HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Assessing RNH season so far

Old
02-05-2013, 03:23 PM
bobbob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Given the minutes he's playing:1st line, unsheltered and only has 2 ES GA so far, and is +1. I think he's actually having the best 2nd season as a center since Crosby/Malkin.

Some people might point to couture's softmore 65 point season. But i felt those were sheltered similar to RNH last year.

You may see his production go down this year, but he's actually becoming a much more complete player.

Also some may say "Majority of his starts are in the offensive zone." This is somewhat true, but it has more to do with minutes played. Ie.) he's seeing the same EV Strength D-zone starts as any other Oiler center, and his extra offensive starts are a result of the oilers putting their best line out to tie games up etc.

His faceoffs are actually pretty good. A few games ago he went 100% (i think 10/10) against Mike Richards.

Also he's still getting a lot of chances. If the chances weren't there i might be a little more worried, but for all the above reasons I think he'll be great.
That Stamkos guy had a pretty good sophomore campaign.

bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:34 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Sophomore slump, The Yakupov is stealing his shine.

THE YAK says know your role and shut your mouth, before he celebrates a line change like he just won the Stanley Cup.

Hey I saw Nail at the Starbucks the other day, when he got his coffee he slid on his knees all the way to the exit door while screaming "**** THE DEKAF".
Haha.......ha.......okay then.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
His game is defensive oriented now. He's become a phenomenal back checker and the reason why his line can play head-to-head with other top lines in the league. Hall and Eberle look to fly the zone almost every time which leaves RNH to do the dirty work down low and spring them. He'll start putting up the points, too smart not to.
Let's not get carried away here...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:09 PM
missinthejets

Not worried about that guy at all. Even when he was putting up points he was never that noticable, he's just a smart player who does a lot of little things well. He's pretty responsible defensively for a guy his age and his line as a whole is not capitalizing on their chances so that automatically hurts the numbers of someone who is primarly a play maker. He's not hurting the team with his play, once that line in general stops trying to be too cute and just gets more pucks to the net the numbers will come.

He's becoming a much more complete player, that line will be fine, the entire team just needs to simplify the offense a little bit. Try for some hard working goals rather than always trying for the highlight reel ones... though you are always hesitant to tell that kind of skill to stop being so skilled.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
His game is defensive oriented now. He's become a phenomenal back checker and the reason why his line can play head-to-head with other top lines in the league. Hall and Eberle look to fly the zone almost every time which leaves RNH to do the dirty work down low and spring them. He'll start putting up the points, too smart not to.
I've noticed this too. What worries me is they're starting to do it to a fault. Eberle leaving the zone early was the reason for the GWG against Vancouver.

Rocket of Russia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Sophomore slump, The Yakupov is stealing his shine.

THE YAK says know your role and shut your mouth, before he celebrates a line change like he just won the Stanley Cup.

Hey I saw Nail at the Starbucks the other day, when he got his coffee he slid on his knees all the way to the exit door while screaming "**** THE DEKAF".
All of this is so stupid, but hilarious at the same time.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:33 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Let's not get carried away here...
He actually has top notch stick work on the back check and not many passes get through him.

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:55 PM
HockeyGuy1975

I think RNH is the best young player in the league. I think he will win multiple Hart Trophies in the next 10 years. Anyone else think the same?

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1975 View Post
I think RNH is the best young player in the league. I think he will win multiple Hart Trophies in the next 10 years. Anyone else think the same?
yup, he will. better than sid/taveras/malkin/stammer.

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Kids are not being sheltered anymore. While I agree with that, I think they should be split up. After Gagner's 8-point game Hall said he "wants to play with him" so slotting Gagner between Hall and Ebs is a no-brainer. I'd like to see a Harti-Nuge-Yak line too. But I'm just an armchair GM, what do I know?

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote