HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

"NHL dream still alive in Connecticut"

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Raliegh Cary has 1.1 million people. How is hartford any worse raleigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
growth rates, state populations and growth rates, and out-of state competition (raleigh gets all of the carolinas to itself more or less, hartford would have connecticut and that's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
#1 Raleigh is usually combined as Raleigh/Durham, or the "triangle" of Raleigh/Durham/Cary, which has 1.8 million people.

#2 Raleigh has no pro sports competition (Bobcats and Panthers play in Charlotte, a couple hours away).

On Hartford' side however is that it is a traditional hockey market, unlike Raliegh...

Fine. CT is the wealthiest state, NC is not. More Money.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:48 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

connecticut itself is already served by new york teams. A new team in connecticut wouldnt draw from out of state as those interests are already served by new york teams and new england (boston) teams.
This I find funny, how many times must it be stated not everyone from a particular state is a fan of the home team. You can't just limit Hartford's reach to just the state of Connecticut. Back in the day they must of had at least 30% of Western Mass since Hartford is closer than Boston, you could get Whalers games all over NE thanks to their deal with SportsChannel(now Comcast SportsNet New England) and their AHL affiliate for a while was the Springfield Indians/Falcons.

I myself prove this line of thinking wrong. Lifetime MA resident, Penguins fan since 1991.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
I would hurt myself laughing if both Hartford and Quebec get teams back--I hope they do

Old
02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Connecticut is still one of the richer states and that is why I think an NHL team can make it there!
CT is a rich state because of all the people who work in New York City.

Get away from the gold coast and its a pretty dingy place.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Le BlueNote
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post

New expansion team : Connecticut Gold Coast Spoiled Whale Eaters. Go Eaters!

Old
02-05-2013, 11:02 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Problems with Connecticut are 1) Hartford is an absolute dump and 2) The Rangers have a following in the southern and eastern part of the state, Bruins in the Northern and Western part. The population is very spread out, so it can't be easy for most people to get to Hartford for a game on a regular basis.

A benefit is Connecticut is a fairly wealthy state per capita, so there are enough people with money who could buy season tickets. The question is will those wealthy people do so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
1. Better than Detroit/Chicago 2. Once you get to the NY/CT border there's plenty of Ranger fans, but in Central CT where there's 1.3 Mil the one's who would be called upon to support the franchise the most the Whalers are still #1 after 15+ years.
Chicago is not a dump. Detroit is, but it is probably still better than Hartford and yes, I have been to all 3 cities. Last time I was in Hartford, I stayed at the Marriot right near the Civic Center. Was in town to ref a tournament. Guys I was with couldn't find anything open in the area at 7pm on a friday.

There might be 1.3M people in Central CT, I would actually have thought there was a little more, but you can't bank on all of them caring enough to buy tickets and support the team.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:03 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing202 View Post
This I find funny, how many times must it be stated not everyone from a particular state is a fan of the home team. You can't just limit Hartford's reach to just the state of Connecticut. Back in the day they must of had at least 30% of Western Mass since Hartford is closer than Boston, you could get Whalers games all over NE thanks to their deal with SportsChannel(now Comcast SportsNet New England) and their AHL affiliate for a while was the Springfield Indians/Falcons.

I myself prove this line of thinking wrong. Lifetime MA resident, Penguins fan since 1991.
How many Penguins games do you attend a year?

Old
02-05-2013, 11:23 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Paid attendance for the Whale / Wolfpack over the last five seasons

12-13 4402 23rd
11-12 4573 23rd
10-11 5695 12th
09-10 4188 18th
08-09 4190 18th

Paid attendance for the Moose over their last five years of their existance

10-11 8404 2nd
09-10 8086 2nd
08-09 7769 2nd
07-08 7807 2nd
06-07 7769 4th

One fan base showed that they supported AAA hockey, the other has not. As much as anything else posted here, this shows to me at least not to expect an NHL team in CT anytime soon.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:30 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post

12-13 4402 23rd
11-12 4573 23rd
10-11 5695 12th
09-10 4188 18th
08-09 4190 18th

Paid attendance for the Moose over their last five years of their existence.

10-11 8404 2nd
09-10 8086 2nd
08-09 7769 2nd
07-08 7807 2nd
06-07 7769 4th

One fan base showed that they supported AAA hockey, the other has not. As much as anything else posted here, this shows to me at least not to expect an NHL team in CT anytime soon.
Not the "they don't support AHL" argument again. I'll give you 5 reasons the AHL doesn't sell in Hartford vs. Winnipeg...

1. Buildings: XL Center is a dump and discourages people from attending events there. On the other hand the MTS Centre was relatively new and state of the art.

2. Other hockey competition: 2 other AHL teams within 45 miles (Sound Tigers & Falcons), Yale hockey and Quinnipiac hockey and the Danbury Whalers. Winnipeg had the whole market to themselves and is there anything else going on in the dead of winter in the Peg?

3. Rangers affiliation: Like it or not this is a big issue (especially the dying days of the Wolf Pack brand - 08-09 & 09-10)

4. Ever since 07' when AEG won the XL Center management bid they've put minimal effort in promoting the team (and might be out in the next couple of days)

5. It's was easy to support True North when they were rumored to be exploring purchasing an NHL franchise.

Wouldn't it be wiser to look at the attendance of both AHL teams in CT as opposed to just Hartford?

Old
02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Not going to happen. I was crushed when the Whalers left but the people with money is the state do not care enough. Simple as that.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Not the "they don't support AHL" argument again. I'll give you 5 reasons the AHL doesn't sell in Hartford vs. Winnipeg...

1. Buildings: XL Center is a dump and discourages people from attending events there. On the other hand the MTS Centre was relatively new and state of the art.

2. Other hockey competition: 2 other AHL teams within 45 miles (Sound Tigers & Falcons), Yale hockey and Quinnipiac hockey and the Danbury Whalers. Winnipeg had the whole market to themselves and is there anything else going on in the dead of winter in the Peg?

3. Rangers affiliation: Like it or not this is a big issue (especially the dying days of the Wolf Pack brand - 08-09 & 09-10)

4. Ever since 07' when AEG won the XL Center management bid they've put minimal effort in promoting the team (and might be out in the next couple of days)

5. It's was easy to support True North when they were rumored to be exploring purchasing an NHL franchise.

Wouldn't it be wiser to look at the attendance of both AHL teams in CT as opposed to just Hartford?

# 2 and # 3 are points I did not consider. Thanks for enlightening me.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Kevyn

There's also the Worcester Sharks and the Providence Bruins about an hour away. The AHL in New England is a very crowded place.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post

12-13 4402 23rd
11-12 4573 23rd
10-11 5695 12th
09-10 4188 18th
08-09 4190 18th

Paid attendance for the Moose over their last five years of their existance

10-11 8404 2nd
09-10 8086 2nd
08-09 7769 2nd
07-08 7807 2nd
06-07 7769 4th

What was the Brigeport Sound Tigers' attendance? They are an hour away from each other.

If they get a team in Hartford, could the Sound Tigers move to Barclays Center with the Islanders and the Connecticut Whale move to Bridgeport?

02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
What was the Brigeport Sound Tigers' attendance? They are an hour away from each other.

If they get a team in Hartford, could the Sound Tigers move to Barclays Center with the Islanders and the Connecticut Whale move to Bridgeport?
5,414. And if the Whalers ever were to come back it would be awesome to have their affiliate in Bridgeport, it could go a long way into making inroads with Western Connecticut

Old
02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post

why would the 2 NY Team switch markets, for their affiliates, kaneone, the reason the Whale left Binghamton for Hartford is the distance (70 m FROM XL to MSG), once Karmanos quit waiting for the state and its development authority, which is a reason why XL hasn't seen a proposed either upgrade or replacement....

b) both Bridgeport AND CT are owned outright by the NHL Partners, after Roy Boe, who also founded Worcester, sold his stake, in the ST, the other issue is Bridgeport has a 20 year lease w/ their arena.... you have to remember the Islanders have tried off and on w/ Nassau County, to give them a new arena to replace NCVMC, after Wang and the Lighthouse Project failed and/or was rejected by said county, it's doubtful Prokhorov and the Brooklyn Nets signed a deal to bring the Islanders to Barclays, by 2015, the short answer is no.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post

While Connecticut, like all states, has some less than desirable areas, to suggest that most of Connecticut is a dingy place is ridiculous.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:03 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
How many Penguins games do you attend a year?
And what does this have to do with anything? Can't be a fan until I spend thousands on tickets or something?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing202 View Post
And what does this have to do with anything? Can't be a fan until I spend thousands on tickets or something?
No, not at all. My brother is also a Pens fan living in Brooklyn. Has been since 1990. The point is, the Penguins do not make a dime off you. The new Hartford team would be expected to make money off the people in connecticut. When you have fans of other teams already in the area, it makes it hard. Yes, maybe they gain fans from Parts of Vermont and New Hampshire, as well. However, if they are not going to games, they are not helping the team survive. The Rangers territory stretches into CT, as does the Bruins territory. Whatever fans Hartford had in western mass are likely bruins, rangers, or fans of other teams.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
No, not at all. My brother is also a Pens fan living in Brooklyn. Has been since 1990. The point is, the Penguins do not make a dime off you. The new Hartford team would be expected to make money off the people in connecticut. When you have fans of other teams already in the area, it makes it hard. Yes, maybe they gain fans from Parts of Vermont and New Hampshire, as well. However, if they are not going to games, they are not helping the team survive. The Rangers territory stretches into CT, as does the Bruins territory. Whatever fans Hartford had in western mass are likely bruins, rangers, or fans of other teams.

Diehard hockey fans would go to the games, and all those rangers, bruins fans would likely go to their team's games when it was in Hartford. I saw plenty of Bruins fans at the Civic center years ago.

Yes, the fanbase is weakened now but I don't think it's the biggest issue. The biggest issue preventing a team in Hartford is the state of the arena and the lack of serious interest in bringing a team here with a new arena.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
NHL Hartford

Very big news out of Hartford http://www.courant.com/business/hc-x...,2927430.story

Old
02-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Le BlueNote
Rookie User

Quote:
Seems like a good news, the renovation of the XL Center is a priority and this new group might get things going pretty soon. NHL dream still alive!

Old
02-07-2013, 05:09 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le BlueNote View Post
Seems like a good news, the renovation of the XL Center is a priority and this new group might get things going pretty soon. NHL dream still alive!
Indeed. The real question right now is how much $$ do you throw at renovations before it becomes more economically feasible to just build a new one?

Old
02-07-2013, 07:04 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le BlueNote View Post
Quote:
Indeed. The real question right now is how much $$ do you throw at renovations before it becomes more economically feasible to just build a new one?
They are doing this for the AHL - and the improvements are modest.

Quote:
The contract is contingent on the group's securing an AHL affiliate for the XL Center, a central issue for those vying to manage the venue.

The management contract for the XL Center expires in August, as does the Connecticut Whale's contract to play a 40-game schedule there. Negotiations to the renew the contract with the New York Rangers AHL affiliate were held up until a new manager was selected.
According to the memo, Global Spectrum also offered the most aggressive, "out-of-pocket" capital investment at $2.75 million for operating the XL Center. Global Spectrum also said it could set aside $1 million a year in a capital reserve account for building improvements. The state would reap nearly $2 million a year, which would go back into the XL Center.
The XL Center in downtown Hartford needs at least $16 million in improvements over the next decade just to sustain its operating systems. An investment of about $30 million is needed for upgrades and a redevelopment would cost $100 million, according to estimates.

Of the XL Center, the memo said: "Global's initial capital focus would be for inclusion of loge boxes in the lower bowl, additional signage and video capacity, VIP lounge in west exhibition hall, additional selling stands, expansion of concourse into vacant mall areas and upgrades to food concessions."

Old
02-07-2013, 07:38 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
They are doing this for the AHL - and the improvements are modest.
Really? So UConn and it's soon to be 3 teams that use the XL Center weren't a consideration in all this? And I don't know if you can call anything that will be around $25-50 mil modest when its only being done to extend the buildings useful life for the short term. The time will soon come where the state will either have to increase funds from "modest" to a significant amount or just build a new arena perhaps in East Hartford next to Rentschler Field.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:40 PM
NHL Hartford

Their doing improvements because there's no other alternative besides shelling out $400 Mil for a new arena. Renovations were going to happen regardless if the AHL stays or not. As it says the article the deal is contingent on Global Spectrum securing an AHL team so at least it's nice to know those in charge understand the importance of the AHL and it's 40+ dates. And perhaps they understand the economic impact an NHL team could have on the region if it returned.

Closed Thread