HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Have you ever had an SO say to you no hockey when we can spend time together doing,

Old
02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
JR97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I started playing in April. At first it was just on Sundays. Then I added in Tuesday nights, and eventually Saturday night instructional league. Tuesday and Sat. aren't set leagues, so no biggie if I missed. I added a Monday night league in September and stopped going on Tuesdays, so 3X per week.
Will you marry me?

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR97 View Post
Will you marry me?
It might get a little awkward having two husbands on the ice with me!

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:46 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
the best thing i ever heard someone say to their wife that has since transcended into a lot of guys i play with using variations of it was "i commited to play on this hockey team, that means when i say i will be there, i will be there, thats what committment is, jut like our marriage is a commitment, i take comittment very seriously"

lol its joke to us now but ti worked at the time.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I bet he slept on the couch for that one.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:52 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
It might get a little awkward having two husbands on the ice with me!
Move to Utah

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:24 PM
JR97

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Move to Utah
I am in Utah. But here it works the other way around... 2 or more wives.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:32 AM
BADoglick

If my girlfriend didn't support me playing hockey, she wouldn't be my girlfriend, end of story. It's my favorite thing to do, and no one is stopping me from doing it. It's my one escape, the one thing I look forward to every week, and it's only an hour a week (I play in a roller rec league). My girlfriend comes with me to watch if she's not working or teaching dance (her physical escape). I always take her to dinner before...usually something light so I'm not sick while playing but something tasty and relatively healthy as opposed to fast food...like tonight we went to Panera. Or if we have time we go to Outback, cause I get 50% off as an employee there. So I try to help make it worth it for her. That's probably where we'll go next week...unless we're short on time then maybe Boston Market.

BADoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:31 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADoglick View Post
If my girlfriend didn't support me playing hockey, she wouldn't be my girlfriend, end of story. It's my favorite thing to do, and no one is stopping me from doing it. It's my one escape, the one thing I look forward to every week, and it's only an hour a week (I play in a roller rec league). My girlfriend comes with me to watch if she's not working or teaching dance (her physical escape). I always take her to dinner before...usually something light so I'm not sick while playing but something tasty and relatively healthy as opposed to fast food...like tonight we went to Panera. Or if we have time we go to Outback, cause I get 50% off as an employee there. So I try to help make it worth it for her. That's probably where we'll go next week...unless we're short on time then maybe Boston Market.

On what, 98% sure, will be the last time she ever sees me ref or skate, 3 Saturdays ago, after she saw me play, my way of saying thanks? Taking her to the new Ferris Wheel that is 200 feet high, that they have on the waterfront here. I could afford it, so I didn't think too much of it at the time, but that was something that was on her big time bucket list.
So, I was very thoughtful of doing what you described.
Just really stinks, since, if you're really in love, that could have been negotiated. I thought it was.

Last edited by beenhereandthere: 02-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
bigbadbruins1

Unless I played 5+ times a week I would immediately leave and go to hockey. any girl that can't give you the time to play the sport you love and makes you happy doesn't deserve your time.

I would understand the anger if you spent no time with them and only played hockey, but you would have to pay a lot of ****ing coin to play hockey 4-7 times a week.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Wizeman*

I gotta be pretty blunt here , so I hope nobody is offended.

For my wife to get me to pay attention to her while the Canucks are playing, it would have to involve sex.

If it was the playoffs, probably that wouldnt even do it . If the game was in over time, a nuclear blast could go off in the front yard and I wouldnt hear it.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Malreg

I coach two minor hockey teams and I play on Tuesday nights. I've been coaching since the beginning of our relationship, and she knows that it's a big part of my life and something I love doing.

The playing on Tuesday's doesn't really bother her since it's so late at night that she's already going to bed by the time I leave! Downfall is I'm totally dead the next day at work lol.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:51 PM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
I coach two minor hockey teams and I play on Tuesday nights. I've been coaching since the beginning of our relationship, and she knows that it's a big part of my life and something I love doing.

The playing on Tuesday's doesn't really bother her since it's so late at night that she's already going to bed by the time I leave! Downfall is I'm totally dead the next day at work lol.
That's about all I did,(instead of coaching, though, I refd) however, for some reason, almost without warning, my games ending around midnight, (or referring) which meant getting to her place, past 1230a, started to irk her big time.
It wasn't like I was even going for beers afterwards.
Welcome to the world of adult hockey, if you can have a skate that gets over before 900p, at night, consider yourself lucky.
She didn't get that.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Jisatsu

Quote:
Not to sound sexist, but it's actually cool, to get men's input for this.
Again, though, even with up to 3 skates (2 drop ins and 1 refereeing, that doesn't even happen every week, refffing, which is an actual job) it's still at least 75% plus of mutual free time that I spend with her.
In the Seattle/Tacoma area, save for a 530a skate on a Saturday AM, there aren't any AM skates that I'm aware of.
Everett has drop in hockey sun, mon, tues, thurs, fri am at 6am to 8am. Fridays have a pretty good turn out for a drop in game, sundays are usually a kid fest, and the rest of the days are hit and miss.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:48 AM
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES

I have been married for just shy of 10 years. When I met her (we dated for a year) I played everyday, sometimes twice a day and coached a local team. She was really cool for that first year.

When we got married it was the honeymoon phase so I did not opt to go play hockey a lot. After about six months of marriage I decided to say "so this Friday night I am going to go tend net for the mens group" I just got the why don't you want to be with me. So I did not play for a full year (that is up to 1.5 years). I was really annoyed all the time, I was just angry all the time. Finally I told her, I must play at least once a week or I am going to go nuts. Man that was a fight, she hated me playing at nights, she never has, nor probably never will feel comfortable at home alone at night, that is a whole other bag of issues there.

So I have not played since 2008 (well not on a rink), since we have moved to California. I get some ball hockey going with the neighbors Dads and kids, and we have fun. Finally this weekend I will be able to get some time playing again (outdoor roller hockey for the time being, I have not always been a fan of roller hockey, but hockey is hockey at this point).

Pretty much as long as I communicate with her that my intention is not to replace her with hockey, she is pretty cool. Plus when I am not taking time for myself I can always take care of our kid and let her go do what she wants too. She likes that a lot, she learned that she can enjoy some time to her self (nearly 10 years of marriage later, I suppose she was pretty young when we got married).

Wow I got wandering there. lol

Cotton McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:32 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

This thread has made me appreciate my GF much more.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:42 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

i have had this issue in the past with past girls but my wife understands fully that hockey isnt just hockey for me. I once heard a guy tell his wife when questioned about hockey "I made a commitment to this team a long time ago and i hold up my end of the commitment, just like our marriage".

Personally i have 4 kids 7 to newborn and i still play 1-2 times a week. most games are after the kids are in bed and occasionally i will miss a game if one of the kids has hockey/soccer/lacrosse etc.

just talk with her and explain to her that it isnt just playing hockey, its social interaction with your friends, it is exercise and it is a release of stress from work and life in general. if she doesnt understand that its part of your life then tell her to beat it.

our team has lost a few players over the years from controlling wives including one that came right in the room and chewed the dude out in front of the whole team. i stood up for him which probably didnt help any but someone had to say something.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:46 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman* View Post
I gotta be pretty blunt here , so I hope nobody is offended.

For my wife to get me to pay attention to her while the Canucks are playing, it would have to involve sex.

If it was the playoffs, probably that wouldnt even do it . If the game was in over time, a nuclear blast could go off in the front yard and I wouldnt hear it.
off topic a bit but tuesday night we played a game and there was a TV in the lobby as i was leaving myself and a dude from the other team i had literally punched in the face 30 mins before were both standing in the lobby watching the end of the sharks/kings game. i glance to my right and there is a pretty girl holding a coffee with her mouth and her hands full of a blanket and tablet and purse trying to open the door presumably to watch her man play after us. neither of us opened the door and after she walked away we both kinda looked at each other and laughed and said "playoffs man, what did she expect?"

Old
05-23-2013, 09:20 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
BTW, we aren't married, but been together for just over 1/2 a year and for sure talked about serious future plans (at least moving in together). During the 1st 3 months of this though, she really didn't verbalize issues with me and my hockey and other sports, don't know what has happened during the last 3 (again, still spending 75-80% of our mutual free time together, not including actual sleeping during sleepovers, which would make that more like 90% plus).
IMO, unless you like to be controlled by a woman you're in trouble. Take her hobby or passion and tell her it's time to scale it back or stop altogether and she'll fly off the handle. If you enter into a relationship and know full well what the person likes to do and then slowly try to take that away from them it's a bad sign, very passive-aggressive behavior and only the beginning of a systematic castration. Next thing you know she'll tell you it's time for the dog to find a new home because she wants to start adopting cats, the panties start to get bigger and bigger and there's always an excuse when it comes time to "consumate" the relationship. You're well on your way to being the guy who always has to "ask the wife" which is the lowest form of man.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote