HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Ticket prices are getting ridiculous.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:44 PM
berklon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Aren't you hoping for a team to come back to Quebec city and willing to put up with high ticket prices? I love the irony here.
I would like to see a team in Quebec City, but I live in Hamilton - so that point is moot.

Regardless, I'll let other people pay the high ticket prices. I have to look out for #1 and my wallet. After all, it's only sports/entertainment - money is real.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
People don't have a "right" to watch their favorite hockey team play live. If you think tickets are too expensive, don't go.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
With all due respect; I think people don't realize how much money some people have/make/inherit.

I have 3 season tickets w/ the Canucks - $21,000 a year. That's about 10% of my income spent on the team. Pretty reasonable is you ask me.

Yeah, sure... that's reasonable to YOU. You apparently make 210k a year.
The vast majority of people don't make anywhere near that much money.

In any case, people have the opportunity to vote with their wallets. If people want to spend 30-50% or more of their income on season tickets, they can go nuts. It's supply and demand. However, I'm not going to shed a single tear if they lose their job and have little money saved up to get them through. We have to live with the decisions we make.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:13 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Ticket prices aren't high enough if cities are selling out.

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
MISC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post

Yeah, sure... that's reasonable to YOU. You apparently make 210k a year.
The vast majority of people don't make anywhere near that much money.
I was speaking on a larger scale. Lots of decent income earners in TO, VAN, EDM and CAL. Not surprising to see wealthy people doing wealthy things.

158 dollars per seats is pretty reasonable to a large number of people in these cities...is better sounding.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Gnashville
Why? Poile Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
Lol and this is the actual problem where my ticket money is being spent to subsidies yours.
Do you honestly think if the NHL did away with markets you don't like and revenue sharing in general that prices would go down.??

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:41 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Do you honestly think if the NHL did away with markets you don't like and revenue sharing in general that prices would go down.??
If anything, the lack of teams would mean a shorter schedule and fewer games, meaning that demand would increase, meaning ticket prices would increase.

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:00 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
basic understanding of economics.

ticket prices have nothing to do with teams' costs. If revenue sharing was gone, ticket prices in montreal, toronto, new york, etc dont go down, the owners of those teams just pocket more profits.

Seriously, this should be in high school education.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Schalkenullvier*

well that happens if you have franchises with owners instead of actual clubs owned by its own members: they seek for most profits, instead of setting the priorities on winning or feeling comitted to the local community (and thus giving everyone a chance to go see a game once in a while). Happens in the US, happens in english football now too.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:04 AM
nitz

I literally cannot afford to go to games in Edmonton unless they're 300 level seats where I have to sit with the rowdy drunks. No thanks.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Confucius

Quote:
I was speaking on a larger scale. Lots of decent income earners in TO, VAN, EDM and CAL. Not surprising to see wealthy people doing wealthy things.

158 dollars per seats is pretty reasonable to a large number of people in these cities...is better sounding.
Yep and many people blow the same 158 on dinner for two. The average working guy who gets to go to a Leaf game and sit in the lower bowl either won them or got them given to him. Then again with 6 million people in the GTA it's pretty easy to understand up to 10,000 fans a game make it a once or twice a year thing.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

I feel bad, I really do...

but you know how the NFL makes so much money? The cheapest Giants or Jets game ticket is.....

$125.. and that is on Stubhub on the day of a game... For a top level, diagonal corner seat, which is absolute worst seat you can get for an NFL game. Not all tickets are like this... Atlanta Falcons tickets are less than $30 to sit in the lower bowl, but it goes to show you big markets make big money.

The NHL wants to generate revenue. This is how they'll do it.

TheTakedown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
With all due respect; I think people don't realize how much money some people have/make/inherit.

I have 3 season tickets w/ the Canucks - $21,000 a year. That's about 10% of my income spent on the team. Pretty reasonable is you ask me.
So, you tithe to the NHL lol

I only give them 5%, so I half-tithe

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
The market determines the prices.
and the market is always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
basic understanding of economics.

Seriously, this should be in high school education.
it is, but you what they say about kids nowadays paying atten... what?

GuelphStormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Ari91

Supply and demand. It's really that simple.

Making tickets cheaper in areas with high demand will do no good for the consumers because it just means that scalpers will buy up more tickets and make even bigger profit margins when they resell the tickets on the secondary market.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:

Living the life, eh?

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
No but it`s quite annoying that some markets have their tickets dramatically under priced.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:

Are you trying to tell us, that you spend about a sixth of your after tax wages on canucks tickets.

Dude you really need to clarify your statements if you think your making a reasonable argument.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
sh724

Quote:
No but it`s quite annoying that some markets have their tickets dramatically under priced.
Except they are not drastically under priced the team did a revenue maximization study and determined what would make them the most money. If a team could set prices at $30k a ticket and sell one every game and make $30 a game they would do that over charging $1 a ticket and sell out 20k seats a game every game, obviously it is not that simple because of concessions merch parking etc. but teams have to find the point where they maximize revenue regardless of how many seats are sold. Every city is different some markets can charge more than others.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

MISC never fails to make everyone know how much money he makes a year on every topic

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Gnashville
Why? Poile Why??

Quote:
Instead of being upset at what others pay, Just be happy the game is still affordable for some fans. Also understand some owners only care about breaking even. Owners interested in making money tend to buy the large traditional market teams. Also owners that want to be fan friendly and don't care about profits tend to own smaller non-traditional teams. Craig Leipold only cared about making money. He made Mr Krabs look generous while here in Nashville. When he saw he was going to have to spend money and risk losing he sold the Predators and bought the Wild. Each owner is different as is each market.

Also understand there is a max pay in to RS. No one is robbing the Leafs of all their profits. They are not sending checks out to 10 teams they pay a certain amount and it's distributed to the qualifying teams. They are making 20 million on top of their RS commitments. So they are pocketing more money than they are paying into the system.

Last edited by Gnashville: 02-06-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:27 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
MISC never fails to make everyone know how much money he makes a year on every topic
What`s more absurd is he admits to spending a 6th of his after tax income on season tickets.

Having such poor spending habits would seem to be rather embarrassing to many in his tax bracket.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:51 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
What makes you think anyone is looking for your pity?

If (when) Phx moves, will tml tix prices go down? Of course not.

And how does someone "actively root" for a team's demise?
Pins and Coyote voodoo dolls?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Yep and many people blow the same 158 on dinner for two. The average working guy who gets to go to a Leaf game and sit in the lower bowl either won them or got them given to him. Then again with 6 million people in the GTA it's pretty easy to understand up to 10,000 fans a game make it a once or twice a year thing.
Maybe the average working guy should have worked harder to be smarter so he could get a better job and enjoy the finer things in life, like PR seats at a Kings' game.

Last edited by KINGS17: 02-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
HamiltonFan
bettman's a Weasel

Quote:
No, but the presence of too many southern market money bleeders is what causes lockouts every 7 years or so. The southern teams rob the fans of the wealthy markets of anywhere between a half and a full season of hockey every time the CBA comes up for renegotiation.

Ticket prices in some of the wealthy markets, especially southern ontario, would go down if more teams were placed in the markets, so resentment of southern markets and their $10 ticket prices is understandable as long as they continue to exist while southern ontario continues to get ignored. To get lower bowl season tickets in toronto, you first have to pay a seat license fee of approximately $70,000.00, which gives you the 'privilege' of then paying about $600 per pair of tickets per game. Fans in Tampa, Phoenix etc., notice that I said $600 per game, not per season.

HamiltonFan is offline   Reply With Quote