HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AVS vs STARS - 7PM MST, Duke almost had it at the end

Old
02-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Is Klee still a UFA?
How about Boughner? Maybe he can coach while he's at it to.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Gusarov can play, coach, and have his trash service haul away Matt Hunwick. Give him a call.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I was comparing relative costs, not suggesting we send O'Byrne for Weber.

O'Byrne cost us a decent, but not spectacular prospect in Bournival. If Weber can be had for the same (Nermark? I'm just guessing here) then I'd be okay with that deal. But since Weber has more potential upside, I would assume it'd take more than that.
The Habs really like Bournival in the AHL , he's gonna play in the NHL soon and he will be a regular on a checking role, for a long time . That trade was a mistake back then , and i'm not changing my mind. ROB was 7th or 8th on their Dman depth chart , he didnt have his place in the Habs regular top 6... God was even scoring in his own net .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
The Habs really like Bournival in the AHL , he's gonna play in the NHL soon and he will be a regular on a checking role, for a long time . That trade was a mistake back then , and i'm not changing my mind. ROB was 7th or 8th on their Dman depth chart , he didnt have his place in the Habs regular top 6... God was even scoring in his own net .
The Avs valued Bournival very highly, I believe they even traded up in the round to get him, so it was a relatively high price to pay, but IMO it wasn't a mistake. O'Byrne's impact was immediate on a team that was too small and too soft on the blueline, and he and Liles worked extraordinarily well together. The change of scenery did him some good since he had become superfluous in Montreal.

The Avs realized they had to address an immediate need and did so very well. It's just too bad they proceeded to overdo it afterwards and force O'Byrne to pair up with a bunch of defenders who are nearly as bad at moving the puck as he is. Prior to this season he provided much needed physicality and was solid on the PK. The fact that he's struggling is as much on the very poor makeup of the defense overall as it is on him.

Bournival will likely be a very, very solid player in the NHL, but he won't be a star. Decent, not spectacular. We can only hope guys like Nermark, Heard, and/or Condon make us forget about him.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
The Avs valued Bournival very highly, I believe they even traded up in the round to get him, so it was a relatively high price to pay, but IMO it wasn't a mistake. O'Byrne's impact was immediate on a team that was too small and too soft on the blueline, and he and Liles worked extraordinarily well together. The change of scenery did him some good since he had become superfluous in Montreal.

The Avs realized they had to address an immediate need and did so very well. It's just too bad they proceeded to overdo it afterwards and force O'Byrne to pair up with a bunch of defenders who are nearly as bad at moving the puck as he is. Prior to this season he provided much needed physicality and was solid on the PK. The fact that he's struggling is as much on the very poor makeup of the defense overall as it is on him.

Bournival will likely be a very, very solid player in the NHL, but he won't be a star. Decent, not spectacular. We can only hope guys like Nermark, Heard, and/or Condon make us forget about him.
Well alot of the players after a trade have immediate success. But after a while , "normal" always come up to the surface . i'm not arguing that we didnt need a guy like him on the D , just saying that the price was too high for a guy that the Habs would have traded for a bag of pucks , at one point. ROB was a scapegoat in Montreal and when they traded him , Thier fans couldnt believe the players they got in return when they saw the vid of MichaŽl Bournival's combine on Youtube . Add to that the fact that he was a guy from the Q league ( which itself is a point that adds value to a player that we trade to Montreal and all 29 other GMs should be aware of this ) . Bottom line is that we have given too much to acquire this player.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Well alot of the players after a trade have immediate success. But after a while , "normal" always come up to the surface . i'm not arguing that we didnt need a guy like him on the D , just saying that the price was too high for a guy that the Habs would have traded for a bag of pucks , at one point. ROB was a scapegoat in Montreal and when they traded him , Thier fans couldnt believe the players they got in return when they saw the vid of MichaŽl Bournival's combine on Youtube . Add to that the fact that he was a guy from the Q league ( which itself is a point that adds value to a player that we trade to Montreal and all 29 other GMs should be aware of this ) . Bottom line is that we have given too much to acquire this player.
Maybe we did overpay, we'll see. Like the Shattenkirk deal, I like to think they did it because they felt they had the organizational depth to offset the loss. The Habs were dealing from a position of strength. They were in no hurry to deal O'Byrne, so they could wait until something better than a bag of pucks came along.

I don't think O'Byrne's success was simply the result of a new player going on a hot streak. His success has been far more sustained than that, especially when you consider he's really a depth defenseman who's had to play a top-four (and earlier, top-two) role since coming here. The fact that they've actually managed to exacerbate rather than address the defensive depth issue since acquiring him is on management. By this point, O'Byrne and Wilson should be the 6/7th guys on this team. Instead they're key cogs on a defense full of 6/7th guys.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Maybe we did overpay, we'll see. Like the Shattenkirk deal, I like to think they did it because they felt they had the organizational depth to offset the loss. The Habs were dealing from a position of strength. They were in no hurry to deal O'Byrne, so they could wait until something better than a bag of pucks came along.

I don't think O'Byrne's success was simply the result of a new player going on a hot streak. His success has been far more sustained than that, especially when you consider he's really a depth defenseman who's had to play a top-four (and earlier, top-two) role since coming here. The fact that they've actually managed to exacerbate rather than address the defensive depth issue since acquiring him is on management. By this point, O'Byrne and Wilson should be the 6/7th guys on this team. Instead they're key cogs on a defense full of 6/7th guys.
It's a bit hard to compare Rob's trade with the EJ trade . O'Byrne wasnt even a regular with the Habs , no matter how good they were on the D at that time . He was getting nowhere with Montreal, pretty much a trade bait . EJ, on the other hand , was a first overall draft choice with insane upside .

Old
02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
It's a bit hard to compare Rob's trade with the EJ trade . O'Byrne wasnt even a regular with the Habs , no matter how good they were on the D at that time . He was getting nowhere with Montreal, pretty much a trade bait . EJ, on the other hand , was a first overall draft choice with insane upside .
I'm only comparing it insofar as the rationalization that the Avs likely felt they had other players in the organization that were similar to Bournival, just like they felt they had other prospects (Elliott/Barrie) that could eventually do what Shattenkirk did.

Again, Montreal had the luxury to hold onto O'Byrne, they had (and still have) a lot of defensive depth, and I believe they were doing relatively well at the time of the trade. There was no urgency whatsoever on their part, so they could wait for the right price, much like Gillis is waiting until he gets what he feels is good value for Luongo. The Avs were not dealing from a position of strength.

We may end up regretting the deal, but I still feel we got great value in return regardless, though I acknowledge it was a potentially high price to pay. Let's keep in mind though that while Bournival may end up being a solid NHLer for years to come, he was a player taken in the third round. I don't think he's going to be a big star, but if he does, I'll eat my words.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm only comparing it insofar as the rationalization that the Avs likely felt they had other players in the organization that were similar to Bournival, just like they felt they had other prospects (Elliott/Barrie) that could eventually do what Shattenkirk did.

Again, Montreal had the luxury to hold onto O'Byrne, they had (and still have) a lot of defensive depth, and I believe they were doing relatively well at the time of the trade. There was no urgency whatsoever on their part, so they could wait for the right price, much like Gillis is waiting until he gets what he feels is good value for Luongo. The Avs were not dealing from a position of strength.

We may end up regretting the deal, but I still feel we got great value in return regardless, though I acknowledge it was a potentially high price to pay. Let's keep in mind though that while Bournival may end up being a solid NHLer for years to come, he was a player taken in the third round. I don't think he's going to be a big star, but if he does, I'll eat my words.

naaa dont worry , i'm not that kind of guy

Old
02-05-2013, 10:39 PM
The Shermanator
Butts

vCash: 50
Av-merican, that pitbull bud light commercial IS pretty annoying.

The Shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Av-merican, that pitbull bud light commercial IS pretty annoying.
Whoa, forgot I put my Twitter handle on here. But yes...it is.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:45 PM
The Shermanator
Butts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Whoa, forgot I put my Twitter handle on here. But yes...it is.
I haven't actually seen it, I'm just mad at you for not following me back.

Trying to beat JWK to 250 followers afterall

You should come by the lounge more often.

The Shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote