HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tampa/Buffalo Blockbuster

Old
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
Counter-offer:

To Tampa Bay:

F Thomas Vanek (7.1M per thru 13/14)
D Tyler Myers
G Ryan Miller (6.3M per thru 13/14)

To Buffalo:

F Cory Conacher (0.9M per thru 13/14, then RFA)
F Ryan Malone (4.5M thru 14/15)
F Benoit Pouliot (1.8M thru this season)
D Sami Salo
G Anders Lindback (1.8M thru 13/14, then RFA)

Are we now even on the same ballpark?
Congrats, you've successfully transitioned the proposal from "lose-lose" to "lateral at best for Tampa and a crippling loss for Buffalo."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I don't know what's worse. The OP's proposal, or your responses.

It's without a doubt, completely lopsided in Tampa's favor. Not even close.
Undoubtedly true. But that does not make it actually good or beneficial for Tampa.

Say I have five dollars and you have five dollars. Somebody comes up with a proposal for us to earn more money, but I end up with three dollars and you end up with one. Naturally it's a disaster for you... but is anyone with sense going to claim that I "won"?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Nuck5Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Hedman is our best player so far this season, he will not leave Tampa until we know if he is a top line defender or a Norris Trophy winner and even then SY will not move him.
We have by far the best offense in the NHL even with a little rusty Stamkos (don't look at his stats, they are better than he plays), Sy would be pretty dumb breaking up this offense.
The only way I could see Tampa and Buffalo trade this year are either 3rd/4th line players only or Eric Brewer for a D (Myers) from you (yes I know we would have to add to get Myers for Brewer). The rest of our D is either untouchable or has a NTC (Salo) or is called Brian Lee and plays to bad to get any interest from other teams (as of now)
You have the best offense after the first 8 games of this season. You had the ninth best 2011-2012, so I wouldn't make too much of your offense just yet - 40 games left!

Nuck5Strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:56 PM
KarlssonnSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
Counter-offer:

To Tampa Bay:

D Tyler Myers

To Buffalo:

D Sami Salo

Are we now even on the same ballpark?
This trade would decimate Buffalo, what do they gain exactly? I doubt Buffalo would want Conacher with the young forwards they already have. They give up the best forward, best goalie and best defenseman. Not to mention a defenseman with the one of the best potentials in the league.

I doubt Buffalo would do this deal for 2 of their 3 players let alone all of them.

KarlssonnSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck5Strangler View Post
You have the best offense after the first 8 games of this season. You had the ninth best 2011-2012, so I wouldn't make too much of your offense just yet - 40 games left!
Naw, we will be #1 at the end of the season if everyone remains healthy.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
None Four One

This is a lose-lose situation. Neither team would do it.

Last edited by spiny norman: 02-05-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: not needed
None Four One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Biggest Tampa homer ever.

Buffalo doesn't do this deal
Yeah i'm going to agree with this guy.

Mr Tarkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:28 PM
HoseEmDown

Buffalo has given up the most goals in the league, so whoever says Erhoff is their best defenseman really isn't making a good case for him. It also doesn't look too good on Miller either.
Hedman is not a disappointment and is better than Erhoff now and will only get much better. We have plenty of scoring so we don't need Vanek and his huge contract. Lindback isn't as good as Miller but he hasn't had a chance to show his potential yet, he's doing pretty well so far, is much younger and cheaper than Miller. If we are going to get a goalie for a cup run it would be a rental to push Lindback not to replace him.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:59 PM
threeVo

its hardly been Ehrhoff's fault. Myers - Leopold has been out for so many goals against its unbelievable.

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:06 PM
HoseEmDown

Buffalo has given up the most goals in the league, so whoever says Erhoff is their best defenseman really isn't making a good case for him. It also doesn't look too good on Miller either.
Hedman is not a disappointment and is better than Erhoff now and will only get much better. We have plenty of scoring so we don't need Vanek and his huge contract. Lindback isn't as good as Miller but he hasn't had a chance to show his potential yet, he's doing pretty well so far, is much younger and cheaper than Miller. If we are going to get a goalie for a cup run it would be a rental to push Lindback not to replace him.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Nuck5Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I think you're being short-sighted. You guys gave up the most goals in the league last year (with Hedman in line-up) while Buffalo was in the middle of the pack. Erhoff was a stellar defenseman for the Nucks, Buffalo is lucky to have him!

Nuck5Strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Ehrhoff's been carrying Alex Sulzer, who's never been anything more than a #7 on any of the other teams he's played for, in a top 4 role and they've been our only good D pairing this year. And last year we were middle of the pack in GA and won 70+% of the games Ehrhoff was in the line-up for.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Those kinda stats are best served up at the end of the season not 8-10 games in. Within 3-5 games one team can go from bottom to middling in dumb stats like that.

This thread hasnt been locked yet btw?

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
I can't believe you really think your word, Vanek is one of the best foward in the league, probably in the top 10 and Miller is a great goalie.
Vanek isn't even a top-20 forward, 2 week hot streak won't mean much until we can see proven production through a full season. But IdealisticSniper is taking homerism to a new level right now.

That being said Vanek is easily the best player in this deal, but he has absolutely no fit in the Tampa system, our top-6 all have great chemistry with each other and there's no point messing that up right now. Lecavalier is a hard player to gel with and Vanek doesn't seem to have the playstyle that meshes with him either, and having 2 pure snipers on the first line is just not a good idea.

Ryan Miller is the only piece from Buffalo that would be a serious proven upgrade, but at the risk of losing our future star winger and #1 D-man is just not worth it right now. Cory Conacher will be irreplaceable to the lightning in a couple years, bet on it.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:37 PM
LongWayDown37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Cory Conacher will be irreplaceable to the lightning in a couple years, bet on it.
Holy smokes I'll take that bet. All day long... Doesn't mean he won't be a decent player, but c'mon. What exactly do you consider irreplaceable?

LongWayDown37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Big ouch for Buffalo. I'd do this in a heartbeat if I were Tampa.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Tampa wins this easy.

Vanek for Malone, Pouliot and Conacher?

Hedman for Miller?

Lindback for Ehroff?

HA!

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:02 PM
jgoud

LOL the initial trade is trading the sabres best forward, best defensemen and one of the best goalies in the league. Every time you see blockbuster in the title you know it's going to be a joke. The trade is just as unfair as would be trading Stamkos, St. Louis and Hedman for Pominville, Stafford and Myers

jgoud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Holy hell this is beyond terrible for Tampa. Like I don't even know where to start.

This would be a buffalo fans wet dream.
Are you serious?

Only good piece there is Hedman and maybe Malone, I'm not sold on Conacher, Lindback is a project, Pouliot is a scrub and Salo is old, injury prone, and useless.

Meanwhile, you're getting 2 NHL stars in Vanek and Miller while also getting a very good top 4 defenseman in Ehrhoff.

Last edited by SnS: 02-06-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Are you serious?

Only good piece there is Hedman and maybe Malone, I'm not sold on Conacher, Lindback is a project, Pouliot is a scrub and Salo is old, injury prone, and useless.

Meanwhile, you're getting 2 NHL stars in Vanek and Miller while also getting a very good top 4 defenseman in Ehrhoff.

LOL
Give Hedman two or three years and he is the best player in this deal. This is the first year he is allowed to play his game as a TWD, the last years he was forced to play DD because our D was laughable.
Tampa would get the save return, but the one that doesn't fit in and which could end up being the worser part.

Malone has a lot of value for Tampa, but doesn't have the same on the open market, Salo plays the hell out of his old ass and plays brilliant with Hedman. Pouliot is a great third liner in Tampa, so would play in your top 6. And Conacher (as mentioned often in this thread from guys that actually follow him closely) will surprise
everybody at the end of the season and for the next dozen seasons. He has the same attitude to suceed as St.Louis and learns all he needs from the best undersized player in the NHL.
Oh yes and Lindback is a project with great upside.
Tampa doesn't need/ can't use Vanek and that's why this proposal is awful for Tampa !!!!!!!!

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Give Hedman two or three years and he is the best player in this deal. This is the first you he is allowed to play his game as a TWD, the last years he was needed to play DD because our D was laughable.
Tampa would get the save return, but the one that doesn't fit in and which could end up being the worser part.

Malone has a lot of value for Tampa, but doesn't have the same on the open market, Salo plays the hell out of his old ass and plays brilliant with Hedman. Pouliot is a great third liner in Tampa, so would play in your top 6. And Conacher (as mentioned often in this thread from guys that actually follow him closely) will surprise
everybody at the end of the season and for the next dozen seasons. He has the same attitude to suceed as St.Louis and learns all he needs from the best undersized player in the NHL.
Oh yes and Lindback is a project with great upside.
Tampa doesn't need/ can't use Vanek and that's why this proposal is awful for Tampa !!!!!!!!
Yes I didn't mean Hedman. I was more laughing at Conacher. I agree that Hedman will be the best player in the deal very soon easily. I wouldn't do the deal from a Tampa perspective just because of Hedman. It's just hilarious how IS said that it's incredibly one sided for Tampa with all those mediocre pieces(other than Hedman and I'll take your word for it Conacher).

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:42 PM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 492
Conacher is a superstar.

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Wildcarder

Congratulations, a proposal that fans from both sides absolutely hate!

Wildcarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
To Tampa Bay:

D Christian Ehrhoff (4.0M per thru 20/21)

To Buffalo:

D Victor Hedman (4.0M thru 16/17)

Lightning go all in for at least a couple Cup runs. Sabres begin a comprehensive rebuilding process. Including Malone and Pouliot helps to limit Tampa's payroll increase.
Its not bad 'value' wise. Its just horrible in the long run. Its an unabridged ripoff in Buffalos favor in the long run.

I would pass if I was Yzerman

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

I don't know what's more amazing, this thread making (almost) 5 pages or people not thinking Buffalo gets reamed value wise here. I could understand Tampa not wanting to kill their depth but value-wise the Sabres give up so much more.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:03 PM
NuxFan09

Bad trade for Tampa? Umm, no. Try an awful trade for Buffalo. Besides Hedman and maybe Conacher, it's essentially spare parts for three stud players.

Sorry, IdealisticSniper, you're just being way too much of a homer. You're outnumbered on this one.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote