off an injury.
Really impressed with Miller.

The team overall? Thats a different story. They just seem like a hodge-podge of mismatched parts right now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:38 PM
  #292
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Totally impressed. Was not expecting him to look like this after watching the WJC. Not that he didn't look good there, but I didn't think he'd be ready to do it at the NHL level. You can tell this kid just wants to be in the NHL.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:38 PM
  #293
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Really impressed with Miller.

The team overall? Thats a different story. They just seem like a hodge-podge of mismatched parts right now.
At least Tortorella finally broke up the big three.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:50 PM
  #294
E-Train
Registered User
 
E-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Totally impressed. Was not expecting him to look like this after watching the WJC. Not that he didn't look good there, but I didn't think he'd be ready to do it at the NHL level. You can tell this kid just wants to be in the NHL.
Thought he looked really good. Wish that shot by Staal would've went in and got JT his first point in GM #1.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:53 PM
  #295
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,387
vCash: 500
From the NTDP, to the OHL, to the WJC, to the AHL, to tonight Miller has consistently played the same game.

Not very flashy overall (though he can have moments). Strong on the puck. Strong on the forecheck. Intelligent passer and intelligent with finding space. Competes in all 3 zones.

Had inconsistent moments in the AHL so I wouldn't pencil him in for the season yet, but it was encouraging to watch him just play his game.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
  #296
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
After watching him in his first NHL game I can see the Dubi comparison. Looked like he plays a very similar game. He might be a better skater than I initially though. Tough to tell off one performance. He Definately surprised me. Really wish either Stall or Stralman could have converted on the plays he sent up. They were beauties!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
  #297
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User
 
LittleKev6D9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middletown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
I've heard comparisons to Jamie Lundmark, Brandon Dubinsky, Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler and Mason Raymond.

Seems like a wiiiiiide range of players there.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
  #298
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
I've heard comparisons to Jamie Lundmark, Brandon Dubinsky, Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler and Mason Raymond.

Seems like a wiiiiiide range of players there.
Either way, he alone is an improvement over Rupp.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
  #299
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
maybe its me, but does anyone think that they are giving Miller a look because they might have another trade in place (B.Boyle) If Miller stays maybe Boyle is the next to go.. Rangers seem like they want to get quicker up front....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:19 PM
  #300
NYRangers723
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
maybe its me, but does anyone think that they are giving Miller a look because they might have another trade in place (B.Boyle) If Miller stays maybe Boyle is the next to go.. Rangers seem like they want to get quicker up front....
never been a big fan of boyle so i think that would be great. I dont care if he is 19 the kid looks more focused and polished than some of our regulars

NYRangers723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.