HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thanks for screwing us over (JVR)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 10:59 PM
  #176
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,738
vCash: 500
I don't know...Luke Schenn apart from his physical play the last couple of games has looked pretty crappy.....giveaways...getting out of position by looking for big hits etc. etc.

NO BUENO...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:14 PM
  #177
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Yeah, I don't know, I think with him you get both, the good plays and the bad plays. He doesn't seem to be a guy who plays "average".

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:55 AM
  #178
FlyingHigh28*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I don't know...Luke Schenn apart from his physical play the last couple of games has looked pretty crappy.....giveaways...getting out of position by looking for big hits etc. etc.

NO BUENO...
I fully expect Luke Schenn to be a fan favorite and for most people on this forum to think we got fair value in the trade regardless of what JVR does in Toronto.

Why? Because JVR wasn't very physical and was inconsistent as a 23 year old, which angered 75% of people are here because being physical is the "Flyer way" and because all top-2 draft picks should produce immediately, regardless of if they're coming from the OHL or college.

Furthermore, Luke Schenn is a physical beast who will likely continue to lead the league in hits for several years to come and will also provide quite a few highlight reel hits each year. He plays the perfect "Flyer game" that most fans here love and hence they will forgive him for the turnovers that turn into goals and for the poor offensive instincts, the poor first passes out of the zone, taking himself out of position looking for a big hit, etc.

Matt Carle's turnovers led to goals 5 times last year in 82 games.
Luke Schenn has 2 turnovers that directly led to goals in his last 2 games. The Staal goal against Carolina and the Wolski goal versus the Capitals.

He was also caught puck-watching and lost his man Lecavalier for a goal in the TBL game.

And he deflected a goal in on Bryzgalov in the Pittsburgh game.

I'm not a Luke Schenn hater, I think he's a nice defenseman w/ shutdown potential, but I do think he deserves a fair bit of criticism for his play these last couple games, but I doubt you'll see him get much of that criticism because of the type of game he plays. It's "Flyers Hockey"!

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:42 AM
  #179
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
I fully expect Luke Schenn to be a fan favorite and for most people on this forum to think we got fair value in the trade regardless of what JVR does in Toronto.

Why? Because JVR wasn't very physical and was inconsistent as a 23 year old, which angered 75% of people are here because being physical is the "Flyer way" and because all top-2 draft picks should produce immediately, regardless of if they're coming from the OHL or college.

Furthermore, Luke Schenn is a physical beast who will likely continue to lead the league in hits for several years to come and will also provide quite a few highlight reel hits each year. He plays the perfect "Flyer game" that most fans here love and hence they will forgive him for the turnovers that turn into goals and for the poor offensive instincts, the poor first passes out of the zone, taking himself out of position looking for a big hit, etc.

Matt Carle's turnovers led to goals 5 times last year in 82 games.
Luke Schenn has 2 turnovers that directly led to goals in his last 2 games. The Staal goal against Carolina and the Wolski goal versus the Capitals.

He was also caught puck-watching and lost his man Lecavalier for a goal in the TBL game.

And he deflected a goal in on Bryzgalov in the Pittsburgh game.

I'm not a Luke Schenn hater, I think he's a nice defenseman w/ shutdown potential, but I do think he deserves a fair bit of criticism for his play these last couple games, but I doubt you'll see him get much of that criticism because of the type of game he plays. It's "Flyers Hockey"!
I think he had a few rough games (the first two of the season and the most recent two) but other then that he's been very good. I think his inconsistency has to do with the fact that he's only 23 which is very young for a d-man. People forget it took Coburn a while to put it together and on somedays he still looks like s**t. I think he'll be a good 2nd pairing guy in this league for a long time.

With that said IF JVR ever reaches his potential the Flyers lose this trade big time.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
  #180
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I don't know...Luke Schenn apart from his physical play the last couple of games has looked pretty crappy.....giveaways...getting out of position by looking for big hits etc. etc.

NO BUENO...
I been saying that since we first got him. I am hoping that Pronger and Kimmo are working with him on picking his spots. Pronger could have destroyed many people out there on the ice but he knew the main thing was keeping players from getting to the net unchecked.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:01 AM
  #181
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This season (and their careers) is very young. JvR has looked good through the first ten or so games, but so has Schenn. JvR has definitely looked better and has had a better impact for the Leafs, but it is a lot easier to do so as a forward. Schenn has not been outstanding by any means (he also hasn't looked bad; mistakes have been made, sure, but those happen with every player), but there have only been a handful of games played. JvR could crap out the next ten while Schenn plays great. It is far too early, both in the season and in their careers, to say who won or lost the trade. Gotta wait at least until a full 82 game season has been played.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
  #182
ClarkeRuled
Registered User
 
ClarkeRuled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Erie, Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
JVR has both Toronto goals tonight, giving him 6 so far this season.

ClarkeRuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:49 PM
  #183
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfaninerie View Post
JVR has both Toronto goals tonight, giving him 6 so far this season.
Wow, I didn't expect that from him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
  #184
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,176
vCash: 500
And like I said on the first page, some leafs fans are stupid and jump to conclusions way too fast.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:00 PM
  #185
Sittler 27
Registered User
 
Sittler 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Best trades are when both teams are happy, loved Schenn when he was here and wish him the best in Philly, JVR has been good here. On a side note gotta get down there and try 1 of those cheese steaks. Enjoy the season guys.

Sittler 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:57 PM
  #186
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
I did. Still say we traded the next John LeClair because Homer is a terrible GM with the patience of a 2 year old.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
  #187
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I did. Still say we traded the next John LeClair because Homer is a terrible GM with the patience of a 2 year old.
Doubt he ever nets 50 let alone 3 and another two 40+ goal seasons but if he can get consistent I certainly see him as a 40 goal guy.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
  #188
CannedMango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
And like I said on the first page, some leafs fans are stupid and jump to conclusions way too fast.
As a Leafs fan, I'd like to chime in here. The guy who started this thread is a moron. Anyone who makes a post like this after a game or two is either trolling hard or doesn't know anything about hockey.

I think this is still a good trade for both clubs, and frankly the two players mirror each other a bit. They're both young, highly touted prospects that have stubbled mostly with consistency. Give Schenn some time and he should be a solid D-man for the Flyers for a long time.

JVR has been inconsistent with us so far... he was wholly ineffective last night (so was the rest of the team) and played really solid tonight with the 2 goals. I think this trade gives each team a piece they need, and frankly, this thread should probably be allowed to fade away.

CannedMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:01 PM
  #189
jomas
Registered User
 
jomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: snows too much
Country: Canada
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
And like I said on the first page, some leafs fans are stupid and jump to conclusions way too fast.
Hey now, every team has fans like that.
It's just Toronto has a lot of them, and they tend to overflow our forum, into other peoples giving the rest a bad rap.

jomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
  #190
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
And like I said on the first page, some leafs fans are stupid and jump to conclusions way too fast.
ignore him
some people are stupid



Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedMango View Post
The guy who started this thread is a moron. Anyone who makes a post like this after a game or two is either trolling hard or doesn't know anything about hockey.
this.

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:43 AM
  #191
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I did. Still say we traded the next John LeClair because Homer is a terrible GM with the patience of a 2 year old.
Pot calling the kettle black? Schenn could turn into our #1 franchise defender just as easily as JvR being the next LeClair. Give it time before a claim like this is made.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:33 AM
  #192
Hero
Buffy is Back
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,149
vCash: 500
Being straight up, I like this deal for both team.

I do think, overall JvR has a bit more value than Schenn, I don't think it's much of a difference. When you look back on trade proposals on HFB, most Leafs fans had Schenn + for JvR and so did Flyer fans.

Schenn will be a steady #4 shut down guy, who is physical and a leader. And he could be as good as being a #2 elite shut down guy.

JvR seems to be a streaky 2nd line scorer with size, and he could be a streaky 1st line scorer with size.

just imo

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
  #193
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I did. Still say we traded the next John LeClair because Homer is a terrible GM with the patience of a 2 year old.
Respectfully i disagree with this........Homer lost a helluva Dman in Pronger, had a few others really banged up etc, and needed a Dman .......Thus the trade of JVR to the leafs..I like JVR and hated seeing him go, but i certainly understand the move, and it probably has lit a fire in JVR that may not of been lit had he stayed......Trades do that to some players.I see both players as players who have not reached their potential yet ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
  #194
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Sorry about the bump, just wanted to let some JVR news out.

Streaky or not, he is playing damn well here in Toronto. He has already totalled his goals from last season with his 10th and 11th tonight in just 18 games.

Also I don't get this argument. Aren't most goal-scorers streaky and inconsistent? JVR also contributes well in other aspects of the game. He consistently plays on PK, goes hard to net, creates good chances 5-on-5 with his speed and size.

I think he has been a pretty solid two-way presence here.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:58 PM
  #195
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Sorry about the bump, just wanted to let some JVR news out.

Streaky or not, he is playing damn well here in Toronto. He has already totalled his goals from last season with his 10th and 11th tonight in just 18 games.

Also I don't get this argument. Aren't most goal-scorers streaky and inconsistent? JVR also contributes well in other aspects of the game. He consistently plays on PK, goes hard to net, creates good chances 5-on-5 with his speed and size.

I think he has been a pretty solid two-way presence here.
We totally stole Schenn away from you guys for nothing. JVR is TERRIBLE!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:01 PM
  #196
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
Two goals tonight? Good for JvR! Stoked for him.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
  #197
TheDream
Registered User
 
TheDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Two goals tonight? Good for JvR! Stoked for him.
This is one of those strange trades where both teams want to see both players succeed.

Man I loved Luke and hope he kills it for philly, but JVR is just a beaut!

TheDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
  #198
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
11 goals for JVR in the first 18 games of 4th season.

Just as a comparsion for no reason at all, Leclair had 9 goals through 18 games of 94-95 in his 4th full season.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
  #199
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Two goals tonight? Good for JvR! Stoked for him.
JVR is now tied for 2nd in the NHl in goals. Good for him, he's getting a chance to develop the right way, with stablility, reg. linemates, reg. minutes , PP time and PK as well. All things a power forward needs and he didn't get here (bounced from line to line, benched, and having to read , hear and be reminded that the Flyers 'almost' had Patrick Kane. He's really played well up North. He seems to have pretty good chemistry with Kessel.

T Vanek 12
J. Neal 12
S. Stamkos 11
J. Tavares 11
J. van Riemsdyk 11

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:28 PM
  #200
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
On behalf of Leafs Nation, I apologize for this thread. JVR is on a new team, under a new coach and is coming off an extremely long offseason because of the lockout. Carlyle also has him playing 3rd line minutes at the moment. This thread is just embarrassing.
This was my post on page 3 right around the time this thread was created. JVR is playing phenomenal hockey here in Toronto. Tied for second in NHL goal scoring right now with players like Stamkos and Tavares. He's been a consistent force ever since Randy Carlyle called him out at the start of the season.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.