HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thanks for screwing us over (JVR)

Old
02-03-2013, 10:59 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

vCash: 500
I don't know...Luke Schenn apart from his physical play the last couple of games has looked pretty crappy.....giveaways...getting out of position by looking for big hits etc. etc.

NO BUENO...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Ryker

Yeah, I don't know, I think with him you get both, the good plays and the bad plays. He doesn't seem to be a guy who plays "average".

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:55 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I don't know...Luke Schenn apart from his physical play the last couple of games has looked pretty crappy.....giveaways...getting out of position by looking for big hits etc. etc.

NO BUENO...
I fully expect Luke Schenn to be a fan favorite and for most people on this forum to think we got fair value in the trade regardless of what JVR does in Toronto.

Why? Because JVR wasn't very physical and was inconsistent as a 23 year old, which angered 75% of people are here because being physical is the "Flyer way" and because all top-2 draft picks should produce immediately, regardless of if they're coming from the OHL or college.

Furthermore, Luke Schenn is a physical beast who will likely continue to lead the league in hits for several years to come and will also provide quite a few highlight reel hits each year. He plays the perfect "Flyer game" that most fans here love and hence they will forgive him for the turnovers that turn into goals and for the poor offensive instincts, the poor first passes out of the zone, taking himself out of position looking for a big hit, etc.

Matt Carle's turnovers led to goals 5 times last year in 82 games.
Luke Schenn has 2 turnovers that directly led to goals in his last 2 games. The Staal goal against Carolina and the Wolski goal versus the Capitals.

He was also caught puck-watching and lost his man Lecavalier for a goal in the TBL game.

And he deflected a goal in on Bryzgalov in the Pittsburgh game.

I'm not a Luke Schenn hater, I think he's a nice defenseman w/ shutdown potential, but I do think he deserves a fair bit of criticism for his play these last couple games, but I doubt you'll see him get much of that criticism because of the type of game he plays. It's "Flyers Hockey"!

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:42 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
I fully expect Luke Schenn to be a fan favorite and for most people on this forum to think we got fair value in the trade regardless of what JVR does in Toronto.

Why? Because JVR wasn't very physical and was inconsistent as a 23 year old, which angered 75% of people are here because being physical is the "Flyer way" and because all top-2 draft picks should produce immediately, regardless of if they're coming from the OHL or college.

Furthermore, Luke Schenn is a physical beast who will likely continue to lead the league in hits for several years to come and will also provide quite a few highlight reel hits each year. He plays the perfect "Flyer game" that most fans here love and hence they will forgive him for the turnovers that turn into goals and for the poor offensive instincts, the poor first passes out of the zone, taking himself out of position looking for a big hit, etc.

Matt Carle's turnovers led to goals 5 times last year in 82 games.
Luke Schenn has 2 turnovers that directly led to goals in his last 2 games. The Staal goal against Carolina and the Wolski goal versus the Capitals.

He was also caught puck-watching and lost his man Lecavalier for a goal in the TBL game.

And he deflected a goal in on Bryzgalov in the Pittsburgh game.

I'm not a Luke Schenn hater, I think he's a nice defenseman w/ shutdown potential, but I do think he deserves a fair bit of criticism for his play these last couple games, but I doubt you'll see him get much of that criticism because of the type of game he plays. It's "Flyers Hockey"!
I think he had a few rough games (the first two of the season and the most recent two) but other then that he's been very good. I think his inconsistency has to do with the fact that he's only 23 which is very young for a d-man. People forget it took Coburn a while to put it together and on somedays he still looks like s**t. I think he'll be a good 2nd pairing guy in this league for a long time.

With that said IF JVR ever reaches his potential the Flyers lose this trade big time.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post

NO BUENO...
I been saying that since we first got him. I am hoping that Pronger and Kimmo are working with him on picking his spots. Pronger could have destroyed many people out there on the ice but he knew the main thing was keeping players from getting to the net unchecked.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This season (and their careers) is very young. JvR has looked good through the first ten or so games, but so has Schenn. JvR has definitely looked better and has had a better impact for the Leafs, but it is a lot easier to do so as a forward. Schenn has not been outstanding by any means (he also hasn't looked bad; mistakes have been made, sure, but those happen with every player), but there have only been a handful of games played. JvR could crap out the next ten while Schenn plays great. It is far too early, both in the season and in their careers, to say who won or lost the trade. Gotta wait at least until a full 82 game season has been played.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
ClarkeRuled

JVR has both Toronto goals tonight, giving him 6 so far this season.

ClarkeRuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:49 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfaninerie View Post
JVR has both Toronto goals tonight, giving him 6 so far this season.
Wow, I didn't expect that from him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

And like I said on the first page, some leafs fans are stupid and jump to conclusions way too fast.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Sittler 27

Best trades are when both teams are happy, loved Schenn when he was here and wish him the best in Philly, JVR has been good here. On a side note gotta get down there and try 1 of those cheese steaks. Enjoy the season guys.

Sittler 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:57 PM
MountainHawk

I did. Still say we traded the next John LeClair because Homer is a terrible GM with the patience of a 2 year old.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I did. Still say we traded the next John LeClair because Homer is a terrible GM with the patience of a 2 year old.
Doubt he ever nets 50 let alone 3 and another two 40+ goal seasons but if he can get consistent I certainly see him as a 40 goal guy.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
CannedMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
And like I said on the first page, some leafs fans are stupid and jump to conclusions way too fast.
As a Leafs fan, I'd like to chime in here. The guy who started this thread is a moron. Anyone who makes a post like this after a game or two is either trolling hard or doesn't know anything about hockey.

I think this is still a good trade for both clubs, and frankly the two players mirror each other a bit. They're both young, highly touted prospects that have stubbled mostly with consistency. Give Schenn some time and he should be a solid D-man for the Flyers for a long time.

JVR has been inconsistent with us so far... he was wholly ineffective last night (so was the rest of the team) and played really solid tonight with the 2 goals. I think this trade gives each team a piece they need, and frankly, this thread should probably be allowed to fade away.

CannedMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:01 PM
jomas

Quote:
Hey now, every team has fans like that.
It's just Toronto has a lot of them, and they tend to overflow our forum, into other peoples giving the rest a bad rap.

jomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
ignore him
some people are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedMango View Post
The guy who started this thread is a moron. Anyone who makes a post like this after a game or two is either trolling hard or doesn't know anything about hockey.
this.

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Pot calling the kettle black? Schenn could turn into our #1 franchise defender just as easily as JvR being the next LeClair. Give it time before a claim like this is made.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Being straight up, I like this deal for both team.

I do think, overall JvR has a bit more value than Schenn, I don't think it's much of a difference. When you look back on trade proposals on HFB, most Leafs fans had Schenn + for JvR and so did Flyer fans.

Schenn will be a steady #4 shut down guy, who is physical and a leader. And he could be as good as being a #2 elite shut down guy.

JvR seems to be a streaky 2nd line scorer with size, and he could be a streaky 1st line scorer with size.

just imo

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Respectfully i disagree with this........Homer lost a helluva Dman in Pronger, had a few others really banged up etc, and needed a Dman .......Thus the trade of JVR to the leafs..I like JVR and hated seeing him go, but i certainly understand the move, and it probably has lit a fire in JVR that may not of been lit had he stayed......Trades do that to some players.I see both players as players who have not reached their potential yet ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Sorry about the bump, just wanted to let some JVR news out.

Streaky or not, he is playing damn well here in Toronto. He has already totalled his goals from last season with his 10th and 11th tonight in just 18 games.

Also I don't get this argument. Aren't most goal-scorers streaky and inconsistent? JVR also contributes well in other aspects of the game. He consistently plays on PK, goes hard to net, creates good chances 5-on-5 with his speed and size.

I think he has been a pretty solid two-way presence here.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:58 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Sorry about the bump, just wanted to let some JVR news out.

Streaky or not, he is playing damn well here in Toronto. He has already totalled his goals from last season with his 10th and 11th tonight in just 18 games.

Also I don't get this argument. Aren't most goal-scorers streaky and inconsistent? JVR also contributes well in other aspects of the game. He consistently plays on PK, goes hard to net, creates good chances 5-on-5 with his speed and size.

I think he has been a pretty solid two-way presence here.
We totally stole Schenn away from you guys for nothing. JVR is TERRIBLE!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:01 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Two goals tonight? Good for JvR! Stoked for him.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
TheDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
This is one of those strange trades where both teams want to see both players succeed.

Man I loved Luke and hope he kills it for philly, but JVR is just a beaut!

TheDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
MountainHawk

11 goals for JVR in the first 18 games of 4th season.

Just as a comparsion for no reason at all, Leclair had 9 goals through 18 games of 94-95 in his 4th full season.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
JVR is now tied for 2nd in the NHl in goals. Good for him, he's getting a chance to develop the right way, with stablility, reg. linemates, reg. minutes , PP time and PK as well. All things a power forward needs and he didn't get here (bounced from line to line, benched, and having to read , hear and be reminded that the Flyers 'almost' had Patrick Kane. He's really played well up North. He seems to have pretty good chemistry with Kessel.

T Vanek 12
J. Neal 12
S. Stamkos 11
J. Tavares 11
J. van Riemsdyk 11

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:28 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
On behalf of Leafs Nation, I apologize for this thread. JVR is on a new team, under a new coach and is coming off an extremely long offseason because of the lockout. Carlyle also has him playing 3rd line minutes at the moment. This thread is just embarrassing.
This was my post on page 3 right around the time this thread was created. JVR is playing phenomenal hockey here in Toronto. Tied for second in NHL goal scoring right now with players like Stamkos and Tavares. He's been a consistent force ever since Randy Carlyle called him out at the start of the season.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote