HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Tribu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I'd get Myles Bell. He was supposed to be a 2nd rounder 2 years ago but he was involved in DUI car crash that left a girl dead. Great hockey player though.
Not against the idea as I think that Bell has some solid skills but I'm not sure Montreal is the best place for him. The huge ammount of medias could easily bring out the DUI incident and create some distractions whit it. May also not be a really good PR move with the fans.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:07 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Seeing him at the end of that list, I was meaning to ask those who watch NCAA what they thought of Hudson Fasching. A friend of mine told me he'd be one to watch with one of our later 2nd rounders or early 3rd.
He's not in the NCAA yet, he plays in the USHL for the USNDTP but they do play exhibition games vs NCAA schools. I saw him once this year, he didn't really stand out too much but have heard a lot of good things about him.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:20 AM
KadoCH

The more I follow Kerby Rychel and the performance of the Habs so far this season looking at a 15-20 type pick in all likely hood I think its a match made in heaven.

Gym rat with skill that works hard in both ends of the ice looks like a match for me.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
The more I follow Kerby Rychel and the performance of the Habs so far this season looking at a 15-20 type pick in all likely hood I think its a match made in heaven.

Gym rat with skill that works hard in both ends of the ice looks like a match for me.
My biggest concern is he is a late birthday, so he is almost a year older than the others in that range. Same for Mantha. Late birthdays usually have had an extra year at that level(CHL) so their numbers will be better than a lot of 1995's.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

What do you think the offensive upside would be for Bo Horvat? I really like the way he plays but to draft him he will have to be enough of a scorer/playmaker to be Top 6 guy at the NHL level.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
KadoCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
My biggest concern is he is a late birthday, so he is almost a year older than the others in that range. Same for Mantha. Late birthdays usually have had an extra year at that level(CHL) so their numbers will be better than a lot of 1995's.
That's understandable, but if you look at his 2nd season (when most players are drafted) he finished 1st on his team in scoring and had 16 more goals then the next closest player. Finished T-2nd at the Hlinka tourney for Canada as well.

I've only gotten to see him play at the prospects game so mostly just been looking at scouting reports like this (Craig Button)

Quote:
Kerby plays with a passion and purpose that is undeniable. He may not be the most fluid skater but he's a very effective and he gets to where he wants to go. He will play nasty and physical, which makes it very uncomfortable for opponents because he simply doesn't allow himself to be denied. He has very good hands and can score in multiple ways and will pay the price to get goals. He plays a rugged style and his line mates will get room and space because he's constantly taking opponents out of the play. He plays with a single-minded focus on helping the team win.
With some smaller or lighter players coming through like Gallagher and Collberg who will hopefully develop in to top 6 players a guy like this could definitely be an asset.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:05 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Well, Calgary is last in the league right now. It would be pretty sweet if the second rounder we got for Cammalleri is in the 31-35 range. Almost like a low first rounder.
I can just imagine the beauty prospects that will slip past the first round into that range. If we got collberg in last year's draft, this year's draft should be even better at that range. I'm hoping for another real high output offensive forward. Boom or bust.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
02-05-2013, 02:11 PM
KadoCH

Quote:
I can just imagine the beauty prospects that will slip past the first round into that range. If we got collberg in last year's draft, this year's draft should be even better at that range. I'm hoping for another real high output offensive forward. Boom or bust.
The 3 second's really does open up the opportunity for a flyer. Artturi Lehkonen is just that kind of boom or bust prospect that could be had with one if he slips.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
That

Quote:

I really liked Rychel at the beginning of the year, then once it started not so much and now I'm back to being a fan. The biggest red flag for me is his inconsistency. Inconsistency in not only finding the back of the net, but the physical element of his game as well. At the beginning of the season he would often carry the puck and shoot... and that was it.

Lately Rychel has become more physical, he drives the net and likes to crash and bang along the boards. He tends to go through stages where he'll be wrecking people every shift and then do nothing the next game. He always brings it to the important games though, that's a huge plus.

Rychel is a very intriguing player for me if we are picking in mid-twenties range. I like that the fact he'll most likely be an NHLer due to his passion, but I'm not sure how his offensive game will translate to the NHL. He has work to do with his puck skills and skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
What do you think the offensive upside would be for Bo Horvat? I really like the way he plays but to draft him he will have to be enough of a scorer/playmaker to be Top 6 guy at the NHL level.
Horvat is the type of player that doesn't really have the identity of a playmaker or a scorer. Now that could be a good thing or bad thing. Is a multi-dimensional offensive threat? Or is he a jack-of-all-trades that does everything well? I tend to lean towards the second, but he still has a lot of qualities that make a threat offensively. He's a good smart passer, has a good shot, goes to the net and is great along the boards. He also has an incredible toe-drag, it's super effective.

Horvat is one of the most intriguing players in this draft for me because of his defensive game and I want to see how good he becomes offensively.

I think he could become a second line player offensively. He'll definitely be a third line, so there's security in picking him, but I'd like someone with more upside.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Another thing about Rychel, he has 2 connections Timmins seems to like: A teammate of one of our prospects (Vail) AND the son of a former NHLer/pro hockey player.

I'm concerned that he's been propped up a bit by Khokhlachev though. His production skyrocketed this year once Koko returned to Windsor in January. Then again, Galchenyuk could do the same.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Yep, moar offense!

I wouldn't much care if we ended up with 4 forwards in the first two rounds. I want Timmins swinging for the fences.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:40 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Yep, moar offense!

I wouldn't much care if we ended up with 4 forwards in the first two rounds. I want Timmins swinging for the fences.
Same as me. Well, I always preach BPA, I'd just be pleased if BPA ended up with 4 great forwards. I've heard some people want a goalie as well this time around, and that this year is a good year to get one.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Another thing about Rychel, he has 2 connections Timmins seems to like: A teammate of one of our prospects (Vail) AND the son of a former NHLer/pro hockey player.

I'm concerned that he's been propped up a bit by Khokhlachev though. His production skyrocketed this year once Koko returned to Windsor in January. Then again, Galchenyuk could do the same.
I'm quite sure Timmins won't take Rychel. His stats suggest he has plateau. Seen Timmins on interviews before say he wants guys on the upswing. Unless he slides to second round

Old
02-05-2013, 03:50 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
In our range for the 1st round.. take a look at Wennberg, Burakowsky or Zykov.

For 3 2nd round picks? I'd look at: Duclair (in the 2nd only), William Carrier and Oliver Bjorkstrand.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:52 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Same as me. Well, I always preach BPA, I'd just be pleased if BPA ended up with 4 great forwards. I've heard some people want a goalie as well this time around, and that this year is a good year to get one.
Where's Grant been lately? Do you know? Last year about this time he was telling us all kinds of **** about where Timmins has been and what prospects he was looking at.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:00 PM
ChoseLa

Myle Bells would be great another defencemen in the mold of Dietz/Thrower.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:01 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

For 3 2nd round picks? I'd look at: Duclair (in the 2nd only), William Carrier and Oliver Bjorkstrand.
The only new news I could find about Buchnevich was a vid of his KHL assist...

...it was a nice assist. But seriously, there's basically 0 information occuring about this guy.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Prospector

Any chance Nichushkin slides to CGY 2nd round pick that we own?

Old
02-05-2013, 04:04 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Any chance Nichushkin slides to CGY 2nd round pick that we own?
Yes, there's a chance. It's just that that probability happens to be exactly 0.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Myle Bells would be great another defencemen in the mold of Dietz/Thrower.
He's playing at the wing at the moment.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Yes, there's a chance. It's just that that probability happens to be exactly 0.
Usually somebody takes a chance on a guy with that much size and skill. Though his hockey sense may limit him to 25-30 goals and 20 assists.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:14 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Usually somebody takes a chance on a guy with that much size and skill. Though his hockey sense may limit him to 25-30 goals and 20 assists.
Yeah if a guy like that starts falling into the 20s, as compared to the top 10 where he's been for a while, someone's going to pick him.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
le_sean

Quote:
The 3 second's really does open up the opportunity for a flyer. Artturi Lehkonen is just that kind of boom or bust prospect that could be had with one if he slips.
Anyone know how Lehkonen compares to Teravainen?

Old
02-05-2013, 04:49 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

I wouldn't pick him until late in the 2nd which ofcourse wouldn't happen. He is your typical daddy's kid. Zero character.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:15 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

tbh, I just have a feeling Duclair won't be anything special. I wouldn't take him in the 1st 3 rounds. That's me though.

Closed Thread