Old
02-05-2013, 12:37 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII
I guess, although I don't think anyone was expecting huge things out of Joyce. He got lumped in unfairly with the whole Olympian fever craze, but he really wasn't a great offensive player. Sammy had a pretty decent career, but that wrist injury really cut his production. Before that he was pretty electric.

It's not like anyone had any can't miss/franchise labels like Seguin did coming in though. I'd maybe throw in a Marius Czerkakwski as the one guy I expected big things out of that never happened for him here, yet he went on to have a pretty good NHL career.

Andy Hilbe - oh god I can't stop laughing.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
I am still pissy about the Joe Thornton trade.....just random confession I needed to get out there.
I'm more pissy about the guys we didn't sign before that lookout .... witch lead to Joe being traded I believe but I'm very happy with Z So I shouldn't complain

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:56 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
he had 29 last year so can we stop acting like he hasn't shown a capability to score goals in the NHL? He's off to a slow start. Every player has cold streaks, so it's really no big deal.
One reason for the slow start in my opinion is that the opposition is much more aware of Tyler now and they are not letting him rev up in the neutral zone with speed.I am not sure what the solution is [perhaps give and go more with Marchand]but I am sure he will start getting his share of points soon.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
I'm more pissy about the guys we didn't sign before that lookout .... witch lead to Joe being traded I believe but I'm very happy with Z So I shouldn't complain
Out with Thornton, in with Chara and Savard. I don't see how anyone could complain about that.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:03 PM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Out with Thornton, in with Chara and Savard. I don't see how anyone could complain about that.
Out with Thornton, in with Stanley (as in Cup). I'll take that trade all day every day.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:36 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Eh, No one has ever been able to convince me that we couldn't have kept Thornton rather than signing Savard and still bringing Chara in. I honestly don't think Joe would have given a crap if he was the captain or not.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:53 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Eh, No one has ever been able to convince me that we couldn't have kept Thornton rather than signing Savard and still bringing Chara in. I honestly don't think Joe would have given a crap if he was the captain or not.
Yeah Chara and Thornton would have been able to both be here...People like fairy tales though...

Problem with Joe is, you would not have been able to get Pervs, Kaberle and Kelly in here that Cup run, because Savard's LTIR money was used ...

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:55 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Yeah Chara and Thornton would have been able to both be here...People like fairy tales though...

Problem with Joe is, you would not have been able to get Pervs, Kaberle and Kelly in here that Cup run, because Savard's LTIR money was used ...
Or Ference since he was acquired with Brad Stuart.

Pining for Joe Thornton is ridiculous.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

Oh yeah, once you get past the first couple iterations, the butterfly effect comes in, and away you go. Maybe they don't win in 2011...maybe they win in 2010...(clearly injured Savvy vs. Healthy Thornton...Krejci's injury doesn't cause a complete collapse because they still have two healthy centers). I've just never been one to subscribe to the theory that trading Thornton was the impetus for all the success the team had. In my mind it was the signing of Chara and Timmy's rise to prominence, neither of which in my mind would have been affected at all by Thornton not being there.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post

Was that poster "pining for Joe Thornton" or were they "pining for a Thornton trade that was painfully one-sided, and not in Boston's favor"?

Because while I don't care that Thornton was dealt away, the subsequent FA signings don't ease my displeasure (of how bad that trade was) all that much. The team could've theoretically added a better piece in that trade AND signed Savard & Chara in the aftermath.

And I don't think that Ference couldn't have been added without Stuart as the piece going to Calgary; that trade was pretty much 4 small pieces so a different cast of characters could've been involved if the team was really bent on acquiring Ference.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:36 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post

I'm glad he is gone... Just saying that it could have been done if thats what they wanted to do, but they didn't thankfully.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:58 PM
sjaustin77

Does he deserve criticism for not scoring? Yes.
Does he need to be more consistent? Yes.
Does he need to be better on the boards? Yes.

Is he actually playing worse than last year, not trying, doesn't work hard, regressed, lost his potential, ruined, or a bust? No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!

He has more SOG/game than last year. His hits pace is more than 2.5 times last year. He is a +5. He is 2nd on the team to Bergeron in Corsi, and relative Corsi.

Marchand has 5 goals. Think any of that has to do with Seguin helping out or getting tighter coverage? Think it had to do with Seguin screening the goalie on 1?

If he doesn't work hard why does he go to the Bio-Steel camps? Why did he go to Switzerland for pocket change and dominate instead of going to Canada to sit on his ass or drink his life away? How did he increase his Pts from 22 to 67 in 1 year?

It is 8 games people. You know who else has 1 or less goals? Bergeron, Perry, Iginla, RNH, Semin, Hejduk, Morrow, Gagne, M Richards, Alfredsson, Voracek, Briere, Clowe, Backes, Kessel, H Sedin, Backstrom, Hartnell (3 games), & Lupul (3 games) and plenty more. Kovalchuk has 2 goals and 5 points with 9 more minutes per game. Ovechkin has 2 goals and 4 points with 4 more minutes per game.

Are all these guys washed up, ruined, not working hard or busts too?

He has hit a post, the knob of the goalies stick, had a goal called back (from the dirty area). His non empty net goal shooting % is zero. Do you think that will continue or maybe over the course of the season he ends about 12% like last year? He would have 3 more goals if he shot his normal %.

Seguin could easily have 4 plus goals and 7 plus points. If this happened in the middle of the year no one would say a thing. The Bruins are 1st in the conference and you would think we were the Leafs. If it isn't trade Krejci, it is Lucic is out of shape, Bourque sucks, we don't have enough skill, scoring, depth, size, player X is overpaid, Rask is injury prone (even though he only has 1 injury ever), or something else.

When is our 1st trade Chara or fire Julien, Chia & Neely thread? Can someone please start one because I'm really looking forward to it?

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
NiKrejci

He needs to man up and stop being a coward along the boards. The rest will come.

NiKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaustin77 View Post

Is he actually playing worse than last year, not trying, doesn't work hard, regressed, lost his potential, ruined, or a bust? No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!

He has more SOG/game than last year. His hits pace is more than 2.5 times last year. He is a +5. He is 2nd on the team to Bergeron in Corsi, and relative Corsi.

Marchand has 5 goals. Think any of that has to do with Seguin helping out or getting tighter coverage? Think it had to do with Seguin screening the goalie on 1?

If he doesn't work hard why does he go to the Bio-Steel camps? Why did he go to Switzerland for pocket change and dominate instead of going to Canada to sit on his ass or drink his life away? How did he increase his Pts from 22 to 67 in 1 year?

It is 8 games people. You know who else has 1 or less goals? Bergeron, Perry, Iginla, RNH, Semin, Hejduk, Morrow, Gagne, M Richards, Alfredsson, Voracek, Briere, Clowe, Backes, Kessel, H Sedin, Backstrom, Hartnell (3 games), & Lupul (3 games) and plenty more. Kovalchuk has 2 goals and 5 points with 9 more minutes per game. Ovechkin has 2 goals and 4 points with 4 more minutes per game.

He has hit a post, the knob of the goalies stick, had a goal called back (from the dirty area). His non empty net goal shooting % is zero. Do you think that will continue or maybe over the course of the season he ends about 12% like last year? He would have 3 more goals if he shot his normal %.

Seguin could easily have 4 plus goals and 7 plus points. If this happened in the middle of the year no one would say a thing. The Bruins are 1st in the conference and you would think we were the Leafs. If it isn't trade Krejci, it is Lucic is out of shape, Bourque sucks, we don't have enough skill, scoring, depth, size, player X is overpaid, Rask is injury prone (even though he only has 1 injury ever), or something else.

When is our 1st trade Chara or fire Julien, Chia & Neely thread? Can someone please start one because I'm really looking forward to it?
Bless you.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:32 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:

Probably one of the best posts I've ever read on this site never mind on this subject. *claps*

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:

And thus came down the hammer.

BLASPHEMOUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Hoping the habs game gets him over the hump. It's that oh so common story that he just needs to get one and the rest will fall into place.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Gotta say, I got a little Seidenberg in my pants the first time I ever saw Chistov play...

What a letdown that guy turned out to be.
Under any other coach here besides Dave Lewis, I would have given him another fair shake, but it was too late by then.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:

This is an awesome post, but I gotta be honest. He could have four goals and I would be annoyed at his effort along the boards. No, he doesn't need to win every battle, and I'm not hung up on him being a "two-way player" or good defensively. I just don't like what I've seen in that area.

It's sad that one poster can't express his doubts (in a nice, non-trolling way) about Seguin without basically being called an idiot or dealing with ridiculous hyperbole. Or without being called a typical Boston fan who has no patience by all those who sit back and shake their heads and roll their eyes.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:57 PM
GloveSave1
- 1 -

He's had a slow start, like a handful of guys on the team. Not totally unexpected. He missed, got robbed, and/or was unlucky early and has been pressing with the shot. Not concerned... just like i'm not concerned about Pevs or Kelly...

We know what the kid can do. He's got all the skills and blessings, but it always takes time to learn what comes with being a wily NHL vet. He'll grow and get there, no doubt.

...and when he does, it's going to be something to behold.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:16 PM
sjaustin77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
This is an awesome post, but I gotta be honest. He could have four goals and I would be annoyed at his effort along the boards. No, he doesn't need to win every battle, and I'm not hung up on him being a "two-way player" or good defensively. I just don't like what I've seen in that area.

It's sad that one poster can't express his doubts (in a nice, non-trolling way) about Seguin without basically being called an idiot or dealing with ridiculous hyperbole. Or without being called a typical Boston fan who has no patience by all those who sit back and shake their heads and roll their eyes.
Thanks.

I don't think it is effort. I see someone who is trying but isn't good at it and the only reason this thread has legs is because he isn't scoring, not because of his board play.

I don't know who or what posts you are referring to. I don't think I called anyone an idiot and the hyperbole is on the side of the critics.

Here are just some of the statements:

He isn't creating anything, he has regressed, he is ruined, lacking hockey sense, afraid to make body contact, doesn't forecheck or backcheck, skill and speed but little finish, one dimensional and overrated, needs to sit in the press box, lazy, and yes someone thinks he will be a huge bust.

1st - It has been 8 games.
2nd - There is very little truth to any of that and none on a lot of it. I have seen little in his first 2+ years that indicates any of that and haven't seen any good argument that backs up these opinions even this year.

He has more shots, hits, & takeaways per game than last year. I'll take his junior , NHL and Swiss career over an 8 game sample to say that he can finish, has pretty good hockey sense and that he won't be a bust.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:34 PM
BergyDGD
Gurley 4 Heisman

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/...ports_history/

thought this was interesting. Not sure if we can call it the greatest Boston trade ever but according to the NESN poll Boston fans think it is. I think I'd want to see long term payoff before I put it with the Parish/McHale and the Varitek/DLowe trade. Definitely has the potential to best the other trades though.

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:46 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Thanks.

I don't think it is effort. I see someone who is trying but isn't good at it and the only reason this thread has legs is because he isn't scoring, not because of his board play.

I don't know who or what posts you are referring to. I don't think I called anyone an idiot and the hyperbole is on the side of the critics.

Here are just some of the statements:

He isn't creating anything, he has regressed, he is ruined, lacking hockey sense, afraid to make body contact, doesn't forecheck or backcheck, skill and speed but little finish, one dimensional and overrated, needs to sit in the press box, lazy, and yes someone thinks he will be a huge bust.

1st - It has been 8 games.
2nd - There is very little truth to any of that and none on a lot of it. I have seen little in his first 2+ years that indicates any of that and haven't seen any good argument that backs up these opinions even this year.

He has more shots, hits, & takeaways per game than last year. I'll take his junior , NHL and Swiss career over an 8 game sample to say that he can finish, has pretty good hockey sense and that he won't be a bust.
You've just got your Bruins glasses on.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:50 AM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Aside from Julien, I'm wondering who is in charge of motivation & the mental aspect of the game. It is clear that Seguin has lost some confidence.

I remember hearing that when Iginla went through a slump a few years back, someone got together a tape of all the goals that he scored. Not only did this make him feel better about himself & gave him some confidence, he also got a little reminder of what it takes to score in this league.

Maybe Seguin needs a little reminder of how dominant he was at the beginning of last year. You know, when people around here were saying that they wouldn't trade him for Crosby, Malkin ...anyone!

774EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:00 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post

If we're talking about the same post, my 'issue' (for lack of a better word) with it was that it referenced how he's not very good compared to other players his own age (and didn't mention who he was making a comparison with) and then referenced the half-dozen guys that he would've preferred (without naming any of them, either) ... so it came across like the same hyperbole that's been running rampant since the season started, like more of a petulant rant than a true conversation-starting observation.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote